• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

UserClandestine

Smash Rookie
So, Clandestine is a new player? Are you any good? : P
Actually, one of the big reasons I'm playing in this month's tournament is to gauge my skills. Because although I do play with a small group of friends, there is no outside competition.
And I'm going into the tournament with a loss attitude (ie: I don't expect to win, but I will play in both tourneys)...

... but if it any gauge at all, my friends and I have amassed over 2750 hours of game time since the Brawl came out.

HNG

Smash Journeyman
Actually, one of the big reasons I'm playing in this month's tournament is to gauge my skills. Because although I do play with a small group of friends, there is no outside competition.
And I'm going into the tournament with a loss attitude (ie: I don't expect to win, but I will play in both tourneys)...

... but if it any gauge at all, my friends and I have amassed over 2750 hours of game time since the Brawl came out.
inb4mew2kingskill

I've had over 10 000 hours of game since brawl came out ;3

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I've already amassed over 9000 hours
of smash 64

I will need a teammate if I am to go. Whether I take this tournament seriously or not, I don't know... depends on if I am able to or not. So... teaming with me could be me being serious and us doing well-ish, or me fooling around and us playing as double Falcon :p

That said, anyone up for a double Falcon team? ;)

UserClandestine

Smash Rookie
I've already amassed over 9000 hours
of smash 64
OVER 9000!?!?

I've been playing Smash since the N64 version came out, so I have no idea how much I've played in total.

Yes I consider myself to be pretty good. But me and my pals are all pretty close in skill. So I figure, either we're not really that good and we get trounced at the tourney.
OR we're really good, and we take the show ...

But again, I'm playing to see how good I really am.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
If I'm going, I'm bringing a smash 64 set-up. You should try it out again. It's much funner when you get back into it after you play the other smash games, because you come to realize that the original is by far the best :p

MewMewKittyMew

Smash Cadet
OVER 9000!?!?

I've been playing Smash since the N64 version came out, so I have no idea how much I've played in total.

Yes I consider myself to be pretty good. But me and my pals are all pretty close in skill. So I figure, either we're not really that good and we get trounced at the tourney.

Super mew-mew kitty hugs whether win or lose~! Welcomeee! :D

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
OVER 9000!?!?

I really like this mindset. A combination of confidence and humility is probably one of the best mindsets a person can have going to their first tournament IMO; you're less likely to get discouraged if you do poorly, not only because you were able to see it coming, but also because you believe in your ability to learn from your mistakes and work towards reaching the next level. I hope your friends are approaching this event with a similar mindset. =P

Edit: BTW, out of curiosity, who do your friends use? Can I assume you're a Kirby main?

If I'm going, I'm bringing a smash 64 set-up. You should try it out again. It's much funner when you get back into it after you play the other smash games, because you come to realize that the original is by far the best :p
I can attest to this (kind of). Going back to 64 after 9 years of Melee and Brawl was awesome. =D

:005:

Asa

Smash Hero
what's your team clandestine?

btw can i call you UC?

btw it i'm coming to this :troll:

briannn you better team with mee~

UserClandestine

Smash Rookie
I really like this mindset. A combination of confidence and humility is probably one of the best mindsets a person can have going to their first tournament IMO; you're less likely to get discouraged if you do poorly, not only because you were able to see it coming, but also because you believe in your ability to learn from your mistakes and work towards reaching the next level. I hope your friends are approaching this event with a similar mindset. =P

Edit: BTW, out of curiosity, who do your friends use? Can I assume you're a Kirby main?

Yes, Kirby is my main, though I regularly switch between Falco, Falcon, Peach, Mario, Pikachu, and whenever I feel like a good laugh, Ganondorf (my group regularly has Ganon only matches).

The other guys in my group use pretty much the entire roster except for the Ice Climbers, King Dedede, Luigi, and Wario (I think).

I can attest to this (kind of). Going back to 64 after 9 years of Melee and Brawl was awesome. =D

what's your team clandestine?

btw can i call you UC?

btw it i'm coming to this :troll:

briannn you better team with mee~

Yeah, you can call me UC, or User, whatever floats your boat. :p
Though, I'm not sure what you mean by "What's your team?" If you mean who else will be on my team, it's another person from my group (obviously). If you mean, who I'll be playing as in the Doubles tourney, I think it'll be a Kirby-Zelda duo.

Quick questions for the forum ...
1. In the tourney rules, it says that the first level is chosen with a 1-2-2-1 stage strike. Can someone elaborate on this?
2. What are the scenarios under which, I might have to change characters (for Singles and Doubles)? Or can I play as Kirby for the entire tourney if I want?

Asa

Smash Hero
yo user, get on msn!

striking is 2-3-1

it's not like SF or tekken lol you can change characters whenever you want

hmmm i like user sounds better :3

kirby-zelda sounds hella legit

Asa

Smash Hero
also you should get used to BC's friendly matches, which are marth triples

Deap

Smash Ace
NNID
Deap92x

Tell ur amigos that i will mm them

So bring a lot of money ;)

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Lol every new guy has that half cocky half "I suck" attitude on the boards, but deep down they think they can do well :p.

Deap

Smash Ace
NNID
Deap92x
Lol every new guy has that half cocky half "I suck" attitude on the boards, but deep down they think they can do well :p.
yeah

i 3 stock one guy(diddy player)

i was surprised because he was really good.

probably he wasn't very confident.

UserClandestine

Smash Rookie
I do have that attitude, and I do think I can do well ... but that's whole point of playing in this tourney, to see if I am any good.

And Deap, we're not going to bring any extra money. We're coming to have some fun, not to make/lose money.

Looking forward to the tourney though. I'm getting excited. :D

I still haven't heard how the stage striking works (I know it's 1-2-2-1, or 2-3-1, but I've no idea what that means).

And does anyone have a link to some of the last tourney's final matches?

Alphicans

Smash Hero
1-2-2-1 means that the first person strikes 1 stage, then the second person strikes 2 stages, then the first person strikes 2 stages, then the second person strikes one last stage, and the stage remaining is where the first game is played.

From there I am sure you can figure out what 2-3-1 means.

Also keep in mind that sometimes the 1 and the 2 are referencing the player not the number of stages to strike. In the new Unity ruleset they have a 5 starter list, and the striking is described as 1-2-2-1, meaning that the first person strikes one stage, then the second person strikes 2 stages (hence the 2-2) and then the first person strikes one last stage.

HNG

Smash Journeyman
Psh Deap. I two stocked your MK and 0 to deathed your Olimar then you quit and johned after i took your first stock. Also beat your Wario. ):< ..

You quit our MM's so easily, they weren't even fun D;

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I do have that attitude, and I do think I can do well ... but that's whole point of playing in this tourney, to see if I am any good.

And Deap, we're not going to bring any extra money. We're coming to have some fun, not to make/lose money.

Looking forward to the tourney though. I'm getting excited. :D

I still haven't heard how the stage striking works (I know it's 1-2-2-1, or 2-3-1, but I've no idea what that means).

And does anyone have a link to some of the last tourney's final matches?
Don't worry about Deap. He tries to hustle everybody out of their money. :x

Here are the singles bracket matches from the last monthly that got uploaded...

[collapse="Singles Matches"]Winner's Semi Finals
Firefly (Yoshi) vs. Breez (MK)
Games 1-3 (full set)

Winners Finals
Breez (MK) vs. Captain L (Pikachu)
Games 1, 3, and 5 (I think) (5 matches were played, but only 3 were saved)

Losers Finals
Firefly (Yoshi/MK) vs. Captain L (Pikachu)
Game 1
Game 2
Game 3
Game 4

Grand Finals
Firefly (Yoshi) vs. Breez (MK)
Game 1 wasn't saved. Game 2 was saved, but it hasn't been uploaded yet because it was glitching out. I lost both matches.
Game 3
Game 4[/collapse]

Thanks Luke for actually explaining how stage striking works. I guess BC is really bad at explaining things. :awesome:

Edit: If you're not already on the attendence list, please confirm!

SKidd

Smash Master
Way of the Mario:

Fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball

Also, Oh Jake.

Karupin

Smash Journeyman
Way of the Mario:

Fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball-fireball

Also, Oh Jake.
very similar to the metaknight playstyle
nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado-nado off the top kill

HNG

Smash Journeyman
swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow

Kirby playstyle.

Karupin

Smash Journeyman
swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow-swallow

Kirby playstyle.
nope its

u tilt -> bair (if u tilt lands)
rinse and repeat

bundtcake

Smash Ace
warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-warlock punch-

ganondorf playing style.

...wait

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
SHOW ME YOUR-SHOW ME YOUR-SHOW ME YOUR-SHOW ME YOUR-SHOW ME-SHOW ME-SHOW ME-SHOW ME-SHOW ME-SHOW ME-SHOW ME-SHOW-SHOW-SHOW-SHOW-SHOW-SHOW-SHOW-SHOW ME YOUR MOVES!!!

They way of the Falcon.

Edit: OMG YES!!!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=301032

Specifically:

"There is a Ledge Grab Limit of 35 for Meta Knight and 50 for all other characters. If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you."

So what's happening in the next tournament?

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
That ruleset is directed at US tournaments, so it doesn't apply to us. :troll:

Really though, I'm not convinced lowering the LGL for MK only is necessary, and we already have a LGL of 50 in our ruleset. I was thinking of suggesting removing the LGL and using a 10 minute timer to discourage time-out attempts after you vs Alphicans back in January, but we kinda forgot about it. :x

As for the second rule you highlighted, the invisibility is covered by the IDC ban, and we have standing infinites banned as it is. The only part of the rule that would contribute anything is the third part, but I'm not sure how I feel about that one ATM. Would it really contribute something to the ruleset, or will it open up an opportunity for people to find loopholes against beatable tactics? I don't think that would be an issue here, but you never know, and this rule wouldn't be fixing anything that has happened here.

As for the stagelist, it's the same as what we have now, except they've gone to a 5-starter list, which I honestly see as a step backwards at this point. The 7-starter list seems to result in fair stages both for matchups with characters that prefer FD/SV/BF and matchups that don't, and I see no reason to go back to the 5-starter list.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I will gladly agree to a 10 minute timer. But I still think that some form of ledge grab rule should be in effect (obviously will go up with the increase timer... assuming that happens).

As for the second rule, it was mainly the "reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you" rule, which I was using to refer to being on the ledge.

Basically... anything which prevents timeouts or lame things happening.

Kantrip

Kantplay
I definately had a half "I suck" half "I suck" attitude last tourney. Then, after some friendlies and (fairly) close-ish (kind of) tourney matches, I realized that I wasn't a complete noob. I definately wasn't banking on my matches with friends to help me out because sometimes I still get "how do you do that sidestep dodge?" and "STOP SPAMMING BANANANANANAS :mad:!" when I play them. I just have to get used to opponents who read me and dodge my attacks and stuff :p

SKidd

Smash Master
That attendance keeps going up and up!

Hey, Basil, care to introduce yourself a little? ;)

Basil

Smash Apprentice
That attendance keeps going up and up!

Hey, Basil, care to introduce yourself a little? ;)
Hi, I'm Seth Wright, aka Basil. Gamer tag comes from my love of the Shaman King manga series, as well as the herb, which is my favorite :)

My main is ZSS. I've been lurking for a while, and decided to make myself a member and post. I hope to have fun at my first tournament!

Top Bottom