• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

HNG

Smash Journeyman
MK and G&W.. Pretty good.

You know how to bucket brake, Yosh?

I main MK.

I submain Diddy, Luigi, Snake, Falco, ZSS, and Lucario.

Captain L

Smash Champion
I have to money match somebody for 3.50
Increments of 1.50 every tournament, so next time I'll be a whopping 5 dollars!

LFL

Smash Journeyman
I don't think reducing the doubles fee by $5 will do anything. If $5 is the reason they aren't going, they probably weren't too committed in the first place. Also I would be wary of dividing up the venue fee. Other card tournaments bring Home Video way more money. The Yugioh tournament that was there for Phoenix 3 earned Home Video over $300. I think a better option would be to hold a tournament on the Island every few months to give them a break.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Anyone wanna mm me? I don't necessarily have to go GaW ;)

If $5 is the reason they aren't going, they probably weren't too committed in the first place.
When you put it that way, it sounds like we're just trying to take people's money.

If you consider the fact that in the end, it costs us about $100 for travel (ferry, bus in Vancouver and Victoria), food, entry fee, etc., then that turns it into a completely different story.

If we don't win any money by placing top x in the tournament, we lose $100 every tournament we go to (each). The only way we can make some of it back otherwise is to place high enough at the tournament, or by winning several mm's.

If everyone puts in $5, everyone only gives up $5. However, this cuts on our travel expenses greatly. If me and Trevor are the only two who are travelling from far away (AJ said he isn't coming), and there are 20 people who put in $5, then that pays for half of our travel each.

At my tournaments that I hosted for the islanders, I would give Kyle (coming down from Campbell River) a cut of the entry fee, just because he comes down all that distance. It would pay for his gas money.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I don't think reducing the doubles fee by $5 will do anything. If $5 is the reason they aren't going, they probably weren't too committed in the first place. Also I would be wary of dividing up the venue fee. Other card tournaments bring Home Video way more money. The Yugioh tournament that was there for Phoenix 3 earned Home Video over $300. I think a better option would be to hold a tournament on the Island every few months to give them a break.
I think you may have misunderstood a couple things. The people coming from the Island would not be getting $5 each; they would be getting a split of the money gathered from the $5 collected from the fees of each attendee. So, if there are 20 entrants with 5 from the Island, there would be $100 divided between them, so $20 each, which covers close to half of their travel costs IIRC. We also would not be splitting the venue fee paid to the venue at all; they would still be getting $5 from each person, as they do now.

I do agree that going to tournaments over there would probably be a more practical solution, but it simply hasn't happened yet. I have spoken with Defender about this though, and from what he told me, they are trying to get something going over there.

In other news, January 22nd is looking like a solid date for Phoenix 5; it doesn't interfere with anything in the US, so we might be able to get some players from WA/OR. I suggested this date to AB as well, though they seemed split about whether they wanted to come again on that date or wait until the summer for the next trip. We'll have to see how it goes, I suppose.

Any objections?

SKidd

Smash Master
Sorry Asa, I don't want to lose more money, even if only $2 :p
I'm not sure how long I'll be able to stay, how long singles will take, how long doubles... etc., so, if we have time?

Mario ditto MM anyone?

HNG

Smash Journeyman
Derp. Can't make it D: .. Not going to the one either in December..if there is one.

Sorry Crisis. Maybe next time =)

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Put me (and therefore Trevor) as unconfirmed, but still likely to go. I haven't been feeling the greatest lately, but I'm feeling fine now. However, if I don't feel good, I will not be going.

What is the number of confirmed people so far? With all the drop-outs... is it worth me and Trevor going? Or should we wait until the next one?

Asa

Smash Hero
there's 18-22 people coming to this, including you guys. it's up to you

LFL

Smash Journeyman
Breez got screwed by the government and now has no money. He also can't get into his smash account lol. He is asking, since his birthday is coming up, if people would help him out in entering the tournament.

Asa

Smash Hero
I won't be going =/
Maybe next time.
c'mon man support the community

you're not travelling as far as other people

just meet us at lougheed or braid station and we'll all go together
you'll make more friends by coming!

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
*looks at attendance list*

Ewic and Tero are both not going.

I don't want to sound bad or anything... but can we get an updated list? It won't be worth me and Trevor going all that distance if only 10 people show up... (you know what I mean).

SKidd

Smash Master
Okay, Yoshi, Red Mario vs Dark Blue Yoshi.

Starwaffle, you're going, right? Who are you teaming with?

Asa

Smash Hero
i didn't include ewic and tero, but yes i agree they need to be taken off since they said they are not attending

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Breez got screwed by the government and now has no money. He also can't get into his smash account lol. He is asking, since his birthday is coming up, if people would help him out in entering the tournament.
...WTF? o.0 I guess I'm not getting paid back just yet, rofl.

Tell him I'll cover our Doubles fee, at least. I'll take care of his venue fee if he absolutely needs it as well, but I'm going to want my money back if he makes anything in either event.

Updated attendance list. Looks like around 18 or so...*sadface* at all the last minute drop-outs though.

:005:

Asa

Smash Hero
he probably won't mm

or if he gets in the money in singles/doubles he could use that

Top Bottom