• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jump/Roll/Sidestep/USmash/UpB Cancel PSI Magnet and Shine

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
This is a technique for Ness, Lucas, Fox, and Wolf.
During the absorption/hit animation of these fours' downB you can do anything you can do out of a shield. You don't even have to press the shield button, you just hit the direction or jump button. You can input as soon as the enemy's attack connects up until the hit animation is finished, so it's a pretty big window.

Of course, you have to have tap jump on to Usmash or Up+B. Fox and Wolf cannot C-stick to Usmash and have to use Up+A (thanks Simna).
This doesn't work in the air.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8uw5-b7e0s

Did some PSI Magnets in the middle to show what happens when you don't cancel. I also show what happens if you input without getting hit: nothing. Ignore the grabs.
I'll try to get a better quality one up soon.

super_bacon807

Smash Apprentice
Does this "absorption" refer to when the PSI Magnet or shine is hit by a projectile?

3GOD

Smash Ace
Sad that this thread is getting so little attention...have you tried it with Pit's Mirror Shield or Zelda's Nayru's Love (or Mario's Cape or any other reflecting specials)?

Anyway, excellent find! Can't wait to see it's applications.

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't work with Zelda and it doesnt work with Falco. Works with Ness,Lucas and Fox but Fox can only jump out of it. Ness and Lucas can upsmash,dodge,roll, and jump.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
Doesn't work with Zelda and it doesnt work with Falco. Works with Ness,Lucas and Fox but Fox can only jump out of it. Ness and Lucas can upsmash,dodge,roll, and jump.
No, Fox can roll, dodge, up-smash, and up-B out of it. His timing is a bit quicker than the others.

Superstar

Smash Champion
I play Fox, and this looks pretty useful, good for approaching someone projectile happy without having to wait for the shine to wear off.

But you say during the hit animation you can do it, so that means when you hit with the shine you can jump cancel it? Last I tried I couldn't do that, but I didn't try it too much anyways [if I did test it].

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
I play Fox, and this looks pretty useful, good for approaching someone projectile happy without having to wait for the shine to wear off.

But you say during the hit animation you can do it, so that means when you hit with the shine you can jump cancel it? Last I tried I couldn't do that, but I didn't try it too much anyways [if I did test it].
The being hit animation is what I meant. The part where the shine flashes.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
This looks very useful. True, it only works if you get hit, but you most likely won't put it up unless you are going to get hit.

I'll have to test this out to see if I can pull it off. The one thing I hate about these sort of things is that they're almost impossible to practice solo because you have to fire the projectile and then pull off the move.

One last thing. Even though I can test this out, I'll put this out here just in case anyone knows the answer already; do the ending effects of Ness & Lucas's PSI Magnet (the wind effect and the damage, respectively) still happen when you do this? It would be nice if they did, but it would also answer the question, does it skip frames or just go much quicker. I'd guess the former, but it'd be nice to know for sure.

Anywho, thanks for this information!

EDIT: Wow, this technique is surprisingly useable. Granted, I tested it versus a level 9 Lucario, and did a lot of backing off to give him more of an opportunity to use Aura Sphere, and we all know CPUs can be rather idiotic, despite their level. Still, it's a great way to rid of lag and start a move right away all in one. I also tested to see if the after-effects of PSI Magnet still work with this technique, and I found that they don't, meaning it skips the end frames. Not that it particularly matters, since the chances that someone will be close to you when someone else (or the same person) is shooting a long range attack at you are slim, but it was something interesting I thought I'd look into, and share just in case anyone cares.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
I couldn't really see what was happening in the video (you could barely see the laser), however if what you say is true, then that's excellent. A projectile counterattack with no lag. It's what the shine should've always been. Too bad you can't dash out of it. I guess I'll have to start reflecting stuff more, now that I know I won't have to deal with lag afterward.

Top Bottom