• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just one word of caution for SSB4 now that Brawl is out.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
I like many other people have started to see a pattern to the way Sakurai is making Smash. During the time of Melee, Sakurai held a poll to see who the fans most wanted characters would be, but many fan-favorites were left on the cutting floor... characters like Wolf, Wario, Diddy, Pit, Pokemon Trainer, and Dedede. Oddly enough these were the newcomers to arrive in Brawl, catching on to the conspiracy. Lucas was left out because Mother 64 was cancelled, but was planned to be in, Meta Knight and Dedede were left out because he didn't want to add many characters from his own series, Pit and Meta Knight were left out because of the complications with flying. PT didn't get in because of the difficulties of enabling the ability of the switching system, and Sakurai views PT as someone who can't fight on his own.. As for the rest, Toon Link, Ike, and Lucario were upgrades from the latest installments to replace Young Link, Roy, and Mewtwo, (just for a fun odd coincidence, all the upgraded characters have the same amount of letters between them as the ones they replaced, 18 letters between each set). R.O.B. was the new nostalgic WTF character after G&W. Olimar and Snaker are the exceptions; Olimar being the newest Miyamoto major franchise and Snake because Kojima begged for him to be included. Because Snake got in, this opened the door for the fan requested Sonic to have a second chance of making it after the M&S at the Olympic games was announced, which he did after the characters were picked.

Anyway, now that I've gone through all the newcomers in Brawl, let me actually make my point, Sakurai announced at GDC that he came up with the roster in 2005 when production started and most of the characters were finished by 2006. Sonic was the only exception being put in the game in 2006. This means Sakurai's poll in 2006 wasn't even looked at for characters. He got the majority of his newcomer list from the Melee polls.

Now for the true purpose of this post. Just like Melee's poll wasn't really used for Melee, and how Brawls poll wasn't used to make Brawl's roster, but Melee's poll was used for Brawl, that means that Brawls poll will be used for SSB4.

The point I'm making is, now that Brawl is out, no new suggestions will make any effect on SSB4's roster, because all the data Sakurai will care about, he has already collected. As unfair as it may sound, no newer character really has much of a chance in SSB4, so expect only what you wanted from Brawl to be in SSB4 and be happy with it... do not expect any new fan-favorites outside of Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and possibly Zelda, (series that introduce new characters often) to make an appearance in SSB4. Krystal, Isaac, possibly Geno, maybe Ridley if he isn't just a boss again, and other highly requested characters will be about what we get for newcomers when/if SSB4 comes out.

I wasn't around these forums when Melee was coming out because I only had a PS2, so I didn't see this coming, but now that I know it has happened twice, it will almost defiantly happen the next time around. All I'm saying is don't expect any more than what was requested during Brawl, or else prepare for as much disappointment as when the final Melee and Brawl rosters were first leaked.

DLC was the only thing that could have balanced out this cycle, but either Sakurai has no interest, or is just bluffing. Either way, for now, just heed these words, and just look forward to the Brawl requested characters in SSB4, since that's all that will be included.

FOR ALL THE FLAMERS, BASHERS, AND TROLLS OUT THERE, THIS IS NOT A ROSTER COMPLAINT THREAD OR A LOOKING FORWARD TO SSB4 THREAD. THIS IS A WARNING THREAD SO PEOPLE DON'T COMPLAIN ABOUT THE ROSTER IN SSB4, LIKED THEY DID FOR BRAWL AND MELEE.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Isaac wears a scarf and his games suck so he won't be in.

Krystal is Krystal so she won't be in.

Ridley is way to big so he won't be in.

Geno is the lamest character in video game history so he won't be in.

I win.

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
anti flame warning attracts flamers...

But, how about warning about SSB4 roster when SSB4 is announced?

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
NO, it has to be done now, or else people won't understand then. They will shove it off, and thus again be disappointed, and will have tons of complaint threads again. This is to prevent future spam, a thread like this should be stickied, so all the main posters know so when SSB4 is announced, they can just tell the newbs who suggest newer character not to.

Agent 1337

Smash Apprentice
Never really paid attention to the net before Melee was released so I wouldn't know that. Pretty interesting info there, BUT Toon Link is eight letters, while Young Link is nine. Also, Lucario is seven while I'm pretty sure Mewtwo is six.

Other than that, great thread.

Lingy

Smash Journeyman
The likelihood for a SSB4 is low. Sakurai said he didn't want to make a sequel solely for the purpose of adding new characters.

Natis

Smash Apprentice
We don't even know if Sakurai will be making the next one. If there is one...

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Just MAYBE there won't be a SSB4...
Hahaha :laugh:

I just laugh at people who say this, do you honestly know how many copies of Brawl will be sold in the US over this weekend, how many have already sold in the short time it's been out in Japan, how much money has been made off Smash as a whole. Like Nintedo, being the money mongers they are, are going to let one of their biggest selling franchises just cease... ROFLMFAO :chuckle:

You people just don't understand business, just because Sakurai hinted at first that this would be a last doesn't make it so, he even hinted or should I say let slip of a SSB4 in the future. Or even if Sakurai doesn't come back, Nintendo will get someone else to do it, why, because it makes money, and that's the heart and sole of a capitalistic big business.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Never really paid attention to the net before Melee was released so I wouldn't know that. Pretty interesting info there, BUT Toon Link is eight letters, while Young Link is nine. Also, Lucario is seven while I'm pretty sure Mewtwo is six.

Other than that, great thread.
Sum of the letters, Toon Link is 8 + Lucario is 7 = 15 + Ike = 18

Young Link 9 + Mewtwo 6 = 15 + Roy = 18

That's what I meant.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
The likelihood for a SSB4 is low. Sakurai said he didn't want to make a sequel solely for the purpose of adding new characters.
correction: the possibility of SAKURAI making a SSB4 is low. A SSB4, made by some other guy, is very likely though.

Did they ever really say that they were NOT doing DLC?
No. A guy from nintendo actually told desctructoid that they were considering Pay2Play for SSBB, so they can make it happen. The possibility isn't too certain though, so don't get your hopes up.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Did they ever really say that they were NOT doing DLC?
Sakurai said no DLC characters in an interview with IGN, he pretty much stated he didn't think it was possible due to a lack of a hard drive... yet two days later Nintendo announced DLC is possible and will happen for games in the future, but no real details were released on it.

This leads me to believe Sakurai might have lied for non-disclosure reasons. But at this point, I'm not expected DLC, but I'll be the first to jump up-and-down and run around the neighborhood screaming in joy if it does :laugh: ;)

Natis

Smash Apprentice
firedragon_jing said:
This leads me to believe Sakurai might have lied for non-disclosure reasons. But at this point, I'm not expected DLC, but I'll be the first to jump up-and-down and run around the neighborhood screaming in joy if it does
Lol, Sakurai wouldn't lie about it. What he would do is tell us that there IS DLC to build up extra hype, then tell us that there really isn't, and make everyone sad...
That just sounds like him...

Darkslash

Smash Master
Lol, Sakurai wouldn't lie about it. What he would do is tell us that there IS DLC to build up extra hype, then tell us that there really isn't, and make everyone sad...
That just sounds like him...
No not really. He most likely lied for the Sake of Nintendo :laugh: seeing Rock Band is expected to come on the Wii.... DLC for that :laugh:

any ways whats with the Forbidden 7? and the What If tracks? Brawl DLC might be unlocking those characters but thats just me :laugh: Don't flame me :(

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
Big hole in this pattern is that he wasn't even really planning for Brawl. He thought Melee would be the last one, maybe. But then he was told he was to lead the Brawl team after it was announced in '05. It's funny when people go around telling everyone your going to be leading project that you thought you were done with.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Big hole in this pattern is that he wasn't even really planning for Brawl. He thought Melee would be the last one, maybe. But then he was told he was to lead the Brawl team after it was announced in '05. It's funny when people go around telling everyone your going to be leading project that you thought you were done with.
This really isn't an excuse. Lets say you've been studying a foreign language for 5 years or longer, and someone tells you to give a speech in the foriegn language. You're not going to panic from not knowing because you've studied and thought about it in the past. This is just an example, but I hope you get my point. Just because he hadn't planned to do so, doesn't mean he wasn't ready to do so, and he was given 2 whole years of development, for a game he already had many of the mechanics for already made from Melee and even 64. The point is, he chose to choose the roster right away instead of waiting and listening to the fans, it's not that he wasn't prepared, it was that he was already prepared and had the game plotted out before leaping into production, and he'll do the same if he is somehow dragged into making SSB4...

Top Bottom