• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City/Lawrence Discussion Topic

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Dark Blue Yoshi is coming. He's riding up with me

I have a laptop I could bring...

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I don't know enough about melee to be able to tell if he's good or not LOL

Sad

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Guys I got Little Rock AK coming to my tournament on the 19th in Springfield MO. Now I just need you guys, STL, and I'm also working on Oklahoma City (cos-mos). You guys wanna get it on this?

resTy

Smash Champion
Arc, I'm disappoint in you. And Kels too lol.

Good shit to Dmac though. I didn't get any updates on you over the livestream but then I saw that you got 9th on the results xD Good run, dude.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yeah what the ****?
EDIT: oh. you could have phrased it differently for those not in the know about this, Jon. LOL

darkatma

Smash Hero
that was vectorman's yoshi lol
it wasn't even dark blue, and honda even said on one of the vids that it was vectorman loll

trololololll

dmac i can't get the full length stickywalk boost grab..

AustinRC

Smash Lord
You did not **** me trail! ;D I did pretty well vs you actually if I do say so myself... Better than I thought I would lololol.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Did you guys hype E52:BTEH for the meleers while there? :) :) :)

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
So I've been giving this a lot of thought and...I'm going to retire from Smash for a while.

Or at least until Event 52, when school is pretty much done. But right now I just don't have enough time to split between doing art projects and practicing Smash/attending tourneys. I always seem to put myself in a bad position when I try to play regularly during the school year. It's not one of those things where I can get stuff done/out of the way before playing either, since projects take a hell of a lot of time to do well, and being fully and constantly immersed in them is required to really improve. So I basically have to cut Smash out of my life for the time being, and this week's Massive Smash will be my last for a long while.

I hate to go on hiatus again since it's definitely not helping me become a better player, but unlike Smash I actually have some potential in art, and I really need to take it super super seriously now that graduation isn't far away at all.

So just pretend I don't exist for the next two months

It'll be easy anyway!

:(

Massive

Smash Champion
Honda dude, I only play about once a week (at massivesmash, lol) and I've still been steadily getting better.

Smash doesn't have to take a huge chunk of your life, it can be a relaxing activity you do with friends without the Sword of Damocles of competition hanging over your head. The only thing that atrophies from lack of daily practice is the minutia of your tech skill; it is a common thing for one to subconsciously reinforce bad habits by practicing TOO MUCH. Sometimes you need to play less frequently to get a different perspective on things and get over your hurdles.

Therefore, I call upon you to destroy your inner Jace, just chill, and smash for fun.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
@dmac: I would if I had a TV...

@Ziv
: I actually made 4 accounts in Dec 2001, but chose to continue using this one (back then it was named Metal Ness) somewhat randomly. I didn't even remember the other 3 until recently, and I did some detective work to find out their names: DarkNess, ZeldaLover14, and Dark Blue Yoshi. I'm pretty sure their original purposes back then were to increase replies for my fan fictions LOL

@Massive
: The problem isn't the stress of competition or anything, but rather the surprising chunk of time that playing Smash takes away from my week. Going to Massive Smash tends to take up my entire weekend—I can't get work done on Saturday morning because the looming trip to KC makes it hard to concentrate, nor am I usually able to be productive on Sunday due to lack of sleep/hangover/being exhausted. And when I do get stuff done, it could always be better had I spent more time on it. I think the biggest issue is actually going back and forth between the two mindsets, which kills any momentum that I may have. And I'm a very momentum-based worker

And believe me, I've tried doing both in the past, having a "work hard-play hard" mentality...but in the end I just don't have that kind of self discipline. I've never been able to start and stop work on a dime like other art students, and my motivation takes a lot more time to start rolling than most people's, since I'm so picky about my working conditions

Massive

Smash Champion
I highly doubt any art student can start and stop work very quickly.
If there is no inspiration, there is no quality.

That's what's true for me anyway, it's also why I went into computer science instead of graphic design or Animation.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
@dmac:@Ziv : I actually made 4 accounts in Dec 2001, but chose to continue using this one (back then it was named Metal Ness) somewhat randomly. I didn't even remember the other 3 until recently, and I did some detective work to find out their names: DarkNess, ZeldaLover14, and Dark Blue Yoshi. I'm pretty sure their original purposes back then were to increase replies for my fan fictions LOL
Lol, sounds to me like an elaborate 10 year scheme! Nice job on that one. Much better than Socals attempt at creating the Mario monster from nowhere, aka Scorpian Master. I knew it was Mango the first time I saw it lol.

Smash Lord
@Ziv[/COLOR] : I actually made 4 accounts in Dec 2001, but chose to continue using this one (back then it was named Metal Ness) somewhat randomly. I didn't even remember the other 3 until recently, and I did some detective work to find out their names: DarkNess, ZeldaLover14, and Dark Blue Yoshi. I'm pretty sure their original purposes back then were to increase replies for my fan fictions LOL
Man. I thought it was a two man troll operation.

Kinda close.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Lolololol Honda wrote fanfiction =P
Yep, the first day I was here I wrote an Animal House-esque comedy called Slumber Party, which was actually really popular and had a bunch of sequels and spin-offs. I also had serious Star Fox and Yoshi ones where everyone basically died all the time...

I used to have copies of them but they died with my old hard drive, and now they're lost on the forums forever because of the archiving thing, so :(

After fan fictions I spent most of my time doing fan art and Flash battles, which is what got me into THE Back Room actually, since I was supposed to help run this thing called the SmashWorld Arena with Gideon. My menu system was way too intricate though and he wanted to redo the whole site to match it, but we never got around to it. Luckily I still have it, all the way from 2002 : http://www.tsuaii.com/dl/swarena.swf

Jturley46

Smash Journeyman

Yep, the first day I was here I wrote an Animal House-esque comedy called Slumber Party, which was actually really popular and had a bunch of sequels and spin-offs. I also had serious Star Fox and Yoshi ones where everyone basically died all the time...

I used to have copies of them but they died with my old hard drive, and now they're lost on the forums forever because of the archiving thing, so :(

After fan fictions I spent most of my time doing fan art and Flash battles, which is what got me into THE Back Room actually, since I was supposed to help run this thing called the SmashWorld Arena with Gideon. My menu system was way too intricate though and he wanted to redo the whole site to match it, but we never got around to it. Luckily I still have it, all the way from 2002 : http://www.tsuaii.com/dl/swarena.swf
Things you never knew about Hondafoo- A Biography

Haha, that is some pretty neat stuff though for real.

Top Bottom