• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby completely destroys Sheik

Tristan_win

Not dead.
>< Conclusively Kirby the only top and high that give sheik a **** ton of trouble.

Also I thought you were a Zss main, did you finally join the dark side?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
If it comforts anyone, my Kirby is formidable, yet I get dominated by Sheiks all the time.

Only on wifi though.

*wonders if he has ever been in the Sheik boards before*

*doesn't think so*

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Yeah, Wifi doesn't say much... although I'd say its harder to play as Sheik on wifi. But I do agree that I have trouble with fighting kirbys, as they are difficult to combo, and should never be gimped.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Yeah, Wifi doesn't say much... although I'd say its harder to play as Sheik on wifi. But I do agree that I have trouble with fighting kirbys, as they are difficult to combo, and should never be gimped.
Oh please, sheik is one of the best gimpers in the game and it is possible to gimp kirby if you mind game him correctly but he has to try to recover low if you are going to have any hope at all. With that said you wont be gimping him every game, it's just not possible unless your opponent isn't very good.

Sadly, Zelda does a better job gimping kirby then sheik does. Sweet spot dair does wonders to kirby up B

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You can also sweetspot dair Kirby out of his Up+B with Zelda. That's pretty fun.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Sadly, Zelda does a better job gimping kirby then sheik does. Sweet spot dair does wonders to kirby up B
You can also sweetspot dair Kirby out of his Up+B with Zelda. That's pretty fun.
*is now scared of recovering against Zeldas*

The thing about wifi for me is that I have trouble against all fast characters...Fox, Sheik, Sonic come to mind. They can go from mid range to right in my face faster than I can react with input lag. Talking about runspeed/attack speed.

It's hard to explain :/

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I agree this might be Sheiks first or second worst matchup, although I still think Ice Climbers and G&W are harder than Kirby. That being said, Kirby has everything in this matchup. KO power, recovery, combos, priority.........I hate him.

Zelda on the other hand does very well. Your crazy to play this matchup with Sheik instead of Zelda unless your Zelda is just horrible.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
kirby is good

underrated, top tier potential imo
I used to think the same, but everybody knows how he works by now, and most of the top tiers have ways around him if they're smart :/

He's good for sure, but it'd be hard to make him "top tier" when he's beaten in almost every aspect by the other top tier characters.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Characters with a lot of range and more priority(disjointed hitboxes) generally beat kirby.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Shiek is easy. There was a Shiek against I used to play alot and I don't think he ever won...

Rawr_

Smash Apprentice
Kirby gives me waaaaaaaaaaaay more trouble than GnW. He's almost impossible to combo, gimp, and all that other fun stuff... he's hard to punish, too. stupid fsmash ><
GnW is easier, you can grab him in the landing lag on his laggy-*** aerials. shield the aerial, grab, repeat

Charoo

Smash Champion
i use sheik to counter kirby. Then again, my other options r fox or falcon =_=

i never really thought kirby was that hard. Advantage yes, but not hard. I fight twilightkirby and the LEGENDARY MogX before and I can beat or go even with them usually.

The only thing I haven't figure out how to overcome yet is their back air spacing. If done right, you can't punish it at all

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
i like shieks up+b against kirby and other "floaty" characters who are easily knocked off the top of the stage. i usually get a kill by jumping around like a madman at them. and them using kirbys down+b to try to punish me... i dodge... they get out of the form...

i repeat until i attempt a up+b in the air and nail them with it before their rockform gets off.

i dont know how the priority compares i havnt really played a lot of kirbys but shiek seems to have a longer range in the air so as long as the priority was about even i would think she would have a slight advantage...

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
what? I don't really play kirbies I guess because this makes no sense to me...

kirby has horrible lateral speed compared to shiek, camp him, force him into the air. uair and fair beat everything he can do in terms of speed in the air (Oh...spare kirby's bair?) why is this worse than meta?

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
The things I see here (and I'm not too experienced with this matchup, so this is pretty much just theoretical):

Kirby's Fthrow to Uair chaingrab can get an easy 40% on Sheik at 0.
Kirby's Bair beats out anything aerially Sheik can do and basically cannot be punished if spaced well.
Kirby is all but immune to Tilt Combos
Kirby is all but ungimpable
Kirby can steal one of Sheik's few advantages (needles giving her a better projectile game)

Villi

Smash Lord
what? I don't really play kirbies I guess because this makes no sense to me...

kirby has horrible lateral speed compared to shiek, camp him, force him into the air. uair and fair beat everything he can do in terms of speed in the air (Oh...spare kirby's bair?) why is this worse than meta?
Kirby is usually in the air when I play him... isn't that the problem because of his bair? As Zelda, I try to camp him by doing lots of double jumps and punishing when I get the chance. The Kirby I play is very persistent with bair WOPs.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
needles even a single needle or the chain should destroy the wop. And like I was saying (at least in my head) kirbies lateral speed in air is poor enough that you can walk out of the range of any attacks he throws in the air and tilt him during his land lag. It's not like kirby is some speed demon that doesn't give your room to breath or time to react.

The thing is in a word or two some of the better know sheik's post how unbeatable the match is but those same players feel meta; who is far far harder to gimp than kirby, and has far far better range priority and aerial speed in every situation when compared to kirby; is an even match up. has no reliable projectile and while he can eat you I don't see how that is any easy task with swallow's horrible start up time and sheik's awesome movement/attack speeds.

Agian I don't play hyper competent kirbies, but what is being said just doesn't match up for me.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
The reason why I think the Sheik vs Kirby match up is worst then Sheik vs Meta knight has three main parts

1. Sheik can combo meta knight. Sheik has ftilt locks, dtilt locks and a good sum of moves that can lead into another hit like the whole force ground release thing. With Kirby we don't have any sort of combos, and no good strings I can think of.
2. Sheik chain can stops meta knight or it can be used to make him go around in a fashion that wont cause you to get punished. Kirby on the other hand has the perfect solution to the chain, fly over, and down B. Which I might add is a kill move, thus making the chain not as useful anymore at all.
3. Ninja aerial needle spamming kirby, is gay and very hard to punish even with dacus and counting his jumps.

Other then that if you manage to make sure kirby does not steal your needles or never gain control long enough to charge up you can force kirby to approach from the air. Unfortunately that's were kirby does his best. Everything you have either trades or is beaten out right and in a match were you are struggling just to land a few hits against a character who can kill you easier, faster, and can combo while you can't them trading isn't really worth it.

Something to note though is that Kirby up B cannot be used to force sheik to approach as with good timing you can hit kirby before he even lands also up B vanish baiting is easier to do since kirby doesn't have any sort of disjointed hit boxes and will be for the most part airborne.

On a personally note one thing that really pisses me off about kirby is that his grabs combo and his dash attack can't be side step while at the same time it has good priority. What the **** sakurai that's not just annoying, it's ****ing painful. On top of that Kirby fsmash out ranges rolls... and if it hits at the tip it sends people straight up b-b-broke.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
First of all, the matchup against Meta Knight is nowhere near even; people who believe so are delusional. Second of all, it's not in any way easier than the matchup against Kirby; people who believe so are just extremely unfamiliar with the Kirby matchup compared to Meta Knight. Third, Kirby can easily fly over needles, and WoP when he's at a range where it'd be dangerous to use needles. Needle camping isn't exactly an unpunishable strat, except maybe against Ganondorf.

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
oh i totally forgot i suggested this forever ago but you can use your up+b on the edge when kirby is using his up+b to recover and as long as kirby doesnt sweet spot it (like goes slightly above it) you will hit him with it.

once kirby picks up on this (well the player picks up on this) they will more often try to sweet spot with kirbys up+b.

when they do this you can just edge guard and watch kirby fall to his death. i do it with the chain. jump off... grab with the chain and as kirby is sweeping down past the edge towards you burn your edgeguard invunerability.

just about everyone can be edgeguarded. the only person i dont even fucing try with is metaknight

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yea idk what u guys are talking about... Kirby is bad...but Metaknight is a Kirby with a sword imo.. about 3x worse.
I wish you people would stop taking this kind of view on matchups. Sheik is not top tier. She doesn't indiscriminately beat down every character below the top 7. You do actually have to look at the matchup.

Kirby is not bad, or else you're implying that Chu Dat is so amazing that he pretty much destroys 90% of the east coast with a bad character.

Top Bottom