• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
My only problem with Returns was it's controls. I absolutely hate gimmicky controls.

i liked returns,it was a good installment to the series.

personaly my dk list in order of my favorite. dkc2,dkc1,dkc tropical freeze,dk 64,dk land,dkc 3,dkc returns. they are all so good that its hard to put them in order without punching yourself in the face.

StormC

Smash Hero
Tropical Freeze is probably the "best" game in the series, but 2 and 3 have a cohesion to them that hasn't really been matched by future installments, for my money.

DKCR was all-around solid and strong, even if sort of sparse at times. DKC1 was a graphics breakthrough and has an incredible atmosphere but as a platformer it's simply above-average. DK64 is a mediocre Banjo knock-off and the Lands are buggy and clumsy in many ways, although 1's uniqueness is charming and 3 has a good mix of old and new. 2 was just a strange pseudo-demake.

EDIT: And Jungle Beat is a good game but a bad Donkey Kong game.

Last edited:

Hebrew Hammer

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2251-5154-5209
On the smash subreddit right now there is a thread where you can write what the Kid Icarus codex conversations about your most wanted DLC fighter should be. You might of already heard of it but here was my post about King K Rool.

Pit: Where does a crocodile get all those gadgets anyway?

Paultena: That's King K Rool Pit. He is the leader of the Kremling Krew. He is made it his life goal to cause all sorts of trouble for the Kongs

Pit: That still doesn't explain all the gadgets he has.

Palutena: Well Pit, where Donkey Kong relies on his physical strength in combat, King K Rool uses a wide range of weapons like his blunderbuss to shoot from a distance and his helicopter pack to gain massive heights even for someone of his size.

Pit: Ok, I think I understand but if he is a King why does he dress up as things like Pirates, Mad Scientists and Boxers?

Palutena: ... There are just some things that even I can't explain Pit.

Pit: Wait what?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Most people will talk about how Tropical Freeze is better than Returns in every way, but that's not so much to Returns' detriment as it is to Tropical Freeze's credit. I played through Returns about a month ago and it's certainly a solid experience in its own right. Tikis are still dull as dishwater, but the levels themselves are livelier than I remembered, even though they do sometimes take a gameplay gimmick and apply it to the environment, rather Tropical Freeze's approach of the opposite.

With the music in particular, Kenji Yamamoto is no David Wise, but he's still okay. His remixes are pretty great and a number of original tracks are. . .okay. The Rocket Barrel music stands out as particularly good to me, along with a few others (Tidal Terror, Weighty Way, Furious Fire). Others just don't strike that chord (heh) because. . .it's difficult to explain, but they're just not tunes you can hum along, ones that stick with you, and they come across as generic tropical music in places.

My two cents.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Most people will talk about how Tropical Freeze is better than Returns in every way, but that's not so much to Returns' detriment as it is to Tropical Freeze's credit. I played through Returns about a month ago and it's certainly a solid experience in its own right. Tikis are still dull as dishwater, but the levels themselves are livelier than I remembered, even though they do sometimes take a gameplay gimmick and apply it to the environment, rather Tropical Freeze's approach of the opposite.

With the music in particular, Kenji Yamamoto is no David Wise, but he's still okay. His remixes are pretty great and a number of original tracks are. . .okay. The Rocket Barrel music stands out as particularly good to me, along with a few others (Tidal Terror, Weighty Way, Furious Fire). Others just don't strike that chord (heh) because. . .it's difficult to explain, but they're just not tunes you can hum along, ones that stick with you, and they come across as generic tropical music in places.

My two cents.
I honestly wouldn't mind if the Snomads come back. But only because in the past even with the Kremlings, there were always a variety of other animal enemies alongside the Kremlings. As long as the Kremlings come back, I'd be perfectly content with Snomad enemies coming back as well.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I honestly wouldn't mind if the Snomads come back. But only because in the past even with the Kremlings, there were always a variety of other animal enemies alongside the Kremlings. As long as the Kremlings come back, I'd be perfectly content with Snomad enemies coming back as well.
If I had to guess, Snowmads will show up in a cameo role in a level or two next game, kind of like the Screaming Tiki Pillars were in Bright Savannah's Scorch 'N Torch this time around.

StormC

Smash Hero
I haven't read all 400+ pages of this thread by any means, so this may have come up before but:

How would the announcer pronounce his name? I've always read it as "Kay Rool," myself (and I agree with the sentiment that it should just be "K. Rool," not "King K. Rool").

not to change the subject but...
im starting to think that the real reason that the kremlings were on dk island was to steal all the oil(fear factory) and use it for their technology,like the airship from dkc 2,and maybe even for the new crocodile isle in dk 64.

i imagine that they came from the swamps of bayou boogie,but they got very advanced very fast,and created all of this new technology,while at the same time polluting their own home(bayou boogie is filled with toxic stuff,oil barrels,and even wrecked ships) speaking of the wrecked ships,maybe they were from a war a long time ago and thats where the mystery of mr.x comes from,or possibly the ghost that haunts the library from dkc2.

they drained their island of all the oil and went in search of a new island,i would imagine that crocodile island was a beutifull place once,but all the fighting polluting made their island a nasty place. in a way it reminds me of real life,and our own history.

i wonder what the story is behind crocodile isle and how the kremlings came to be who they are today.

D

Deleted member

I haven't read all 400+ pages of this thread by any means, so this may have come up before but:

How would the announcer pronounce his name? I've always read it as "Kay Rool," myself (and I agree with the sentiment that it should just be "K. Rool," not "King K. Rool").
If the announcer was smart, he'd say as "Kuh Rool". :troll:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
On the smash subreddit right now there is a thread where you can write what the Kid Icarus codex conversations about your most wanted DLC fighter should be. You might of already heard of it but here was my post about King K Rool.
Ooh, this looks fun. I'll take a whack at it.

Pit: Lady Palutena! This crocodile has more projectiles than I do! Where does he keep all of those gadgets? Why on earth does a crocodile have weapons in the first place? Who is this guy?!

Viridi: Hmph! Such a vile creature, polluting the earth with his machines.

Pit: Err, Viridi? Alright, could you give me some tips? Hey! Watch where you're firing those, you fat crock!

Viridi: What did you call me?!

Pit: Not you! Ahg! *hack cough* poison gas too?! Just help me out here!

Viridi: Well then. That's "King" K. Rool, the leader of the Kremlings. He's performed many horrid deeds against nature, with his oil drilling, mining operations, heavy pollution, stealing banana hordes from poor innocent monkeys, general property damage...

Pit: Monkeys? Oh, this is the guy that always caused trouble for DK! I hadn't seen him in so long, I forgot who he was!

Viridi: You'd forget your own head if it weren't attached to your shoulders.

Pit: I'm about to lose it, if this guy has any say in it...

[collapse=Bonus Snake Codec]
Snake: Woah, this alligator came prepared, he's got as many weapons as I do...

Otacon: Snake! That's King K. Rool, leader of the Kremling crew and arch nemesis of Donkey Kong. Many times has he tried to eradicate the entire Kong family, from trying to starve them by stealing their food supply, to completely destroying their island.

Snake: Sounds like... Gorilla warfare.

Otacon: Uhhg, Snake... Just be careful, though he may be big and heavy, he's deceptively quick. This guy is no joke, though he's got the brains to create and use technology, he's equally insane! He'll try any underhanded tactic to win, he'll even play dead to catch you off guard, so watch out!

Snake: Dirty tricks huh... We'll see which reptile comes out on top.
[/collapse]

LawofDeath

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LawofDe4th
3DS FC
3480-3867-8012
Tropical Freeze is probably the "best" game in the series, but 2 and 3 have a cohesion to them that hasn't really been matched by future installments, for my money.

DKCR was all-around solid and strong, even if sort of sparse at times. DKC1 was a graphics breakthrough and has an incredible atmosphere but as a platformer it's simply above-average. DK64 is a mediocre Banjo knock-off and the Lands are buggy and clumsy in many ways, although 1's uniqueness is charming and 3 has a good mix of old and new. 2 was just a strange pseudo-demake.

EDIT: And Jungle Beat is a good game but a bad Donkey Kong game.
Uhhh, were you playin on an emulator or something?

not to change the subject but...
im starting to think that the real reason that the kremlings were on dk island was to steal all the oil(fear factory) and use it for their technology,like the airship from dkc 2,and maybe even for the new crocodile isle in dk 64.

i imagine that they came from the swamps of bayou boogie,but they got very advanced very fast,and created all of this new technology,while at the same time polluting their own home(bayou boogie is filled with toxic stuff,oil barrels,and even wrecked ships) speaking of the wrecked ships,maybe they were from a war a long time ago and thats where the mystery of mr.x comes from,or possibly the ghost that haunts the library from dkc2.

they drained their island of all the oil and went in search of a new island,i would imagine that crocodile island was a beutifull place once,but all the fighting polluting made their island a nasty place. in a way it reminds me of real life,and our own history.

i wonder what the story is behind crocodile isle and how the kremlings came to be who they are today.
Heh, very interesting analogy. :p

StormC

Smash Hero
Uhhh, were you playin on an emulator or something?
No. Donkey Kong 64 is a mess of a game with too much going on for its own good, and the Lands have poor collision detection, jumping physics, and scrolling issues (dying from falling too far), along with graphics that make it difficult to tell what's going on, although these elements all improved as the games went on.

I haven't heard about monster, what's the deal there?
Monster Games developed the 3DS remake of DKCR and assisted Tropical Freeze's development.

Last edited:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
All that said, Retro Studios and Monster Games both having worked on Donkey Kong leaves me hopeful that the series isn't going to be bounced around from developer to developer like it did in the 00s, cranking out a bunch of niche games and nothing else.

THAT'S PART OF WHY WE NEED K. ROOL IN THIS GAME. It will only help ensure the franchise's legacy for a new generation.
Would be even better if they just made a new DKC with King K.Rool in it. Just come up with a background where he sent the Tiki's and the Snowmads after DK and his crew, but came back to do his own dirty work because they failed. Like, anything to have him and the Kremlins come back. I know Retro is trying to take their own approach with the series in terms of enemies, but they need to see that the Kremlins are standard for the DK series. Just imagine how the Mario series would be if it didn't have Bowser and his minions. That would just suck.

StormC

Smash Hero
Well, that's what I mean by K. Rool being in Smash. It would cement the Kremlings as being an indispensable part of Donkey Kong lore. Retro themselves said they based DK and Diddy off their appearances in Brawl for DKCR.

I don't really care for a retcon of the Tikis and Snowmads being part of K. Rool's orchestration. Just let the Kremlings return naturally and accept the Retro Studios enemies as part of the growing Donkey Kong world's cast.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
The Rocket Barrel music stands out as particularly good to me, along with a few others (Tidal Terror, Weighty Way, Furious Fire).
I dislike the Rocket Barrel theme and I was annoyed that it got into the 3DS Smash, with the limited representation DK has there. It's basically a Mario theme in a DK game, and there's a reason why Mario's music doesn't have the same acclaim as DK's.

Last edited:

Kroconut

Smash Cadet
Well, the DKCR reveal in 2010 brought upon a renaissance for the DK fans as we know. And really brought back all the people that lost faith for the franchise future, it was a time of rebirth for the series and the fandom.

Then there was Tropical Freeze's reveal in 2013, which we were all delighted by of course. But the real fan freakout didn't occur until it was revealed that David Wise was brought back for the music.

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
Maybe they can also use Tiki Tong instead. I mean, the whole big-head-with-two-floating-hands-idea is kinda Nintendo's thing. A psychopathic alligator king who has a multiple personality disorder and an infected eye is more Rareware's thing.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Realized K. Rool's thread is the number 1 biggest after the deletion of Ridley's and Mewtwo's confirmation. Though that's not surprising, just stating the obvious.

Last edited:

Chase

Smash Ace
Maybe they can also use Tiki Tong instead. I mean, the whole big-head-with-two-floating-hands-idea is kinda Nintendo's thing. A psychopathic alligator king who has a multiple personality disorder and an infected eye is more Rareware's thing.
Once again, Tiki Tong would be cool, but isn't as important as K. Rool.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
My favorite DK games in order: DKC2>DKCTF>DKC>DKCR>DK64>DKJB>DKC3>DKArcade (including Jr. and 3). I didn't include Diddy Kong Racing because it is a spin off and is not a platformer. And the others (paon, Donkey Konga, etc.) because I didn't play them.

On the subject of Retro and Monster, I doubt Retro will stop making DK games just because whiny fans said so. DKCR was a big hit, and while DKCTF seemingly flopped, the blame should be put on the Wii U's horrific sales than the game itself. I don't doubt Monster games will also be making DK games in the future, however. They are a capable studio to manage the series, and I wouldn't have a problem with that.

I believe Retro's next game will either be another Metroid, a 3D DK game, or perhaps a new/old IP. Crosses fingers for 3D DK!

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Tropical Freeze didn't flop, per se; for a Wii U game it sold solid numbers.

Realized K. Rool's thread is the number 1 biggest after the deletion of Ridley's and Mewtwo's confirmation. Though that's not surprising, just stating the obvious.
He also has the most votes of any newcomer in this DLC poll as of this post.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
I just thought, what if King K. Rool had generic reptilian sound effects for his voice? It seems Sakurai insists that Bowser, Donkey Kong and Diddy maintain their realistic animal voices in the series, despite those characters having their own cartoon voices in their own games. I wonder if he'd treat K. Rool the same way. I hope not.

StormC

Smash Hero
I just thought, what if King K. Rool had generic reptilian sound effects for his voice? It seems Sakurai insists that Bowser, Donkey Kong and Diddy maintain their realistic animal voices in the series, despite those characters having their own cartoon voices in their own games. I wonder if he'd treat K. Rool the same way. I hope not.
I actually would like K. Rool to sound monstrous and snarl like a real crocodile. I'm not really sure what the alternative is (hiring someone and giving him spoken dialogue?), but I tend to think when it comes to characters without voice acting in their own games, it's generally better that they don't speak in Smash.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I think K. Rool should have his kremling "honk" sound from the DKC series, definitely. But I wouldn't mind realistic animal sounds. In fact, I think that sounds pretty fitting! As long as he has some "foppish" mannerisms mixed in, it would be great.

I think K. Rool should have his kremling "honk" sound from the DKC series, definitely. But I wouldn't mind realistic animal sounds. In fact, I think that sounds pretty fitting! As long as he has some "foppish" mannerisms mixed in, it would be great.
yeah i like the "honk" sound too,the from dkc 1 when you jump on him,too me it sounds like a deep "ugh" noise,almost sounds like a burp. the normal kritters make that sound too,just higher pitched.

also i dont think "realistic" is the way to go.... i mean imagine these sounds when k rool attacks,although the hissing sound at about 28 dont sound too bad. but still it wont work like it did with dk and bowser

Last edited:

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Looks like Kuh' Rool is showing us, yet again, how to be top picks, yet this time he's our Number 1 so far.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Ooh, this looks fun. I'll take a whack at it.

Pit: Lady Palutena! This crocodile has more projectiles than I do! Where does he keep all of those gadgets? Why on earth does a crocodile have weapons in the first place? Who is this guy?!

Viridi: Hmph! Such a vile creature, polluting the earth with his machines.

Pit: Err, Viridi? Alright, could you give me some tips? Hey! Watch where you're firing those, you fat crock!

Viridi: What did you call me?!

Pit: Not you! Ahg! *hack cough* poison gas too?! Just help me out here!

Viridi: Well then. That's "King" K. Rool, the leader of the Kremlings. He's performed many horrid deeds against nature, with his oil drilling, mining operations, heavy pollution, stealing banana hordes from poor innocent monkeys, general property damage...

Pit: Monkeys? Oh, this is the guy that always caused trouble for DK! I hadn't seen him in so long, I forgot who he was!

Viridi: You'd forget your own head if it weren't attached to your shoulders.

Pit: I'm about to lose it, if this guy has any say in it...

[collapse=Bonus Snake Codec]
Snake: Woah, this alligator came prepared, he's got as many weapons as I do...

Otacon: Snake! That's King K. Rool, leader of the Kremling crew and arch nemesis of Donkey Kong. Many times has he tried to eradicate the entire Kong family, from trying to starve them by stealing their food supply, to completely destroying their island.

Snake: Sounds like... Gorilla warfare.

Otacon: Uhhg, Snake... Just be careful, though he may be big and heavy, he's deceptively quick. This guy is no joke, though he's got the brains to create and use technology, he's equally insane! He'll try any underhanded tactic to win, he'll even play dead to catch you off guard, so watch out!

Snake: Dirty tricks huh... We'll see which reptile comes out on top.
[/collapse]
Sometime, I might make this script into an image with the characters' profiles next to each line (in English and Japanese), then tweet it out, tagging Sakurai somewhere in there. If he's apathetic about DK and delighted over Uprising, this should serve as adequate bait, yes?

Since my laptop lacks Photoshop, if anyone wants to get the job done ahead of me, go right ahead, of course.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
also i dont think "realistic" is the way to go.... i mean imagine these sounds when k rool attacks,although the hissing sound at about 28 dont sound too bad. but still it wont work like it did with dk and bowser
I don't know about you, but I think it would be amazing if K. Rool sounded like this.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Those low crocodilian rumbles WOULD fit with K. Rool's physique, as well as with the voice established in DK64.

Hey, this is a bit random, but has there ever been word that PAON's King K. Rool was based off the design from the cartoon? Everything from his lack of a tail to his voice to his shorter cape points to it being a possibility.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I wouldn't mind it too much if he had realistic crocodile sounds if they didn't take up the majority of his voice sound effects. Have him have a regular voice for the most part (like when attacking, getting hurt, K.O. screams and at victory screens) while maybe throw in a crocodilian grunt or growl or two for something in particular, like one of his taunts, perhaps?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can't wait to see how the DLC poll goes, but so far, the Kremling King is #1.

Top Bottom