• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

TheKoopaBros.

Smash Journeyman
If someone doesn't mind having me as a doubles partner, I'd maybe like to try doubles at the tournament. I don't have high expectations, but I'll try my best. :p

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I'm not coming to this for two reasons. One, there's a melee tournament on the same day (a reason other people are not showing up).

Second, I work on that Saturday anyways... so I'm not going to either one.

It's probably a good thing I'm working... I don't know which I'd go to... and this way, I don't have to decide and make the other group mad lol :p

Karupin

Smash Journeyman
single every single day
do it every single way
make them single ladies say
oh jake

speaking of which, can't wait for this upcoming oh jake

SKidd

Smash Master
Jake, we still need to play some 1v1.

Also, kind of out of place, but I just went through the Phoenix 4 Results thread, and saw a bunch of shoutouts - to me. I have no other place to reply to them other than here, so sorry, but, here goes:

"25. SKidd • For a 10 year old kid? You have a lot of potential. It was good to see you. Just don't get your hopes up of beating me anytime soon ;). In all seriousness though, you're gonna go places if you keep this up. You have a good start on Mario. Now just keep on trucking. Good games in doubles." -Kuraudo

Haha, thanks. I try to use a low tier, even though I'm told I should play high tiers a lot more. Sonic and Ike are mad gay, btw lol.

"25. SKidd - so last time we barely talked and this time we didn't at all lol? It's still cool that you're coming to our tourneys man, keep repping that Mario :p" -Bundtcake

Lol, at least we... communicate slightly more now. Tips on the GnW matchup - lolll, USE HIGH TIERS!

"25. SKidd- yur small, but funny. i never played u but ggs anyway" -MeSSi

Lol, I try. Gg.

"SKidd- lol can't believe you were actually 10 years old. I don't think we ever got to play a full match 1v1 pika/mario =\ always got interrupted. We should have practiced for dbbls a little D: you were pretty cool though =]"

Lol, yeah, surprising to a lot of people. You have a nice Pikachu, and Pokemon Trainer, it's too bad we didn't get a mario vs pika full match in. We could do waaaaayy better if we practiced in doubles. Gg. Also, you are hella tall.

Sorry for lengthy post lol
inb4namesearch

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
If it's fine with Jake, I will be hosting BC Brawl Monthly #3 in Victoria. It will happen on JANUARY 8TH. If he wants us to use this thread so the monthlies can all stay in the same thread, then I'll just wait for this monthly to be done, then we can start a new signup. All the tournament rules etc will not change, so all we will need to change is the venue etc.

If he wants me to create a new thread, then I will do so.

Kyle (Grimice) is confirmed to come (his first tournament since coming out of retirement), as well as several islanders that most of you have never played before.

So yeah, tournament in Victoria on January 8th.

Captain L

Smash Champion
There's an unacceptable lack of posting in this thread two days before the tournament.

What is the ruleset for Brawl minus gonna be?

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
If it's fine with Jake, I will be hosting BC Brawl Monthly #3 in Victoria. It will happen on JANUARY 8TH. If he wants us to use this thread so the monthlies can all stay in the same thread, then I'll just wait for this monthly to be done, then we can start a new signup. All the tournament rules etc will not change, so all we will need to change is the venue etc.

If he wants me to create a new thread, then I will do so.

Kyle (Grimice) is confirmed to come (his first tournament since coming out of retirement), as well as several islanders that most of you have never played before.

So yeah, tournament in Victoria on January 8th.
Sounds good. We can reuse this thread, I suppose; we can figure it out after this monthly.

There's an unacceptable lack of posting in this thread two days before the tournament.

What is the ruleset for Brawl minus gonna be?
I'm thinking we'd just use the same stagelist/striking format and go from there? With 4 stocks, of course. I'm not sure what it should look like TBH, but is there anything aside from that that needs to be changed?

I've been distracted by finals. That's my excuse. :x

:005:

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Double post.

How would everybody feel about reducing doubles to $5 per player instead of $10 per player? With the Brawl Minus side event, this means entering everything will still cost $25.

breez

Smash Ace
Double post.

How would everybody feel about reducing doubles to $5 per player instead of $10 per player? With the Brawl Minus side event, this means entering everything will still cost $25.

A ****load of players dont play/havent played brawl-, and I dont think the regular brawl tournament pricings should be changed to make way for brawl-.

Play brawl- for all I care, but kep the entry fee and tourny seperate.

Asa

Smash Hero
actually, it has nothing to do with brawl minus

i requested the fees be dropped to encourage the newer players (we will be getting a significant amount) to participate in all the events, and to get a feel of the competitive environment without getting all of their money taken away.

Crisis

Smash Ace
I like it at $10. It doesn't feel like any money was won when the pay out's around $30. So it's something to actually try and fight for.

Asa

Smash Hero
believe me i like it at 10 too lol

like i stated:
new players are usually afraid of doubles in the first place. having them fork out 10 dollars to get ***** (which they will) really hard will discourage them from ever doing doubles. and i like doubles. i want to have a bigger doubles group. the singles fees won't be touched at all, go **** in that

Sion

Island of Horizon
brawl monthly on the 8th? i think we're having a melee tournament on jan 8th as well LOL

man, this sucks balls

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
A ****load of players dont play/havent played brawl-, and I dont think the regular brawl tournament pricings should be changed to make way for brawl-.

Play brawl- for all I care, but kep the entry fee and tourny seperate.
As Bryan said, the doubles reduction has nothing at all to do with Brawl-; it's about encouraging newer players to enter. I just added the bit about Brawl- for the people who have tight wallets, and don't want to spend any more money than they have in the past.

brawl monthly on the 8th? i think we're having a melee tournament on jan 8th as well LOL

man, this sucks balls
Really? >.> Though the tournament on the 8th would be on Vancouver Island anyway; there's still Phoenix 5 on the 22nd. =]

bundtcake

Smash Ace
Wait are we making brawl minus cost money? o_O I was under the impression it was gonna be free so that people who have never played it before would consider joining

SKidd

Smash Master
I am recovering from the flu which I got yesterday. I should still be able to attend this.

Seeing as I'm not going to enter brawl- at all, I don't care about the fee.

TheKoopaBros.

Smash Journeyman
So about this tournament tomorrow. Is anyone else taking public transport again? I'm still not completely familiar with the route, so if anyone else is going by bus I'll tag along.

Oh, do you guys want me to bring my Wii?

Also done my exams! :D

Asa

Smash Hero
i'll be taking public transport (number is 778 990 3396)

if ppl have wiis bring them

Crisis

Smash Ace
I personally don't think the price of doubles would scare newcomers if they really want to play and plan to go to more than one event. Doubles is part of the experience and $5 shouldn't be a problem if they are willing to go far for a brawl tourney ;). I think it's more about whether they have enough fun playing
doubles. If it was fun, paying an extra $5 shouldn't scare them off.
On the other hand if they were afraid of losing their money, they probably wouldn't stay in the community for long anyways. It's rare for a newbie to win their first tourney, so there goes their doubles and singles money for the next few tourneys.

Just one newcomer's opinion :p.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Wait are we making brawl minus cost money? o_O I was under the impression it was gonna be free so that people who have never played it before would consider joining
I had the Brawl- fee set at a negotiable $5; nobody seemed bothered by that, so it hasn't changed. If the side event comes along and a bunch of people decide they don't want to pay that much to enter, we can always lower it.

So about this tournament tomorrow. Is anyone else taking public transport again? I'm still not completely familiar with the route, so if anyone else is going by bus I'll tag along.

Oh, do you guys want me to bring my Wii?

Also done my exams! :D
Yes, and yes. I will be at Coquitlam station at 9:30 once again. You could probably meet up with Asa earlier as well.

I want to have plenty of Wiis, as always. So please bring them. =]

I personally don't think the price of doubles would scare newcomers if they really want to play and plan to go to more than one event. Doubles is part of the experience and $5 shouldn't be a problem if they are willing to go far for a brawl tourney ;). I think it's more about whether they have enough fun playing
doubles. If it was fun, paying an extra $5 shouldn't scare them off.
On the other hand if they were afraid of losing their money, they probably wouldn't stay in the community for long anyways. It's rare for a newbie to win their first tourney, so there goes their doubles and singles money for the next few tourneys.

Just one newcomer's opinion :p.
I like the attitude behind this post. =] However, I don't want to scare people off from entering, even if they'd only come to a couple events anyway. On the other hand, this is kind of a last minute change, so unless I see more support, doubles will stay at $10 per person. It looks like more people would rather see a $10 entry than a $5 entry right now anyway. =s

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
So... what were the results?

Edit: OMG my work is lame. I requested Friday to Sunday off, and they gave me Friday and Sunday off. So... yeah, they just decided to make me work the one day of the three that the entire weekend was meant for...

Anyways, that aside... who came in 9th? (for GaW reasons ;) ) But in seriousness... results? :p

SKidd

Smash Master
Game and Watch is so gay

HRRRNNNNNNNNNGGHHHH

also asa is a virgin

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Three things...

First, results? :p

Second, can you edit the op to say the next monthly is in Victoria? I can give you the info on msn as to location etc.

Third, who will come to the BC monthly held in Victoria on Jan 8th? I need to know for housing reasons (as in, how many people we need to house).

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Three things...

First, results? :p

Second, can you edit the op to say the next monthly is in Victoria? I can give you the info on msn as to location etc.

Third, who will come to the BC monthly held in Victoria on Jan 8th? I need to know for housing reasons (as in, how many people we need to house).
Did you not click the link I just posted, or are you attempting to troll again? =[ *edit: I'm ********. Will fix in a second. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=293324

Done. But the extra info will have to wait until Monday; I need to spend all day tomorrow studying. Wheeeeeeee

We've been talking about it a little bit; we don't know how many yet, but it'll probably be 3-5 of us.

Asa

Smash Hero
hopefully everyone loved the cinnamon rolls :)

so happy i got 2nd
soooo happy me and andy went game 3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

the chair i broke was Q.Q'ing all tourney so it kinda killed my buz

quote of the day:

"GW IS SO GAY ALL HE DOES IS ARGHHHHHHHHHHH" *furious air masturbation of an endowed GW* - some scrub

Top Bottom