• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Dedede Smash Ultimate Changes Analysis by Soul Train

Necro'lic

Smash Ace

Note this is not my video. This was just released today by Soul Train and I think you guys might want to see it. :)

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Oh man I let out such a gross cackle once he mentioned that Dedede is even better at edgeguarding.

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
Oh man I let out such a gross cackle once he mentioned that Dedede is even better at edgeguarding.
TBF, everyone should be better at edgeguarding, which means Dedede will have a harder time getting back despite his godly recovery. It seems the word Dedede needs to embody here is "control". Since we have a neutral now, as long as we keep it, we will be able to steal stage control with Gordo and pressure them endlessly at the ledge. Unfortunately, they can do the same to us.

xDrippyx

Smash Rookie
Maybe I'm being hopeful, but it sure looks to me like his jab is way better. Look at how close Mewtwo is when it comes out, not to mention it looks like it's faster. Imagine Dedede actually having a jab that you can use like a jab.

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna miss his old bair. I liked the hitbox and how you could float in the air and drop down for a quick punish.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I'm gonna miss his old bair. I liked the hitbox and how you could float in the air and drop down for a quick punish.
Dedede's back aerial in Smash 4 didn't actually match the animation; it only covered directly behind Dedede and didn't hit opponents above or below him. This new back aerial in Ultimate looks like it's gonna be the same, only with less landing lag.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Small note: Smash 4 Bair could hit people below him, but the target had to practically be clipping into Dedede to get the hitbox to collide/interact. Suffice to say, ledge trump setups with bair were nigh impossible and borderline impractical because of this.

See above. MamaLuigi is 100% right otherwise, though. You are not going to be hitting anyone directly above or below him with this.

One of the big things I hope Ultimate fixes about the character are those hitboxes for his normals. They're absolutely atrocious in Smash 4.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Small note: Smash 4 Bair could hit people below him, but the target had to practically be clipping into Dedede to get the hitbox to collide/interact. Suffice to say, ledge trump setups with bair were nigh impossible and borderline impractical because of this.

See above. MamaLuigi is 100% right otherwise, though. You are not going to be hitting anyone directly above or below him with this.

One of the big things I hope Ultimate fixes about the character are those hitboxes for his normals. They're absolutely atrocious in Smash 4.

Smooth Criminal
Down tilt and up smash have similar problems where the hitbox doesn't match the animation; he'll just whiff opponents directly in front of him with down tilt and miss smaller characters like Kirby and Jigglypuff with up smash, even if they are in the animation. Jab is also another weird attack that isn't exactly safe at close range, and hit opponents can sometimes pop behind you. These three issues being fixed would do wonders for him.

Honestly though, the fact that Dedede is gonna have an actual neutral with that new back aerial, alongside other changes such as Gordo spitting and Inhale being able to swallow up and spit out projectiles, gives me hope that they're going through his moveset, seeing what doesn't work, and fixing it. We already see this in characters like Little Mac, who got heavy changes to his Straight Lunge, and Dr. Mario, who now has a down aerial that spikes. If some of Dedede's most glaring issues and quirks can be patched up, which seems to be happening for other characters, I think there's a chance the king can reclaim his throne.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Down tilt and up smash have similar problems where the hitbox doesn't match the animation; he'll just whiff opponents directly in front of him with down tilt and miss smaller characters like Kirby and Jigglypuff with up smash, even if they are in the animation. Jab is also another weird attack that isn't exactly safe at close range, and hit opponents can sometimes pop behind you. These three issues being fixed would do wonders for him.

Honestly though, the fact that Dedede is gonna have an actual neutral with that new back aerial, alongside other changes such as Gordo spitting and Inhale being able to swallow up and spit out projectiles, gives me hope that they're going through his moveset, seeing what doesn't work, and fixing it. We already see this in characters like Little Mac, who got heavy changes to his Straight Lunge, and Dr. Mario, who now has a down aerial that spikes. If some of Dedede's most glaring issues and quirks can be patched up, which seems to be happening for other characters, I think there's a chance the king can reclaim his throne.
You pretty much nailed it. Jab being unsafe on hit made me furious at times. Huge bugbear of mine. It sucks when you sit there mentally flipping a coin as to whether something you did successfully pans out or not.

And thanks for expanding on that a little more for those that didn't know, btw. I forget sometimes not everybody is as intimately knowledgeable on stuff in-game, and I end up leaving out explanations on why things are the way they are.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:
Top Bottom