• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King of the Couch - BRAWL Event in Edison, NJ! November 15th!

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
KING OF THE COUCH TOURNAMENTS
For more info on this or other events check www.KingOfTheCouch.com

[Note: All information is subject to change at any time.]

• EVENT INFO
Saturday, November 15th, 2008

Champps Americana (Private Party Area)
418 Menlo Park Mall
Edison, NJ 08837

• SUPER SMASH BROTHERS BRAWL TOURNAMENT INFO
:ENTRANCE FEE:

$20 per player ($15 entrance fee + a free meal voucher worth $8-$10 at the costof $5)
$10 Spectator fee

:1st PLACE PRIZE:

Up to $250 PAYOUT

:TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE:

Doors open @ 9 AM
Signups and Freeplay open @ 9 AM - 11 AM
SSBB 1v1 Tournament starts @ 11:30 AM
Tournament is scheduled to end by 5PM

:TOURNAMENT RULES: (from the SBR Ruleset)

₪ 3 Stock
₪ 8 minute timer
₪ Items are set to "off" and "none"
₪ All sets with the possible exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above is recommended for any "finals" matches)
₪ In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
₪No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
₪In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
₪If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
₪Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
₪ If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.
₪You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
₪ Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
₪ Stalling is banned.
₪Set team attack to ON

₪Stage Lists

The SBR Recommended rule list uses the stage striking system. In this system, players take turns striking stages from the starter list until only one remains; these stages are not banned and can be counterpicked later in the set. There must be an odd number of starter stages.

Starter

Battlefield
Smashville
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counter

Delfino
Castle Siege
Halberd
Pokémon Stadium 1
Rainbow Cruise
Frigate Orpheon
Brinstar
Pokémon Stadium 2

**Stages that are not listed here are banned**

₪Resolving Ties: Any games ending in time running out should always be decided by stock, and then percents. If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock overttime or the sudden death will be played out. The TO needs to decide which of these will be used before the tournament. Bowser's suicide klaw is exempt from this rule.

₪Color Blind rule: Should a player have a color-based disability, he or she may request in a teams match to have a specific color for their team. This is so characters such as Lucario or Sonic can be granted the blue team so that there is not unnecessary confusion.

₪ Wiimotes and Classic Controller users should know to take the batteries out of their controllers after finishing a set; not only will this save battery life, but it prevents accidental intereference and delay for tournament matches.

₪The Mages DQ rule: After a match has been called, if a player is two minutes late he will receive a warning. At 4 minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After six minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set.

:OTHER TOURNAMENTS:
Halo 3 - Free-for-All & 4v4
Gears of War 2 - 2v2
Madden '09 (PS2 and Xbox360) - 1v1
**Check www.KingOfTheCouch.com for more info.**​

• A Message from Warrior of Zarona:
Hey folks! This is WoZ coming at you with a new series of King of the Couch, and this next event will be held in Edison! It will be the first KOTC event by held yours truly, and while the suicide fox will also be at the event running the GoW2 tournament, all smash-related events will now be handled by me.

For now, this is going to be a Singles Only event per the time limit. Depending on the number of people that show up, we may decide to do pools earlier during the day. I've actually been wondering about using the Swiss system, and it will be a possibility that I may be using it in the future, but for now, it's straight up Double Elimination brackets.

The $20 entrance fee includes a $15 singles fee to enter the event as well as a meal voucher that you can use on any list of items on the menu and unlimited soda! It's a deal you can't afford to miss!

Lastly, PLEASE BRING SETUPS! KOTC currently has 4 full setups for Brawl, and we could use your help!

We're hoping that KOTC can give you a great experience in terms of the quality of hosting and tournament gameplay. The next event will be Super Smash Bros. MELEE! Check back on this thread for updates and more!

If you have questions feel free to send an AOL instant message to WarriorofZarona, or send me an e-mail to WarriorofZarona@smashboards.com

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
I'm in charge of making the rules, and I'll most likely use the ones I had at Smashtality, tweaking bits and pieces of it until it satisfies both me and the participants.

Jacob21

Smash Rookie
So this will based over the network not in an area (so we play in out own homes? ) because ivee been looking at other threads and ive noticed there in areas and well i cant really get to canada from where i live its probly just a gess 1000 miles away.

SilentSc0per

Smash Cadet
Well now that someone has actually decided to host this tornament with out Lane finding someone for it. Now its even better. :)

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
We don't have teams because of the time constraint. Unlike the regular tournaments that I run that can go to 9 PM or beyond, we only have until 5 PM. I'll consider doing a 2v2 event only at the next Brawl event.

M2K, it says up to $250 because our initial range of people coming would be between 25-45. Naturally, if more people come, the prize will be higher.

As a note, 2nd place will receive a free entry to the next smash event.

njmaddenballer

Smash Apprentice
1) you need teams
2) what do you mean UP TO 250 >___> that's dumb, that means if you get tons and tons of ppl the store will profit a lot and players could possibly not get what they should
3) i will probably come
Hey King I remember when you started out in Dover a few years back. You have come a long way, good luck.

-Rod

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Hey King I remember when you started out in Dover a few years back. You have come a long way, good luck.

-Rod

Good times. ^_^

I was one of the locals too. That was the first place I ever attended a smash tournament at back in 05. Too bad its not there again. I would have liked a reunion lol.

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
Hey guys, just letting you all know I'll be at this event, just won't be doing smash. I'll be running the Gears of War 2 tournament (game comes out November 7th w00t) and info will be posted on the website (rules are TBD). I look forward to getting back into the KotC scene, even if it is for another game :p.

Good spit to WoZ for taking the reins on Brawl. I have full faith in WoZ running a successful smash event, and I know this will be off the hook. We all will be working hard to make sure this and every event is filled with fun and fair competition. I hope to see all of you there (along with some fresh new faces) because KotC is back in action!

PS Rod you could have pick another pic w/o me >.< I look fat there.

See y'all in a few weeks.

pe@ce

xYz

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1049-0933-6834
if you guys do teams I shall come, lets team Jason (m2k)...

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
I'm not in charge of payouts, buddy. Take it up with big Rod.

Or even better: get more people to come and we may consider giving 2nd a prize.

indianunit

Smash Journeyman
Is this the same Edison where India town is? Maybe I could trick my parents into going there for shopping and then I could sneak to this....lol.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
how gay... hey inui, I better see you guys when I go up there next week!!
I don't know if I'll be able to play you. :(

Maybe on the 27th of December when I'm in FL? If I can make it to the Gigabits event, would you like to win teams with me? :)

Wow @ only paying out 1st. How can you let events do this, WoZ? I usually associate you with high-quality events.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
I'm doing this for KOTC because they've been good to me and learned everything about hosting tournaments by helping suicide fox run these. For all of that, the least I can do is host an event for them, even by their terms and not my own.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Convince them to pay out 2nd and 3rd. It's extremely unfair not to.

Mew2King should go and make everyone else have literally a 0% chance at money. Then nobody would enter. That'd show KotC what paying out only 1st can do.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
The most I can tell you now is to grab more people to come to the event. More participants = bigger pot to split.

If the pot isn't big enough to split, then we probably won't, but in that case, not enough people came by anyway to warrant giving 2nd or 3rd money.

If anything, we might give 1st and 2nd money and 3rd a free entry to the next event.

njmaddenballer

Smash Apprentice
Convince them to pay out 2nd and 3rd. It's extremely unfair not to.

Mew2King should go and make everyone else have literally a 0% chance at money. Then nobody would enter. That'd show KotC what paying out only 1st can do.

Woz is a great guy and will be a fantastic addition to KOTC.

We can pay out to the top 3 if the gamers wanted to, the problem is it will degrade the amount that champion gets. I do understand your point about King and his domination but at the same time people have to step up and get better. King started with us and believe me HE TOOK HIS LUMPS for a bit before he got better.

With that being said, I do understand what you are saying and we are willing to work with the community. If we get a 32 or more smashers it will go 1st, 2nd and 3rd. If we get 16-31, We will pay out first and 2nd. 15 or less we will do 1st only. We just want to make sure that the winner gets some cash.

What we need now is SOLID support from the community and we will do what it takes on our end. Can we get some type of list here that states who plans on attending or not The magis number is 32 players and we can make this happen for the top 3.

-Rod

Tipo mastr

Smash Lord
telling people that my name is pronouced &quot;Typ
wow, i havent been to a tourney in a while...

unfortunately i cant make this one, my football team has a playoff game =x

but ill try to make one if there are some more...i'd like to see woz suicide fox and other awesome people again. ^^

i have to really get my brawl game going though...havent played in months x_X

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
Post if you're gonna go if 32+ people show up due to payouts. I'll keep editing this post and keep track of potential attendance...I think that'll do good for the attendance of this event.

Potential attendees:
Atomsk (confirmed)
Yes!
Pierce7d

Top Bottom