• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Crazy Doubles Tournament -Temporarily Closed-

Paladin77

Smash Journeyman
So what'd I miss? jk

I think the tournament is fine the way it is. One player (In this case, the Kirby player) can only use his special attacks, which are the some of the most unique in the game, adds a real sense to the word "Teamwork". Plus, like Paladin said, just set your controls to Custom and the B button only. Problem Solved. If you have a problem with it, either report Paladin for posting his rules for the tourney, or stop complaining and either join or don't. I'm not a mod or anything but is sounds like some people just want to add to their post count sometimes.

Back on point.

I have one last question to ask Paladin. I don't mean to bug you but is taunting and/or comments displayed by taunting allowed? I'm just really curious about this because I don't want to be disqualified by accidentaly taunting like I have in other online tourneys.

I love taunting people :laser:
Ofc you can taunt people. thats how you can get rid of your 'B' ability. but... id reccomend not doing it unless you wanna get Tbagged by the other team lol

Oh and no you never bug me. ask 10 more questions if you really want to >.>

1 last thing. Do you want to be sonic, or kirby? you said you'd prefer to be sonic, but now you sound like you want to be kirby. Up to you waht you want to be. we have enough players willing to be either or already. i just need to know for when i match you up with a team member

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
the best guess I can offer is that it is such a bizzarre idea. It requires alot of skill and planning, but it's very gimmicky. Honestly, I love gimmick tourneys (woot), but others... not so much.

I might also suggest: make it a round-Robin tourney. Instead of fighting knock-out rounds (that limits Kirby's copy-options) have each team fight every other team once (three games) or twice (best of three, two times) and the team witht he most wins is the champion. That also means that your need less teams. a round-robin tourney with four teams can have as many rounds as a knock-out with eight teams.
Perhaps the reason you like the gimmick tourneys so much is because you actually have a chance to win @ it. :laugh: J/k--allegedly

As for the round robin being more than the single elimination, larn2maths. :chuckle:For a four team round robin, you only need six matches. Here's how. Assume there are four teams, 1, 2, 3, and 4. All the matches that finish the tourney are shown below:

1. 1 vs 2
  2. 1 vs 3
  3. 1 vs 4
  4. 2 vs 3
  5. 2 vs 4
  6. 3 vs 4
For an eight team KO tourney, there are four quarterfinals, two semifinals, and one final. That makes seven. Assuming that both are played with the same amount of rounds, with the final of the KO tourney being two more...well, you get the picture. ;)

Thanks so much for that idea. Sounds good! Ill edit the main post right now!

@Abiu:But they wern't contributing really. They were just saying the flaws, and not how to make them fixed.

@Kazoo: Ok. tell me which idea is better.
1: You get DQed if you dont switch controls
2: If you accidentally press A, the other team needs to send a video of it so i can approve it or not.
3: If you accidentally press A, you are DQed.
4: your idea?

The thing is, i want to keep the B button rule

@Zen, Kazoo, Aibou, zeldspazz: Since you guys contributed so much... mind joining :D? I have 3 slots left... and if you filled em up, that would be pretty cool :)
Auto DQ when using a forbidden button. In the case of a dispute, demand video evidence from the accusers no later than 12 hours after the dispute.

I can't join this tourney. Why? Well, I have two finals coming up, one on Wed., one on Thursday. Keep in mind these aren't High School finals either. ;)

Kuda398

Smash Cadet
Ofc you can taunt people. thats how you can get rid of your 'B' ability. but... id reccomend not doing it unless you wanna get Tbagged by the other team lol

Oh and no you never bug me. ask 10 more questions if you really want to >.>
LOL, alright. I'll remember that :)

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
So what'd I miss? jk

I think the tournament is fine the way it is. One player (In this case, the Kirby player) can only use his special attacks, which are the some of the most unique in the game, adds a real sense to the word "Teamwork". Plus, like Paladin said, just set your controls to Custom and the B button only. Problem Solved. If you have a problem with it, either report Paladin for posting his rules for the tourney, or stop complaining and either join or don't. I'm not a mod or anything but is sounds like some people just want to add to their post count sometimes.

Back on point.

Great job btw. This competition is going to be a lot of fun :chuckle:
You're new around these parts, so let me tell you the one thing that can doom this tourney, as I recently stated. (I see that you might have not read up on the posts.)

A lack of a channel of communication between teammates!

To be frank, this is the downfall of all teams OTLs. Teammates don't talk to each other before the match letting each other know of developments prior to the game. Add the additional factor that a fair number of OTL attendees don't have a form of IM (gchat, ICQ, msn, yahoo, aim, or what have you) that allows them to respond to their teammates in real time, and this causes the problems I discussed earlier.

Best of luck on the tourney, and read up sometimes. :ohwell:

Paladin77

Smash Journeyman
You're new around these parts, so let me tell you the one thing that can doom this tourney, as I recently stated. (I see that you might have not read up on the posts.)

To be frank, this is the downfall of all teams OTLs. Teammates don't talk to each other before the match letting each other know of developments prior to the game. Add the additional factor that a fair number of OTL attendees don't have a form of IM (gchat, ICQ, msn, yahoo, aim, or what have you) that allows them to respond to their teammates in real time, and this causes the problems I discussed earlier.

hmm i guess, well thanks for all of your ideas and information. This tournament really bennefitted from it. ill put a reccomendation on the OP

@Kuda:Do you want to be sonic, or kirby? you said you'd prefer to be sonic, but now you sound like you want to be kirby. Up to you waht you want to be. we have enough players willing to be either or already. i just need to know for when i match you up with a team member

Kuda398

Smash Cadet

Okay.....and I suppose you didn't understand on what I posted earlier. What are you doing? You don't have a reason to be posting about your know-it-all god status. As far as I can figure out, you're tring to climb to 1,000 as fast as you can. I'm new to these forums but you're sorely mistaken about me being new to forums and the web. Guess that's that god status kickin' in again. I'm sorry I didn't get my three prayers in today god, I was busy posting about something on topic and to where I was actually involved in something. Not trying to start an argument but dude, you have no buisness ragging on people when you're not even involved in this topic. I mean the forums are open to anyone but you're a smart-***. So go ahead and go taddle-tale and get me banned or whatever but don't talk about me when you don't know me and you can't do **** about anything. Go somewhere else with all your bull, SSBB Team Deathmatch Champion of the World. That's all I have to say. Please ban me. I want be banned

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
hmm i guess, well thanks for all of your ideas and information. This tournament really bennefitted from it. ill put a reccomendation on the OP
No problem man...look, your first tourney won't always be your smoothest one (I'm living proof :laugh:), but the experience you get from it will make your future tourneys a lot better.

Well, talk about an over the top reaction. :dizzy:

I reported the previous thread. It's in the brass's hands now.

Paladin77

Smash Journeyman
Anyway... back to the topic. Ive made all the revisions, and im not going to do any more. Now all i have to do is wait for two more people to join, then assign teams.

By the way, you can switch off who plays kirby with your team mate if he agrees:
EG.
First round: You play your main, team mate plays kirby. you lose
Second round: You play kirby, team mate plays his main. You win
Third round: You play kirby, team mate plays a different main. You win.
You win the match

So you can switch around with who plays kirby if you want

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Anyway... back to the topic. Ive made all the revisions, and im not going to do any more. Now all i have to do is wait for two more people to join, then assign teams.

By the way, you can switch off who plays kirby with your team mate if he agrees:
EG.
First round: You play your main, team mate plays kirby. you lose
Second round: You play kirby, team mate plays his main. You win
Third round: You play kirby, team mate plays a different main. You win.
You win the match

So you can switch around with who plays kirby if you want
Sounds like a good idea. :bigthumbu

Interslice

Smash Rookie
still going

is it to late to sign up? i'll give it a go =)

not sure if my info is right, i have a hard time telling 8's and 6's apart

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps the reason you like the gimmick tourneys so much is because you actually have a chance to win @ it. :laugh: J/k--allegedly
yes... that be true... but also, I just like the change of pace from truely competetive brawling (not that I do much of that, anyway :luagh:).

As for the round robin being more than the single elimination, larn2maths. :chuckle:For a four team round robin, you only need six matches. Here's how. Assume there are four teams, 1, 2, 3, and 4. All the matches that finish the tourney are shown below:

1. 1 vs 2
  2. 1 vs 3
  3. 1 vs 4
  4. 2 vs 3
  5. 2 vs 4
  6. 3 vs 4
For an eight team KO tourney, there are four quarterfinals, two semifinals, and one final. That makes seven. Assuming that both are played with the same amount of rounds, with the final of the KO tourney being two more...well, you get the picture. ;)
lol wut?

I said rounds, not matches.

in a single elimination with eight teams, you have 1st round, semifinals, and finals.

In a round robin you have three rounds. example:

• team 1 vs. team 4 and team 2 vs. team 3
  • team 2 vs. team 4 and team 1 vs. team 3
  • team 3 vs. team 4 and team 1 vs. team 2

Now, everyone has fought everyone!

Paladin77

Smash Journeyman
ugh.... why is there 1 more slot but nobody is joining...

AND I STILL NEED ANSWERS FROM:

-interslice: What characters will you be:

-Kuda: Do you want to be kirby or sonic.
Answer please!

Shadykoopa

Smash Rookie
I r the last contestant... maybe if the slot is there If I have to be kirby I will... If not then ill be teh :mario: But I will happily play :kirby: Looks like im too late ><

Aibou

Smash Master
Finally, this tourney's full! Good luck with it Paladin! Sorry I couldn't join in on the fun, but I'm struggling with two doubles tourneys already XD

Paladin77

Smash Journeyman
Ok great! THe teams are made~
Do your matches, peeps!

Note Teams 1 and 2 aren't inactive, but they arn't the most active either... so you just have to wait

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
nah! it just started so suddenly! we got less than two weeks to fight three (is that right) matches, and it started just a few days before the weekend. Add an extra week to fight our matches, and send out some PMs reminding people to fight them. It'll all work out somehow!

Paladin77

Smash Journeyman
nah! it just started so suddenly! we got less than two weeks to fight three (is that right) matches, and it started just a few days before the weekend. Add an extra week to fight our matches, and send out some PMs reminding people to fight them. It'll all work out somehow!
Yeah thats right. But i think some people left smashboards...
Anyway, thanks for the advice =X

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
NO! DON'T LET THIS THREAD DIE!

I am going to personally send PMs to all the participants. WE WILL END THIS NOW!
*commandeers tourney from Paladin*

ALL MATCHES ARE NOW DUE BY JANUARY 1st, AT MIDNIGHT EST. OUR NEW-YEARS PRESENT TO YOU IS THE GLORY OF WINNING (or the failure of losing). SO GET YOUR MATCHES DONE!

EDIT: eh... heh... heh. Thanks ZEN. Trying to revive something this old was a fail on my part. In fact, as I sent out the PMs, most of the people in this tourney left smashboards within a few days of signing up. One person even deleted his sign-up post!

Shadykoopa

Smash Rookie
Even though this is old and probably done I just want to say i sent a pm to my partner and they never replied... Plus i got sick so I never could make up the matches so yeah

Paladin77

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, Ima just start this tournament from scratch...
SInce last time it failed... Everyyone has to re sign up, and ill restart this tournament

Ignore all posts before this line (Other than the OP)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BSP

Smash Legend
I'm sorry, but nothing compares to Falcon Punch, at least in manliness and epicness.

Paladin77

Smash Journeyman
@Neherzade: The first rule said something about brackets. But i changed it to a round robin tournament half way in, but forgot to delete the rule.

Thanks for pointing it out ZEN

@SHadowFirex100: What characters and tag? Want to be kirby or your mains? If Zen joins, I can pair him up with you if you want. Last time he signed up as kirby (when the tournament failed)

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
@Neherzade: The first rule said something about brackets. But i changed it to a round robin tournament half way in, but forgot to delete the rule.
No... Global Rule #1. NO SPAMMING. I (technically) did it earlier by trying to revive this thread, and ZEN called me on it. (thanks, ZEN for reminding me)

Top Bottom