• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

June 17 Wii update (PAL only?)

Flayl

Smash Hero
I received a wii notice saying there was an update available. This update would do something useless about the mii channel and more importantly it said it would delete all save files with unauthorized modifications.

I know that by the description I probably didn't have anything to fear, but as a owner of NTSC brawl in Europe, I stayed on the safe side and didn't download it.

So the simple question is, has this update deleted any of your save files?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
From what I can find....

The latest update, which rolls the Wii Menu to 3.3, not only kills the Twilight Hack, but also allows you to move a Mii from the Mii Plaza into the Mii Parade directly, thanks to the addition of a handy new icon. You just drag and drop as you normally would.

But, let's get back to the real news here. Nintendo has finally gone ahead and sunk the U.S.S. Homebrew. We're anxious to see how the community is going to take this one.

Update: According to commenters, the update doesn't kill the Homebrew Channel (if it was already installed), so there's still something for you all to have fun with.
duck and cover, twilight haxors, they're on to you!

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Wow. That really sucks for Europe. I hope most people didn't update yet. I wonder if people already have NTSC save data if it will carry over to the PAL version.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
At some point you will have to update. At least if you want to keep playing new games. Out of the games I know Pokemon Battle Revo., Metroid Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy all had updates. Future releases will probably follow.

Smash might have too actually. I was too excited to pay attention to that part. XD

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
At some point you will have to update. At least if you want to keep playing new games. Out of the games I know Pokemon Battle Revo., Metroid Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy all had updates. Future releases will probably follow.

Smash might have too actually. I was too excited to pay attention to that part. XD
You can insert the freeloader twice to "block" mandatory disc updates. It's fine.

Still sucks though :(:(:(

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
Just a few weeks before the PAL release of Brawl. A bit too convenient, eh? Well, if you ever want to update your Wii again, you're pretty screwed.

Brandon72196

Smash Apprentice
haha sucks to be you ,freeloaders users

modchip ftw for USA/JPN games

updated. works flawless
No mod gecko reigon free FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!one
Any way, sucks to be you freeloader users over there in Europe where theres just a big hole in nintendo's map lul...

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
Its actually not a big deal for people who already use homebrew, since they would know enough not to update. This really hurts people who are new or do not know how the update will cripple their Wiis.

The European Brawl players need to be careful if the EU Brawl version does try to force them to take this update. You could just take the update if you really think homebrew is useless, but I've always been taught to say no to drugs and bad firmware updates. Gecko Region Free should be able to bypass the update assuming it is not required for playing the game, which usually seems like the case.

If for some reason you decide to install the update (even if you have a modchip) you will loose the ability to play edited game discs(http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4706260), which also breaks the Freeloader since it needs it this too. It will also remove unauthorized TP save files, which are needed for the twlight hack to run homebrew. The homebrew channel still works in 3.3, but there would be no way to install it.

I don't even know why Nintendo tries though. People have pointed out that Nintendo has been working on this update for 3 months according to the timestamps, yet someone already found new exploits to get the twlight hack working within 8 hours :laugh:.

Top Bottom