• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Dedede

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hong

The Strongest
Dedede, from the moment I played Kirby's Adventure as a wee one, has always, always, always been my favourite villain*. I knew I could count on the creator of the character to present him in a way that does the character justice.

*Was only ever a real villain once, and more of an anti-hero or victim otherwise. Don't have to tell me!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Anyone else notice that where it normally says "For more info on _____, visit the official website for ____", under the character, it says nothing for Dedede and Triple Deluxe? This probably means either:

1. The website isn't ready (?)
2. He wants to wait until the weekend when the game is being released
3. He's being modest Sakurai again and doesn't wanna blatantly promote his own game
Odd, there is actually a link in the UK website though.
Anyway, I'm happy to see King Dedede back. :)

Not that I was doubting him though.

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Loving the personality that Dedede's been given. Reminds me of Right Back at Ya Dedede.

The only character that beats Dedede expression-wise is Luigi, I believe. Good thing, too, because I love using Dedede.

Also, comparison from the General Smash 4 Discussion thread:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Didn't see many episodes of Kirby Right Back At Ya before 4Kids stopped airing it....

I loved all the episodes I did see though. I've seen a few dubbed episodes on Youtube, hoping I'll be able to find more.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
I tried going back and watching the ones I hadn't seen, but I couldn't find them anywhere :(

Aaaand 4kids...they made One Piece look bad...

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I'm so glad Dedede is back. He was pretty much expected, but he was one of my favorites in Brawl.

And I just LOVE how he looks in this game. He's so much more expressive and colorful than he was in Brawl, and he really resembles his game/anime version. The sweat when using his Jet Hammer is a nice touch. :)

Yams

Smash Journeyman
In honor of my favorite Smash character, King Dedede, being revealed, I decided to make a quick sculpt of him.

If I'm not busy, I'll try to have him baked and painted by tomorrow for all to see.
This is long overdue:

He still needs some touching up, but over all I'm really happy with him.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
And so the King lives once again! Nice sculpt, looks like something to brag about during Smash meetups and tourneys.
Also, dat gif.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hey, Dedede fans! I'm working on a project that you might have heard of called Project: Thank You Sakurai! (If you haven't heard of it, you should check it out.) and I'm currently doing a poll to determine which characters should be on the virtual card that we're making for him. I would appreciate it if you guys would check it out here and vote for who you like. Currently, the King is pretty high and looks like he's a lock, but voting for him couldn't hurt.

The Suit-less Ace

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2234-7574-2599
So are they going to keep that chain grab that I always attempt to do but fail in Brawl and Project M?

Loving the personality that Dedede's been given. Reminds me of Right Back at Ya Dedede.

The only character that beats Dedede expression-wise is Luigi, I believe. Good thing, too, because I love using Dedede.

Also, comparison from the General Smash 4 Discussion thread:

That's such a huge difference. :eek: Also now that I think of it, Brawl Dedede looks like a penguin with a hammer. The Jet in his hammer also looks much more detailed, I really like it.

AquaNinja

Smash Cadet
I am so glad that King D3 has returned. He is one of my three and a half mains in Brawl (the others are Meta Knight, Pikachu and Kirby, well kind of Kirby.... wait all three Kirby characters?!), and is extremely fun to play with his powerful attacks and chaingrabs. It's nice to see they are giving him these "fabulous" expressions (they are awesome), and it really shows that D3 is a unique character. I hope they don't change him too much in the new game, he was an already fairly balanced character. Maybe tone down the chaingrabs a bit though.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Check out the Dedede palette of the new character in skullgirls, Big Band:
Just thought I'd share because it looks cool (and the palette references in this game are awesome).

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
He throws gordo's only instead of waddle dee's and waddle doo's... I'm going to have to get used to that... it seems the gordo's can't be thrown very far and that is what I was using a lot with the waddle dee's to assure my recovery... There's nothing new to Dedede besides this nerf right? I'm hoping his OP hammer smash frwrd is still there.

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
Classic Skullgirls palette references ♥
That's one of the reasons I love Lab Zero so much. They take fan service to the extreme! I always use the Dedede or Gato colors when playing as Ben.

He throws gordo's only instead of waddle dee's and waddle doo's... I'm going to have to get used to that... it seems the gordo's can't be thrown very far and that is what I was using a lot with the waddle dee's to assure my recovery... There's nothing new to Dedede besides this nerf right? I'm hoping his OP hammer smash frwrd is still there.
The only major change as far as I'm aware. I was so good at comboing Waddle Dees, too... :202: And it really gave Dedede an edge when in turtle mode. I remember a few different occasions where someone decided to fire a bunch of arrows or bombs in succession and I was able to throw Waddles around, knowing I'd get a Gordo eventually. Now it's a close proximity move and loses the advantageous element of surprise. I'm happy he gets a reliable strong "projectile" -- sad to see Waddle Doo stun waves go, though, those opened up some major opportunities.

His side smash is one of the reasons I love him so much. So powerful, and rather vital to his game. Can't imagine Sakurai removing something so essential. EDIT: Oh, Sakurai's also posted a pic of the day where he confirms it's still one of the strongest side smash attacks!

Last edited:

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
Yes... his forard smash is so satisfying... slow, but really reliable... it has great knockback when slightly hit, huge power when fully hit. perfect imo

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I was going through my old photobucket, cleaning out the garbage (wow I was terrible as a teenager), and I found this:

Just thought I'd post it and say I'm excited to play as King DeDeDe in Smash 4. I love the heavy characters!

Sen. Sawft

Professional Laundry Folder
NNID
Sawft
3DS FC
4940-6793-4197
This forum proves that there are at least a few people out there who like King Dedede.
That's a few more than I thought.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
I mained him in Brawl and love his power, chain grab, multiple jumps and the fact he's a heavy character. I'm glad he throws Gordos only now, but since Pit and Kirby have new Final Smashes, Dedede is the next in line that deserves a new one. Masked Dedede is the obvious choice for the new one. Also I think the Jet Hammer should change to be similar to what it is in Project M.

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Recently decided to pick up Dedede as my "fine I'll play a high tier" character because Falco was locked in the game I was playing on... Ended up becoming my main outside of competitive play as well. I really like his chain grabs, recovery, heaviness, all that stuff and I'm really hoping that he stays as good as he is in Sm4sh.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Recently decided to pick up Dedede as my "fine I'll play a high tier" character because Falco was locked in the game I was playing on... Ended up becoming my main outside of competitive play as well. I really like his chain grabs, recovery, heaviness, all that stuff and I'm really hoping that he stays as good as he is in Sm4sh.
I can't see Sakurai nerfing Dedede for no reason. Meta Knight on the other hand...

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Looking forward to King Dedede. He was my go-to character in Brawl.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
After playing Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe, I'm now convinced that Dedede's Fair needs to be modified so that he uses a tambourine. Wouldn't it to be nice to see some representation from Dedede's first, and so far only starring role? :chuckle:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
The only thing I really hate is that there's nothing relating to Masked Dedede.

That... and his godawful "quacks!" Why does Meta Overrated get to speak, yet the king is reduced to making weird noises out of his pork trap?!

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
So... been watching ZeRo's stream for a bit, and it's looking like Dedede is as good - possibly even better - than he was in Brawl. The Gordos are weaker than before to make up for them being the only thing that's thrown but they bounce around so they're less predictable and while he can't chain-grab anymore the down-throw is still useful to combo into an aerial instead. That's awesome to see :D

Last edited:

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
I haven't posted in ages, just lurking during the lead-up hype to Smash 4, but I'm really interested by the changes to Dedede. A lot of his bread and butter standards have been removed or heavily altered, but his new playstyle doesn't seem bad at all. Waddles are no longer with us, we can't chaingrab like we used to, and many of his aerials are totally different.On the other hand, D3 is as heavy and powerful as ever, with great new utility moves and combo abilities. His Back Air, for example, doesn't look as good as a drop-down move or Wall of Pain, but it is more powerful and will probably make a great kill move. Looking forward to discovering more about the King's new style in the coming weeks.

Also, this video is an example of how NOT to play Dedede. It was the first battle footage of him I saw for Sm4sh and I almost cried. Gordos are not to be mindlessly spammed.

Last edited:

iiGGYxD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiGGYxD
3DS FC
0447-7543-7353
I thought I'd post a set I had against FOW's DHD here. I used ddd in project m and I LOVE him in this game. I don't see him being too popular of a character so i thought there might not be too much coverage on what this character can do. Let me know what you think! I did use megaman the first match of this set, the last 2 are with DDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom