• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Keyboard?

Wrap It Up

Smash Apprentice
Well, a question about what controls you guys use for the keyboard. The way I play doesn't feel right, so I wanna know how you guys use the keyboard.

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
I've been using my keyboard controls since like 5 years and no ONE has the same controls as me, I swear..

A,S,D,F = Up,Down,Left,Right

C,V,B,N,M,(,) = Start,Taunt(L),A,B,Grab(R),Dodge(Z)

Yup, my controls are all in rows, everybody that tried my controls were just like ''Fawk it I can't play with those'' Lol.

MattNF

Smash Lord
Z, X, C = A, B, R
Spacebar = Z
A = L
home, delete, end, page down = up, left, down, right
insert = c up
left, down, right on arrow keys = c left, down and right

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
My settings

Left Arrow Right Arrow Up Arrow Down Arrow for left right up and down

A is D
B is F
S is Space
L is Z
R is A
Z is S

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I have a similar set up to an n64 controller.

Keyboard=Controller
W= Up
A= Left
S= Down
F= Right
J= A
M= B
KL<>: C stick buttons
U= Z
I= R
Y= L

For the most part, this is how an N64 controller is except I switched A and B around so it's easier to get to A since it's a major button. I started picking up keyboard when I had my laptop in the car on road trips and things like that. I got used to it fast and I can say that I could be a keyboard main if I used it for a month or so.

Note: I use Shift as an alternate Z because, for some reason, I seem to use it for teching. My shielding and canceling go to U though =\

Xelgand

Smash Apprentice
Mine is just normal, trying to emulate N64's buttons distribution

w,a,s,d = up, left, down, right

g= start

u= c-up
h= A
j= B
k= Z
i = R
y = L

1,2,3= the others C (i don't know if they're useful in smash64, 'cause i only use c-up for jump/short jump)

NixxxoN

Smash Master

Keyboard=Controller
W= Up
A= Left
S= Down
F= Right
J= A
M= B
U= Z
I= R
Y= L
lol I almost have exactly the same! To simulate the N64 controller positions is a good idea. But... why you have the right button separate? and why dont you use the spacebar for Z? its very useful.

Superstar

Smash Champion
I use Keyboard on Kaillera, I want an adaptor, but my control scheme:

Arrow Buttons: Control Stick
5: A
1: B
6: Z
+: R
-: L
7,8,9,/: C buttons
Insert: Start [used to be enter but I'd accidentely pause].

The nmbers are on the numpad. And on Mupen, I set 4 to the 50% controller modifier, I'd use the NRage plugin but then my opponents can't move, maybe if I DL the latest version.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
a=left
d=right
s=down
w=jump
z=a
x=b
c=r/l
v=2ndary jump (for SH)
f=z
e=taunt
q=pause

I use my left hand for control stick and right for everything else except pause and taunt.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
lol I almost have exactly the same! To simulate the N64 controller positions is a good idea. But... why you have the right button separate? and why dont you use the spacebar for Z? its very useful.
I didn't mean to put F for my right. I meant D >_<. And spacebar seems to off for my likings. I like things closer :p

killa k

Smash Ace
Direction Keys: UP, Down, Left, Right

Caps Lock: A
A: B (lol may sound confusing)
Enter: Start
Q: L
W: R
Tab: Z
S: for shorthopping

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Dang that is too awkward for me. I would rather splice and replace the n64 socket with a usb one and plug that into my computer, less work xD

infernovia

Smash Ace
I, J, K, L as directions.

A and D for hopping (and djc).

Z for shield.

X for normal attack.

C for special.

Q for taunt.

Wrap It Up

Smash Apprentice
I've been using my keyboard controls since like 5 years and no ONE has the same controls as me, I swear..

A,S,D,F = Up,Down,Left,Right

C,V,B,N,M,(,) = Start,Taunt(L),A,B,Grab(R),Dodge(Z)

Yup, my controls are all in rows, everybody that tried my controls were just like ''Fawk it I can't play with those'' Lol.
Wow that is impossible to use. Just tried it and lost to a lvl 5. Could UpB correctly.

Keyboard=Controller
W= Up
A= Left
S= Down
F= Right
J= A
M= B
U= Z
I= R
Y= L

For the most part, this is how an N64 controller is except I switched A and B around so it's easier to get to A since it's a major button. I started picking up keyboard when I had my laptop in the car on road trips and things like that. I got used to it fast and I can say that I could be a keyboard main if I used it for a month or so.

Note: I use Shift as an alternate Z because, for some reason, I seem to use it for teching. My shielding and canceling go to U though =\
This looks like the one. I'm gonna try it out right now.
I'll practice first and tell you the result.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Do these many people actually use keyboards to play online?!? I thought more people had invested in a USB adapter for some kind of controller, N64 or non. I got an adapter, but the joystick on the N64 controller doesn't respond like a real N64 would, unfortunately

If only they still made adaptoids, those things look quite good....

Superstar

Smash Champion
Changed it.

Arrow Buttons: Control Stick
5: A
1: B
6: Z
+: R
-: L
7,8,9,/: C buttons
Insert: Start [used to be enter but I'd accidentely pause].
4: 50% Control Stick modifier.

I managed to get NRage working. Hehehe. Shorthopped uairs and non buffered utilts here I come.

Yah, Keyboard sucks, but I want some Smash [not Brawl].

Skrlx

Smash Champion
This used to be my setup when i was on keys it was very good. (at the time i had those dorky brick-like square keyboard it was a little old lol)

up,down,left,right are the arrow keys.

A button: A key
B Button: S Key
R Button: D Key
L Button: E Key
Z Button: Z Key
Start Button: Enter Key
I didnt have the c buttons setup exept for one.
Up C Button: i cant remember if it was X or C
i used that key to shorthop

it worked for me well.

Grime

Smash Rookie
B key = C-up (for short hops)
V key = attack
C key = special
X key = shield
Z key = grab
A key = taunt

Up, Right, Down, Left arrow keys for movement and normal jumping. I like this setup because my fingers rest on the main keys I'll be using, and I don't have to worry much about hitting the wrong one. I don't own a controller, but I've gotten to a point where I can play considerably well with the keyboard.

Grunt

Smash Master
Do these many people actually use keyboards to play online?!? I thought more people had invested in a USB adapter for some kind of controller, N64 or non. I got an adapter, but the joystick on the N64 controller doesn't respond like a real N64 would, unfortunately

I use my wired 360 controller. it works so good.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)

Hey man, keyboard makes smashing so much easier >.>

(both more convenient and easier to play ingame)

of course that means I have to readjust for like 30 minutes whenever I actually play console, but whatever, that never happens anyway...

DemonicInfluence

Smash Ace
I'm the same as you Lawrencelot. The one time I tried with a controller, I failed badly :(

Setup:
Up/down/left/right = u,j,h,k (since my bro wanted to use arrow keys to move)
A = A
B = S
Shield = C
Grab = D
Taunt = X

SH= T,Y,I,O

So, my pointer/ring fingers press SH while middle finger does most of the work. My pinky does nothing :)

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
of course that means I have to readjust for like 30 minutes whenever I actually play console, but whatever, that never happens anyway...
:confused:
Come on people get back to your roots! I play console way more than on PC.

I recently hosted a party at my house. I had N64 with smash bros set up, seemed at any given moment at least 2 people were playing. Nothing like a smash keggar :laugh:

Anyway I must have been challenged like 10 times that night. One guy said to watch out because he was good. He wasn't that good.

Another guy said when I brought it up that my N64 was set up in the other room.
He says "Yeah man I love that game. I play as Samus. Who do you play as?"
I say, "As many characters as I can, but mainly Link, Fox, Pikachu.... sometimes Jigglypuff..."
"Aww, Jigglypuff sucks though."
"No way man. How about this - let's do a battle, you be anyone, I'll be Jigglypuff, and we'll see."
"Are you serious? Okay, if you can actually beat me as Jigglypuff ... I will SLAP myself."

He chooses Samus.
I choose Jiggly.
He gets 5 stocked.

This is why I love to play console all the time :laugh:

NixxxoN

Smash Master
true Daedatheus you cant do this so much on Kaillera, and if you can its not as funny as having the other next to you

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
so you can play vs random people who don't actually play the game?
Nah I was just joking around, that's not why I really love console. The difference in speed and control make console the best. Also being right next to your opponent is much more interesting (and less laggy!!).

Also what rocks about console is playing with 3 other friends. A big 4-way FFA with all your friends there IN PERSON is tons of fun, you just can't get that experience online.

I really enjoy the online play because you face such varying skill degrees and you're challenged far more often... but the fact of the matter is that I play **** online compared to console, and that's not really because of the lag, but mostly because of the difference in how the USB adapter and PC handles the N64 controller versus playing it on console. So obviously, being able to do all your moves more easily is a lot more fun. I do believe I am going to do as much tweaking to the control as possible now, though, to see if I can't get some better results out of it.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Question :

I use a dpad controller to play online, It automatically registers any forward motion as dashing etc so I have to buffer tilts Im sure a lot of you are in the same boat

soo.. if I increase the deadzone will I get better DI out of my controller??? I heard some people play with GC controllers with super high deadzone to get h4x DI.

I hate fighting h4x DI pikachu players who mostly camp!!! Thats tough to beat with falcon if theres lag involved

Top Bottom