• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KailleraNET, new chatting client on hold (current download available)

firo

Smash Ace
I'm currently putting this on hold as I am (slowly) working on something kaillera-related that takes precedence. If you would like to try this out in its current state you can download it from the link here. There are bugs so just be aware, however it is quite usable.

PLEASE check the readme in the folder if you intend to try this.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1se6j62n654lt9l/KailleraNET.zip

I probably won't be actively helping people or answering questions or taking suggestions for this right now. I'll probably update the source code to it's current state at some point. That being said, if you find it useful (I do, but I suspect most people won't since it is quite different from what people are used to), or you are interested in doing some C# coding for this (the code isn't too bad to work with) you can let me know.

[COLLAPSE="Rest of Stuff:"]

Dec 5th update: So I didn't have time to update this for Week 3, but here's what's working now:

-You can now join and chat in game (game opens in separate window)
-Full game and server chat logs separated by date
-Separate users window with all users and buddy list
-Ability to add buddies and PM users from the main server chat, games, and users list
-Ability to add multiple buddies or send PMs to more than one person at a time (thanks LULZ for the suggestion).
-Support for chat/PM messages longer than 127 characters - automatically split and sent in multiple messages (I may add a spam prevention mechanism which will wait to send your messages until you aren't blocked anymore)

I'm working on some of the week 4 features these next few days. This includes the ability to invite people to your game, to join games other users are in by right clicking them, and some more options/settings. I'm also going to add more popups from tray for more events (let me know your suggestions!). After this week is done I might have the first official release.

Week 2:
- Implement private messaging receiving and sending
- Create inbox which collects and saves messages
- Allow client to continue running as tray application and pop when user receives private message
- Dynamically display available games in server window

Week 2 update!

Some good stuff this week. Games now available for viewing, saved PMs, and best of all - system tray functionality! Check out the image below (you might want to view the full screen):

Picture

Right now it supports telling you if a buddy joins, leaves, getting a pm, and soon specific keywords typed that you choose (your username, for example). The color of the icon in the tray will change color when an event happens as well. It's not hard to add more events so let me know what you want to see. If you have the chat window minimized, clicking on the balloon or the icon puts the chat window on top again.

I'll release a download of this when I clean it up a little.

November 2nd update: I applied to work on this client for one of my classes, and it got accepted! This means that I'll also be working on this client for a grade. Definitely a good motivation. I'll be posting updates/downloads here and also on the github link.
We meet with our moderators every week, for 4 weeks, beginning next Thursday. Here is the time table.

Week 1:
- Implement window to gather and display information from master server list
- Create menu allowing users to select and save servers to connect to
Week 3:
-Allow users to join and talk in chat rooms
-Implement chat-logs and save them to files
-Create user list window that is separate from chat
-Enable hyperlinks and emoticons in chat

Week 4:
- Allow users to connect to multiple servers with one consolidated user/buddy list
- Implement functionality to invite users to a chat room
- Implement options/settings window to set and save user preferences

downloadable client is here (main server chat only at this point):
https://github.com/eisenbe7/KailleraNet/downloads/

NOTE: If you get an error on startup, that means you don't have the .NET Framework. Google it and get it from Microsoft. Please remember that this is an extremely early release - almost nothing is implemented yet and there are many bugs.

Original message:

Hope everyone's been having a good summer. I wanted to update people on some cool things going on.

The Chicago Galaxy server is getting a lot of users. I set up a test server in New York to deal with times the server is down or has lag issues (it's been good recently though). Unlike the Chicago server this one is an actual server, which means I have root access to the machine and can do some cool things with it. I'm using a VPS from Linode which I chose because of it's reputation of low latency. So far the server seems to be more stable than the one in Chicago but it has yet to experience a heavy load. If you would like to test it out, here's the ip:

66.175.211.87:27888

You can also find it on the master list as "Galaxy Backup." Try it out and let me know how it holds up. I would try to stay on the Chicago one in general though so that there's more users and games available in one spot.

I'm also working on a new kaillera client. It's written in C# and uses WPF, which basically means that it's easier to develop and add new features. Right now you can log on and chat in the main chat with it. There are some features that I've written that are useful, like colored usernames/text, fully resizable windows, automatic splitting and sending of long messages, ability to hide message types or certain users, and features that I have planned like buddy lists, pm inbox, chat logs, etc. I want to make it the type of client that you can leave running in the background and have some sort presence awareness rather than just joining an away game or afk chat. I plan on open sourcing it and setting up a github within a few days.

I know that other coders view the boards, and if there are others willing to help this project can turn into something really worthwhile. I'm going to release something in a couple of months regardless, but if I had help some stuff could be implemented that I may not get around to for a while (like playing games). You can send me a pm or post here if you are interested.

People have also been asking about donations. This new server more than doubles the cost and I'll probably have to choose just one or the other at some point. Buf if anyone is interested in donating, you can send me a pm here or on galaxy. I have a paypal address of firo35@gmail.com for anyone who wants to contribute.
[/COLLAPSE]

M!nt

Smash Champion
Firo you're amazing =D

If you have a Paypal I'll donate a few bucks, I wish i was farther along in my major to help you out =C

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Sounds awesome man! Despite working for a software development company... I cannot code sorry lol. I will hit you up about a donation.

firo

Smash Ace
Just wanted to update this thread with information about this client.

The github for the project is located here:

https://github.com/eisenbe7/KailleraNet

If you know what a github is then you probably don't need help in figuring out how to contribute to the code. If you don't and still want to help, send me a pm.

If you want to try out the client in its early stages (main server chat only) then you can download the test client here: https://github.com/eisenbe7/KailleraNet/downloads

Any and all comments/requests are welcome, but remember that this is very much a work in progress.

serge

Banned via Warnings
How do we try the client out? Do I have to put the WpfApplication1.exe in my pj64k folder.

MATTS!

Smash Ace
FIRO = CHAMP

I can't wait till this starts going together. Let us know brother. 5,000 wins for FIRO.

The Great MATTS!

TANK64

Smash Lord
Wow, hype for this.

I should be active online again in November. Until then it'll be random lonely late nights, but will def install this asap.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Love that this is getting work done on it.

Hate to ask of stuff since anything is great but is there anyway you could implant some sort of log-in feature?

serge

Banned via Warnings
ill donate, i think u need a better host tho, since the server goes down frequently

firo

Smash Ace
Love that this is getting work done on it.

Hate to ask of stuff since anything is great but is there anyway you could implant some sort of log-in feature?
A log-in feature would be possible at some point, but I think it's something that requires a good amount of thought before implementing. A lot of users like logging on with multiple names, having multiple identities, or choosing a random name each log in. If each person is linked to an account, I think the online community would seem a lot smaller.

Also, I don't feel safe dealing with people's passwords - I don't know enough about security to feel confident that I'd keep people's information secure, so identification would have to be done using some third party, like Facebook or something. Otherwise, it would have to be super clear that I or anyone else is not responsible if your password gets out. Plus, this would also mean more server space taken up with this info, which isn't free.

Something like this isn't in my mind for the foreseeable future, unless some other people can help with the project.

dandan

Smash Lord
if you need help with implementing a secure system for holding password and the such in the future, contact me.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I don't think it's that difficult to store passwords securely (salt+hash - is there anything else to it?) but I don't think implementing logins and passwords is a big value add to the kailera community

dandan

Smash Lord
I don't think it's that difficult to store passwords securely (salt+hash - is there anything else to it?) but I don't think implementing logins and passwords is a big value add to the kailera community
pretty much the gist of it, but i really like cryptography and you can use way over the top measures that are really fun mathematically :)

hi ballin btw, have not talked with you in a long time, finished your uni yet?

firo

Smash Ace
Sure, salt + hash would take care of it, but security is always a game of cat and mouse. I don't want to be in a situation where I am required to stay on top of things and update stuff to protect information. It probably wouldn't be a big deal though.

I'm almost done with the requirements for this week. The client has saved server and username lists, and also can display information from the master list to connect/save. Only thing left to do is some boring unit tests...

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
Hello Firo :3
I don't want to ask for too much seeing that you already put together a syllabus of things you want done , and I'm as well grateful that your working on the client, but I was wondering if you can take into consideration and one day edit the playback function where it shows the names of the players you played during that Kaillera match. It'll be a nice addon and less hassle trying to remember player names.

~Much Appreciation :]

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Should write some unit tests!

(that's probably just the voice of my boss creeping into my brain)

but really though it's kinda annoying to do but is actually helpful

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
firo, being even more of a standard beast.

good ****ing ****, can't wait for the finished product!

i'll donate after jaime gets his apex ticket(lol)

B Link

Smash Lord
Updated the front page with the progress for this week.

Also added an image: Picture
Could you make that popup window for in-game chat too? I like browsing the internet (with a maximized window) when waiting for someone to join my game, so it would be really useful to me.

firo

Smash Ace
Could you make that popup window for in-game chat too? I like browsing the internet (with a maximized window) when waiting for someone to join my game, so it would be really useful to me.
Yes, that'll be on the agenda for week 3 (which is really two Thursdays from now).

The client is chatting on server/in game only for now, so this probably won't be too useful for finding opponents.

firo

Smash Ace
So I didn't have time to update this for Week 3, but here's what's working now:

-You can now join and chat in game (game opens in separate window)
-Separate users window with all users and buddy list
-Ability to add buddies and PM users from the main server chat, games, and users list
-Ability to add multiple buddies or send PMs to more than one person at a time (thanks LULZ for the suggestion).

I'm working on some of the week 4 features these next few days. This includes the ability to invite people to your game, to join games other users are in by right clicking them, and some more options/settings. I'm also going to add more popups from tray for more events(let me know your suggestions!).

B Link

Smash Lord
Can you release the latest version anyway? I'm kinda curious as to what this buddy list is. Is it a list where, if you add someone, you can see what server they're on and if they're online or not? Or is it just a list lol, and like you said, you can just get notified when they enter or leave your room. It doesn't seem to have much practical use to me, if it's the latter, unless I'm missing something.

Also, by PM do you mean the inbox thing? Or just regular pms like in your week 2 picture?

firo said:
send PMs to more than one person at a time (thanks LULZ for the suggestion).
You mean send 1 pm to 2+ people? Or do you just mean you have multiple windows, like msn, so you can pm whoever you want when you feel like it.

firo said:
The client is chatting on server/in game only for now, so this probably won't be too useful for finding opponents.
That's ok. I just want to know if someone joins my room without kaillera taking up the side of my screen lol.

firo said:
I'm also going to add more popups from tray for more events(let me know your suggestions!).
This might be obvious but: if a buddy loads a game, a popup to notify you about this would be sick. Also, a popup if a buddy leaves the server maybe.

And there should be a setting to turn these off and on, I guess, because some people might not like all of them? Lol

firo said:
I don't understand this -- is this some sort of saved chat log feature, and they're separated by date in text file(s), that you can only view in your files? Or can you view these in client?

firo

Smash Ace
The buddies list is a special list of users that have their own section in the users list. You will soon be able to set notifications to know when buddies join, leave, make games, or join your game. Unfortunately the server does not send out messages to everyone when a user joins a game, so the only way to know what game someone is in is to use the /finduser command.

Here's a picture of what it looks like with all windows in front:
picture

Note that the list of users on the side of the chat windows are resizable and you can get rid of it on the main server chat and just use the users window.

It's also easy to support other user groups, like an ignore list, or just any label in general that you would be able to set different notification settings for. I plan to make each group collapsible in the list.

Right now the PM just means a regular private message. You can right click any user in any chat (game or server) or the users list to PM then or add them to the buddy list. If you right click multiple users, you can send the same message to multiple users or you can add all of those users to your buddy list.

The chat logs right now are just text files, a new file for game chat and server chat for each date. I could make a viewer in the client, but I figure that there are plenty of better ways to view text files if you want. But if there's something the client can add that's not already available, let me know.

I will release a version late tonight/early tomorrow.

C.SDK

Smash Ace
I think you slightly touch on this but can you make it so that someone you ignore stays ignored even if you leave the server? Also maybe remove the announcement whether you've ignored someone or not?

:phone:

firo

Smash Ace
I think you slightly touch on this but can you make it so that someone you ignore stays ignored even if you leave the server? Also maybe remove the announcement whether you've ignored someone or not?
I plan to make the ignoring something on the client side. As in, you'll still get all the messages but the client will check to see who sent it and if it's from someone you ignore it just won't show up in the chat. That way nothing gets sent to the server about it. Once I have the ignore list set up it'll be able to save the users you want to ignore.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I plan to make the ignoring something on the client side. As in, you'll still get all the messages but the client will check to see who sent it and if it's from someone you ignore it just won't show up in the chat. That way nothing gets sent to the server about it. Once I have the ignore list set up it'll be able to save the users you want to ignore.

If you are coming back to apex, someone should pay you for this, amazing work so far

Top Bottom