• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Karissa the Destroyer" was a Marketing Hoax

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
Sky does what my fiance does in an argument. Turns the whole thing around on me and tells me she's disappointed in me.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I just don't understand the point of even doing this. Is it to try to encourage younger players to try to become amazing at the game? Anyways, I really want to know who was really playing, because that was crazy.

Edit: Thinking about it a bit more, maybe it was a prank for the competitive community?

Last edited:

M@v

Subarashii!
I'm the one that made the post on Reddit with sky's side of the story. Also going to post this pic at Sky's request that debunks the supposed rumor that he followed Karissa on twitter 3 weeks before the event.

Last edited:

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
Okay in all reality I hardly see why anybody would care about this... ah well what evs...
You thought the 10 y/o was playing. But it was ME, DIO!
sorry
Okay I need to know which anime this is from so I can get this reference, because so many people have been using it lately

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
So Reggie finally finished his 3DS training and came back to kick everyone's asses.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Sorry I don't get it... Okay, she's an actor... sooo... her matches were just videos? Or the people who played against her...got hit by stuff on purpose?

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
On one hand the idea of a 10 year old child beating competetive Smash plyers with probably experience since the day Smash 64 came out or at least Melee would make that child look like a hero and set an example.

On the other hand if this WERE real, the guys who think Smash is too kiddie to be considered a fighting game would've gotten a lot more ammunition to make fun of Smash fans with so it all kinda evens things out.
Wasn't there a 8-year-old who did well at EVO in MVC? That would seem to kill the argument that if it had been legit that it'd have made Smash look too kiddie to be a fighting game.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
So then it begs the question, who is the one playing for the little girl?

I actually think we could whittle this down pretty good by checking to see who was at events that day or was known to be elsewhere. But in some ways it'd be just as funny if it turned out that it was somebody who was just as anonymous as Karissa's character, some unfound Smash genius that just had never been on the public stage.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I was too busy with the child prodigy known as Alex from Target to notice any of this going on.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I don't think we should get so upset over this. There's a difference between a hoax and a lie, and yes you could argue that your trust was misplaced but then I would similarly expect you to argue to a family member pranking you that you now don't trust them and can't place your faith in them.

Does it not sound a bit much, when put in context?

She's a 10 year old girl and she doesn't deserve to be under fire for this guys. If you want to be annoyed at this, be annoyed at whoever thought of it. Personally I think it's a lot better to look at optimistic side of this and say it was for fun. Even if you don't though, get over it. If you want to prove to the world that smash isn't a game that takes no skill, then you get out there and play it instead of sitting here whining about a stunt. This is not the way you deal with something you think has landed a blow to your community's competitive viability.

The reason i'm saying this is because I think it's unfair people like Sky and D1 are receiving hate for this. They certainly don't deserve it and while I can't speak for them, it would surprise me if the intentions of people who've been part of this community for a long time were anything other than a harmless joke.

Oh by the way, peeps might be interested to know that a few people I've spoken to about the issue were upset that it was uncovered so quickly - they thought that if a 10 year old could be so good at the game, then they could do it too. it gave them incentive rather than switching them off.

Just things to think about.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
ITT: A lot of johns and unnecessary drama over a marketing joke.

Yeah, it possible for a child barely reaching teens and school long time pros of the series and even to the point of lying about it is not always a good thing. But I think we're raging with little to no reason over a harmless joke that was too good to be true anyways, especially with people recording her playing and watching every single thing she does (kinda disturbing in a way).

So we all need to take a deep breathe in and out and just say you got me gewd dude.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Wasn't there a 8-year-old who did well at EVO in MVC? That would seem to kill the argument that if it had been legit that it'd have made Smash look too kiddie to be a fighting game.
Let's be honest regardless of such they'd use this as an excuse to continue making fun of Smash fans, people who do that don't really care about reason. But yeah there was that 8 year old playing MVC and there were two very young boys who did well in Blazblue during this year's EVO if I recall.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
This is really some crazy Wizard of Oz sh*t though.

Who's behind the curtain? M2K?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I'm not sure what's funnier...the "hoax" or the people grabbing their pitchforks over a fairly ridiculous issue. Especially those taking to Twitter to voice thier "disappointments". People take things way to seriously and instantly jump to the most hype-inducing conclusions. :/

I don't think this is damaging to the community, the girls acting career isn't shot, nor are the players credibility and this is going to die down in a matter of days. Liking this to the schism that Brawl brought to the community is beyond ridiculous.

Last edited:

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
I think if it was made to b
ITT: A lot of johns and unnecessary drama over a marketing joke.

Yeah, it possible for a child barely reaching teens and school long time pros of the series and even to the point of lying about it is not always a good thing. But I think we're raging with little to no reason over a harmless joke that was too good to be true anyways, especially with people recording her playing and watching every single thing she does (kinda disturbing in a way).

So we all need to take a deep breathe in and out and just say you got me gewd dude.

You should read Sky's explanation.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
You should read Sky's explanation.
I did, and ironically the community is johning like whiny kids for nothing. This is seriously blowing out of proportion for no rhyme or reason and will be forgotten in a few weeks.

Last edited:

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Gamestop being crap again.

Don't blame the ten year old though, she's just an actor acting for money, and this didn't harm anybody. If you want to blame someone, blame Gamestop

Last edited:

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
Glad it was a hoax. Not a big fan of immature little kids beating experienced gamers. They always brag and act like brats when they win. Now that I know that this kid probably has no Smash skills at all, I'm much happier.

But I hate it when people pull stupid publicity stunts like this, so now I'm back to square one of my grumpiness.
Isn't it also immature to be irritated by a kid bragging? =o There are Smashers in all ranges of skill (and age, for that matter) that brag or trash-talk before AND after the game.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I'm not sure what's funnier...the "hoax" or the people grabbing their pitchforks over a fairly ridiculous issue. Especially those taking to Twitter to voice thier "disappointments". People take things way to seriously and instantly jump to the most hype-inducing conclusions. :/

I don't think this is damaging to the community, the girls acting career isn't shot, nor are the players credibility and this is going to die down in a matter of days. Liking this to the schism that Brawl brought to the community is beyond ridiculous.
Well some little girls did look up to her after that as in " girls CAN play video games good~!" . and now that it is shown as a hoex....soo....

Loki

Smash Apprentice
Well some little girls did look up to her after that as in " girls CAN play video games good~!" . and now that it is shown as a hoex....soo....
What? They can´t now? Girls indeed CAN play videos games good. They dont need role models, all they need is support.

Will they get said support from this comunity?... I am starting to have my doubts...

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
What? They can´t now? Girls indeed CAN play videos games good. They dont need role models, all they need is support.

Will they get said support from this comunity?... I am starting to have my doubts...
Your right They shouldnt even NEED role models for that. They should know anyone can be good at video games.
Asking Support from this community to girls is like trying to make a horse drink water when it dosnt want to.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
It was obviously staged, but what's with all the hostility? Come on.

Also the guy that was actually playing the match was totally ZeRo.
While I do not like hostility, I also dislike a lack of integrity.

D

Deleted member

Oh please, anybody who is angry/insulted/disappointed over this needs to pull the stick out of their ass.

Ascended

Smash Ace
I'm with the people saying that this whole thing is getting blown out of proportion and people are reacting to intensely to it. In a couple of days, who's going to care?

Top Bottom