• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KGD - The Kewkky Thread! - Kirby's Wasteland: Dead Social

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
It was a 2 game set but I gave him hell!!

He asked him for any advice he could give me and he said I did really well; he couldn't give any advice. He also said he was really shaken up during game 2 when I did like a 60% combo to death hammer. He stated didn't expect me to be that good. In the end, I have no regrets I felt great. Fatal's a cool dude! :bee:
Honestly, I do feel that my Snake MU is lacking a bit though.

Ch3 3s3 went for a Kirby ditto game 2. Silly guy.
I saved game 3 replay. I hope to upload it sometime this week. :)

I lost to Atomsk's IC in winners. I did better this time around but I wish he could use his DDD or Falco on me. =\

ChuDat was debating whether or not to attend that tournament. I felt bummed when he decided not to. Aw well.
:phone:

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
Lookin forward to watching that replay Mike =)

In other news, Italy officially advances to the quarterfinals baby.
My deepest condolences to your crappy Netherlands, auto. Lol.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I'm quite disappony in the Dutch team's performance. How the hell does a team go from being a world cup finalist to a team that drowns in the 1st round?
*Removes orange shirt to reveal a blue one.*
Azzurri got this, lulz.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
MK, you got spot #5 in top kirbies! Huzzah, I just noticed! You knocked me off, and you definitely deserve to be up there, but I have to admit that I haven't been active at all, and things are gonna get even more inactive for me from now on since my actual job starts soon. However, I can rest easy knowing I was once a contender for #1 Kirby in the past, and brawlers will forever remember me as one of the great Kirbies... GET AT MY LEVEL BRO!

but really, good going MKirby, looking forward to seeing loads of tourney videos from you!

EDIT: Also, Gungrave's last episode brought a single tear to my eye. That was a very powerful show, I love animes with no real distinct "good" and "bad", that are also serious and have amazing stories to tell.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Thank you, Kewkky! It means a lot coming from you! You were one of my favorite Kirby's to watch and I learned a lot from watching you. As great as I felt seeing myself at fifth, I honestly must say, I felt bad knowing that your inactivity was one of the reasons you were debunked and I was placed there. You'll always be one of the bests in my book, Kewkky!

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I'm not gonna stop playing Brawl until the new Smash comes out, it's just that I'll be doing a lot of traveling now with lots of downtime between deployments, so I won't have my Wii with me the vast majority of the time. I'll have to "warm up" everytime I hit a new Smash scene, and hopefully next time I'll finally have my own car so I can make EVERY single tourney I want instead of depending on someone else's schedule and financial situation.

And I'd MUCH rather be debunked for inactivity than debunked because I lost my touch, or got worse and can't seem to get better. At least I know that if I play Brawl with people and get some warm-up time beforehand I can still put up a fight!

Which reminds me... We're gonna need another Kirby rep in the backroom soon, whoever's interested I'd recommend getting more active in the forums, especially around the metagame forums, and controlling their temper when dealing with trolls and less knowledgeable players (and tourney results too, of course). The BBR's pretty fun to be in, believe me, totally worth getting in, and bragging rights are always awesome (you gotta prove that you belong in there, and oince you're in, you gotta participate in BBR projects, but if you're knowledgeable it's real easy)!

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Third time sayin, but I thought I should let you guys know that i'm going to the EB expo! Assuming the dates work out it should be a-m-a-z-i-n-g and i'll post if I see something new or interesting!

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
Just curious, which Kirbys are gonna be at SKTAR? I know MikeKirby said he's going on vacation so I won't be able to play him which saddens me cause ever since I saw him vs Chibo I was impressed and next thing I know he's on the top 5 Kirby list. Maybe you'll be at Apex 2013? I know I'm going to that!

Unfortunately I probably won't be playing much Kirby at SKTAR. My brother took the Wii with him to California and isn't coming back until July 6th meaning I'll only be getting one week of practice before SKTAR and my Kirby sucks without practice (I barely got any practice before my last tourney which is why I went all MK because my Kirby did extremely bad in 2 MMs before bracket) so I don't know if I'll be able to rep Kirby at SKTAR, MK is a lot easier to play without practice. =/

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
I would totally be up for BBR, but I'm inactive, too. LOL. Maybe when I finally jump back into the scene.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Oh hi, sorry for not posting here for some time, been busy with schoolwork and I have limited internet access until the 29th... ^^; I still aim to improve my Kirby!

Also is it Kappy's birthday? On Skype it says that. :p
If it is... Happy Birthday Kappy!! ^__^

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I won't be at SKTAR but I will definitely be making plans to be at APEX! >=D
I hope I can go to MD/VA one day. I've met a quite a few friendly brawlers that are from over there. Plus, I really like the variety of characters over there. It's all IC's and MK here... :(

I might not be at SKTAR but I think one of my fellow NJ Kirby's might be there. His name is Gh0st and he's coming along pretty well.

If I had the time, I would totally try to go into the backroom but I am lucky to have even found time to play Brawl. >.<

Also,
Also is it Kappy's birthday? On Skype it says that. :p
If it is... Happy Birthday Kappy!! ^__^
:kirby::kirby::kirby:

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
I played Gh0st in pools at Apex, he really impressed me! He beat me in Kirby dittos game 1 and I had to go MK to win the set. I hate having to go MK, especially vs a Kirby because I respect every Kirby main a lot, so it does sadden me when I have to go MK to beat one.

Yeah... When your region's best players are ICs, MKs and Olimar (well just one Olimar cause Dabuz, but still) Kirby's three worst MUs IMO... Yeah, doesn't sound like fun. D:

I'd love to see you come to MD/VA, although be warned, since we do have Chu, everyone here knows the Kirby match-up. XD

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
See Poyo, you'll never get better with Kirby if you keep falling back on MK everytime you lose a game. How else would you develop better strategies? It's looking like when they outplay your Kirby and you know what they do now, instead of using Kirby again and trying different things to better yourself, you instantly go back to MK and then never develop anything for Kirby for the next time you fight anyone.

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
At locals I do stay Kirby even when I lose a game (my set vs Luckay was an exception cause I took adderall that day so I wanted to go as far in bracket as I could, plus it wasn't an instant change, I actually thought about 3-4 minutes after game 2 whether to stay Kirby or not, but Seagull on the livestream told me to change to MK so that made me lean more towards MK for game 3 vs Luckay) but it was Apex, so I obviously wanted to do as well as I could.

And tbh for that game, I actually adapted better than Gh0st. At the beginning, I underestimated him because I 2-0'd him when I played him on the AiB ladder, so I went aggro and took like 80% in 10 seconds from bairs/grabs which put me at a huge disadvantage early in the game and I lost my first stock when he was only at around 30%. I still brought that game to him on 50% his last stock, but when I killed his second stock, I was already at 150% last stock, so he had a fresh bair which would kill me which I inevitably got hit by.

I may have possibly still been able to win with Kirby since I knew what I was getting hit by after game 1, but I got super nervous cause it's round 1 pools and not making it out of round 1 pools is the worst feeling in the world.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Just be aware about poyo beating you like he did with lie's lucario in that 40 dollar mm with Kirbs.

Yeah, I saw that on YouTube, lol.

Going to my first 2012 tourney in a couple of minutes. I don't know how the turnout is gonna be. Wish me luck!

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Good luck, Twink! LOL.

And Poyo, what you said about being nervous about not getting out of pools and using MK to ensure it is exactly why you will probably never solo-main Kirby. Either accept that you will fall back on MK, or take your losses and mistakes, deal with them, and learn from them without falling back onto MK. It's your choice, but I think you need to realize that, while you speak of wanting to solo-main Kirby, it will probably never happen until you stop caring about how far you go in bracket and start caring about names you take with Kirby alone. Just sayin'. LOL.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
There's always that dip in your performace when you completely switch to a different main, or start using a different strategy. You do worse at first, but eventually you start doing better than you did before once you get the hang of things and amplify your knowledge/experience if your switch was for the best (considering MK is just so much better than Kirby, you probably won't ever do as good with Kirby as you could do with MK though, it's the sad truth).

Also, you shouldn't really use friendlies to get better with Kirby. It's a pretty well-known fact that people tendo to play worse in friendlies than they do in actual tourney sets because they're not at risk of losing anything, except just the game maybe. The better players either use different strategies, or choose different characters, or just plain horse around only because they can and there's no money/title on the line. That's why it's always better to just go with one character straight in tourneys/moneymatches/friendlies, both the quality of the experience you get with the character and the quality of your practice are just way better.

It's up to you though! If you're in it for winning money I suggest keeping MK as your main and using Kirby as a secondary. If you want recognition as one of the best Kirbies (and maybe even win money if you get to be THAT good), you gotta be ready to take that plunge.

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
Kappy: I don't believe I'll ever be a solo-Kirby main. I believe I can be a Kirby main for the most part because I do believe all of Kirby's MUs except MK, ICs and Olimar are 50-50 or near 50-50, so if I outplay my opponent, I should win as long as I don't fall for inexperience match-up gimmicks from low tiers.

Kewkky: I don't believe my MK will ALWAYS do better than my Kirby. Theoretically yes, but Kirby can have the advantage if some people don't know the Kirby MU, and almost everyone knows the MK MU and not many know the Kirby MU, so that could give me an advantage. Also I'll go Kirby vs Marths and Pikachus instead of MK because I do believe he has a better MU vs them than MK (no grab releases or chaingrabs and hitbox-wise Kirby beats both of them, that does include Marth, but you have to space and be patient to beat Marth... Although the only Pikachu is ESAM, so I don't wanna risk Kirby vs ICs, so I probably will never go Pikachu vs him unless somehow I make him switch off ICs then go Kirby vs his Pikachu game 3).

And yeah, I do agree with not using friendlies to get better with Kirby. The reason is because playing well with Kirby is mentally straining because of how many reads he has to make which requires a lot of thought, so unless you're naturally good, you probably will need to put in a lot of thought, too much thought for it to be worth it for a friendly. This is why I MM a lot, money matches are definitely worth the mental effort. MK I can play natural in friendlies, MMs, tourney, but that's probably just cause it's MK. Kirby requires a lot of mental thought and I don't feel like playing him and just getting ***** for playing bad, which is why I rarely play Kirby in friendlies.

Also tbh, I never EVER cared about the money, EVER (unless I need the money to attend another tourney). I play Brawl because I love it and it's the only thing in life I'm actually passionate about which is why I want to win so much at it. So I can say to myself (I don't care what other think) that I'm good at one of the few things I love. That's also the reason I want to be good with Kirby. Because he's my favorite video game character, so I want to be good with the character I love the most. -^_^-

Labernash

Smash Lord
If you drop MK and focus on Kirby, you're Kirby WILL end up being better than you're MK, unless you think you've hit your best and can't improve anymore as a player.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
If you feel equally competent with both you should play as whichever character feels better in a situation/matchup.

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
Labernash: Well, that's obvious. And nah, I don't feel I've capped out, nowhere even close to capped out. ;D

Automatic: That is how I feel. Right now I just wanna learn more MUs as Kirby since I believe all his MUs except for MK/ICs/Olimar are 50-50 or near 50-50 making all of those viable. I think Kirby vs those 3 is also viable, but it's hard and you have to consistently outplay your opponent and play those MUs right to win.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Speaking of Olimar, I'm trying to learn the matchup and I was playing one on wifi *gags* Towards the end of the match some kind of glitch happened. The Olimar had Pikmin behind him but he couldn't throw them with his side-B. Of course I took total advantage of it! :awesome: It was really strange. Is there something about him I don't know? I saved the replay I'll get up soon-ish...

Not enough people went to the tourney, so the tourney never happened. I played a bunch of friendlies though.

I WON A GAME WITH KIRBYomg

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I played Gh0st in pools at Apex, he really impressed me! He beat me in Kirby dittos game 1 and I had to go MK to win the set. I hate having to go MK, especially vs a Kirby because I respect every Kirby main a lot, so it does sadden me when I have to go MK to beat one.

Yeah... When your region's best players are ICs, MKs and Olimar (well just one Olimar cause Dabuz, but still) Kirby's three worst MUs IMO... Yeah, doesn't sound like fun. D:

I'd love to see you come to MD/VA, although be warned, since we do have Chu, everyone here knows the Kirby match-up. XD
Best players in my region mostly use Marth, Falco or Snake, but I do see the occasional ICs.

As for the maining MK thing... I agree that taking the dive and going for a certain main can be so crazy at first but yeah, I don't really care about going far as I do going far with Lucas/Ness. It's true that I find it frustrating when I come up against a marth or snake main and get destroyed the first match but I find it better to push on with my mains because it gives me invaluable experience with the matchup and allows me to try more things next time. The more experience of a MU I have, the more likely I am going to be able to change it for the better.

Airslash

Smash Journeyman
Kirby mains seem to really be intelligent, long and great posts.

I seem to keep picking up and dropping Kirby, dispite how AMAZING he really is... anyone have any advice? I'm actually quite good (I play some big names in friendlies, wifi or local).

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Aww, i'm left out... :(

The Lucas boards have been picking up in intelligent posts recently, I wonder if this is the case for most chars atm now that everybody is flooding in to the boards with the whole smash 4 thing?

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Speaking of Olimar, I'm trying to learn the matchup and I was playing one on wifi *gags* Towards the end of the match some kind of glitch happened. The Olimar had Pikmin behind him but he could throw them with his side-B. Of course I took total advantage of it! :awesome: It was really strange. Is there something about him I don't know? I saved the replay I'll get up soon-ish...

Ghost pikmin glitch. Olimar's pikmin is stuck to the ledge due to an oddly timed and spaced aerial and Olimar must whistle to cycle pikmin just to attack and he must aerial at the ledge to retrieve his pikmin.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Thanks Dabuz! Oh you're good, and no name search bait, hah! That info was well appreciated. :)

------------

Twinkie, that's a bummer. Did you guys at least do round robin or something?

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787

I seem to keep picking up and dropping Kirby, dispite how AMAZING he really is... anyone have any advice? I'm actually quite good (I play some big names in friendlies, wifi or local).
I only do summarized posts, lol. I don't do long ones that much.

As for tips, keep looking up in the Kirby boards. There's a lot of advice from chu, falln, and many others.

Top Bottom