• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

leffen

Smash Champion
atleast I dont write lists and try to use my knowledge to represent a community.

Well whatever, just some guys being horrible bad/wrong. Nothing new I guess.

@Nedech. It's not like I havent tried. They still claim kirby - fox is 100-0 ( aka 100% impossible to even take a stock on EVERY legal stage ) and just keep realllyyy ignorant ( hi pink reaper ).

Tamoo

Smash Master
While I do disagree with some of the things on the list, there is a way to be critical about something and then there is just plain outright rude.

Someone was asking what b moves were worth swallowing and he came up with his own personal list of his own opinion on what was and wasn't worth swallowing. If you disagree with it sooo much that it's enough to prompt such an outrage, why don't you use that energy to put your two cents instead.

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
Aight I'll rank those I know and which I try to get whenever I want to(Though I must often just use normal Kirby but I do obtain abilities every now and then)
You should get the ability from

Falco - No comment, you're the god of the match if you obtain this.
Luigi - (Great follow up, edgeguard and you can use them to make him leave the edge(They bounce of the wall so he got to jump from it or such, he can't just hang there) but you're better off with inhale for the final kill kirbycide is so op.
DK - If you get this it's very one sided, as if you land a utilt at any given % you can finish him off or put him offstage with the punch.
Sheik - these can be used but tbh it's all up to you or the match if you should keep it or not.. Great for pressure on shields, follow ups, edgeguard etc.
Doc - These are fun, and Doc's players panic.
Shadowball - so OP, bair to shadowball on mewtwo is so mental.

Anywho if I gotta list it(singles)

Singles
Top:Falco, Mewtwo
High:Samus/DK, Sheik, Pikachu, Doc
Middle:Luigi, Mario/IC, Pichu
Low:Young Link/Bowser, Fox, Link, Jigglypuff
Bottom:Marth, Roy, Ness, Peach, Zelda, Yoshi, GW, Ganondorf, CF
(DK should maybe be with Falco and Mewtwo, or Falco alone on the top and the DK, Mewtwo to high.. and btw the bottom tier is not in any order so CF ain't the worst.)

Teams
Top:Falco, Sheik, Mewtwo
High:DK, CF, Samus(debateable)
Middle:Doc, Luigi, Mario, Pikachu.
Rest:the rest.
(got lazy)
I can post why but i'll keep it short.
In teams,
Falco laser - can keep them at bay, you can save with it and gimp
Sheik - you can save, gimp you can combo and edgeguard.
Mewtwo - Save, gimp, recovery and it's a good finisher.
DK - Great finisher for your combos, and if your teammate grabs someone you can do the puff.
CF - Pretty much just the late option ^
The Middle tier and high tier are really close since most of the middle tiers are used for saving and edgeguarding..

P.S Doc is mighty easy with Kirby, I might even go Kirby instead of CF in the future.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
God Tier:
Falcon's Falcon Punch
Ganon's Warlock Punch
(obv. joking)
IMWO these actually are really good if you can hit the end of their punch with yours.

Very Good:
Bowser's Flame Breath
I'm pretty sure the only reason this combos into Utilt is because the AI is stupid enough to DI into it but it's a good damaging move and can make a decent edge guard.

Borderline:
Shiek's Needles
Pikachu's Thundershock
Samus's Blast
Mario's Fireballs
IC's IceBlock (though Inhale is preferred)
All understandable, though I don't really understand the use of Inhale vs Ice Climbers

Marth's Shieldbreaker
Link's Light Arrows
Young Link's Fire Arrows
Roy's Flare Blade
All require so much charging to get any real use out of them and aren't that great in the matchup anyway, especially with Kirby's reach being less than that of the regular version.

Pichu's Jolt
Lol at the self harming Kirby. This should have a teir of it's own because it's not just worse than Inhale, it's worse than nothing.

GW's Sausage
The pan can hit for good damage but the range sucks and the chances of you getting that close to G&W and having time to use the move safely are lmost nil.

Trash:
Jigglypuff's Rollout (Excepting the Flat Kirby glitch lol)
I second the minor recovery aspect and suspect this glitch might be useful.

Peach's Toad
Is this just a bad block or what?

Yoshi's NOMNOMNOMNOM
Inhale without the suicide ability, why make the trade?

DK's Punch
Fully charged can hit for a fair wack. That's unlikely to happen though.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Aight I'll rank those I know and which I try to get whenever I want to(Though I must often just use normal Kirby but I do obtain abilities every now and then)
You should get the ability from

Falco - No comment, you're the god of the match if you obtain this.
Luigi - (Great follow up, edgeguard and you can use them to make him leave the edge(They bounce of the wall so he got to jump from it or such, he can't just hang there) but you're better off with inhale for the final kill kirbycide is so op.
DK - If you get this it's very one sided, as if you land a utilt at any given % you can finish him off or put him offstage with the punch.
Sheik - these can be used but tbh it's all up to you or the match if you should keep it or not.. Great for pressure on shields, follow ups, edgeguard etc.
Doc - These are fun, and Doc's players panic.
Shadowball - so OP, bair to shadowball on mewtwo is so mental.

Anywho if I gotta list it(singles)

Singles
Top:Falco, Mewtwo
High:Samus/DK, Sheik, Pikachu, Doc
Middle:Luigi, Mario/IC, Pichu
Low:Young Link/Bowser, Fox, Link, Jigglypuff
Bottom:Marth, Roy, Ness, Peach, Zelda, Yoshi, GW, Ganondorf, CF
(DK should maybe be with Falco and Mewtwo, or Falco alone on the top and the DK, Mewtwo to high.. and btw the bottom tier is not in any order so CF ain't the worst.)

Teams
Top:Falco, Sheik, Mewtwo
High:DK, CF, Samus(debateable)
Middle:Doc, Luigi, Mario, Pikachu.
Rest:the rest.
(got lazy)
I can post why but i'll keep it short.
In teams,
Falco laser - can keep them at bay, you can save with it and gimp
Sheik - you can save, gimp you can combo and edgeguard.
Mewtwo - Save, gimp, recovery and it's a good finisher.
DK - Great finisher for your combos, and if your teammate grabs someone you can do the puff.
CF - Pretty much just the late option ^
The Middle tier and high tier are really close since most of the middle tiers are used for saving and edgeguarding..

P.S Doc is mighty easy with Kirby, I might even go Kirby instead of CF in the future.
i actually agree with this list with slight exception to dk and bowser. Dk is definitely useful but i wouldnt say its as lol broke as shdl. Bowser is actually really useful as a tool for guarding the ledge. I found it rather useful against djn to force bowsers damage up to over 100% and effectively kill his only good ledge option.

BunBun

Smash Master
Rofl does this actually combo? If so, that's amazing. I played a bunch of matches with Rock's DK this weekend and couldn't land a single punch xD

Also, I like inhale for intercepting recovery =/

leffen

Smash Champion
Yeah but you should just dair him whenever hes in that situation....
edit: lol wtf at inhaling vs dk vs having awesome ko move.... not even comparable.
And I really didnt *rage* i just wrote stupid words because I am done even reading what some of you guys say, its so obvious that some dont really have a clue at all.

Sorry, 1 question tho.
How can ICs iceblock be even moderately good? ( In singles ).
I see how it could be good in teams, but in singles just wtf? ICs will just outspam you if you camp with it and it sucks as a combo / launcher move. o_O.

Oh and armada also thought doc was really easy, was considering making it a hidden counterpick vs shroomed but then he realised NTSC kirby is worse : /.

BunBun

Smash Master
Anything to separate them that doesn't immediately get you smacked in the face by the other one =P

For DK: His recovery is pretty ballin'. If he waits for your Dair, he can just upB through it. And he CAN wait. Oh boy, he can wait.

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
Against DK you should really just bair him he can't do ****..
Hold the ledge if he goes low, bair him.. if he goes high bair him..
Hell you can basicly just jump out and chase the guy with a bair..

I've never seen the problem with just bairing the hell outta him.. and I think Leffen meant against bowser.

Anywho might aswell answer the question, why I think it's useful is because you can slip off with it and do some weird stuff, but mainly why I like it is because you can stall under the ledge with it, you pop up like if you used Marth's sideB with would be very useful in some situations.

'V'

Smash Lord
i actually agree with this list with slight exception to dk and bowser. Dk is definitely useful but i wouldnt say its as lol broke as shdl. Bowser is actually really useful as a tool for guarding the ledge. I found it rather useful against djn to force bowsers damage up to over 100% and effectively kill his only good ledge option.
Pretty much this. I would put GW's a little higher though. It gives you a little more of a ranged option against him. Especially since his aerials are just better than ours.

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
Basicly it's like Pikachu's but you gotta snipe every shot, and ICs are viable because you can use it when you recover + multiple slip-off shenanigans.
I find Pichu's way better than Roy, Marth, CF etc because the range/speed etc just isn't viable at all.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Pikachu's is at least spammable though, Pichu is just, ugh.

Also Inhale has a habit of literally beating anything Pichu attempts to approach with, what with his lack of priority. Not that it really matters in the long run, I just Grab->Dthrow->Win. Pichu sucks.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I have a question concerning Kirby's up throw.

I was practicing my tech. in training mode, and because of something bunbun posted, Was doing Up throw>Fast Fall>Wave Land in the direction away from my opponent. As I was doing this a weird Idea: What if I wavedashed toward my opponent and came in for a regrab? I understand that at high percents the opponent will just DI away/Kill Kirby, While at low percents they fall down to earth faster then you can get in good grab range/Kill Kirby. Is there a magical percent against certain characters in which Kirby can chain grab (Get two grabs in a row) with the up throw?

Nedech

Smash Apprentice
atleast I dont write lists and try to use my knowledge to represent a community.

Well whatever, just some guys being horrible bad/wrong. Nothing new I guess.

@Nedech. It's not like I havent tried. They still claim kirby - fox is 100-0 ( aka 100% impossible to even take a stock on EVERY legal stage ) and just keep realllyyy ignorant ( hi pink reaper ).
I don't mean to be blunt, but you do not deviate from that.

Nedech

Smash Apprentice
Against DK you should really just bair him he can't do ****..
Hold the ledge if he goes low, bair him.. if he goes high bair him..
Hell you can basicly just jump out and chase the guy with a bair..
You simplify the match-up. DK can definitely put up a fair fight of Bair-spam versus Kirby. And seeing as Kirby's is so motorically challenged and has a rather repetitive movement when it comes to spacing, it's not too difficult to sneak in a U-air from beneath. Plus, the defensive playstyle Kirby uses gives DK more than enough time to charge a Donkey Punch. Not really something you'd like as a Kirby player, because it kills you immensely easy and out-ranges everything you can throw at DK.

When it comes to edgeguarding Kirby lacks the desired mobility and speed to cover all aspects. Bair puts DK high up in the air, leaving him with a number of recovery options.

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
Nedech vi ska fortfarande lira och om jag vinner de mesta matcherna så får du skriva hära att Kirby knullar DK.

So what if the bair sends you up, DK doesn't move that fast in the air and you can easily react if he fast falls.. so just put up that bair in the general area he will land if he fast falls och goes straight..
Maybe for dumb players DK got a wide area of recovery options but really, against smart players it's either A or B with a variation and that variation is either by using fast fall or by stalling the air before grabbing the ledge/dodging an attack.. and smart players figure out the best option the other player will take and such = dead.
CF's upB is all about mindgames so that part is in my brain so I know where other players will go regardless of character atleast when their character depends on fooling the other one where you'll go.
So easy mindgames = you will get bair'd till you dead.
U mad?
And Kirby's grabgame will pwn DKs bair defense, you can basicly just run under it and grab him.. or for vareity jump in with inhale whenever he's bair spacing you, and there you go 10% and you got the DK punch.. or if you wanna gay then taunt and always have the inhale option for 10% dmg whenever he's going defensive.. it's almost like Kirby can camp him xD

-
P reaper, well don't really get why spam = useness.. it's not like Peaches really "spam" turnips, they use them in precise matters atleast most of the times.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
ICs and Pichu at Mid? Lmao never, bottom of the bottomest tier.
IC I can sorta understand because Inhale is far less useful vs ICs than normal but on the other hand, Ice Block is way worse for Kirby than them and Spit gains extra usage when you can beat up Popo using Nana.

Plus, the defensive playstyle Kirby uses gives DK more than enough time to charge a Donkey Punch. Not really something you'd like as a Kirby player, because it kills you immensely easy and out-ranges everything you can throw at DK.
This is why I don't play your way.

Dair everything, that's my way! Of course, there's always the tripple Fsmash response if that fails.

'V'

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure DK wins the B-air war against us. And his D-tilt will beat our attempts to get the grab. In fact, if HE ever gets the grab, it's Forward U-throw to U-air, and it's not fun.

He may be better to edgeguard and one of our more preferred matchups in the air, but DK is still pretty good against us.

BunBun

Smash Master
So, after this weekend, I decided that I like the matchup vs ICs. Drill> utilt *****. Nana's DI is awesome, so they'll always split and you can usually KO Nana before Popo can do anything.

Also, nair is good in that matchup =D

BunBun

Smash Master
Eh, I dunno dude. Platforms are dangerous because they give a lot more opportunities for the IC player to do the handoff. I prefer staying a bit away from the edges for the same reason.

The actual CG on Kirby isn't that good. You can get out of it pretty easily.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
So you're saying that what is supposedly the best chain grabbing character(s) in the game is unable to effectively chain grab me?

Well, while a relief, leaves me wondering why such a big fuss is ade about the whole chain grabing thing. If they can't chain grab me then ICs become a lot easier to deal with.

Triple R

Smash Lord
So you're saying that what is supposedly the best chain grabbing character(s) in the game is unable to effectively chain grab me?

Well, while a relief, leaves me wondering why such a big fuss is ade about the whole chain grabing thing. If they can't chain grab me then ICs become a lot easier to deal with.
Wobbling...

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
I won't say anything about the IC matchup until I've played it or seen it on a high level, smasher89(Sweden's IC player more or less) don't want to play against my Kirby saying stuff like (No imba Kirby thnx) I guess Armada has played alot of Kirby against him and he kinda knows what's up..
Either way on B.E.A.S.T(Europe tourney) I'll try that MU out against Smakis and W/e IC player I find.

But I seriously don't think that Kirby is at disadvantage here, because Kirby got safe stuff on shield so no grab, can easily divert popo from nana/vice versa and can easily **** nana offstage while holding popo.
But until I play it I won't be going like "aaaaah Kirby rapesssssssss".

Overall I never find IC that hard to play against, I **** 'em with CF and I'll **** 'em with Kirby.

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
I've been talking to Smakis and he thinks that IC will **** him, just don't boost him too much.. I hate when people go blind because they played one guy..
Anywho, don't get hit and **** him hard :)
Best of Luck.
--
Like what? some blizzards? tbh I can not think of a single thing that I wouldn't be able to get through.
Overall I will not trash talk about the MU until I've played it, theory smash is dumb. it hold grounds and that's about it.

Top Bottom