• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Everything -- Kirby Social Thread

Glick

Smash Lord
Also, on a different note I was in the lab and I was practicing some land cancels off his dash attack (if you go off a platform onto the stage) and I realized if you immediatly dash in the opposite direction you moved in you actually keep some of that forward momentum. You can use that momentum to get a cute little moonwalk off with kirby. sorry if that was a little hard to understand

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
I'm starting to think inhale is a bit ridiculous.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Inhale is ridiculous. Nice for gimps, suicides, getting other characters special abilities, putting a cramp in sonic's game, and much more.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
I love playing Kirby so much. The only matchup I don't like at all is vs Marth, easily get dthow>tipped Fsmash all day. He's the only character I keep coming back to and doing better every time I go to tourneys.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
I love playing Kirby so much. The only matchup I don't like at all is vs Marth, easily get dthow>tipped Fsmash all day. He's the only character I keep coming back to and doing better every time I go to tourneys.
You should be able to DI then tech before he can hit you with fsmash. If you get the hang of that marth isn't that bad and is very gimpable. You can duck under marths grab by the way.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
You should be able to DI then tech before he can hit you with fsmash. If you get the hang of that marth isn't that bad and is very gimpable. You can duck under marths grab by the way.
I know about the crouching under his grab, I've had people get salty because of it. They don't know what to do.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I think I probably said this b4 on this thread, but Inhale is easily Top 5 Neutral-Bs in PM imo, probably even Top 1 since it can be used as an inhale and most of the other casts neutral-b. Some copys' I feel like needs some changing or buffing but w/e.

@ Glick Glick Hmm, that mini-moonwalk thing sounds impressive, Ive got to try that!
---
On a side note, I actually think Kirby has so much untapped potential (i know hes only been in the game for 3 months now). I would like to see everyone's grabs he can duck under, is it the same as Brawl's? Plus, stone acts like a lot of on-stage meteors/spikes (Falcon/Falco/Ganon/etc.) and combos into hammer/copied nB on some characters at certain %s. Plus his d-throw is a tech-chase or chaingrab on most of the cast. His inhale is thebomb.com. Has a lot of mixups with FC, and can cancel CD on a slope for mindgames. Tilts and smashes are decent. Aerials are amazing. Kirby is amazing! Im not going to speculate where I think he is on the tier list, but I'll just say he's not as low as some people is thinking. Emphasis on some.

Glick

Smash Lord
Yeah it's mad cute, and I did some nasty moonwalk into backwards nair > edge cancel on the ledge > backair shenanigans when they are recovering. I think a lot of kirbys aren't utilizing how amazing kirbys movement is on platform stages with his dash attack. I rarely even use it to attack, it's mostly just a way for me to move around on the stage.

also, you can dash attack from the middle platform on lylat onto the side platforms. and since it's completely lagless you can do any action. ANY action. jc grabs slide a little far when you keep the momentum from the dash attack

you guys should try out the different ways to use dash attack on different stages, and report back your findings. i messed around for a few hours on all the legal stages and found a few cool things. lylat being the only noteworthy one.

Last edited:

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
I took like 15 minutes to see who's grab can get kirby when crouched. Also, seems like the little bit of bobbing kirby does while crouched may sometimes puts him in range of grab up close, but otherwise this is what i found out.

Luigi - can sometimes grab
Peach - can't grab
C.Falcon - can't grab
Zelda - can't grab
Sheik - can sometimes grab
Link - can't grab until kirby around the end of his hook shot
Mewtwo - can't grab
Gaondorf - can't grab
Lucario - can sometimes grab
Charizard - have to be RIGHT next him to dodge grab
Pit - just like charizard
Ike - can't grab
Marth - can sometimes grab
Roy - same as Marth
Snake - can sometimes grab

Everyone else can grab him.
I would like to see everyone's grabs he can duck under, is it the same as Brawl's?
This something i did while back. It is only showing standing grabs though.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Got 9th for the 2nd week in a row with mainly Kirby. I love this little puffball.

I utilize the dash attack a ton on platforms. Fast falling it or making it shorter or making it slower. Really good for mixups.

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
Hey that's pretty cool!
I'm actually in the middle of making a complete list of what moves Kirby can duck under to punish for each character. I'm about 2/3 of the way through and I'll see if I can figure out how to upload it here when I'm done.
Hey guys, I made this post about a month ago and thanks to school/internship/life, I haven't been able to work on the list at all since then. I'm still planning on it and hopefully can finish it in one sitting on a day that I have a good amount of free time and motivation.
For now I decided to go ahead and make a google doc of what I've done so far. I hadn't planned on doing this so some of the wording is weird and possibly vague. If you have any questions, just ask! Also, NP stands for (not recommended). Not really sure why I used P (maybe it stood for probable?) lol.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhqPgXr1iiF9dFRGX1NOaWpTekYxUFBsSXNscEFzblE&usp=sharing

Last edited:

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I made this post about a month ago and thanks to school/internship/life, I haven't been able to work on the list at all since then. I'm still planning on it and hopefully can finish it in one sitting on a day that I have a good amount of free time and motivation.
For now I decided to go ahead and make a google doc of what I've done so far. I hadn't planned on doing this so some of the wording is weird and possibly vague. If you have any questions, just ask! Also, NP stands for (not recommended). Not really sure why I used P (maybe it stood for probable?) lol.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhqPgXr1iiF9dFRGX1NOaWpTekYxUFBsSXNscEFzblE&usp=sharing
Good stuff

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman

Good stuff man! I love being a pancake under people's grabs.

Also, Kirby ditto team is a force to be reckoned with. My buddy and I are doing it at a monthly tourney on the 29th as long as I don't have work johns.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
That tier list is bad, nuf said.

How do you guys deal with Martha?

MaxThunder

PM Support
anyone else noticed you can fast-fall the dash attack?.. looks so funny=D... can go so far down to hit people recovering and you can still get back to the stage cuz kirby...

specially fun combined with the slow dash attack... you barely move away form the stage but go the full distance downwards=D...

Last edited:

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
How do you guys deal with Martha?
I like to bait out a attack, dash in, and start a combo of some sort. Use duck to stay under grab. Gimp the **** out him because he is one of the easiest for kirby to gimp. Lastly, don't miss your techs or he will punish you hard.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
I like to bait out a attack, dash in, and start a combo of some sort. Use duck to stay under grab. Gimp the **** out him because he is one of the easiest for kirby to gimp. Lastly, don't miss your techs or he will punish you hard.
Guessing he's one of the easiest because he doesn't have many options to hit you when youre both offstage? I wish I knew the MU better so I'd be comfortable using him against Marth.

Last edited:

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
If you don't have someone who plays marth then play a little with him yourself to familiarize yourself with his moves, their range, and direction of knockback. A lot of those moves have a decent amount of end lag that you can take advantage of. Fair is marth's safest move and will be the one you will have to worry about getting hit by the most. But, if he is one of those Fsmash spammers then just bait them out and punish or you can just run up shield/sidestep and punish.

And yes his recovery options are poor and fairly predictable against kirby who can fly out there and pressure him before he can really use any of them. If you knock him far enough off the edge were he can't use just his jump to recover quickly he is basically as good as dead.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
If you don't have someone who plays marth then play a little with him yourself to familiarize yourself with his moves, their range, and direction of knockback. A lot of those moves have a decent amount of end lag that you can take advantage of. Fair is marth's safest move and will be the one you will have to worry about getting hit by the most. But, if he is one of those Fsmash spammers then just bait them out and punish or you can just run up shield/sidestep and punish.

And yes his recovery options are poor and fairly predictable against kirby who can fly out there and pressure him before he can really use any of them. If you knock him far enough off the edge were he can't use just his jump to recover quickly he is basically as good as dead.
There's 3 good Marth players out here in Chicago and I haven't really been able to beat any of them as Kirby. Dthrow > Fsmash tips just absolutely destroy me and its hard to counteract it. I really need to learn the MU. Oro?! is going to try and teach me it on Saturday since I need to learn it more than anything.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Ya i have a friend who does that. You can DI and tech it before his forward smash hits.

Glick

Smash Lord
After getting wrecked by D1s marth I really need to sit and analyze that matchup. It seems so bad that I'm considering picking up a secondary for that matchup XD

Random23

Smash Cadet
Loving this character, managed to take a set off professor pro's snake with him this weekend. I don't think the marth MU's that bad, he's pretty easy to inhale gimp and combo, but there's a lack of good marths in the UK. If you CP to a large stage I can't see the MU being that bad?

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
Loving this character, managed to take a set off professor pro's snake with him this weekend. I don't think the marth MU's that bad, he's pretty easy to inhale gimp and combo, but there's a lack of good marths in the UK. If you CP to a large stage I can't see the MU being that bad?
Dude, love the way your Kirby plays. I enjoy playing Kirby a ton, but he uses so much cheese that most my friends hate playing against him, which makes it not as fun for me and harder to practice. It was discouraging, but the way your Kirby plays is inspiring. It's smart, basic, all-around fun, and my favorite playstyle I've seen with the character.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Dude, love the way your Kirby plays. I enjoy playing Kirby a ton, but he uses so much cheese that most my friends hate playing against him, which makes it not as fun for me and harder to practice. It was discouraging, but the way your Kirby plays is inspiring. It's smart, basic, all-around fun, and my favorite playstyle I've seen with the character.

Keep up the good work!
My friends are the same way about my kirby and it is a bit discouraging, but then I kirbycide them and it makes me happy about play kirby again :p.

Last edited:

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
I freaking love aerial cutter dash. People end up shielding it and then dropping the shield immediately and BAM Bair to the back of their head. It allows you to approach quickly with an active hitbox, over a lot of projectiles, and act immediately after it with kirby's great aerials.

Player -0

Smash Hero
I feel like once people figure out Cutter dash it'll be countered by doing an aerial while Kirby is rushing forward (Kirby rush to knee) or waiting for the Kirby to do an aerial on shield after the dash and punish with an aerial OoS or even a WD OoS -> Smash

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
True. I like to throw in some regular cutters to mix things up a little. So far for me it has been pretty safe on the stage as long as i don't use it very stupidly.

I have learned about the dangerous of using it while recovering though. It is useful to recover, but it is VERY predictable and punishable especially if you use it a lot.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I only really like to use Cutter Dash on stages with slopes. (Lylat, YI, YS, Halberd, etc.) You can mix up so much; cancelling the CD into the slope and grab/whatever, using CD the "normal" way and hitting them with that, or just using a normal FC.

Top Bottom