• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K, so marth...

ADHD

Smash Hero
I lost barely to neo and then afterwards practiced over my friend pierce07's house with his marth for hours and I realized marth is seriously hard and there isn't much info on this matchup at all yet. So what I've collected up so far..

-Ftilt outranges marth's dtilt and is really good at getting past marth's zoning & spacing occasionally
-marth doesn't die until 140 AT LEAST with good DI
-the two kick the crap out of eachother when they have control respectively
-don't get grabbed at 0
-diddy sucks at marth's superior spacing
-marth gimps diddy alot more often then you would ever think
-it is nearly impossible for diddy to gimp a good marth with projectiles
-nearly impossible to get low percent kills on a good marth
-marth catches bananas ALOT even if you time them
-bair, usmash, and fair out of shield ***** marth if you time them perfectly
-marth has a hard time killing diddy without gimps
-diddy can punish marth's fair landing lag with a throw OOS
-tipper is a *****
-delfino is a great counterpick against marf

I need some more info, because I don't know what more to do. My originally theory was to camp marths, HARD, but it didn't work so I just tried to limit and ****. It came down even practically the entire time and each match was frustrating but fun. Very intense matchup and we need more info definitely. Le thien, hylian, anyone that plays marths often have any more tidbits to share?

DFEAR

Smash Hero
well fighting chaz and other marths down here i can say just dont get tipped and punish the ending of the wall of fairs. dnt attempt to stage spike marth either :\. try not to get punished by his upb :\ cause its annoying when you're attempting dash attack combos and he just upb's ur face. Projectiles force him to approach. and the rest is easily explained by you chrome :\ there isnt much to this match up. the best way a diddy can win is logical intuition and awesome mindgames :)

Sanzi

Smash Apprentice
I was actually playing a marth today and I was getting afraid to dash attack because almost everytime I would, the marth would just shield it to an up b. This comes out much faster than any follow up after the dash attack that i can think of including jab.

Also if a marth isn't letting you out of the water on Delfino, (during the beach part) instead of trying to forward b or just jump back on, Jump straight up and charge an up b. Aim it like you are going to try and shoot yourself back onto the sand and most Marths will back up and try to punish you. Have the up b get canceled when you hit the water and you should have enough time to return to the stage safely, and not have to worry about dodging his attacks.

12 Pack

Smash Apprentice
Chrome y doesn't camping work? All the Marths i've faced (Inui, Steel2nd, Eazy) camping has worked well against them. I just basically never approach unless they have already slipped in a banana. The only time I have a problem is once they get momentum and then I just try to gain space, pull out banana's, and slow down the match. I like playing marths at a really slow pace.

Chrome the reason you have trouble beating Marth is probably because your Diddy is garbage. I bet you wouldn't even be able to beat Random Ike Guy lol. JK ; )

Player-1

Smash Legend
Iunno what I do. The best Marth I've played is Bardul from the WC online, but I didn't find the matchup very hard at all. Usually a good way to punish Marth's when you're edgeguarding them is to predict the sweetspotted Up-b and pivot drop onto the ledge and then jump up from the ledge and fair. At high percents it usually knocks them back off the other side of the stage and you can sometimes do it again. I don't know why Delfino is a good CP against Marth, I've been counter picked to DP by 2 different Marth users twice =/.

Edit: Iunno why this happens either, but I've diddy humped Marth more than any other character =/

Sanzi

Smash Apprentice
lol i've played bardull before online. I just went snake and won rather than trying to play my diddy in bad lag.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Even though both Marth and Meta Knight have nearly identical tools at their disposal in the match-up against Diddy Kong (MK even arguably has slightly superior options in some avenues), camping against proficient, top-level Marths does not yield the same favorable outcomes that camping MK does. Roy_R is indisputably one of two of the best Brawl Marth's in the entire Milky Way, and I have to imagine that NEO is at least on par, if not better.

At this point in time, I would have to say that Marth might even be a slightly more difficult match-up than Meta Knight.

I'll post more about this in the morning. I get my *** beat at work tonight.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
The only thing I've found that works well against Marth is Diddys grab game. Try focusing your entire game to setting up grabs and see how that turns out. Past that I don't have much advice :/. Grabbing a lot may not even work, I just find it to take a lot of pressure off of you during the match.

Seppoku

Smash Cadet
i find that he is very easy to punish after his blade dance..their is also a lot of lag in between his downsmash

Marth is really good at ledge guarding, but when he gets hit off the stage, just ledge grab..

also, make sure you are getting your bananas ready for his second hop in the air... if he goes up for a fwd air, try throwing a banana up, or dribbling back until his second hop. These matches for me seem to go mostly one way or another.. it never is really close.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
One thing is for sure, don't try edgehogging him. If his b up hits you ur going to get gimped. You can't camp marth because hes fast, and you can't beat him with bananas because he can easily grab them.

My advice is to play smart, predict his moves and try not to be predictable yourself. If he ever has a banana sheild it and jump right away before he can follow with his b foward.

I lost to Neo to at COT4 so I really don't know what to do against Marth either.

ice_cream_man

Smash Journeyman
even though the f tilt has more range then marth's d tilt, marth has disjointed hit boxes and diddy doesn't. So if you f tilt and marth d tilts, you'll get hurt won't you?

ADHD

Smash Hero
even though the f tilt has more range then marth's d tilt, marth has disjointed hit boxes and diddy doesn't. So if you f tilt and marth d tilts, you'll get hurt won't you?
ftilt has great range, it will even hit marth if he is spacing aerials if you time it right.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Marth can glide toss really far if hes holding the banana. A smart Marth player that can play around with Diddy Kong can mess Diddy up so bad. Peanut guns dont do any good against Marths sword since the sword will chop right through the peanuts. Marths Fsmash is fast in the beginning but after when he makes the initiative to make the move, he gets punished hard. If im not mistaken I believe Marth is a fast faller so you can combo him really easily in the beginning if you space out your moves right that is.

TreK

Is "that guy"
i played marth against a friend's diddy, he got 2 stocked... By his bananas. Double dribbling with martha is TOOOOO cool lol
If the marth canhandle the bananas, basically you're screwed cus in other areas he's better than diddy...

mallycoop123

Smash Rookie
i played marth against a friend's diddy, he got 2 stocked... By his bananas. Double dribbling with martha is TOOOOO cool lol
If the marth canhandle the bananas, basically you're screwed cus in other areas he's better than diddy...
this is very true

Light_13

Smash Journeyman
So if this helps, the marth I play likes to use U-special as much as he can. So what I do is DA-SH like im about to arial then he UP-B's! Leaving him open for an actual arial. Switch back and forth to actual performing the arial and baiting it to keep him guessing. This is dangerous after the first time because it turns into a 50/50 chance it will work.

-I never straight up DA at him unless I have a bannana in hand or he slipped on one.

-Whatever you do dont get hit by that thing he holds in his right hand.

Flowbeat

Smash Cadet
I recently lost pretty bad to a marth in a tournament that f-air caught most of my banana throws then utilized marth's glide toss to keep me pressured and over the edge. Very frustrating for diddy, I'm thinking about maybe trying more z-drops in this match-up I think you have to play it more like vs someone with a reflector.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
marth is so freaking annoying to play. My crewmate (hrnut) mains marth and ive had to play this matchup alot. Ive also played Neo, Kex (california), and some other marths out in cali, and Ive noticed that:

-Diddy never really ***** marth. Either diddy wins a close fight or Marth pwns diddy's face in
-Ftilt is your saving grace in this match. Someone said it earlier, but i just want to reiterate how good it is when marth starts the fair approach. If timed right when marth jumps and before he fairs it always beats him
-Like hylian said, grabs are a wonder for the few times marth misspaces you with fairs.
-If he does anything laggy, run up to him and just shield. Alot of marths in this matchup like to bait an approach with a semi laggy attack (like fsmash) and immediately upB to catch you unexpectedly while youre running in to dash attack/grab
-Something hrnut taught me was that no matter if you do the kung fu kick or the hump, both are beaten by upB. whenever he saw me flip he instinctively upBs because it doesnt matter which i do cause its beaten by his upB. So dont get too readable with when you do them or you'll get punished every time.

I always feel that i have to do so much more work in this matchup, compared to other bad diddy matchups.

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
I overall hate this matchup. I lost horribly to Mikehaze and BardulL the last time i played them. Camping doesnt work not all that wel either. Timing the Fair can sometimes outpriotize Marths Fair and the dancing blade can be a *****. T_T.

From here on: its what GDX said

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I've only done team friendlies with Neo and we went mostly even.

At COT4 I had 3 Marth's in my pool (Steel2nd, Eazy, HMS), and I 2-3 stocked all of them (though Eazy did beat me our first game on BF, I then 2 stocked him on SV and BF). HMS I 3 stocked game 1 on BF and only took IIRC 93% the whole game (compared to almost 500% in damage output). He took me to Defino Plaza and did slightly better but it was still a solid 2 stocking.

I find this match up to be all about prediction. If they short hop toward you, then you need to judge if they are going to use a delays air attack (fair probably) or use the air attack immediately. Its all about timing your banana throw based on this prediction. I feel like this match up is similar to fighting Meta Knight, but Marth only has like 2/3rd's the tools of MK. That said, I think its in Marth's favor, but only slightly and like most Diddy match ups whoever is the smarter/better player should win.

Space against Marth like you would against D3/Falco.

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master
the worst thing you can do in this match is to hit marths shield as he has many options to punish, try to approach marth from above with bananas and also he's in a really bad position if you're underneath him so keep him above you like you'd do snake, marths options are really crappy from being above someone

white peachy

Smash Ace
Ok so I've played a bunch of friendlies with Neo's marth the last couple days and here's what I've found about the matchup...

-Never, ever, pick BF against Marth, and or hope it doesn't come up as a neutral. Like...wow. That's the equivalent of dropping the soap in the prison shower, not fun. I seem to do fairly well against marth on FD (obviously), Halberd, and Smashville. For some odd reason I did ok on Yoshi's although I doubt that's a reliable stage.

-Killing marth is a major problem for Didds. If he knows how to properly DI/cancel his momentum he's gonna live to like...160%, easily. Keep your kill moves as fresh as possible.

-Always look out for upB out of sheild when you forward glide toss.

-Unless I'm just ******** camping marth won't work, period. Fair walls ruins peanuts and also make approaching with flip kick/nanners very difficult.

-This is easily one of diddy's hardest matches, provided the Marth is actually good*. Agressive marths seem to be much tougher than the more defensive/campy style ones.

-Hope and pray you can get a gimp/spike under 100%. If you don't, you'll probably lose.

-Rolling can mess up marth's spacing a bit, but don't get too predictable with it (obviously).

-Be really conscious of how you recover, marth can gimp diddy something awful if you recover directly below the ledge at a reasonable height. He can also take chances edguarding with aerials off the stage that most characters cannot.

vicious1990

Smash Apprentice
diddy kong is pretty good against marth if you space well. i guess you could throw nanerz in the air or on the ground instead of throwing it at marth. plus you could annoy the crap outta him by camping and making him make bad decisions.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
diddy kong is pretty good against marth if you space well. i guess you could throw nanerz in the air or on the ground instead of throwing it at marth. plus you could annoy the crap outta him by camping and making him make bad decisions.
hmm i like how u want to help but

marths spacing > diddys (marth is spacing master)
throwing nanas in air < marths fair wall
marths bad spacing = bad decisions for that marth :\.

hard matchup

mindgames> all

Volts

Smash Cadet
Really the key is finding a mind game that works for that moment, but it is hard figuring out what will work on some one in that short amount of time.

One time I randomly started jumping before I threw my bananas. For the first two times this work in doing what I wanted to do, which was getting them past marth so I could push him into it while he was shielding. But eventually marth just started jumping at me and countering. So then when I went to do it again later I threw the banana down, marth countered and slipped on the peel when he landed giving me a good grab oppertunity.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Soo... I picked up Diddy to counter Luigi's tougher matchups, and Marth is definately one of them. I am getting a lot of mixed signals about the Marth matchup though... Should I try out Diddy against Marth or is it really that bad? I looked at the matchup thread and its 40:60 Marth's favor.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
Marth is so, so easy to gimp. Throw a banana at him and take his 2nd jump. Rest is timing. Sometimes it feels like gimping falco. I've never played an impressive marth in Brawl though. I've played Fullmetal's plenty, but he's a melee marth not a Brawl one.

BentoBox

Smash Master
No matter where I look, every new character I feel like picking up seemingly does badly against Marth... This is so upsetting~

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
For some reason i do good with fox against marth.

i just spam lasers (like teh spamerer from melee) and he approaches. Then we fight....and i usually win >_>

but i really hate playing against marth using diddy, it's so annoying.

Seppoku

Smash Cadet
You guys really have a lot of trouble with this matchup? I feel like it is definitely 60-40 Diddy's favor. I think a lot of it is just being patient. Wait for the 2nd jump and then punish on the landing... A lot of Marth's moves have significant downtime and very easy to read paths...

His recover is easy to gimp.. his blade dance is pretty much lining up for an upsmash, a side smash... anything... once he starts his side b, just shield and roll past him.. his Fwd Air, which is where most ppl have the trouble with... usually comes out and then he retreats into the air for his second approach.. this is where a short hop with a banana comes in handy..

The hardest part I was having with him was his dash attack to banana grab, but it has such a delay that once you learn the timing it is pretty easy. What seems to be your trouble?

Count

Smash Champion
You guys really have a lot of trouble with this matchup? I feel like it is definitely 60-40 Diddy's favor. I think a lot of it is just being patient. Wait for the 2nd jump and then punish on the landing... A lot of Marth's moves have significant downtime and very easy to read paths...

His recover is easy to gimp.. his blade dance is pretty much lining up for an upsmash, a side smash... anything... once he starts his side b, just shield and roll past him.. his Fwd Air, which is where most ppl have the trouble with... usually comes out and then he retreats into the air for his second approach.. this is where a short hop with a banana comes in handy..

The hardest part I was having with him was his dash attack to banana grab, but it has such a delay that once you learn the timing it is pretty easy. What seems to be your trouble?
WRONG! lol.

Marth catches banans so easily with fair. And fair isn't the biggest problem, nair is. Against a good marth getting back onto the stage is a hassle. A good marth is harder than everything but luigi, trust me on this. If you don't believe my somewhat scrub *** ask another good diddy. I think AZ fares well against them, but ask chrome, le thien, anyone.

GUYZ I NEED BACKUP.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Marth is all about chance most of the time on if your attack will go through or not. I really like fair's power in this matchup but it can be punished easily if you miss-time it :(

Seppoku

Smash Cadet
I suppose I should retract my previous statement about "Easy" to gimp recovery... what I usually do in this situation is pop a peanut and throw a banana at the same time... afterwhich I run out and attempt to side b back onto the ledge (if there is time) the pressure and panic of the combination usually baits his up b attack..

I dont use the Diddy hump on this one very often, and at times getting back onto the stage can be a pain... but in comparison to the ledge camping of rob and metaknight it doesn't bug me that much.. My roomate plays him against me just about every day (so maybe I just have him figured out?)

Top Bottom