• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City Area Brawl Thread

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
We're starting at 1pm, but I can be pretty lacks with time constraints

DeLux

Whenever we finish? I'm expecting like 10 to 12 people, so it could be done by early evening

Perfect Duck

Smash Journeyman
Confirmation: Smash at my house tonight (monday) 5:30-11:00.

I've noticed you guys have started consuming pop faster than before and I attribute this to the practice of 'taking one for the road'. Not sure if I approve of this.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
well according to the gif, it ends with yes so apparently you subconsiously approve? better see all my favorite *****es tonight. also advance warning halloween night is monday night football at arrowhead, dont expect me to show up at smash LOL

Smash Lord
What were you doing in Wichita...? I saw you made a post late last night in the thread...
http://www.ksmea.org/cmenc/kcomtep_2011.php

This. I was kind of hoping to get in casuals or maybe see that guy who made made a thread asking about melee players in Wichita.

Apparently he's too lazy/uninterested to check his own thread since he never tried to contact me. Somehow he managed to miss your thread too.

DeLux

Reported for Trolling

Realizes I'm the Mod

Mad at Conflict of Interest

:\

Rockstar

Smash Ace
If theres something going on, tournament/smashfest this Friday, i'm free alllllllll day. if anyone else can host that be awesome. im guaranteed 100%

DeLux

I can't think of there being a Friday tournament ever :\

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
double post of great justice: chili cook off it tomorrow at old town lenexa. me, my dad, and a friend have done this for about seven years running now, yall should stop by and have some chili :D

Perfect Duck

Smash Journeyman
CONFIRMATION: Smash at my house monday night 5:30-11:00.

Someone left their k-state jacket over here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

DeLux

Did you guys want me to start plugging lenexa meetups on facebook.com/kcbrawl?

We're almost at 30 people so we're starting to develop a following :)

Smash Lord
I don't see any reason not to, so I think that the answer is yes by default.

Hey Danny, you said that you were quitting after apex. That just means that you won't take the game seriously anymore/won't go to tournaments right? I don't want you to quit altogether.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
as of right now im not quitting. if i was i would still plan on going to smashfests and hanging out, just want to clear that up. also lets not defualt to yes without blakes permission, it is his house

Perfect Duck

Smash Journeyman
Did you guys want me to start plugging lenexa meetups on facebook.com/kcbrawl?

We're almost at 30 people so we're starting to develop a following :)
No easier way to let a thief into your home than to say you're having a social event on facebook. I want accountability so if you're going to do that make it absolutely clear that I want would-be guests to inform ahead of time and not just show up.

DeLux

Are you on facebook blake?

Maybe I won't plug it, but you ought to think about doing it and putting whatever you're comfortable with

Perfect Duck

Smash Journeyman
Use whatever means necessary to get people here in this thread if they want to come smash at my house. I really do prefer heads-up from newcomers. Not as necessary for semi-regulars and up, or friends of semi-regulars and up.

DeLux

Works for me

We've definitely gotten a few interested for sure :)

Smash Lord
I think that Blake has a legitimate concern for this. Thieves aren't the only problem either. I would worry about inviting a violent, ill-tempered, etc. kind of person into the group. I care about my personal well being and how well our community gets along. I've seen this happen in other places and it's not pretty. It's how theft occurs in trading card games.

People who take the time and effort to make an account and post here shows a number of good things. First, it gives them a name and a face with the community, creating a larger degree of accountability than facebook. Second, it weeds out a number of people who aren't serious. Third, it ensures that the people who are interested in coming, know about smashboards as a resource and accelerates their knowledge of the game.

DeLux

I agree with the first paragraph, which is why I asked Blake what he wanted me to do as well as deferred to what he wanted to do.

However, I think that the second paragraph is an overwhelmingly poor simplification of how we should expand our scene.

Case in point:

At the last tournament, we had two "regulars" from smashboards show up (MJG and myself). We had 12 non-regulars, most via facebook and fliers. Of the 12, 5 of them have posted on Smashboards in the past but do not post in the KC thread at all. Of the 12, I've since played with 5 of those people (two of them were non smashboards people), plus have plans to play with two more next weekend.

Our expansion is going to rely on generating their interest first before we just throw them at smashboards. Which is why I agreed with Danny when he said to have them come to one of my things first and then point them blake's way.

Getting people to join a site first to see if they are even interested in playing Brawl competitively is a poor initial test. A superior one is seeing if they have interest in playing in a semi-competitive environment since it relates better to a fully competitive environment than a website forum.

I'll put it this way, Smashboards has been floating around since I've joined and we've had little to no expansion of our scene. It hasn't been until Collin and I doing non-smashboards related stuff in recent times that we've seen additions and expansion.

Smash Lord
I think I can understand that. It is a poor simplification, but it's a number of things that I wanted to point out. In the beautiful hypothetical world, smashboards would be the only recruiting resource. But it isn't enough. If you keep repeating the same procedure in the exact same way, you will get the same results.

I'd also like to point something else out. Retention and development is just as important as recruitment. Before I got into this community, I used to run something in Leavenworth of about the same size (4-10 people), but it died off because of the two issues that I mentioned. I managed to get a few of them to come out to play you guys once or twice, and then they just gave up. A number of them just decided to be NEETs too. And that really didn't help either.

Top Bottom