• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

kid dies imitating naruto

KawaiixxWings

Smash Cadet
It's a generational thing and again, not at all surprising.

When the majority of America grew up, cartoons were for kids. There was no "anime" or mature cartoons.

Same reason many people see video games as just for kids. Obviously, as the new generation grows up (the generation that grew up with video games and anime and stuff), attitudes will change.
True that.

"Mommy, can you buy me Fall Out?"

"Why yes hunny. : )"

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
It may be an old story, but it doesn't mean it's not worth the discussion.

Anyways, I think this was a bad news story on part of the media. Extremely uninformed and just trying to get a meaty leg called a paycheck. If they have anyone to blame, they should blame Toonami for putting a show directed at teens on a time slot directed at young boys.
wtf why of all things should they blame toonami? First of all its a Shonen and those are generally aimed at young kids to the early teens. In no way or form is Naruto anything close to a "mature" show. There's a reason why they show things like Deathnote at night and not Naruto. Of course once in awhile people die but I'm sure kids around that age already know what death is.

Stop trying to find some sort of scape goat and face the cold hard facts of whose fault this really is. The kid who wanted to do this in the first place. Of course to a lesser extent the players may also hold some responsibility but let's be reasonable. Kids will be kids and if you think your gonna be a parent who watches their kid 24/7 it's called being over protective/naive.

KawaiixxWings

Smash Cadet
wtf why of all things should they blame toonami? First of all its a Shonen and those are generally aimed at young kids to the early teens. In no way or form is Naruto anything close to a "mature" show. There's a reason why they show things like Deathnote at night and not Naruto. Of course once in awhile people die but I'm sure kids around that age already know what death is.

Stop trying to find some sort of scape goat and face the cold hard facts of whose fault this really is. The kid who wanted to do this in the first place. Of course to a lesser extent the players may also hold some responsibility but let's be reasonable. Kids will be kids and if you think your gonna be a parent who watches their kid 24/7 it's called being over protective/naive.
Yes, Naruto is in the shounen genre. But it takes only that scope of audience in Japan - it's traditional to show these types of shows to children and teenagers there, but it's different in America. The fact that Toonami tries to embrace the concept that is controlled in a different culture was a mistake. Furthermore, have you even watched Naruto at all? A lot of the content is teenager to adult material. There's sexual themes, blood, more psychological issues, and sometimes there's some disturbing moments. This show isn't kid's stuff. And the only reason why they have Death Note at night is because kids can't fully undertstand 80% of it.

I agree with you that it's the kid's fault. But not like the legal system can do something about it anyways, because the kid "doesn't know any better", right?

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Let me end this once and for all.

These cartoons are made assuming the children watching them aren't idiots who will try to copy them.It is no ones fault for rare deaths like this one except the brain dead kids who do stuff like this.(Except perhaps a bit to blame on parents)

The media don't matter,people who follow what they have to say are fools.

They consistently shovel **** and bad news over everyone.

BBQTV

Smash Master
Let me end this once and for all.

These cartoons are made assuming the children watching them aren't idiots who will try to copy them.It is no ones fault for rare deaths like this one except the brain dead kids who do stuff like this.(Except perhaps a bit to blame on parents)

The media don't matter,people who follow what they have to say are fools.

They consistently shovel **** and bad news over everyone.
so were all in agreement then

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Part 1 of the Naruto dub is not disturbing or mature by any means. There's a few weird Orochimaru moments, but those were barely mature. Just creepy.

This kid just couldn't tell the difference between fiction and reality. You can't blame anyone but his parents for not teaching him otherwise. =/

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
His parents couldn't really teach him. At that age, they really can't tell at all. Ever tell a kid a lie and they believe it? They have no foundation of reality.

Smash Master
What sammy p said.

The story/topic of discussion is this one child. What gave you the idea that we don't care about thousands and millions in the world? This topic wasn't about them is all. Discussing one child doesn't trivialize the plight of the rest of the world, just like the situation in the rest of the world doesn't trivialize the death of one.

Also,
What? Mispronouncing "Naruto" is not equivalent to misleading the public or related to fact-checking. I'm pretty sure the public is not going to to be affected by thinking that the show is about "sand ninjas" either. To them, it's just some Japanese cartoon that they'll forget about within a couple days.

Now, claiming that Obama's birth location is ambiguous despite proof having been presented to the contrary, that is an error in fact checking that can mislead the public.

So... because the story is trivial it's okay to mislead people about it. That's a really dangerous line you're walking and I'd prefer to take it out of the equation altogether.

Okay, we've established that you care about every child who starves as much as you care about this idiot. (We did establish that right?) So, why aren't you somber like 24/7? Do you not care enough to let it affect your state of emotion?

"@104857979 whatever your name is:

Lol, nice use of propaganda. When we talk about one child's death, we don't suddenly trivialize the deaths of 100K other kids. Plus, the media could care less about anime, so they don't research the facts, sorta like video games.

Also, here is the real life equivalent of what you just did: Walking into the president's funeral and saying: "You mispronounced the name of the disease he had! Oh, and why are you trivializing the deaths of like 9000 people today!""
@Neodude or w/e

You need to support your assertions with concrete examples and analysis. Otherwise, you're just basically flaming. When did I use propaganda?

Your analogy is so ridiculous that I'm amazed and disheartened that you couldn't see what's wrong with it before you posted. I mean, it's okay to not be able to follow logic all the way down. I can't do that either. That's kind of the point of arguing. But you should be able to quickly see what's wrong with your analogy. Were you hoping I was stupid enough to not see the problem and admit defeat? If so, that's incredibly immoral. The goal should be to find truth, not to 'win' the argument in some sense.

Anyway, the people attending a funeral should care more about the death of the president than some random person they have no connection to. That's why the situation is different. A more credible analogy would be if someone went to one stranger's funeral? In that case, we would both be baffled as to why they care about the death of someone they didn't even know, no? It would be even more weird that they didn't care about any other strangers as well.

Neo Exdeath

Smash Ace
@1048576:

In the last paragraph, you said, "Why don't you care about the deaths of 1 million other kids today?". You assumed that we simply didn't care about them just because we were discussing one kid's death. Plus, when were we not allowed to mourn the death of someone we don't know? A death is a death. Why do you think people mourn celebrities, or presidents? We are allowed to care about people we don't know because we can be kind. We care about this kid. We care about the deaths of 1,000,000 other people today. Also, why didn't you respond to my second paragraph? That was pretty much my response to the whole basis of your argument. Instead, you just attacked my analogy.

Smash Master
Your entire second paragraph was the analogy. Your analogy is flawed; therefore the conclusions drawn from it are flawed as well.

We're past the not caring. Read my posts please. Right now I've assumed that you care about every single child that dies. Now I have questions for you. I believe that I will be able to form a concrete logical argument in support of my position no matter how you answer them. If you care about every dying child, then why aren't you somber like 24/7? Do you not care enough to let it affect your emotions?

People mourn celebrities and presidents because their actions affected our lives. I wanted to see Michael Jackson's last concert. Maybe not live, but I wanted to see it. I also felt he had enough influence to affect the world in ways that were, to me, favorable. As a result, when he died, I mourned the loss. Same deal for (most) presidents that die. This kid didn't do anything for anybody and there's no reason I can think of that you should get upset when people attack the irresponsible journalism instead of mourning, unless you care enough about everyone else's death that you're somber 24/7.

Let's make this perfectly clear because I may have lost you in a sea of text... Does this kid get more sympathy from you than one of the many kids in a third-world country that starve to death every day? If so, why?

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Okay, we've established that you care about every child who starves as much as you care about this idiot. (We did establish that right?) So, why aren't you somber like 24/7? Do you not care enough to let it affect your state of emotion?
Oh come on, stop being ridiculous. You're not being incisive or insightful. We, as humans, could not function if we constantly thought about the number and nature of deaths in the world, if we constantly mourned every single one. Humans, by nature, respond better to individuals than to statistics. Of course I don't let it affect me, what would that accomplish? Does it mean that I "don't care"?

What does any of that have to do with this discussion? I said that one kid's death does not trivialize everyone else's deaths, and everyone else's deaths do not trivialize one kid's. That is from an objective perspective, and has nothing to do with how humans subjectively think about or prioritize deaths and tragedies.

More importantly, none of that is related to this topic. 104, I've seen you bring this up several times in the past. Why do you feel the need to press your view on death and significance like this, time and time again? There's nothing wrong with talking about one or a few specific incidents without mentioning the world.

It's sort of like this:
"My car broke down the other day, so I had to get it towed. It's gonna be at least a week before I can drive it again."
"What about the thousands of other people whose cars broke down? Are their problems less important?"

"I have 2 big exams this week. I've been studying non-stop."
"What about the millions of other people around the world who have exams? Are their tests worth less than yours?"

"I just found out an old teacher of mine has cancer."
"What about the millions of others with cancer? What makes your teacher so much better than them?"

Bringing up the second point, in each case, is just unnecessary and unrelated.

The Drifter

Smash Journeyman
I kind of laughed is well, but because of the stupidity of this generation of kids. I mean, this is just fuel to the "Video games should bebanned forever" fire, and it pisses me off that people keep providing the lawyers with evidence that animated entertainment is bad.

Smash Master
Oh come on, stop being ridiculous. You're not being incisive or insightful. We, as humans, could not function if we constantly thought about the number and nature of deaths in the world, if we constantly mourned every single one. Humans, by nature, respond better to individuals than to statistics. Of course I don't let it affect me, what would that accomplish? Does it mean that I "don't care"?

What does any of that have to do with this discussion? I said that one kid's death does not trivialize everyone else's deaths, and everyone else's deaths do not trivialize one kid's. That is from an objective perspective, and has nothing to do with how humans subjectively think about or prioritize deaths and tragedies.

More importantly, none of that is related to this topic. 104, I've seen you bring this up several times in the past. Why do you feel the need to press your view on death and significance like this, time and time again? There's nothing wrong with talking about one or a few specific incidents without mentioning the world.

It's sort of like this:
"My car broke down the other day, so I had to get it towed. It's gonna be at least a week before I can drive it again."
"What about the thousands of other people whose cars broke down? Are their problems less important?"

"I have 2 big exams this week. I've been studying non-stop."
"What about the millions of other people around the world who have exams? Are their tests worth less than yours?"

"I just found out an old teacher of mine has cancer."
"What about the millions of others with cancer? What makes your teacher so much better than them?"

Bringing up the second point, in each case, is just unnecessary and unrelated.
Either an event affects your emotions or it doesn't. If it doesn't, that means you don't care. If you care about one stranger and not others, and you get upset with people for not caring about certain strangers, then you're a goddanged hypocrite.

Actually, the fact that there are a bunch of deaths does trivialize each individual death, assuming the deaths aren't different in any relevant/significant way. Let's face it; if this kid was the only kid that ever died, I'd feel pretty bad for him too. In terms of humanity though, I see no need to give his death any more attention thatn anyone elses.

Don't turn this around like I started it. You were the one acting all holier-than-thou when people were laughing at the shoddy journalism instead of being sad about the fact that the kid died.

As for the last three things... c'mon Goldshadow, really? You're smarter than that. It's obvious that people should care more about incidents that affect them than incidents that don't. I care if my car breaks down. I don't care if yours breaks down (although as a utilitarian I'd feel morally obligated to offer whatever help I could that wouldn't come at too much cost to me.)

BBQTV

Smash Master
I kind of laughed is well, but because of the stupidity of this generation of kids. I mean, this is just fuel to the "Video games should bebanned forever" fire, and it pisses me off that people keep providing the lawyers with evidence that animated entertainment is bad.
i know this is how i saw it to

Smash Master
Why not go to the source? Obv. sand should be banned forever mirite

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Those kids are more than old enough to realise that drowning someone in sand would asphyxiate them. This is a case of criminal stupidity.

Oracle

Smash Master
His parents couldn't really teach him. At that age, they really can't tell at all. Ever tell a kid a lie and they believe it? They have no foundation of reality.
The kid was 10, not 4. That's definitely an old enough age to tell the difference between what you can do in a TV show and what you can do in real life.

There's a certain point where common sense should step in and let you know that stuff like that is impossible. Of course kids can't develop that when they have god awful parents.

Neo Exdeath

Smash Ace
@104: The reason why this kid's death is getting much more attention is the way he died. It's as simple as that. Also, why do you make assumptions about everything GoldShadow and I say? Plus, why are you bringing your views on death in a topic like this? Also, I care about people dying, but I have better things to do than mourn all day.

Frank West

Smash Apprentice
@OP. That's a shame and I blame the parents.

@1048576. No offense, but you strike me as a tard. whether or not you bat an eye when you hear about death is your business, but caring about the death of strangers by no stretch makes you a "self righteous prick". It's common courtesy. I don't think i'd appreciate it if a stranger heard about my death, and reacted with "lolso?". And the reason we're discussing this stranger and not the thousand others, is obviously because the subject was brought up via this thread. Not because we care about this one more than the others.

also "Kid watched cartoon imitated what he saw and died". That's what the public will take away from this news story regardless of inaccuracies. So who gives two sh*ts how they pronounce Naruto? Like seriously.

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
A 10-year old? Yeah, i think the kid's parents never talked to him about imitating the stuff thats on tv.It's their fault.

Smash Master
Why do people address me directly, flame me, and then type as if they've read nothing I posted? I'm not posting the same thing three times. My points remain unrefuted.

sammy p

Smash Lord
Either an event affects your emotions or it doesn't. If it doesn't, that means you don't care. If you care about one stranger and not others, and you get upset with people for not caring about certain strangers, then you're a goddanged hypocrite.

Actually, the fact that there are a bunch of deaths does trivialize each individual death, assuming the deaths aren't different in any relevant/significant way. Let's face it; if this kid was the only kid that ever died, I'd feel pretty bad for him too. In terms of humanity though, I see no need to give his death any more attention thatn anyone elses.

Don't turn this around like I started it. You were the one acting all holier-than-thou when people were laughing at the shoddy journalism instead of being sad about the fact that the kid died.

As for the last three things... c'mon Goldshadow, really? You're smarter than that. It's obvious that people should care more about incidents that affect them than incidents that don't. I care if my car breaks down. I don't care if yours breaks down (although as a utilitarian I'd feel morally obligated to offer whatever help I could that wouldn't come at too much cost to me.)
honestly, we do care.... thats why were still arguing with you i think.
if you dont care, then STOP posting here!!! there really is no point to you calling us self-rightious pricks and then saying we dont care about other peoples deaths(which IS pretty much youve been saying in all of your posts)
and saying that we dont is just ignorant

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Wow I dont think Ive ever seen sammy angry... anyways yeah whatever your numbers are, youve been acting like a ****ing self rightious prick this whole time. Oh you guys dont care about the other deaths. Well you know what we do care. Keep acting like that and pick a hole, jump in it, fill it with water and drown yourself.... yeah thats something to think about....

sammy p

Smash Lord
Wow I dont think Ive ever seen sammy angry... anyways yeah whatever your numbers are, youve been acting like a ****ing self rightious prick this whole time. Oh you guys dont care about the other deaths. Well you know what we do care. Keep acting like that and pick a hole, jump in it, fill it with water and drown yourself.... yeah thats something to think about....
:p thank you

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
People blame too much on parents these days.

I don't think it was the parents' fault, it was the stupidity of the kids. If they weren't minors, they'd probably win a Darwin Award.
Guess it's because it's taboo to laugh at the deaths of children.

GaNoNdOrFgUrL

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2853-0620-9258
well, kids these days **** around and imitate what they see on T.V.
Now, i know thats what kids do, but they go way over the top and get themselves either ending up in the emergency room, or a morgue for God's sake!

this is what happens when unfit parents don't look after their children.
parents seriously need to supervise what their children do, because outliving their own children is a sin. They aren't supposed to bury their children.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I think the point 1048576 is trying to make is that people care about the subject of a child dying
yes.

But they act/post as if this one in particular really affects them whereas various others are somehow less important.This seems to grind his gears.

But he is wrong in a way,even if you truly care you can't spend all your time hung up on every death of every child.The most a civil human can do is reflect upon it for a second and move on respectfully,perhaps sympathizing in whatever form they choose to express or not.

Its crazy to say that if you really care it will always be affecting you because people just have to get on with life and that's a fact.

I think he is just aggressively forwarding his view on the thread as a whole.

BBQTV

Smash Master
I think the point 1048576 is trying to make is that people care about the subject of a child dying
yes.

But they act/post as if this one in particular really affects them whereas various others are somehow less important.This seems to grind his gears.

But he is wrong in a way,even if you truly care you can't spend all your time hung up on every death of every child.The most a civil human can do is reflect upon it for a second and move on respectfully,perhaps sympathizing in whatever form they choose to express or not.

Its crazy to say that if you really care it will always be affecting you because people just have to get on with life and that's a fact.

I think he is just aggressively forwarding his view on the thread as a whole.
i think you won the thread

Smash Master
To all the people who responded to me.

We're still at the point where I assume you care about every kid that dies. The conclusions of this premise are that you are somber 24/7. This is because, by definition, if an event does not affect you emotionally, then you don't care about it. Enough children die to affect your emotional state 24/7 if you actually do care about them, even if you only spend a second on each one.

Logic... why don't more people use it?

Put another way (why do I even feel obligated to do this): If you are not constantly somber, then you do not care about each dying child.

Of course, this all assumes that you are aware that a lot of children die. If you're ignorant of that fact, you prolly can't follow logic too far anyway, which actually may explain a lot.

sammy p

Smash Lord
To all the people who responded to me.

We're still at the point where I assume you care about every kid that dies. The conclusions of this premise are that you are somber 24/7. This is because, by definition, if an event does not affect you emotionally, then you don't care about it. Enough children die to affect your emotional state 24/7 if you actually do care about them, even if you only spend a second on each one.

Logic... why don't more people use it?

Put another way (why do I even feel obligated to do this): If you are not constantly somber, then you do not care about each dying child.

Of course, this all assumes that you are aware that a lot of children die. If you're ignorant of that fact, you prolly can't follow logic too far anyway, which actually may explain a lot.
ok well. this i think is the last time im gonna argue because im tired of this and really dont like argueing all that much.:p

we have already said this though. yes, a lot of children DO die, and of course we care about them, but why would we let that control our entire lives?
its like if aa parent or a grandfather or family friends had just passed. the most you can do linger on ti for a couple days at most and then just move on. you may care about them, but there really is NOTHING that you can do aabout the situation anymore.
now back to the kids. we may not know them, so i guess we can not care SOO much but still acknowledge that they died and feel sorrow, but then again, there is nothing that you can do for them, so all you can ever do is reflect for a few seconds.
that is really the best way i can put this in civil and kind terms.....
haha ok so if i still didnt answer your questions 1048576(which i dont thnk i did actually) well then.... soryy, but all i can say is i think i really do care about aa childs death when i hear of one.... its a really terrible thing to hear

Top Bottom