• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Koopa's New Digs 3.0 Edition

Jacob29

Smash Ace
I think there should be more focus on side-b if we are throwing ideas around.

I can't suggest idea's at all really. But honestly, something like Ike's quickdraw but a lot less shorter range might actually help Bowser. Might it storable like Luigi's side-B and then he has another option out of dash dancing.

Dash dance to a slightly ranged side-b.

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
I never said to stick to Melee techniques and aspects; in fact, I'm the very last person to suggest going back to Melee fare (on just about any character, mind you; especially Bowser, who I mained in Melee for many years). I just don't think that the Up-B change is nearly as crippling to his gameplay as people are suggesting. You generally have time to put yourself in position to easily do it while attempting to edgeguard. The hitbox is still pretty large. Bowser still has the earliest IASA in the game on his ledge jump (by a LOT, actually). He's still one of the most potent edgeguarders in the game, and this only hinders him in cases where people haven't practiced it OR when speed is of the absolute essence (which is actually an extension of people not practicing; his Up-B movement isn't faster than his run speed).
All very true, plus I have a profound respect for anyone else masochistic enough to main Bowser in melee - high five.

When you do it perfectly, you are just as fast, if not faster, than its previous iteration. You still get all of its benefits in an overwhelming majority of cases (where you don't have to get to the edge ASAP during an edgeguarding situation). This is a game where we want longevity--You should have to practice to be able to squeeze the absolute most out of strong options, and it's still quite lax in comparison to the strictness of the cast's required tech skill as a whole. You have an alternative (in rolling to the edge first). What's missing?
Again, it's not about edgeguarding at all -- I don't believe edgeguarding with it ever even entered the discussion. The complaints (which, again, I've mostly gotten over, but still think are worth discussing) regard Bowser's already crippling lack of safe options onstage. As you certainly know as a longtime Melee Bowser player, your safest option most of the time was to up-B - and then, if the opponent shielded or dodged it, you had to either mindgame him, or retreat to a ledge to cancel Fortress's significant endlag.

The situation hasn't changed at all in PM, except that now Bowser's hurtbox is unmissably huge. The stage is never safe for him normally because he's so slow, and it's never safe for him after an up-B, because he can never actually place himself in a safe position after using up-B on most stages: the obvious exception being a retreat to the ledge. Fortresshogging to the ledge is now extremely unreliable because of how finicky it is about how fast you can be moving when approaching the ledge in Fortress; combined with how suddenly his momentum changes and the fact that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JndHdWYgeo doesn't work in PM.

Obviously, yes, Bowser's tech skill is for the most part inordinately easy, and allows Bowser players at lower levels of play to absolutely crush their friends. Yes, the players on this board are (for the most part) entirely okay with his tech becoming more difficult to level with the rest of the cast - preferably as a side-effect of him having more options. The 3.0 change doesn't really affect low level play much regardless, but it does screw Bowser pretty hard at high level play by effectively removing one of his very very few safe options.

It is possible to slowhog offstage perfectly. It's also possible to do so ten times in a row. But being absolutely required to do so dozens of times under high pressure in a serious tournament setting, with a guaranteed lost stock every time you mess up slightly? But Bowser is the only character in the game who is literally punished with a lost stock for very slightly messing up tech that is absolutely essential for him to use on a regular basis in the course of normal, solid gameplay. This is in addition to him already being one of the worst characters in the game. It does nothing to help how unfun Bowser is to play against, and also serves to frustrate Bowser players and make our favorite character even less viable.

I admire the hell out of you, Reflex. Please don't tell me that you seriously think that this is an acceptable state of affairs.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You make good points, and I generally agree with you. That said, I think that I would rather see new options open up on-stage than to further increase his reliance on the edge. It's something we're definitely looking into.

I am personally indifferent about the 100% reliable Up-B in 2.6 (I generally don't give a **** about tech skill but understand the merits of pushing such things to the limit), but I understand the concern that is there for such great risk even in high levels of play. That kind of pressure is no joke, and reverting back to a 100% reliable Up-B may be for the best in the end.

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

You make good points, and I generally agree with you. That said, I think that I would rather see new options open up on-stage than to further increase his reliance on the edge.
Absolutely - that's the spirit of my earlier suggestions, and probably the general sentiment here. I'm entirely OK with a less reliable/more difficult fortresshog if it's accompanied by a more varied, less autopilot Bowser in general.

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, as Odds said it's not edgeguarding that's a problem, but rather having safe options after escaping an Up B. In fact, it is actually much slower to try to get back on the ledge if you Up-B onstage and then try to wiggle to the ledge because you have to adjust your speed to make sure you don't fall off. I touched on that earlier on one of my previous posts that i quoted. And if a player is in the position in where he could be a bit safer or lose a stock entirely, all depending on how precise he can be on a high-pressure situation, it's no wonder that they just won't take the risk.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Hmm it seems some interesting conversations have transpired in my absence.

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
Imo, if he could do something crazy like cancel his up-b with any of his other specials as a buff to his onstage/recovery game, that would be interesting. Maybe it could cost him a jump if It's an aerial fortress. But I want to see him with more mix-ups and technical options without over-complicating what's supposed to be a simple character. Keep in mind his specials are laggy and can still be punished but he won't be so damn predictable this way.

Grounded up-b into down-b JC might be pretty sick though...

I sincerely believe if you could just make this change, and no other(forget all the haters that are salty about up-b not auto-snapping), it would give our bread and butter move a bit more flare. We still have solid edgeguard options, how about we theorize this mechanic some more to give the King more recovery/escape and onstage offensive options.

I can see a grounded escaping up-b into a flame cancel to keep other, stronger close-combat opponents at bay. Up-b into down-b would be interesting shield pressure if a bit on the janky side compared to the other options that this offers. Like fortress recovery on to the stage, and a sudden switch in direction with side/down b.

All things considered, would /this/ be too much to ask?

Last edited:

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
Imo, if he could do something crazy like cancel his up-b with any of his other specials as a buff to his onstage/recovery game, that would be interesting. Maybe it could cost him a jump if It's an aerial fortress. But I want to see him with more mix-ups and technical options without over-complicating what's supposed to be a simple character. Keep in mind his specials are laggy and can still be punished but he won't be so damn predictable this way.

Grounded up-b into down-b JC might be pretty sick though...

I sincerely believe if you could just make this change, and no other(forget all the haters that are salty about up-b not auto-snapping), it would give our bread and butter move a bit more flare. We still have solid edgeguard options, how about we theorize this mechanic some more to give the King more recovery/escape and onstage offensive options.

I can see a grounded escaping up-b into a flame cancel to keep other, stronger close-combat opponents at bay. Up-b into down-b would be interesting shield pressure if a bit on the janky side compared to the other options that this offers. Like fortress recovery on to the stage, and a sudden switch in direction with side/down b.

All things considered, would /this/ be too much to ask?
This would be stupidly broke

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Given how early you can jump-cancel Down-B, wavelanding on (and sliding off of) a platform would make Up-B require almost no commitment.

I don't know about you, but I would certainly prefer to decrease Bowser's reliance on Up-B in exchange for being able to use other reasonably reliable neutral options.

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
Given how early you can jump-cancel Down-B, wavelanding on (and sliding off of) a platform would make Up-B require almost no commitment.

I don't know about you, but I would certainly prefer to decrease Bowser's reliance on Up-B in exchange for being able to use other reasonably reliable neutral options.
I'd rather him not rely on one move either, but I still have trouble seeing how this would break his game. Everyone is used to Up-b as a panic button, why not make it a bit more interesting and make it an option button instead? Bowser's enemies should be the ones that panic.

On the other hand, I'm open to pretty much ANY other idea if it gives him more variety or options without drastically changing the feel of the character. That is, if other special-cancelled up-b seems THAT game-breaking.

I'm interested in hearing what you had in mind specifically. I'd like to have SOME means of approaching.

Last edited:

Bebop86

Smash Cadet
So I don't really play him that much, but I play a lot of characters. Not sure if anyone noticed, but Bowser's up-smash hitbox when he lands on the ground can actually spike on the edge. For example a falco side-b's, you up-smash, and time it to hit the ground right when he sweet spots, he'll get spiked. Pretty cool!

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Yeah, I knew about that, it's not very practical, but it's cool when it happens.

CPU?

Smash Apprentice
How do you guys feel about grabbing only to let them jump out of it and follow up with a ftilt or jab combo at lower percents?
I've used it against some friends and it works decently well, but I don't know if its something I should throw into my Bowser game on a serious level.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I'd rather go for a dthrow and either get a jab reset or put them in a tech chase situation at low percents.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
Does D-Throw setup for jab reset? I thought they go too far away?

or it this like 0-25% we're talking about?

CPU?

Smash Apprentice
I thought the same thing. I understood the potency of tech-chasing d-throw, but I don't think I've ever been able to jab out of it.
If you know it works James you think you could give us a general percent threshold?

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
It depends on their DI, if they DI in you can jab reset, or against floaties you can usually get a tippered fair off of a dthrow, and against spacies you can chain uthrow to about 30ish%, either way throwing your opponent is usually better than grab releasing them imo.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
I don't think I've ever managed to get a F-Tilt off a grab.

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong but it seems like they always fly too far away before I can throw my fist out.

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
You make good points, and I generally agree with you. That said, I think that I would rather see new options open up on-stage than to further increase his reliance on the edge.

It's something we're definitely looking into.
I'd like to bring this back up. My concern for Bowser right now is his on-stage game. I've been doing my best to study his options in spite of my lack of resources. His neutral game, recovery, and tech-stand/rolls are my main concern.

I'm okay with nerfing his ledge game if it means fixing any of these in some way; it seems unnatural for a character of his size and appearance to be beating up on you while hanging from a cliff anyway.

I feel that his character is more suited to standing his ground and being hard to move, much like a sumo wrestler. His amazing Armor/CC game help that a bit, but you can still get the **** kicked out of you without being moved. It would be nice if he could act sooner out of his stage techs to counteract this if possible. His tech-stand Fortress is very good, but those who know the MU can still beat it every time. His tech-roll may as well be taken out of the game(or dare I say it, buffed? *GASP*). My idea, while biased and potentially broken as ****, was to let him teleport for his tech roll a la Super Mario 64. Though, even a small buff to it would be appreciated.

While his weight is amazing for survival, the con of his extremely predictable recovery almost nullifies this pro. However, it still isn't hopeless with a bit of mindgames/DI adjustment. This weakness will probably need to be overlooked to justify buffing his neutral game at all.

As far as approaches go, we all know he has little to none. It feels weird playing a character with a canonically aggressive personality(and appearance), and not being able to play a safe aggro game with him. If anyone has any ideas for this, go for it. I may be a bit too biased/commited to the character to offer anything fair for this(see the Teleport Tech-roll).

Also Bowser would be infinitely better with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGEXm81EMGM (But without changing Down Taunt...hue)

Last edited:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Bowser is fine currently honestly. Can a dude figure the character out before you guys go changing him?

He should have a weakness, anyway: he's fat as ****

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Bowser is not fine, he's probably one of the only two characters that isn't viable in PM, the other being Ganon.

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
Bowser is not currently fine, but he's tournament worthy. He just needs a little more tweaking and smoothing out. PMBR have already noted that he's still weak in neutral; I'm sure he'll be more solid next update.

Meanwhile, Jab1 to Utilt is a great combo starter on most characters. A 3-frame ledge jump allows Bowser to waveland back on stage with alarming speed. I almost always waveland straight down (since the jump is so fast) so that I may land so close to the edge of the stage that one of Bowser's feet is offstage, allowing Fortress Hogging auto-grabs. Uair seems to have relatively low landing lag and a big hitbox with immense power to boot, so SHFFLing this move is surprisingly useful and can lead to other follow-ups. Uthrowing fast-fallers at low-mid percents almost always lets you follow up with a Fair regardless of DI. And holy moly don't ever forget Flame Cancels people!

Last edited:

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Despite the fact that I've won tournaments with Bowser, I still don't think he's tournament viable, I just think most of the players in my area suck against Bowser.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
Bowser is fine currently honestly. Can a dude figure the character out before you guys go changing him?

I don't think a character that gets hard countered by a relatively large amount of the cast is 'fine'.

Last edited:

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
Bowser is fine currently honestly.
No. He's decent if you devote time into him, but he is not fine.

Can a dude figure the character out before you guys go changing him?
There isn't much to figure out about Bowser currently. Learning his two or three safe neutral options, up-b to ledge without dying, and armor timing. There's very few techs to learn for him compared to some other characters.

Yeah he should have a weakness, not 30.

Last edited:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I'm not talking about techs. I'm talking about advancing the character playstyle and adapting to the meta. YOu guys are undermining any actual depth this game has by changing it before people even get an opportunity to master the tools given. I've been using much worse bowsers for a longer time this is already the best Bowser we have but this version of Bowser has been out for like 5 months. I know Bowser's "not that technical" whatever. I'm not talking about tech i'm talking about getting better. But ultimately it's whatever I don't even care really.

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
I'm not talking about techs. I'm talking about advancing the character playstyle and adapting to the meta. YOu guys are undermining any actual depth this game has by changing it before people even get an opportunity to master the tools given. I've been using much worse bowsers for a longer time this is already the best Bowser we have but this version of Bowser has been out for like 5 months. I know Bowser's "not that technical" whatever. I'm not talking about tech i'm talking about getting better. But ultimately it's whatever I don't even care really.
There will most likely be plenty of time between major changes to see what certain characters are capable of. There are many that will argue that this hasn't been the best Bowser at all. One of his few safe options was nerfed and he did not gain anything in the department of his neutral game. When you have basic fundamentals down, it doesn't take long to analyze character changes and see what works and what doesn't.

This game is far from being finished as far as balancing goes, so you should expect some updates as higher level players figure out the little nuances in certain characters. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of high level Bowser play going on. What has been seen is that he has a lot of bad matchups still and some of the roster can sometimes just kill him for free. If you're looking for a finished product, you're playing the wrong game. But if you want to help in its development, keep playing and make your voice heard.

Tell me if you win any major tourneys with Bowser. I'd like to know your secrets. lol

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

I'm not talking about techs. I'm talking about advancing the character playstyle and adapting to the meta.
There's nothing to master. You play competently, and hope your opponent doesn't know wtf to do against Bowser. That's it. You can flowchart Bowser's matchups in a couple evenings; but most of the time you just lose if your opponent isn't clueless.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
If you're looking for a finished product, you're playing the wrong game. But if you want to help in its development, keep playing and make your voice heard.
Valid point. I'm just playing this because Brawl isn't active in AZ at the moment. I'm gonna just keep trying to win with this character though. I feel even with his weak neutral I can win by getting better and outplaying my opponents. I've beaten harder matchups in the other games. I'm also a Brawl GW so I know all about having weak neutral and I've already been looking at creative approach options.

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
Valid point. I'm just playing this because Brawl isn't active in AZ at the moment. I'm gonna just keep trying to win with this character though. I feel even with his weak neutral I can win by getting better and outplaying my opponents. I've beaten harder matchups in the other games. I'm also a Brawl GW so I know all about having weak neutral and I've already been looking at creative approach options.
We're all going to keep trying to win with him. That's why we're here. We don't expect immediate or even drastic changes. This is to discuss changes that could happen far into the future.

We all know it's possible to win with Bowser. It just takes some extra work, sometimes more work than it should. Lol. Flame cancels and jabs are fairly safe. Also mixing up our OOS options without over-relying on Up-B helps avoid hard punishes. Learning armor timing is also important when considering how you'll approach, but only after you have other fundamentals down and know when to use the armored attacks without getting punished.

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
Bowser requires a lot more tech and precision than what it seems at high level, and certainly not every Bowser has figured out all the things Bowser has.

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
While I'm sure there are still some hidden little nuances that can be exploited, the fact remains:

He needs better frame data. His recovery being poor, I can understand. But he suffers so much against fast characters that can easily bait out his hour-long tilts. Even his jab or an empty hop can be punished if the opponent knows what they're doing. His stage presence absolutely needs to be improved. Not necessarily by much, but enough to where he can throw out a move or two without losing a stock if he whiffs it.

His primary advantage at the moment is against players who don't know how to fight him. And that's not nearly enough when high level play comes around.

But keep Dash Attack. That ****'s pretty sweet as it is when mixing it up with the dash grab.

Top Bottom