• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't wish to perpetuate this debacle any longer, but I feel that one last thing needs to be said: there is a real difference between the improperly-expressed disappointment and resentment felt at one point by our community and the real-world bigotry which the poster I responded to had expressed. Furthermore, even as joke it is in poor taste to compare the two.

Shifting back to an appropriate topic of conversation, I'm cautiously optimistic regarding K.Rool's chances this time around, as the odds seem to tilting into our favor. Nevertheless, I am also trying to avoid setting myself up for disappointment, so my position at this point is more of a casual observer of the information presented to us. Hopefully, though, the ballot did what we needed it to and proved the King's persistent popularity and support to Smash's developers.
I'm not saying yall tried to murder people or anything but it's a legitimate criticism considering how it's getting popular with **** like Charlottesville. And my point was that this place absolutely isn't welcoming, the meltdowns people had were ****ing embarrassing and anyone still filled with those kinds of emotions should be better people

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
In my defense, I've gotten over it years ago and hardly attacked the Ballot Winner and lucky Fire Emblem consolation addition.

Just patiently waited for several years since I know that there is always a next time for Smash character.

Coming from a Takamaru fan that dealt with the dreaded Assist Trophy reveal.

Jakor

Smash Ace
King K. Rool was my most wanted character for Smash 4, and now I'm really hoping he finally gets his time to shine in the upcoming game. I feel the Donkey Kong series is severely underrepped in Smash Bros., especially compared to other series. I think Sakurai is definitely aware of K. Rool's massive popularity now, so I'm hoping when the game gets a new trailer at E3, K. Rool is revealed at that moment to bring in the HYPE.

EdwardSponge

Smash Apprentice
So looks like you guys have been given a second chance for your King. Here's hoping you guys get your wish granted this time, even if I'm not supporting K. Rool like I used to.
Melee was the first chance,
Brawl was the second,
Sm4sh was third,
Ballot was fourth.

This is our 5th chance.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Melee was the first chance,
Brawl was the second,
Sm4sh was third,
Ballot was fourth.

This is our 5th chance.
I don’t really count Melee; if Diddy wasn’t in, K. Rool wasn’t going to be.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Same reason we did not get Banjo Kazooie. Microsoft.

Microsoft thought that they would recieve the DK franchise by purchasing Rare, but all assets to DK is under Nintendo. So, they lost, and the confusion did so that Neither Diddy or Banjo came for Melee.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Y'all ever thought of. . .y'know

Not having your group's name not be an acronym for the KKK?

Maybe?

I mean, good luck yo you and all, but now is the time to make any changes while speculation is still ramping up before things get too stuck.
:061:
Considering the toxicity that festers in gamer culture, if anything, it should attract more people until they find out "Oh they're not Nazis" lol

2018 release? Am gonna be honest here, that doesn't bode too well for King K.Rool. If there's a new appearance of him he might become DLC down the line.
The costume is key, we wait and see.

Yeah you guys sure aren't a hateful community, you oh so welcomed Bayonetta and Corrin and TOTALLY didn't go absolute ape ****
This is garbage, but I'm going to wade through it anyway.

You'll find that the frustration and annoyance at the time was not around not getting K.Rool and nothing against those particular characters. But the fact that we received yet another FE character and some lack of clarity around the ballot process. That plus the underwhelming results. You wouldn't find too many K.Rool, Ridley, Bandanne Dee,etc fans annoyed at losing out to Rayman, Inklings, Bomberman,etc getting in over their preferred characters. They are/were heavy hitters who have/had a lot going for them.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

You'll find that the frustration and annoyance at the time was not around not getting K.Rool and nothing against those particular characters. But the fact that we received yet another FE character and some lack of clarity around the ballot process. That plus the underwhelming results. You wouldn't find too many K.Rool, Ridley, Bandanne Dee,etc fans annoyed at losing out to Rayman, Inklings, Bomberman,etc getting in over their preferred characters. They are/were heavy hitters who have/had a lot going for them.

It was an unfortunate experience in “expectation vs. reality” as well. As you said, lack of clarity on the Ballot process/overall results made it seem like Bayonetta came out of literally nowhere, which was contrary to *everything* we had convinced ourselves of.

It was a rough road for us Kutthroats, and some vicious things were said, but nothing with any real hate behind it. Just built up frustration.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
If anything about Bayo was "toxic", it's the debate that raged around her after release. People have a right to feel what they do about a ballot; that in no way excuses toxic behavior, but let's be honest; Smash speculation always brings out both the best and the worst in people.

It's a sign of passion. Maybe people shouldn't express it through raw vitriol and stupid memes, but really the K.Rool fans didn't, in my experience at least, act any more toxic then most other non-picked character fanbases in the Ballot.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Well I don't know what else to tell you

With Bayonetta, it was a niche character whose games doesn't really sell well winning an unclear poll due to "Europe" (because we all know how Nintendo loves to pay attention to THAT continent) apparently

With Corrin, straight up badly written character from a franchise that was bloated. (Tilte of First Manakete Lord is wasted on him)

I mean, there's a reason someone like Ryu didn't catch much flack.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
User was warned for this post

So you weren't being embarrasingly rude because you didn't get the toy you wanted but instead were embarrasingly rude because you were offered a toy you didn't want... Lmao there's no justification for the toxic behaivour that happened here and you know it. I don't care how much you like a fictional crocodile, that **** is just bad. "But I didn't expect Bayonetta so I was mad!" That's on you for putting your hopes so high in what you wanted to the point you didn't notice the silent majority

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, I wasn't upset or angry about Bayonetta and Corrin, and I did not throw a fit about it. I may have been shocked and shaken, maybe, but I lived through it in the end.

Though as far as anyone else goes, I can understand why some people would have been upset. I do remember hearing that Corrin and Bayonetta were chosen before the ballot ended. If that is true, I wished they had given the ballot more time before choosing the winners from there.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So you weren't being embarrasingly rude because you didn't get the toy you wanted but instead were embarrasingly rude because you were offered a toy you didn't want... Lmao there's no justification for the toxic behaivour that happened here and you know it. I don't care how much you like a fictional crocodile, that **** is just bad. "But I didn't expect Bayonetta so I was mad!" That's on you for putting your hopes so high in what you wanted to the point you didn't notice the silent majority
I think you should stop. It’s already been acknowledged people were rude, but comparing them to actual hate groups who harm real people is an unacceptable comparison and there’s no excuse for *that*.

The Smash community is nothing if not passionate, and when people are passionate about something emotions run high and unfortunate things are said.

I (and I’m sure most of us) here would appreciate the Smash 5 speculation train not starting off by pointing out how ****ty people were two years ago, especially when it doesn’t apply to everyone here.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think you should stop. It’s already been acknowledged people were rude, but comparing them to actual hate groups who harm real people is an unacceptable comparison and there’s no excuse for *that*.

The Smash community is nothing if not passionate, and when people are passionate about something emotions run high and unfortunate things are said.

I (and I’m sure most of us) here would appreciate the Smash 5 speculation train not starting off by pointing out how ****ty people were two years ago, especially when it doesn’t apply to everyone here.
I'm not saying yall tried to murder people or anything but it's a legitimate criticism considering how it's getting popular with **** like Charlottesville. And my point was that this place absolutely isn't welcoming, the meltdowns people had were ****ing embarrassing and anyone still filled with those kinds of emotions should be better people
Gee it's almost like I already said something about this. K.Rool's great but just don't overreact again unless you want people to say K.Rool is bad because of his fans

Yeah, nah.

You're just conveniently remembering a few OTT reactions from a small group at the time and tarring a wider and larger group of people with the same brush lols. Aka, using selective memory to back up your pre conceived ideas and thoughts.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Gee it's almost like I already said something about this. K.Rool's great but just don't overreact again unless you want people to say K.Rool is bad because of his fans
I really feel like it’s in poor form to come into a thread and tell people how to act when you’ve been the one instigating.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Well I don't know what else to tell you

With Bayonetta, it was a niche character whose games doesn't really sell well winning an unclear poll due to "Europe" (because we all know how Nintendo loves to pay attention to THAT continent) apparently

With Corrin, straight up badly written character from a franchise that was bloated. (Tilte of First Manakete Lord is wasted on him)

I mean, there's a reason someone like Ryu didn't catch much flack.
Is Bayo really niche? Sure her games don't sell that well (altho Bayo 1 broke over a million and 2 was on a dying console, which ain't all that bad for a niche genre) but Bayonetta herself is far above her own games. She's notoriously popular, well known, pushed by popular gaming figureheads like Maximilian Dood, and even outright iconic within a lot of gaming circles, which I'd wager were the main audience that did vote in the ballot. You don't have to play her games to know/like her. It's not too surprising she managed to place high enough to get picked, because let's face it, the obvious winners weren't the realistic characters. Like hell, she's getting a third game for a good reason.

And idk where you got the idea that she got flak, it was only within smaller, dedicated Smash groups like here, really. I've seen nothing but celebration for her inclusion personally.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah, nah.

You're just conveniently remembering a few OTT reactions from a small group at the time and tarring a wider and larger group of people with the same brush lols. Aka, using selective memory to back up your pre conceived ideas and thoughts.
So I'm being selective because people here acted like babies and you peeps aren't by saying "Well it was justified anyway because we didn't believe the winner wasn't what we wanted"? Besides, the fact multiple people defended that and you're going "THE BALLOT WAS UNCLEAR BECAUSE IT DIDN'T SHOW WHAT I WANTED" or your inability to recognize how awful the results being made public would be not just for online fans but for potential surprises here really says enough

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yes, yes you are.

Glad we can agree on something!

Ta ta
Holy **** lmao not even caring that you're a hypocrite. Also, considering people seem to believe I pointed the KKK name similarity and voiced concern, I wonder if y'all will spin this to 'prove' how terrible non K.Rool fans are. Cause I actually DO hope he makes it in

Not interested in going over it, its like talking to a brick wall with some peeps.

Aaaaand she blocked me, lol. Says it all.

Anyway, onto more important and relevant matters.

I mean, why not both? The Zelda Series got 4 new characters in melee.
It was around the same time as the Rare buyout, the DKC series was in a funny transition phase which had an effect on potential DK content in Smash. Other series were in much stronger positions, content wise.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Really happy The Inklings got in Splatoon and Splatoon 2 I adore them so seeing the Inklings was great.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Agreed, and what was so cool is that both Inkling and K. Rool both got a Mii Costume. Those, alongside Geno and the Skull Kid mask were the only ones I actually purchased.

im not a fan of the inklings at all but im glad they got in, they earned the spot and were not just thrown in because they were new.....their games actually did really well and got alot of fans so thats good on them and i hope all of the splatoon fans are happy.

hopefully we can experience the same happiness eventually

Last edited:
im not a fan of the inklings at all but im glad they got in, they earned the spot and were not just thrown in because they were new.....their games actually did really well and got alot of fans so thats good on them and i hope all of the splatoon fans are happy.

hopefully we can experience the same happiness eventually
Agreed, well deserving and a big draw for the game. A nice start roster-wise.

Speaking of a big draw, a potential Smash release around the same time as the fully functioning Nintendo online system gets going would help with boosting subscriptions.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I feel like that's part of the reason they're going ahead with a 2018 release. Granted, I'm sure they've been hard at work at both things, but delaying the online until later this year and releasing Smash with it seems like the perfect plan.

D

Deleted member

If people can read your group's name as KKK then it's pretty logical to change it so that people don't read it as such no?
Or is that too logical?
Except that acronyms includes the first letter of every word and the title of the thread makes the acronym "KRKK". Common sense would dictate that no, people would not read it as KKK.

If this was a problem, it would have been mentioned as soon as BKupa666 brought up the name, not long after he made the first thread supporting K. Rool.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
K Rool managed impressive scores on RTC, and is currently the highest rated character!

He is the first though so that might be a factor, but congrats on the scores.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Except that acronyms includes the first letter of every word and the title of the thread makes the acronym "KRKK". Common sense would dictate that no, people would not read it as KKK.

If this was a problem, it would have been mentioned as soon as BKupa666 brought up the name, not long after he made the first thread supporting K. Rool.
Is this a bad time to say that I wish the title had "King" in it? KKRKK!

PAIN! You made me a...believer....BELIEVER

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I won't be as active as I was during the Smash 4 days, but logged back in to say I still support K. Rool. I think the Mii Fighter costume was a sign in the right direction. Hopefully we will soon experience the same blissful joy the Inkling supporters experienced.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Glad to see the Kampaign still going strong, here's hoping our favorite kremling finally has his day.

I'm still hopefully optimistic thanks to that Mii costume.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
How ironic. One of our greatest moments of shock and disappointment is now a source of hope!

This calls for more DKC

Top Bottom