• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

T-block

B2B TST
he's not responsible for how you interpret his statement. his statement was 100% truth.

you attached your own assumptions to it, and arrived at an illogical conclusion. you have no one to blame but yourself.

^_^

Arcansi

Smash Champion
he's not responsible for how you interpret his statement. his statement was 100% truth.

you attached your own assumptions to it, and arrived at an illogical conclusion. you have no one to blame but yourself.

^_^
I could go into the nature of implication and what it means for conversation but I won't.

Because you all know what I mean to say, and take it as you will it's there.

:fluttershy:

Frio

Smash Champion
Why is BC always arguing about human nature and deep philosophy stuff. Alberta just shouts Alberta Beef and troll each other.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
On that note:

Who can account for freewill better: physicalists or dualists? ***** of a question that will be on my phil final :(

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Not to throw Arcansi under the bus, but he is basically the reason BC always ends up talking about human nature and related things... and have arguments 9 times a day (over-exaggeration, but you know what I mean). We used to talk about if a character had reached its final form, and the only argument we ever had was someone telling Deap they wouldn't go above $2 for a money match.

Cathy

Smash Cadet
On that note:

Who can account for freewill better: physicalists or dualists? ***** of a question that will be on my phil final :(
I don't think dualism can account for anything since it's bogus. There is a pretty standard and compelling argument (which you are aware of I assume) that dualism can't account for "free will", no matter what is meant by that, because that would require some way for the mind to send instructions to the body, which would would require physical events (in the brain presumably) to be caused by something non-physical, which essentially means there's no cause in the physical world, so there's a cause without an effect. Alternatively, it could mean that the non-physical thing is really just physical.

The first place I saw this argument was in Dennett's Consciousness Explained, which he likens Dualism to Casper the Friendly Ghost being able to glide through walls and also catch falling objects. The argument precedes Dennett by a lot though. Dennett also has a book called "Freedom Evolves" which is about free will. The standard approach is to define free will as a condition where your choices are primarily affected by factors internal to the agent rather than external, which does not have any problems with physics.

I had a similar question on my intro phil final and I gave a more detailed version of the above basically.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
The thing about dualism is that it's not necessarily an alternative explanation for how humans are thought to be in the world, but as something to account for personal identity. Physicalism has a tough time accounting for personal identity, and the explanations they do have are iffy at best.

I am well aware of the non-physical physical interactions being speculative, but the purpose of this question, I think, is to by pass that, and see what both ideologies can make of the question. The best explanation that physicalism offers (that accounts for personal identity) is 4-D physicalism, which definitely does not allow for free will. However, on the other hand I am not sure how dualism could account for free will at all.

Cathy

Smash Cadet
The thing about dualism is that it's not necessarily an alternative explanation for how humans are thought to be in the world, but as something to account for personal identity. Physicalism has a tough time accounting for personal identity, and the explanations they do have are iffy at best.

I am well aware of the non-physical physical interactions being speculative, but the purpose of this question, I think, is to by pass that, and see what both ideologies can make of the question. The best explanation that physicalism offers (that accounts for personal identity) is 4-D physicalism, which definitely does not allow for free will. However, on the other hand I am not sure how dualism could account for free will at all.
I guess the thing about "free will" discussions is that it's largely about how you define free will. I've never really understood how there's any substance to the self as 4D thing. It seems purely linguistic, but it still seems consistent with free will if you think of free will as the condition of things you do being caused primarily by things internal to you rather than external. As in, define "free will" such that an action is done out of free will if the cause is primarily some brain activity internal to the agent. Obviously that definition makes the whole thing trivial, but so does some definition like "there are several possible things you could do", because that just makes it trivially false rather than trivially true. I feel like I miss something in the free will debates because it all seems very trivial and linguistic, rather than substantiative.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
It's not that talking about deep things is considered bad. The thing is that if you are the only one who wants to talk about a certain subject, and nobody else wants to, then maybe this is not the place for such a subject. You have to adapt to your audience or peers, not the audience adapt to you.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
My entire point is you have to adapt to your audience, not the audience adapt to you. This goes for topics of discussion, what you say, how something gets interpreted, etc.

If your audience was, say, the general smash community or something, then saying "that move is gay", the implied meaning is understood as one thing. However, if you were in a videogame store and were playing brawl with a friend and said "that move is gay", given the potential audience listening to what you say, it may not go over so well.

The same goes for the way something is interpreted. Some communities might have an expression or meme or joke or something specific to that community. For example, if I were to show a picture of GaW's Final Smash (octopus) and say "This isn't even my final form", a smasher in New York would think I'm saying there is a more powerful version of GaW. However, everyone here would interpret that completely differently.

So essentially, take into account your audience when you say something. Sometimes, all you need is to change the wording a bit, and a positive encouraging message comes out, instead of a possibly very insulting message.

I'm just trying to help. I know you enough to know that that post you made to me wasn't meant to be negative, but still, it was, as you saw from the three immediate next posts, very negative.

Asa

Smash Hero
blue yoshi being ambiguous and misleading in his posts doesn't make him cool; rather, it's often annoying for anyone who actually pays attention to it rofl. but once you dont take anything robert says seriously, he's pretty cool

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
My serious mode: Jigglypuff only.

Edit: Adapt to the community, but that doesn't mean you can't be yourself. For example, the jokes I make with the BC people are different from the jokes I make with the Victoria smash people, which are different from the jokes I make with my hockey team, etc.etc. Some jokes I said there won't go as well here. That is what I meant (for clarification reasons).

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I think I can probably make it at 1pm-ish tomorrow. Looking for more people! :(

If there's only three people, I might actually invest some time learning/practising chain grabs. One day, I will get the Nana back throw -> Popo buffered regrab -> Popo forward throw chain grab! :(

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
I can only do Bthrow CG on a few certain people

Been working on my hobbling :reverse:

oh and obligatory Wolf reference

:wolf:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Oh and... wow I totally forgot my Mom's room used a (old but good quality) Sony CRT TV. So when I buy a new TV (on Boxing Day), I'll switch the CRT TV for my Wii and I can start having Smashfests at my place yay!

Zelda is pleased! :zelda:

Ahh.. so anybody else coming to the venue tomorrow besides Eric and Brandon? What time are we gonna meet!?

SKidd

Smash Master
Arcansi - "Being intentionally misleading is rude"

It's also rude to call the losing team bad instead of cheering them up and encouraging them.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
They didn't have Asahi in stock so we had to settle for Molson :(

So who's coming tomorrow and what time?

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
but Sushi is the best

also Chinese food sucks I hate it

i'll probably show up around 2pm more or less, depends when everyone else is going pretty much

Frio

Smash Champion
The flux capacitor was the core component of Doctor Emmett Brown's time traveling DeLorean time machine. It is not made clear exactly how the flux capacitor worked. It consisted of a box with three small, flashing incandescent lamps arranged as a "Y", located above and behind the passenger's seat of the time machine. As the car neared 88 miles per hour, the light of the flux capacitor pulsed faster until it had a steady stream of light, which one is not supposed to look at as indicated by the Dymo warning label placed across the glass panel. The stainless steel body of the DeLorean also had a beneficial effect on the "flux dispersal" as the capacitor activated, although Doc was interrupted before he could finish explaining it fully. Accessing the flux capacitor safely required disconnection of the capacitor drive, as the Dymo warning label at the top of the unit pointed out.

On November 5, 1955, Emmett Brown came up with the idea of the flux capacitor after slipping and bumping his head while standing on his toilet to hang a clock. The idea came to him in a vision he had after being knocked out. He drew an inverted y-shape with wires and stated "flux compression". He also performed some mild calculations on the paper.

In order to travel through time, the vehicle integrated with the flux capacitor needed to be traveling at 88 mph (140.8 km/h ), and required 1.21 gigawatts of power (1,210,000,000 watts ), originally supplied by a plutonium-powered nuclear reactor. However, for the time machine's return trip (from 1955 back to 1985), plutonium was not available, so a lightning rod was connected directly into the flux capacitor and was used while the vehicle sustained 88 mph. Plutonium was used once again for a trip forward in time at least 30 years, and at some point thereafter the plutonium reactor was replaced by a "Mr. Fusion" home energy generator from the future that was fueled by extracting hydrogen atoms from garbage.

The DeLorean once again came back to 1985 and proceeded to travel to 2015, where it was stolen and taken back to 1955 and returned back to 2015 without the Doc's knowledge. When they returned in 1985, they found it was a different present, so they traveled back to 1955 to fix the time-space continuum. The DeLorean was again struck by lightning in the year 1955, this time by accident. The lightning created an overload and caused a malfunction in the time circuits. Earlier, the 1885 date was already displayed before the lightning hit, after the LED read-outs flashed.

It was then hidden in the Delgado mine for 70 years because suitable replacement parts were not invented until 1947. [2]. It was recovered from the mine in 1955 and repaired by Doc Brown's 1955 counterpart, thus restoring it to working order. Since both gasoline and garbage were available, the next trip back to 1885 was performed under the car's own power.

Due to a broken fuel line, the De Lorean's final trip from 1885 to 1985 was partially powered by a steam locomotive pushing the vehicle up to 88 mph while using Mr. Fusion to generate the 1.21 gigawatts required to activate the flux capacitor and break the time barrier. Doc returns to 1985 in a time machine made from a locomotive. This used a flux capacitor that Doc was able to power using steam (at least with the propulsion requirement for time travel), located on the front of the train, in place of the lamp.

Damn kids these days don't even know what a Flux capacitor is.

Top Bottom