• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
I would wait for the WiiU. According to RFD, there *may* be a tax free event with discounted WiiU games coming soon at Superstore.
Well I already pre-ordered it at EBgames. I wanted to make sure I'd get it day 1.

Also who is RFD?

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
Most people (espicially my age.) are more or less closed-minded.

I can convince people of my ideals if they think logically, and stop letting emotion determine what's 'right' and 'wrong', and such.

But in general they do not seem to.

EDIT: And societies rules in general do not allow me to even try. This is bad because even though I disregard them, it's almost impossible for me to not look dumb while trying to convince people.
Look bro this is really simple. You get frustrated because of the way things "should" or "shouldn't" be, based on logical reason. There's nothing wrong with that, but the majority of people aren't logical. So logically, you can't force logic on illogical people. The only way you can influence people is by specifically understanding what action yields what result with which person. Life is based on fluid circumstance, and there is no rule set that everything abides by, atleast not when subjectivity is in play, which it always is. Knowing you're right doesn't convince people that you're right. You have to cater to the person you're talking to in order to convey a message. Otherwise you're forcing people to live by your own value system, which is not only morally presumptuous, but an exercise in futility, as you yourself empathize with refusing to change to better suit anyone else's needs.

If you want people to stop frustrating you, you have to know why they frustrate you, and if the reason is something you can't change, you have to change yourself to get over it. This isn't compromising your morals, this is growing as a person.

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
whoa drunk philosphical post. sorry bros. project m is awesome and im super bummed i havent been around for the smashing at our place when people make it out. not having meta knight to fall back on has made for some really awesome development in my play, starting with bowser and then moving on to shiek (who most resembles cammy who i mained in sf4) has been really rewarding and learning new techs and working them in has been tonnes of fun.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
whoa drunk philosphical post. sorry bros. project m is awesome and im super bummed i havent been around for the smashing at our place when people make it out. not having meta knight to fall back on has made for some really awesome development in my play, starting with bowser and then moving on to shiek (who most resembles cammy who i mained in sf4) has been really rewarding and learning new techs and working them in has been tonnes of fun.
Sounds pretty cool. Too bad we couldn't play. =[ Looking forward to seeing what you've got next weekend though!

:005:

Sync.

Smash Champion
Most people (espicially my age.) are more or less closed-minded.

I can convince people of my ideals if they think logically, and stop letting emotion determine what's 'right' and 'wrong', and such.

But in general they do not seem to.

EDIT: And societies rules in general do not allow me to even try. This is bad because even though I disregard them, it's almost impossible for me to not look dumb while trying to convince people.
so basically you're bad

Unfortunately, you need to adapt to society to be successful in it. I do try to be myself when I can but it's important to know when something should and shouldn't be done (I'm not perfect either.).
thank you for being a good player

Not being myself just isn't something I can really bear to do for any period of time.

Society will take what it gets.
so yeah adapt tho

Look bro this is really simple. You get frustrated because of the way things "should" or "shouldn't" be, based on logical reason. There's nothing wrong with that, but the majority of people aren't logical. So logically, you can't force logic on illogical people. The only way you can influence people is by specifically understanding what action yields what result with which person. Life is based on fluid circumstance, and there is no rule set that everything abides by, atleast not when subjectivity is in play, which it always is. Knowing you're right doesn't convince people that you're right. You have to cater to the person you're talking to in order to convey a message. Otherwise you're forcing people to live by your own value system, which is not only morally presumptuous, but an exercise in futility, as you yourself empathize with refusing to change to better suit anyone else's needs.

If you want people to stop frustrating you, you have to know why they frustrate you, and if the reason is something you can't change, you have to change yourself to get over it. This isn't compromising your morals, this is growing as a person.
dis niga tho

Arcansi

Smash Champion
Look bro this is really simple. You get frustrated because of the way things "should" or "shouldn't" be, based on logical reason. There's nothing wrong with that, but the majority of people aren't logical. (1[/B)]So logically, you can't force logic on illogical people. The only way you can influence people is by specifically understanding what action yields what result with which person. (2)Life is based on fluid circumstance, and there is no rule set that everything abides by, atleast not when subjectivity is in play, which it always is. (3)Knowing you're right doesn't convince people that you're right. You have to cater to the person you're talking to in order to convey a message. Otherwise you're forcing people to live by your own value system, which is not only morally presumptuous, but an exercise in futility, as you yourself empathize with refusing to change to better suit anyone else's needs.

1. Your attempt to overuse the word logic ended up in failure. You can force logic on illogical people, as it is possible. Your point is not lost with me, though.

2. Subjectivity is rarely in play in things that I do. People tend to apply subjectivity to things, but that is different.

3. While this is true(more or less), it doesn't work for what I'm doing. The things that I would do are simply not doable.

It's not a question of going about it correctly. It's a question of if you don't already follow the ideal in question, you're never going to be logically convinced about it. I mean, there is no correct way to be like 'Yo christian friend, explain to me how god knows all and yet still asks us to change our ways'. Or something of the sort. That question isn't perfect, but given time and someone to actually talk to, I would find something eventually.

There's no correct way to tell someone they're a horrible person for having a child. (and not aborting it).

Or many other things that I would say given the chance.

Getting over things is not something I know how to do on a fundamental level, I think. Also, changing because other people want (indirectly) me to, is most definitely compromising my morals.

so basically you're bad

I'm going to assume you mean bad at adapting.

Nah, I'm good at adapting.

I simply adapt to what is better, not what is preferred.

so yeah adapt tho
I don't need to adapt if I'm already superior.

>Posts something good.

>
whoa drunk philosphical post. sorry bros. [****]

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Just watched: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF6cmddWOgU

I feel lucky bullying wasn't an issue in my high school years. It definitely wasn't the case in my elementary and middle school years because I was more effeminate than normal as well as being Chinese.

Bullying sucks so DON'T do it!

Aside: I absolutely love that YouTube channel. Everybody should watch it!

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Well I'm not really trying to teach anything but I just wanted to make a quick comment on the matter. Amanda Todd actually went to my sister's school and my sister (and her friends) had no idea about Amanda's situation and saw Amanda as a normal girl. It's really saddening that none of her classmates even knew about the problem so they could, at the very least, comfort her.

_GrapE_

Smash Lord
I hate to go into this, but I feel like I have to. When it's all "let's for sorry for __" and it's just spread around as plainly that, then it almost glamorises suicide.
Amanda Todd made bad decisions and got what came with making bad decisions. She was obviously not taught well enough how to deal with minor issues and over-reacted. If we all feel sorry for her and popular Youtube channels with kids crying and **** tell you to feel sorry for her, then nobody is being taught a damn thing.
For the record: If you sleep with someone elses boyfriend/girlfriend then yes, you are probably gonna get beat up. And you deserve to.

14-16 year old committing suicide because of overreacting to things, and real suicide are completely different things.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I am not sure if you know anything about this case at all. I wouldn't call what this girl went through a "minor issue." I am really curious what defines a serious issue in your mind.

_GrapE_

Smash Lord
She shows her boobs to someone and then it got around. That's expected, it sucks, but too bad.
Then people making fun of her trying to kill herself and telling to try again. I can honestly name about 10-15 people off the top of my head who were told to kill themselves every day that I went to school with, and most of them didn't.
I can understand someone killing themselves if they lose their home, and everything, or their children died or something. But kids at school making fun of you, and people seeing your boobs and stuff? Like, come on.
As someone who has attempted suicide a handful of times, I find it pretty idiotic.

Top Bottom