• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jump Cancel Fox Shine?

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Is there any way to implement Char. Specific Friction without signifigantly cutting the lengths of DACUS slides though? :/

Oh, and FSLink, the game does appear to notice the lighter button presses, but it just doesnt do anything with them (or at least thats what PK said I think).
Speeding up a dash attack's opening frames will cause a character's DACUS to become bigger.

keRnjiro said:
Meh, wavelanding is my favorite mindgame, and wavedashing still doesnt seem much faster or more useful than melee, and it was really mostly just a gimmick in melee.
Either you played a char who had a horrible WD or you just plain weren't that good, because WDing was hardly a "gimmick" in melee. It was an incredibly useful tool for spacing and mindgames.

I hated that about all my friends who wanted to get good at melee, they assumed that wavedashing was so super-cool and that's why I was good at melee, when really the only thing it was good for was trying to move backward out of hit range while still facing them, or getting on the ledge.

Really, I think rolling backwards is more effective for getting out of the way of an attack... and now that you can grab on the ledge backwards, wavedashing isn't going to flip brawl upside-down.
If you're simply talking about evading an attack by not being there when it hits... WDing is pretty much superior to a roll (and for characters with long initial dashes, a dash is actually superior to a wavedash, although it's harder to use)

WDing = about 6 frames of startup (varies from char to char) and 10 frames of lag (note: you're still moving during this "lag," so with proper use of the WD, this lag didn't really matter much).

Rolling = about 4 frames of startup and 20-30 frames before you can act again (although you're invincible until about 10 frames before the end of the roll... during which time you're not moving anymore, making you very vulnerable).

People use wavedashing as an evasion tool because it's fairly fast and you can easily and quickly punish a whiffed attack from one. Rolling... not so much.

I don't understand why wavedashing would ruin brawl? "OMG ANOTHER DIMENSION OF GAMEPLAY?! They already added dash cancelling!"

Kinda seems like all the brawl fanboys and fangirls just wanted their game to be good so bad that they convinced themselves that melee was evil or something, now that all these melee techniques are coming back, they think its blasphemous, while still saying "oh wow this is faster and more fun"

just accept it, melee was the ****, and brawl shoulda taken that and ADDED more stuff on top of it instead of taking away everything that made it a competitive game.

BRAWL+ + WD = the way the game shoulda been released in the first place.
I love melee, but I don't want to see the melee airdodge implemented into brawl+. It just doesn't act the same in brawl+; it doesn't work right. You only have your regular soft landing animation from the airdodge (aka about 2 frames before you can act), and the WD travels very far with every character. The platforms in this game don't work the same, and if you try to WD across a platform to fall off, you'll notice you get "stuck" on the edge, and the only way to get off is to actually physically walk or run off. The different airdodge system completely throws the game's balance off as well, greatly limiting your aerial options. I'm sorry, but this just plain isn't going to be in an official build of brawl+. Ever.

V-K

Smash Ace
The problem is Brawl has 2 different landing animations. One after SH which has almos no lag and one after big jump that is similar to the landing animation in Melee.

So WD in Brawl+ wouldn´t be so bad if it had that long landing animation of a big jump instead of that short one.

keRnjiro

Smash Journeyman
Either you played a char who had a horrible WD or you just plain weren't that good, because WDing was hardly a "gimmick" in melee. It was an incredibly useful tool for spacing and mindgames.

if you're familiar with melee vids u should have noticed that a lot of the best players like ken and isai hardly ever wave dash. dash dancing is just more practical. i wavedashed a lot with chars like mario or doc or dk to do bairs with some momentum, but i never saw wavedashing as some broken technique that gave me the edge over other players.

And I'm a total brawl noob, wtf is a DACUS, is that the slidey up-smash thing that i see ppl do with snake?

edit: oh and wavedashing was crucial for space animals but only bc u could do it from the shine.

and to get back on topic, is it even possible with current knowledge to be able to add jumping out of the shine?

Top Bottom