• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Hey, all. I wanted to give an update-of-sorts. I'm not going to be an active poster for this pre-game period. I've made my grievances known with the general state of Smash speculation and on a personal level, there's also illness in my family that for the indefinite future is going to take much of my time and energy to handle. It's still heartwarming to see a lot of the old Kutthroat guard coming back for one more round, and I'll be watching mostly from afar, keeping my fingers crossed we'll finally have our time in the sun. (I'm very 50/50 on K. Rool himself but if all goes well, a new DK game trailer where he's the villain will transition right into a Smash trailer starring him at E3, ala what we just saw with the Inklings).

One thing I wanted to note, given how things ended less than stellar with the ballot, there are going to be (and already have been) people coming in here exclusively to talk trash or make "salt" jabs, especially if K. Rool's not in again. In my absence, my ask is that everyone thinks carefully about, but doesn't whitewash what they post. Don't fall for obvious bait, flame or make personal insults, but if there are development choices you personally don't like, say so. A smart idea is to post explaining why you don't like that choice and/or share your idea of how that choice could have been better, rather than just saying it sucks.

The people who resented K. Rool not being in Retro's games and Smash thus far and spoke up are literally the only reason we're here now with a costume and a remote chance to bring a cool character back into the mainstream. Ask yourself if that ever would have happened if a majority of fans in 2010 told the dissidents to "Shut up and enjoy the content in Returns" or "Retro worked so hard on it." The way I see it K. Rool (and Ridley and Isaac) stands alone amid a newcomer pool of near-exclusively advertisement characters, and there may come a time where people need to get loud to avoid getting lost in the crowd (or, say, if Dixie gets added first and people start calling remaining K. Rool fans entitled for wanting "another DK Rep"). Don't pipe down, but mind the noise you make.

We've come a long way as a group and despite the twists as turns, the shared memories of pushing this cool character collectively will always be fond ones, at least to me. Until whenever next time is, let the memory-making continue.
Spot on.

Good luck with your situation and I think I speak for many people when I say I hope you pop in from time to time regardless, because you have far too much value to not have around.

The point about standing up for the character, calling out BS fairly and not bowing to pressure is so true.

Lets hope for everyones sake we don't have wade through any more of that rubbish again and that you return, unexpectedly for a green and scaly Smash related reveal!

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
Hey all, so do you think we cried loud enough last time to get our fat Kroc. They put the Mii costume in the last one so they have clearly taken notice and other then Inkling and Arms characters, there isn't many new first party characters left to choose from.

D

Deleted member

Dr. Zoidberg? Whoop whoop whoop! Sorry about that back on topic both Funky Kong and King K. Rool sign me up.

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
Here's hoping K.Rool gets in this time. Although, I wont lie, I'd be fine with any new DK character. Dixie, Cranky, Funky, I'd take DK Jr. The series is long overdue for a new character.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, if you don't mind, here are some lyrics I rearranged for fun and thought would be nice to share with you all, if that is okay. It is about K. Rool and his fans, and K. Rool himself wanting to be in Smash, and it is based on another song.

K. Rool: I never thought my own fans essential
Their efforts seemed to be in vain
But maybe they've a glimmer of potential
If allied to my power and brain
I know that your powers of retention
Are as thick as a gorilla's hide
But thick as you are, pay attention
My words are a matter of pride
It's clear from your showing confusion
That this isn't yet to be clear
But we're talking kings and successions
That my time is really coming near!
So prepare for a chance of a lifetime
Be prepared for a new time to come
It's time for a new age
Of cruelty and rampage
Fan 1: And what's in it for us?
K. Rool: Just listen now, you must
I know it sounds awkward
But you'll get the reward
When at last I am finally in Smash
And injustice deliciously squared
Be prepared!

Fan 1: Yeah, be prepared! We'll be prepared! ...for what?
K. Rool: For the death of DK!
Fan 1: What? Is he sick?
K. Rool: No, fool, I'm planning to join Smash, and kill him then.
Fan 2: Great idea! Who needs a champ?
Fans: No champ, no champ, na na na na na na!
K. Rool: Idiots! There will be a champ!
Fan 1: Hey, but you said...
K. Rool: I will be champ! Stick with me, and you'll never be upset again!
Fans: Long live the champ! Long live the champ! Long live the champ!

Fans: It's great that we'll soon be connected
With a champ who'll be all-time adored
K. Rool: Of course, I must say, you're expected
To take play as me when you're on board
The chaos will come in all sizes
And though I'm the head guy, you see
The point that I must emphasize is
You won't have some fun without me!
K. Rool and fans: So prepare for the fight of the century (Oooh!)
Be prepared for the wildest brawl (Oooh...La! La! La!)
A lot of good fighting (We'll have him)
And some deadly biting (We said him)
Decades of denial (It'll be sweet)
Is simply why I'll (What a treat)
Be champ undisputed (Ahhhhhhhhh...)
Respected, saluted (Ahhhhhhhh...)
And praised for the marvel I am (...aaaaaaaah!)
Yes, my claws and ambitions are bared
Be prepared!
Yes, our claws and ambitions are bared
Be prepared!

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I agree. Considering there weren't any new DK reps in Smash 4, I think it would be more than fair for two additional reps to be included in this one.
I don't know what constitutes as fair.

If being a high selling franchise, with completely iconic characters, a unique series of species, and a steady fanbase over decades has anything to with it, then we are back to DK needing four new characters in the last game (not gonna mention other series anymore). Instead it got the shaft.

But sometimes the shaft is good. It comes right before the head. And then we get the big monkey.

I kind of lost of train of thought.

BKupa666 BKupa666 I will miss you my internet buddy. We will keep your wise words in order.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I was a member a few years back, and now it's time to help the kutthroats again!
That's the spirit! It's good to have you back!

BKupa666 BKupa666 Sorry to hear about your troubles, man. Hopefully, things will become better for you and your family over time, and hopefully we will see you again in the future, especially if K. Rool is announced.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
BKupa666 BKupa666 I hope all turns out well with your family. Take all the time you need, though we will miss you while you're gone.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
I had a thought about the artwork that Newcomers got by guest artists from their own franchises in Smash 4. If they continue this, trend and I really hope they do, who would you want to see be the guest artist for K. Rool? Someone from Rare or Retro? And what would the art style even be like? The prerendered art style of the classic trilogy? Just wasn't sure what the course of action would be for this and was curious if anyone had any thoughts?

Kaptain K. Roolenstein

Smash Apprentice
Long time no see Kremlings!

I'm ready for round 3, and I believe that our past campaigning for K. Rool, his Mii costume, the fighter ballot and the recent love the DK series is getting makes his chances stronger than last time. I'm not gonna go around saying that he's a sure thing, anything can happen. Even if he's not in, it's still a win enough for me to see K. Rool get more exposure, be on people's minds during the build up and be actively supported by the fans. In that regard, we succeeded the last time and we can do it again. Excited that Inkling made it in. That was a character I wanted so this new game is off to a good start so far. I'm probably going to be on the sidelines more than last time but I'll always check in to see you guys.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I had a thought about the artwork that Newcomers got by guest artists from their own franchises in Smash 4. If they continue this, trend and I really hope they do, who would you want to see be the guest artist for K. Rool? Someone from Rare or Retro? And what would the art style even be like? The prerendered art style of the classic trilogy? Just wasn't sure what the course of action would be for this and was curious if anyone had any thoughts?
Give me some Retro art of K. Rool. The studio need to learn how to make him after all.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Well, as of DKC2, they did make pre-rendered models for Mario, Link, and Yoshi. An art piece of DK and K. Rool standing across from eachother on either side of Gangplank Galleon with Mario, Link, Yoshi, and a bunch of Smash Characters in a pre rendered style would be pretty neat. Diddy would probably have to be there too, but the extra love letter would probably be a pre-rendered re-imaging of random Smash characters, including many way before or after the DKC era, with pre-renders of WFT, Rosalina, Bayonetta, Robin, etc.

D

Deleted member

Well, if you don't mind, here are some lyrics I rearranged for fun and thought would be nice to share with you all, if that is okay. It is about K. Rool and his fans, and K. Rool himself wanting to be in Smash, and it is based on another song.

K. Rool: I never thought my own fans essential
Their efforts seemed to be in vain
But maybe they've a glimmer of potential
If allied to my power and brain
I know that your powers of retention
Are as thick as a gorilla's hide
But thick as you are, pay attention
My words are a matter of pride
It's clear from your showing confusion
That this isn't yet to be clear
But we're talking kings and successions
That my time is really coming near!
So prepare for a chance of a lifetime
Be prepared for a new time to come
It's time for a new age
Of cruelty and rampage
Fan 1: And what's in it for us?
K. Rool: Just listen now, you must
I know it sounds awkward
But you'll get the reward
When at last I am finally in Smash
And injustice deliciously squared
Be prepared!

Fan 1: Yeah, be prepared! We'll be prepared! ...for what?
K. Rool: For the death of DK!
Fan 1: What? Is he sick?
K. Rool: No, fool, I'm planning to join Smash, and kill him then.
Fan 2: Great idea! Who needs a champ?
Fans: No champ, no champ, na na na na na na!
K. Rool: Idiots! There will be a champ!
Fan 1: Hey, but you said...
K. Rool: I will be champ! Stick with me, and you'll never be upset again!
Fans: Long live the champ! Long live the champ! Long live the champ!

Fans: It's great that we'll soon be connected
With a champ who'll be all-time adored
K. Rool: Of course, I must say, you're expected
To take play as me when you're on board
The chaos will come in all sizes
And though I'm the head guy, you see
The point that I must emphasize is
You won't have some fun without me!
K. Rool and fans: So prepare for the fight of the century (Oooh!)
Be prepared for the wildest brawl (Oooh...La! La! La!)
A lot of good fighting (We'll have him)
And some deadly biting (We said him)
Decades of denial (It'll be sweet)
Is simply why I'll (What a treat)
Be champ undisputed (Ahhhhhhhhh...)
Respected, saluted (Ahhhhhhhh...)
And praised for the marvel I am (...aaaaaaaah!)
Yes, my claws and ambitions are bared
Be prepared!
Yes, our claws and ambitions are bared
Be prepared!

What do you guys think?
It's great feels like something Kibg K. Rool would sing and hypes our devotion to the crazy crocodile just perfectly. Good job!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's a bit hard for me to think of Wolf in the big Three. Mewtwo, Ridley, and K Rool were massive antagonists to their series. While Fox may fit this bill, and I do want him to return, I wouldn't give him quite the same gravitas. Of course that is personal. At that point, I feel it might as well be Toad; even if not an antagonist, he is easily arguable to be the biggest missing Nintendo owned character.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I will say it's sad seeing so many old faces return to the Boards only for our brother BKupa666 BKupa666 to have to say goodbye.

He led the Krew since I first became an active poster. We'll miss you, oh Kaptain my Kaptain.

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
Please let the King finally join Smash, he's the one character I would love to see finally be playable.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Wolf taking over as Big 3 is fair. I can go on with that.
Wouldn't an Arms character be part of the big three? Are we talking about likelihood here or what the fans want?

I'm surprised that some people don't think an Arms representative is incredibly likely. Arms wasn't a failure, it's just being compared to Splatoon all the time so of course it's going to look worse. If you look at it by it's own merits it's a huge frontrunner for Smash.

Last edited:

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
I will say it's sad seeing so many old faces return to the Boards only for our brother BKupa666 BKupa666 to have to say goodbye.

He led the Krew since I first became an active poster. We'll miss you, oh Kaptain my Kaptain.
Probably not best to quote a poem where the captain is revealed to have died XD

Last edited:

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
I took it as a reference to the teacher Mr. Keating in Dead Poets Society.
I figured, I was just making a bit of dark humor considering the original context of the poem (Though its use in Dead Poets Society is also pretty chilling considering what'd happen to Robin Williams...**** I just made myself sad :( )

Though there are couple apt words that can apply here from the poem should K Rool actually get in:
O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done,
The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won.

...Sorry, I just had to go poetry-geek-mode XD

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Hello Kutthroats! It has been a while, but after seeing the Direct the other day, I guess it's time to hop onto another hype train for King K. Rool. I still see some familiar faces from the Smash 4 (even even Brawl era for a few of you) in this thread :)

D

Deleted member

https://discord.gg/GGdExkB

Here is the K. Rool discord again in case people want to join. It's great to have the gang back and this is a great place to discuss our Kremling King without the constraints of Smashboards' rules.

xWolfiex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xWolfie55x
3DS FC
2982-1721-1850
For those who don't me, I was a Kutthroat member back 3 years ago. I want to rejoin and support group again.

Top Bottom