• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jungle Japes

C.O.C.K

Smash Cadet
Does it give him the advantage, or disadvantage?

I played it earlier today against a Luigi. And found out that he has some good elements for DK.
You get the water which helps with his bad vertical ability to recover. You get four edges that he can pretty much spinning kong under to the other side. And between the main platform and of the side platforms you can spam his spinning kong, and mix in some bairs. Your almost never vulnerable with these edges. Just watch the crock. You can grab to cargo off the edge so they cant recover. Back to my edges talk all of his aerials become good with this.

NO ONE WORD ANSWERS please
Explain your reasoning behind this map and discuss.

i1337

Smash Ace
wow you pretty much summed it up lol.

water spikes too :)

also, downb pretty much covers the entire centre platform :bigthumbu

EDIT: im pretty sure it has a high ceiling though, which makes it harder to kill with dsmash

C.O.C.K

Smash Cadet
Yea I was going to say and usmash when caught on the upper platform would kill but celing is to high. But doesnt the dsmash send there diagonally, and the horizontal walls are pretty close. DownB owns here too forgot about that. So could this be DK's best stage? I personally dont like brinstar.

-Brinstar
No Cargo Spike.
No spiking in general
The platform poke setup doesnt work
The egg thingys in the middle annoy me.
Still one of DK's better stages

C.O.C.K

Smash Cadet
Yea but the water lets cargo spikes, and cargo kills altogether.
I want JJ to be his best stage cause its his own stage. lol DK looks weird on brinstar

i1337

Smash Ace
lol, dk is weird on metroid stages :p
you can actually cargo spike on brinstar if the fleshy orb things arent broken, i just remembered lol.

I also like the music for jungle japes :p

also check your pms or "notifications"....or whatever lol :)

Luigi player

Smash Master
It is not better than Brinstar (I never lost a game there). I now always CP Brinstar and choose DK (even though Diddy is my main and DK my secondary). It is so much easier to win there than anywhere else.

I tried counterpicking Jungle Japes against ROB... and got owned. Badly. He never comes to you, he just stands on one of the side platforms and shoots his gyro and lasers. If you try to approach him he just sidedodges and dsmashes. I COULDN'T DO ANYTHING.

It really depends on your enemys character, but Brinstar is still much better. I love Jungle Japes too though, just not against characters who can just camp/spam =/

rehab

Smash Journeyman
It's possible to cargo throw somebody under one of the platforms from the middle. It's pretty ballin.

Luigi player

Smash Master
lol, dk is weird on metroid stages :p
you can actually cargo spike on brinstar if the fleshy orb things arent broken, i just remembered lol.
Really? I couldn't do it. They are too far away, and the acid was so annoying, I couldn't even try it in training mode without having to wait forever until the acid is low enough.

And if you really can, it's not worth it imo. The acid might rescue them and stops you if you want to try cargo spiking. And if they have enough percent for it to work I'd rather kill them with a smash or something... it is MUCH easier...

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
omg 1:29-1:32 is hilarious in that video. Just listen to the music. And nice find.

Veggi

Smash Champion
You can also normally cargo spike on the stage and it will still kill them if it's done on the left platform cargo spiking from the right side of it. I've actually thrown MK, had him bounce off the left platform, then bounce off the right platform and get carried away to his death by the water.

It's also very useful to meteor smash people into the water as they go around the 3 platforms and DK can cargo, jump off and throw them out of the stage boundary. In addition to him being able to up-b off the left and right platforms and be able to land in the center one with no lag. IMO this stage is also suprisingly good for Diddy.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Guys I will be posting a vid of my DK vs my bros Falco sometime on this map. Its so favorable to DK, I dont want to spoil anything but this stage is crazy in favor of falco

ps im C.O.C.K

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
LOL, this is my counter pick everytime. and then ever now and then I use coreria

i1337

Smash Ace
lol, corneria is also pretty good for dk. it has a low ceiling (dsmash kills <3) and a wall for the dtilt infinite.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
if you ever play a falco here, let him damage you up until 35% with lasers so he can't chaingrab you

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
if you ever play a falco here, let him damage you up until 35% with lasers so he can't chaingrab you
Well you typically chaingrab for damage, so if you let him lazer to 35% he still wins...unless you intend to avoid a chaingrab to dair spike, but even then i don't see why you would let him damage you. Its the age old smash philosophy: don't get hit.

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
Brinstar will always be my first pick with DK, but Jungle Japes is a good backup if my opponent bans it. I especially love cargo throwing the opponent into the klaptraps. ^ ^

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
i like it a lot, if you fall off the water on the right most platform, you can actually recover in time, which most other characters cannot do.
I wouldn't say most, but a good number, yeah. It's important to note that Snake is one of the ones who cannot recover in time, so if needed you can take him here. The short platforms mean the utilt and mortar slide are suddenly much less scary, so watch out for ftilt and you can even up the matchup a bit by bringing him here.

i1337

Smash Ace
how is it hard for snake to recover here?

also, u must mean that the high ceiling is bad for his utilt...right? lol

Luigi player

Smash Master
DK should never die from the water. He can upB in the water all the time to the right side of the stage into his death if he wants (and if the Klaptraps don't hit you).

I'd also not like a Falco to laser me up to 35 %... the dair isn't that bad, because it won't kill you that early anyway, and DK should always be able to recover from the water, if you don't have bad luck with the Klaptraps...

Jungle Japes ***** Ike. But yeah, Brinstar is my number one DK stage. I'm starting to find it sad that it's not a neutral stage, I'd always like to play there first =D

I'd probably choose Delfino Plaza over Jungle Japes most of the time, but it really depends on the character you're fighting against...

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
how is it hard for snake to recover here?
It takes a long time for Snake to get out of the water after he's fallen, this is not due to his weight but is different for each character (aka it takes Kirby forever too lol). Also his recovery doesn't eliminate much momentum, so even if he makes it out he may not survive.

Skink

Smash Apprentice
I just sort of hate fighting Pikachu on this level. He can spam his B off of either side onto the main platform, and jumping/retreating thunder or other shenanigans make Pikachu pretty hard to approach if he just camps. Aside from that matchup, and matchups I don't like anyway (falco, for example) I love this stage. It has the DK feel.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
i never fought a pika here but, you can use DK's upB to go under the platforms onto the of the side and in a short amount of time. But to get to the other side of the middle platform you must jump before spinning konging

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
LOL in the end it was a mistake, I think i dropped my controller. And the falco one was just to show how some characters cant recover on the right side.

Oblique

Smash Apprentice
Don't fight koSa!'s DK. He'll destroy you or at least the baby croc will.

Skink

Smash Apprentice
Toon Link is obnoxious on this stage. It's really easy to camp on either of the sides. Being able to hit all of the stage with fast projectiles is obnoxious, and approach is kind of difficult when you can't really land without being in smash a range.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Bump

This needs to be known guys. Play a match on JJ with DK and see for yourself.

Note: To measure the cargo spike throw, use the fire lamps. Put the tip of your opponents head where the lamp is and then Dthrow.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
this has been my favorite counterpick stage for quite some time now, it's very good for vertical ko characters, namely
Snake
Game and Watch
Dedede
R.O.B.
Fox
Olimar
and a few others that you'll never run into like bowser

basically the high ceiling makes dk near unkillable off the top. unfortunately you have to change your tactics a bit, bair and fsmash get better but dsmash won't get kills here, so just space back and fsmash when you would usually dsmash. cargo/dthrow both turn into kill moves due to the platform and river, bair works too if the other guy has fail DI. Fair becomes a good aerial on this stage, as it will kill if it hits (spike or normal), don't go for dair spikes as much though.

also, crocs come by at every 7 (on the right) and 3 (on the left) if you have a timer on

CBK

Smash Journeyman
The best part about JJ is that cargo from the stage just do it on the left side of the stage and unless they teck they fall and are swept away. This is more a counter pick against characters that have sucky horizontal recoveries and that excel at killing atop the stage. The stage is so high DK doesn't die, And he kills insanly low from either side. Campy characters are a toss up. If you play falco there let him lazer camp you until you hit the not chainthrowable 42 to be safe other wise you get mess up because he chain throws you to spike and unless your the master of mashing out of the water (like me) you will usually die even when you get out and up b. R.O.B. can be campy everywhere the only problem he forces your air game and since it's hard to kill him it ***** him.

Brinstar on the other hand helps DK with all the extended hit boxes, and the small walls and ceiling. The way you can up B all they way to the other side of the stage if your being pressured. The lava helps if the opponent tries stuff like chain grabbing I'd suggets this one against characters like DDD if your only going to use DK.

Best DK stage though is still Luigi's mansion why because I'm unbeatable. Well almost I've lost twice on it not in tournament rather lost while playing MMs. But massive extended hit boxes and low ceiling make for great up B spam and Down b chains if they don't tech. And trust me it's much harder to tech when thats happening than you think. You can get easily 50 every time you down b. Large stage makes it so Dk doesn't die until like 200 or more percent with really good DI. Even MK though tornado is annoying you win by going behind the pillar have an SA punch ready and if they come near you jump punch the pillar and **** that little ball of invisible hit boxes.

Top Bottom