• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Vez

Smash Apprentice
I find that boss battle a bit of a joke to be quite honest. If you're going to just straight up copy K. Rool, you might as well just use him. I gave the new guy the benefit of the doubt originally but after this I think he's terrible.

I actually think I preferred Tiki Tong because at least he wasn't a blatant copy of K. Rool.

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
Hmm.
Not K. Rool, but at least his fight is awesome unlike Tiki Tong's. Though to me, it seemed to channel a bit of K. Rool on certain parts.
He may be not K. Rool.. but the fight was Kremling alike. I approve. but just give me some reptiles next, Retro. =P
I find that boss battle a bit of a joke to be quite honest. If you're going to just straight up copy K. Rool, you might as well just use him. I gave the new guy the benefit of the doubt originally but after this I think he's terrible.
"Yeah. His charge is like K. Rool's shoulder charge, the Ice Dragon is like the Blunderbuss, the falling objects are like the Kannonballs, disappearing into the background is like the teleportation device in the second Roolenstein battle. Heck, he even laughs during the battle like K. Rool. The only really unique thing he has is the jump that moves the platforms, and even that can be compared to the ground pound Rool does in DK64.

...in other words, the Walrus uses pretty much every move that K. Rool ever used, and does pretty much nothing of his own. I'm... I'm still undecided about how I feel about this."

...my thoughts on GameFAQs. I'm not using spoiler tags anymore because three people before me have also spoiled things.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Honestly, the fact that they drew so much from him makes me wonder why they didn't just didn't have King K. Rool hijack the plot. It would be one thing to give a couple nods via his moveset but this feels like almost like a copy of the original character and thus doesn't stand out for himself, which is a shame because the rest of his trope have been doing just the opposite before this.

I don't know, maybe playing the game myself will help my opinion of this, but right now I'm disappointed with him.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I already miss Tiki Tong. At least he was an unique boss and his boss theme was great.

Last edited:

Waluridleykryrool

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps it's the other way around, and all this time K Rool has actually been a walrus disguised as a Crocodile.
:troll:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So… Wahalla pretty much does everything King K. Rool can do in his final boss fight…?
I didn't watch the video as I want to experience the final boss on my own. However, from what I'm hearing, if Retro was going to make the final boss like King K. Rool, why didn't they make the main villain King K. Rool?

Hoots

Can Be Combative
To everyone asking the (very rational) question, "Why not just have K. Rool and Kremlings?" I have your answer right here:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Implying that Miyamoto forced Retro not to use the Kremlings.
As much brouhaha as the "Rare owns the Kremlings" thing.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Implying that Miyamoto forced Retro not to use the Kremlings.
As much brouhaha as the "Rare owns the Kremlings" thing.
Miyamoto has repeatedly gone out of his way to exclude the Kremlings from every single post-Rare Donkey Kong game he's been a part of.

D

Deleted member

Miyamoto has repeatedly gone out of his way to exclude the Kremlings from every single post-Rare Donkey Kong game he's been a part of.
I'm going to need some sources here.
EDIT: And by that, I mean of Miyamoto making the conscious choice to force out K. Rool, not a list of post-Rare DK games he's worked on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I'm going to need some sources here.
EDIT: And by that, I mean of Miyamoto making the conscious choice to force out K. Rool, not a list of post-Rare DK games he's worked on.
Of course Miyamoto isn't going to go on record to say that he hates Kremlings or actively excluded them. However, the only Donkey Kong games post Rare to include Kremlings were developed by Paon, which is a third party company. In Jungle Beat, where Miyamoto had a major role (and the game was developed by Nintendo), not only were Kremlings excluded, but every single element that Rare had invented was purged. Clearly, fan outrage was enough to bring back Diddy, Dixie, Cranky, Rambi, etc. but with Returns and Tropical Freeze, it's clear that there is a line drawn at Kremlings. You'd have to be crazy to think that there isn't at least an ounce of malevolence there since the Kremlings are not even referenced in the slightest degree in any of the Nintendo/Retro DK games.

D

Deleted member

I'm not crazy; I'm just not a conspiracy theorist.

In fact, considering Miyamoto had to tell Retro Studios that Cranky Kong not being in Returns wasn't an option tells me a different story; that the lack of K. Rool and the Kremlings is their doing.

I can't say anything for Jungle Beat, since they weren't involved with it, but to think it was an attempt to "purge" everything Rare out of DK is just ****ing nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think that 'New Enemies' are just an area where Retro feels entitled to flex their "creative" muscle, and doing so happens to come at the expense of a classic enemy group infinitely better than anything they could ever dream of, along with their leader. What's more, it's pretty universally accepted that the Tikis were possibly one of the worst new enemy groups in Nintendo history, so they sought to rectify that with the Vikings in their sequel. And, aside from Diet K. Rool, they succeeded in most fans' eyes.

Retro did suck up to Miyamoto to a large extent by only adding in the characters he picked out as his favorites (Cranky) and by literally bending over backward to his every demand (adding in blowing because he thought a dust effect looking like blowing). That's on them and whatever collective mental affliction they have that gives them an aversion to awesome final bosses, though, not on him.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
People still think that Miyamoto hates the Kremlings? Ever just think that Miyamoto doesn't like using things he doesn't make? Like Wario, who hasn't appeared in a mainstream Mario game since his introduction?

Miyamoto doesn't "hate" anything. He just doesn't like using things other people came up with.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
People still think that Miyamoto hates the Kremlings? Ever just think that Miyamoto doesn't like using things he doesn't make? Like Wario, who hasn't appeared in a mainstream Mario game since his introduction?

Miyamoto doesn't "hate" anything. He just doesn't like using things other people came up with.
odd.

I would love to use star fox for a game.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I already miss Tiki Tong. At least he was an unique boss and his boss theme was great.
Yes, because a big floating head with giant hands that it relies on has never been done before.

I think people are being too quick to judge Fredrik Walrus just because he's not K. Rool. Actually sorta like how he has K. Rool's kind of boss moves/patterns. Shows that our beloved krocodile king hasn't been forgotten in spirit at the very least, and in a way, it arguably makes it even more plausible that K. Rool might return again in the series someday, even if it's not necessarily done by Retro.

Reila

Yes, because a big floating head with giant hands that it relies on has never been done before.
Not in Donkey Kong Country, at least. The walrus is a copy of the most memorable villain in the series, Tiki Tong isn't.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace

he was in mario 64 ds

Waluridleykryrool

Smash Journeyman
Oh come on, I liked the tikis but even i thought Tiki Tong was a pretty lame final boss. Now granted I haven't watched the final boss fight yet as i'm waiting to play through the game myself next week but Lord Fredrik really doesn't need much to outshine Tiki Tong my opinion.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Not in Donkey Kong Country, at least. The walrus is a copy of the most memorable villain in the series, Tiki Tong isn't.
That's pretty trivial as far as actual originality's concerned. Just because Tiki Tong's boss concept wasn't done in DKC prior, doesn't automatically make it "unique" in general.

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
Gotta agree with most of the boards, that final fight was kind of a copy from our King.... looks way more interesting than the Tiki one though
Big day tomorrow guys! Being realistic I dont expect our King yet, but still the direct could influence on his chances (with a possible confirmation of dixie, the tag team diddy- dixie or just with diddy).

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
It's not even the fact that they used a new final boss here - it's that it seems like they literally went out of their way to make him as K. Rool-esque as possible. You could reskin this guy as K. Rool wearing whatever outfit and literally nothing would change. Even the voice sounds just like his DK64 laugh.

On that note, I'm going to come right out and say that if a DK newcomer is revealed tomorrow, it's going to be a Diddy/Dixie tagteam/revamp. Not to say anything about the King's chances, but trailer-wise, they're going to be hopping around a jungle when suddenly the DK newcomer appears out of nowhere. And it feels awkward for just DK to do that when they haven't revealed any other characters from his series.

Last edited:

Reila

That's pretty trivial as far as actual originality's concerned. Just because Tiki Tong's boss concept wasn't done in DKC prior, doesn't automatically make it "unique" in general.
It does make it better than K. Rool's boring expy. Far better. The hate towards Tiki Tong is extremely exaggerated.

Last edited:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I guess the positive thing then is that Sakurai doesn't have to answer to Miyamoto with Super Smash Bros, so Sakurai can do as he pleases regarding K. Rool.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It does make it better than K. Rool's boring expy. Far better. The hate towards Tiki Tong is extremely exaggerated.
The Tiki Tong hate is perfectly understandable. We plummeted all the way down from an in-depth and strategic two fights against Baron K. Roolenstein in the last Country game to yet another generic hands boss, typical of the other Nintendo series from which DKC sets itself apart otherwise. Everyone aside from a few optimists saw a Generic Tiki God coming a mile away back in 2010, but no one thought it would be that generic.

People can dislike both Retro DKC final boss fights for different reasons; Tiki Tong was a disposable wooden trope while Diet K. Rool lived up to his name in every sense imaginable. And both of them paled to almost every regular boss from their respective games, other than maybe the Crabs.

Last edited:

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
http://wiiudaily.com/2014/02/dkc-tropical-freeze-video-comparison/

Apparently, loading times may be an slight issue for Tropical Freeze (as it seems for most Wii U games in general). While it is not exactly a make-it-or-break-it moment for the Tropical Freeze (which will more-than-likely be met with positive reception), it is quite evident Nintendo should have handled certain aspects of HD resolution in a more suitable manner.

That stated, with the imminent arrival of the upcoming Nintendo Direct, and Tropical Freeze soon afterwards, the excitement is in the air and it is electrifying (although I caution careful discretion on the former).

Last edited:

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Of course Miyamoto isn't going to go on record to say that he hates Kremlings or actively excluded them. However, the only Donkey Kong games post Rare to include Kremlings were developed by Paon, which is a third party company. In Jungle Beat, where Miyamoto had a major role (and the game was developed by Nintendo), not only were Kremlings excluded, but every single element that Rare had invented was purged. Clearly, fan outrage was enough to bring back Diddy, Dixie, Cranky, Rambi, etc. but with Returns and Tropical Freeze, it's clear that there is a line drawn at Kremlings. You'd have to be crazy to think that there isn't at least an ounce of malevolence there since the Kremlings are not even referenced in the slightest degree in any of the Nintendo/Retro DK games.
Miyamoto was supervisor for both King of Swing and Jungle Climber. If what you say was true, the Kremlings wouldn't have been in either of those games. Because frankly, a third party handling a Nintendo franchise is going to heavily supervised and regulated.

I think Miyamoto's influence on Nintendo is way too strong as well. But this isn't the case.

Edit: Miyamoto was also supervisor and character designer for Mario Power Tennis. Which had Kritters and Klaptraps. Whoever is ****-blocking the Kremlings, it's not him.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Thank you BKupa. Took the words right out of my mouthresponse that I would've tried to make.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
The boss isn't that bad if you don't take K.Rool into consideration though that's kinda hard with all the similarities. Did anybody else notice the Stickerbrush Symphony jazzy remix at the end though? David Wise <3

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
The Diddy-Dixie combo now seems all but guaranteed.

This may impact K Rool's chances, but it does free up a slot in the roster, since Diddy and Dixie would be sharing one (where Dixie would be taking up her own slot were she to be standalone).

My hope is that K Rool can squeeze into that extra roster space. And at this point, they might as well get all the essential DK characters in one fell swoop.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Alas, I always figured the ending of the DKC Returns trilogy would be K. Rool's inevitable invasion. Everything gradually is pointing more and more towards it each game. Honestly, they could have some seriously crazy plans for him in store if they ever make a 6th Donkey Kong Country title. Like seriously, over the top.

Like unite the Tiki and Walrus armies with the new and improved Kremling army to form the ultimate baddies.

Hopefully Smash For the Wii U and 3DS is where his reign BEGINS!!!! :evil:

Alas, it could be K. Rool, but Dixie, Dixie/Diddy (DON'T HAPPEN! PLEASE DON'T HAPPEN!), Cranky, Lip (love and Lip make sense), Little Mac (nothing says "love" like boxing), Shulk (X hype), and even Palutena could happen, as well as obviously Diddy solo.

BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NOT DIDDY/DIXIE!!! Those two would be better off alone. Heck, if we got a tag team concept, do Kiddie/Dixie!!! LEAVE DIDDY ALONE!!!!

AND LET US ALL HAIL K. ROOL!!!! MY BROTHER, MY SCIENTIST, MY KAPTAIN, MY KING!!!!

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Okay, just watched the final boss battle of TF. That was less exciting than I imagined, it's basically just K. Rool and Shake King combined with a little Koala Kong too, which is a shame seeing that the other bosses I've seen from the game are really creative and unique. He also looks a lot less cool without the shadow falling on him, he just looks like a big version of the ordinary walrus enemies.

I wasn't expecting K. Rool, but I was at least expecting a good final boss battle.

Top Bottom