• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I wonder if we'll get any references to K. Rool's DK64 fight in the game, whether it be an event match in the Punch Out!! ring or a boxing glove attack. The green shockwaves are pretty common in many of his movesets, but those could be seen as too similar to the Bowser and Yoshi Bombs.

Korporal K. Reep

Smash Apprentice
I'd love his boxing outfit/version's "YEAH!" pose as a taunt.
That along with his voice clip would be perfect as one of his taunts. K. Rool turning to gawk at the screen is a must too. And of course, collapsing to feign defeat (this one should be able to be taunt-cancelled).

As for the boxer K. Rool references, maybe a boxing glove uppercut could be implemented for his up-smash.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I'd be okay with any version of K. Rool,but I hope he has two different costumes like Wario.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Look, all I want (Aside from at LEAST a Kaptain outfit, which I think is a given), is an event match featuring K. Rool vs. Little Mac in the Punch-Out!! Ring.

PLEASE!

That might just restore my faith in, well, everything if it happened!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why not both Little Mac and Donkey Kong? Would make it a little more challenging.

Groose

Smash Champion
This thread just... stalled. We need something to discuss, but we've kinda discussed everything already.

Ah well. Maybe this will get things moving again.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Am I the only who want Sakurai to go DKC Returns on us and say :
"There is no crocodiles in this game *laughs* "

Then add :
"Kremlings however..."

Sakurai for king of trolls 2014.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm expecting more along the lines of...

Iwata: *in Iwata voice* We have...one more treat for fans of the Donkey Kong series. Please, take a look.

*K. Rool trailer begins*

Probably not this early, but who knows...

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I'm expecting more along the lines of...

Iwata: *in Iwata voice* We have...one more treat for fans of the Donkey Kong series. Please, take a look.

*K. Rool trailer begins*

Probably not this early, but who knows...
I love it when characters are confirmed that way.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
As far as voices go, in the past, we've discussed his DK64 voice, his nasally modern voice, his cartoon voice, and even realistic crocodile sound effects. What voice he's likely to have really depends on what voices Bowser and DK use in this game...so far, we know that Mario uses his Brawl voice, but there's still a chance other characters received changes in that regard.

In the meantime, while indulging my 90's Disney nostalgia, I stumbled upon an original voice that I believe would suit K. Rool perfectly. Just ignore the Hulk Speak and imagine that bellowing and roaring laughter out of the Kremling King...it's some quality stuff.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I'd be down with the cyclopes' voice for K. Rool. Sounds fitting enough.

That video reminded me: the Wilhelm Scream. In Smash 4, every character should have a 1% chance of shouting the Wilhelm Scream when launched off-screen.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm still having hopes K Rool is somehow the third unidentified protagonist in Tropical Freeze

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
All I know is on wikipedia and mario wiki, all it says is a "Fourth unidentified character"

They at least have no other links saying it's a confirmed Kong

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
I just wanted to say that I support K.Rool!

and that I would love to see sequel to DK64!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It doesn't look too good for K.Rool... No Kremlings in DKCTF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYoaLHIQ8Zc

Just what the hell is wrong with them? Don't they understand what they do every time they decide to leave the Kremlings out? The way he says "We don't have any Kremlings this time" gives me hope, but god damn it, I wish they'd clean up their act with the villains already. K. Rool is iconic for a reason, stop leaving him out.

Also, I don't really care about Vikings.

Edit: At least they acknowledged them. Hopefully Sakurai will do more than that.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I saw that video a few days ago on DKVine and didn't think much of it, because the idea of K. Rool being playable was always a longshot. I am disappointed that, barring Tanabe telling an uncharacteristic blatant lie, K. Rool won't be the final boss, because no matter what it is, it's always going to feel like a K. Rool wannabe (banana-stealing Tiki ruler with a wonky eye, giant Viking animal, etc.) It also is pretty horrible that, because of Retro's complete dismissal of the rich DKC character cast at their disposal, we have to hope for their appearances in Smash Bros., rather than their actual home series.

At least "no Kremlings this time" is better than "there are no crocodiles in this game *laughs* Do they really need to come back?" In the meantime, we'll have to look to Donkey Kong Country - He Came, He Saw, He Kong-Quered for our K. Rool fix.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
The Kremlings will come back eventually. This is the same kind of stuff Nintendo pulled with that long absence that the Koopalings had. Eventually, they'll bring them back for fanservice purposes.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The Kremlings will come back eventually. This is the same kind of stuff Nintendo pulled with that long absence that the Koopalings had. Eventually, they'll bring them back for fanservice purposes.

I'll believe that. I've been drawing that parallel for a long time. I'm just pointing my angryness at Retro right now, because really I see it as all their doing. Especially since "No Kremlings this time" was the reason. Not only did they acknowledge them, but they acknowledged that yet again, they chose not to use them.

At least they aren't eternally forgotten. This is actually another bit of ammo for my hatred of the widespread idea that Nintendo itself is trying to "remove them from existence".

Korporal K. Reep

Smash Apprentice
In the meantime, we'll have to look to Donkey Kong Country - He Came, He Saw, He Kong-Quered for our K. Rool fix.
Speaking of the new DKC DVD, I hoped that it would have all the episodes on it, but Amazon states that the run time is only 70 minutes, which is probably only about 2 episodes. :ohwell:

On the plus side, you can supposedly get an exclusive tie for DK in Smash 4 if you order the DVD on the Wii U eShop (according to a reviewer). Does anyone know if this is this true?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It doesn't look too good for K.Rool... No Kremlings in DKCTF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYoaLHIQ8Zc
Not that it's a big surprise, but I still had a small glimmer of hope for them. Well, we can only hope that by saying "this time" they're at least having plans for them. Regardless, this means that there won't be any Kremlings before SSB4, and while I don't see that as a huge kick against K. Rool it would have been nice if the "Dixie over K. Rool because she's more recent" crowd could have been shut.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I applaud your optimism about the Kremlings; you're probably right that they'll be back eventually, I'd just rather it not be years from now, after Retro's made umpteen one-shot villains and moved on, leaving some new company to pick up the franchise (and possibly after real life usurps all my gaming time). I'd also want to guarantee K. Rool a starting role in the game, rather than a Captain Syrup-esque cameo, and Smash Bros. would seal this deal for sure.

To be honest, I haven't looked into the DVD that thoroughly, I just use it as a tool to expose the absurdity of "relevance." Each episode of the cartoon is about 22-23 minutes, so that would allow for three episodes in this release...I wonder which ones they'll be?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, at least "this time" signifies that not all is lost. Still, damn you Miyamoto.

And that's kind of a buzzkill for me about the DVD not having all the episodes. Then again, it was like that with the VHS version too wasn't it?

Groose

Smash Champion
Yeah, at least "this time" signifies that not all is lost. Still, damn you Miyamoto.

And that's kind of a buzzkill for me about the DVD not having all the episodes. Then again, it was like that with the VHS version too wasn't it?

It was.

I'm not cut up over the lack of Kremlings in Tropical Freeze. I'm fully prepared to welcome the Vikings into the series. I hope that they're memorable where the Tikis were not.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Personally, I think the Vikings look to be rather compelling enemies, modeled in the spirit of the DKC2 Kremlings as sea-faring baddies and obviously better than the Tikis (though, really, what isn't better?). HelI, the first boss we've seen, Big Top the Seal, is arguably more interesting than just about all of DKCR's bosses. I just lack confidence that the lead Viking will be anything more than Diet K. Rool. I'd greatly enjoy being proven wrong in this regard.

On the topic of final bosses, as large a crapsack final boss as Tiki Tong was, I'd welcome him as a Smash boss if it meant fighting him as K. Rool. Too soon for boss clones?

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
I'm gonna go ahead and say the Kremlings being absent from the new DKC games isn't a big deal. I think about it this way. Retro basically inherited an established franchise from a team (Rare) that inherited an established franchise. When Rare was making the game, they had a lot more freedom. DK had to be there, and barrels I guess, but they got to create the world, Diddy, Dixie, K. Rool and every other element. Retro has a little less freedom than that. Playable characters, Cranky, barrel cannons, bananas, etc. are all leftovers. Getting to create their own enemies is a cool way for them to flex their creative muscle while still keeping in step with what Rare was doing.

I have no idea what this means for K. Rool's chances in Smash, but it's how I look at it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Vikings are at least a ton better than Tikis. And I do appriciate Retro's work on the series much more than say, Nintendo EAD's with Jungle Beat, so am still cool with them. I do wish they brought back the Kremlings for a 3rd, and perhaps final DKCR game. I think the series deserve to be a triology, amd feel that would be best. And I think it would create MASS HYPE and perhaps sales to if they end this with a Kremling ending. I don't wanna see them go all New Super Mario Bros. on DKCR, so am still hoping for this. Thusfar, Tropical Freeze looks way more promising than what DKCR was in the end. So I'm still looking out for it.

Am mostly dissapointed in Diddy's decreasing role ever since Returns however.

Top Bottom