• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Watching that video again, it definitely doesn't seem like he'd do well today. To be honest, I'm not sure whether it was just because of how he was playing in that one match, but there were all sorts of holes in his game...

:005:

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
Does clouderz at least answer his phone now, since that match?

yo, don't see squeaker posting anymore since that one post then that one time. It was like, yesterday. Kelowna is loving all over project m right now, just in case he's interested. The guys there seem to play it multiple times a week. Never really play brawl, but in case he's interested in Project M and Melee, we're totally accepting new people that show interest.

| Big D |

Smash Master
Violence mentioned something about running PM at brawl tournaments.

But I can guarantee it won't happen at Phoenix.

catchy theme dat sakura

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
The best way to describe Clouderz, and me and Brian (at the time) both were in complete agreement to this, was that Clouderz was really good. However, he was really predictable. Several times, you knew exactly what he was going to do. However, he was good enough that even though you knew he was going to do something, you wouldn't be able to punish him well if he missed. In Clouderz's games vs Brian (back when it was them in WF and GF every time), Brian, me, and I'm assuming several spectators knew exactly what Clouderz was going to do. At times, I even (in my head, not to distract people) called the moves he was going to do. Even then, neither Brian playing, or anyone watching, could see obvious ways of countering him. And something I find funny, since Tri-smash, the only time I played him in tourney was that set that Dawson uploaded game 3 of, so I never faced him.

From what I noticed, and from what he said at the time, he was not the biggest fan of brawl. He played melee friendlies with people quite often (him and me played several times, doing nothing but trash talking and trolling each other non-stop, having fun in the process). He enjoyed brawl for two (similar, but different) reasons. First, he was placing very well, thereby making money, having the title of best in BC, and possibly west Canada, etc. He was basically famous for being good at the game, even though he wasn't the biggest fan of it. Second, I noticed since near 2008 that Clouderz liked to win, and hated to lose. If he was winning in something, he was enjoying it. If he was losing in something, he wasn't enjoying it. Transfering this over to brawl, he was winning everything. Everything was going great for him. Fame, money, women (half serious here... :p). He was untouchable at the top of the totem pole, winning all the time. All of a sudden, he loses. Twice. To two free people in BC (relatively speaking). One being a mid-PR low tier Yoshi player (Jake), and one being a barely PR-ranked GaW player (terrible matchup for GaW). All of a sudden, he was not untouchable, and his title of best in BC was no longer guaranteed. And if two free people could beat him, what does that say about everyone else? If he starts losing to people, he will no longer have the title of top in BC. He won't be winning as much money as he has been. Not to mention, as I mentioned earlier, he enjoys winning, and hates losing. And seeing as his days of always winning seemed to be coming to an end, the days of him potentially losing were on the way, which would make the game less interesting. So what I assumed he did, was leave the game while still considered the best in BC (even after Phoenix 4, everyone considered him the best), and not have to risk going through losing to people.

It's just the way some people think about games. I've had several friends think this way. When they are winning, or when they are doing well, they enjoy the game. When they are losing, or when they are getting dominated, they do not enjoy the game. I've made a few top 64 players in Victoria (after me) quit the game because all of a sudden, I 5-stocked them in Winner's Finals, using their own character against them. Trevor (Karupin) I think went under the same thing with brawl. A combination of mainland tournaments were too expensive, and I was starting to beat him consistently using random characters against his mains. Also, he was starting to really enjoy Starcraft 2. So I've seen this mindset used several times, and I'm pretty sure that Clouderz had the same mindset, and wanted to leave before things got bad.

I'm dead tired, I'm not entirely sure what I typed anymore, I'll press post, and leave it at that (hopefully this post is fine, I never post without double/triple checking the post, but I'm too tired, I work at 7am tomorrow, and by the time I get back, the topic will be old, and I wanted to add this to the discussion, as it is my best guess as to why I think he quit the game, and I think it's at the very least somewhat accurate). Hopefully this post is good enough... if not, then... well, I'll do something. Anyways, I'm tired, I have to start driving to work in 4 hours, and I'm, well, tired lol.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I ordered my controller before I posted those screenshots. (They were from my order) Tracking says it's due to arrive soon. Is this impressive or what?

Nov 3, 2012 7:02 AM
At destination sort facility
VANCOUVER, BC
Nov 3, 2012 3:20 AM
In transit
MEMPHIS, TN
Nov 3, 2012 2:35 AM
Departed FedEx location
MEMPHIS, TN
Nov 2, 2012 11:36 PM
Arrived at FedEx location
MEMPHIS, TN
Nov 2, 2012 10:26 PM
In transit
CHEK LAP KOK HK
Nov 2, 2012 8:05 PM
Left FedEx origin facility
YUEN LONG HK
Nov 2, 2012 6:00 AM
Shipment information sent to FedEx
Nov 2, 2012 6:36 PM
Picked up
YUEN LONG HK
Nov 2, 2012 3:15 AM
Clearance delay - Import
RICHMOND, BC

I'm probably one of the newest Brawl players :p

_GrapE_

Smash Lord
Yes, I have somniphobia. Sleeping scares the **** out of me if I'm alone (which I always am) so my body never lets me sleep or get sleepy. Just sore and exhausted. Sometimes I lay in bed wide awake from midnight until like, 8am. It's boring and it sucks.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Aw that sucks :(

Have you tried taking supplements to help induce sleep, like Melatonin? It can help you develop a proper sleep cycle, but you need to be careful about becoming reliant on Melatonin.

Yakal

Torquasm-Rao
clouderz is like one of my main homies y'all don't KNOW about clouderz' antiswag

<3

Everything was going great for him. Fame, money, women (half serious here... :p).

and grape my friend has that too

she literally makes me go over to her house and keep her company while she sleeps

"sleeps" ;)

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Nothing wrong with losing! I do it all the time and it can be motivating... I admit it feels bad to lose or fail at something you work hard at but try to stay positive! Builds character too.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
[Paragraph x3].
I can't understand what purpose this post serves. You're just saying what I did but in a paragraph where I have a sentence.

Also, he never should've been considered the best, from what I'm seeing. He was just using the best tier at a time where that made you win. There's a fundamental difference between doing that and being bad (being predictable but still winning) and being good (not).

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
I've rearranged my living room for an optimal gaming experience =D

got veggies, chips, halloween candy, apple juice and pop.

****s gonna be fun.

also REMEMBER TO ALWAYS LOCK MY FRONT DOOR. ALWAYS. My door doesn't close w.o it being locked and my dog WILL run away and never come back.

Captain L

Smash Champion
I can't understand what purpose this post serves. You're just saying what I did but in a paragraph where I have a sentence.

Also, he never should've been considered the best, from what I'm seeing. He was just using the best tier at a time where that made you win. There's a fundamental difference between doing that and being bad (being predictable but still winning) and being good (not).
umm the difference is that rob was actually there and your post was just blind speculation based on a couple things you heard.

SKidd and I will be at the theatre shortly after 2:30!

Arcansi

Smash Champion
umm the difference is that rob was actually there and your post was just blind speculation based on a couple things you heard.
You seem to think P > Q when Q isn't both anecdotal and logical, and P is.

This simply isn't true.

Also, it's not just a couple things I've heard. Don't assume you know all that I hear.

_GrapE_

Smash Lord
Clouderz was good, but not that good, just better than the rest of us, and would abuse things we didn't know how to deal with, which was smart.
I recall we all beat him in Melee though. All being Skidd, Rob, Me, and every actual melee player.

I also wanna note, that I think everyone left out; the video of Rob beating Clouderz was not an accurate representation of Clouderz's skill level, and (I think Rob and Jake would agree) Clouderz was really off that day and was not playing like himself.

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace

He won the tournaments he went to, that's why he was considered the best. Anyone else has the option to go Metaknight, and challenge his Metaknight, and some (me, breez, who else was mk back then?) DID!

Clouderz was tight. He might've been rude, but he was fun. Saying anyone plays just for the money is a downright lie, because smash is a terrible thing to do for monetary gain alone. He'd get a job if all he wanted was money. He also made James hella rage because he won the only big okanagan tournament, which was pretty funny.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
He won the tournaments he went to, that's why he was considered the best. Anyone else has the option to go Metaknight, and challenge his Metaknight, and some (me, breez, who else was mk back then?) DID!

Clouderz was tight. He might've been rude, but he was fun. Saying anyone plays just for the money is a downright lie, because smash is a terrible thing to do for monetary gain alone. He'd get a job if all he wanted was money. He also made James hella rage because he won the only big okanagan tournament, which was pretty funny.

What you're saying is more or less true.

I should have said skilled as opposed to good, I guess.

Also, if your second paragraph is true, why would he randomly leave as soon as he loses twice, espicially if he has an off day? Because it stops being fun forever once you have one off day?

Clouderz was good, but not that good, just better than the rest of us, and would abuse things we didn't know how to deal with, which was smart.
I recall we all beat him in Melee though. All being Skidd, Rob, Me, and every actual melee player.

I also wanna note, that I think everyone left out; the video of Rob beating Clouderz was not an accurate representation of Clouderz's skill level, and (I think Rob and Jake would agree) Clouderz was really off that day and was not playing like himself.
The second paragraph is the only thing that doesn't fit my current theory. While I believe you, it mostly doesn't make sense, unless he didn't feel he had an off day.

_GrapE_

Smash Lord
Something seemed wrong. He wasn't acting normal and being all energetic and talking trash like he normally did. He kind of just kept to himself and acted like he didn't care.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
Before. The whole day he was acting like that.
Sounds super normal. He probably knew he wasn't going to be coming back when the day started, too.

Now you know what happens when you show off or trash talk too much.
No, what? You just know that there are people out there who play only to win, even when they don't have the skill.

Also, you know what happens when someone has something really bad happen to them.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I did indicate in my post (I guess indirectly, but still) that Clouderz was not playing properly in the uploaded game. His game got thrown off after losing to Jake, and then game 2 of our set (as well as not being on his game that day).

The Iron Wolf

Smash Journeyman
1) No, I don't play League. Never have, probably never will. 'Iron Wolf' is the tag I use for this site but it's primarily 'H.' or 'Dusk'.

2) Let me tell y'all a little something about Clouderz from a Wi-Fi perspective. By 08 standards he was legit. I'd go as far as saying that he was among the first legitimate MK's the Brawl community had ever seen back when WiFi was treated as a legitimate avenue for competitive gaming and the AiB ladder had made it's debut a few months after the release of the game. For about 9 months I recall him being a dominant force and his name would strike fear into the hearts of 95% of Brawlers. The kid was up there with Ally, Holy, Anther, Dabuz, ANTi, dannykat etc in the rankings, trading wins with them all and so forth iirc which was perceived as something VERY prestigious. He was a top level player for a while. But his 15 minutes of fame seemingly came and went. He became irrelevant within the span of 9-10 months if memory serves correct.

I remember there being a video interview of him posted online which gained notoriety after he was seen bragging and basically smacktalking. He was known for being a HUGE **** talker online but that video made his stock, as far as reputation is concerned, plummet considerably. He was still viewed as a legitimate threat by us Wi-Fi guys but we all hated him simply because he was a prick. Interestingly enough, when people saw that I was from BC on the AiB chat or Xat - when people would ask to know what region I was in to make sure we wouldn't lag - guys online would be surprised and be all like 'You mean where Clouderz is from?!!"

So yes, in the earliest days of competitive Brawl, Clouderz was a legitimate player. He wasn't good because he used MK. There was a surge of MK's but Clouderz was among the first legitimate MK's the community had seen save for M2K though he's a different story of course. Myself and some WiFi pals had the opportunity to play him in his prime and get manhandled by his MK but we usually knew that we were outplayed. The kid's fame fizzled out eventually. I can't really recall how and why but he had gained quite a lot of notoriety and became the butt of most jokes on WiFi. Maybe it was his lack of success in the offline community that contributed to it but I can't truly ascertain an exact reason.

This is the story of Clouderz from the angle of those who knew and remember him online. He once told me to attend offline Smash events when I told him I was from BC and said something about them being held at UBC and I was like 'lol yeah but that's too far'. He definitely won't remember me as I was just another guy to play on WiFi but obviously, a character like his is one the WiFi Brawl community that's been around remembers - in an unfavourable light.

The end : )

EDIT: Judging by Big D's video upload of BY vs Clouderz I'd say with certainty that Clouderz would get mauled today by your standard player. How old is this game? If it's before 2010 then it's w/e but he'd definitely have a lot of catching up to do with today's metagame in the unlikely event that he came back.

Top Bottom