• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby MetaGame discussion

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
nair is ok. it doesnt kill or anything. it should be used to refresh back air and fsmash and such if it can be worked in.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
N-air is also good to use when you can hit with either a B-air or a N-air to keep your B-air from going stale. Unless of course they're at really high percents, then just B-air and get the KO.

Kirby's N-air really should have been multi-hit. Actually, I take that back, the developers should have given his N64 N-air back to him! Grrr!

xXLifTXx

Smash Rookie
I think nair is pretty useless. The hitbox is too small, you can only use it near the ground (when about to land) so as to avoid the horrible lag, doesn't hit far, doesn't do much damage, and you have to put your control stick in a neutral position to do it, meaning you won't DI anything if they hit you.

... Well, I guess nair is great for cancelling sideB's, downB's, or ledgegrabbed upB's landing lags. but thats about it. :ohwell:

EDIT: Oh! To get past Lucario's sideB, bait him to do it by faking you'll land in front of him, then do whatever you feel like doing... Or, ledge cancel an upB or twu, then jump back in by ledgehopping a fair (don't jump while on the ledge, let go THEN jump!).
To be honest, I've never ever thought of doing that with Kirby.. I've only done similar stuff with falco in melee. I'll have a surprise for my friend then :p Thanks

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I forgot to mention:

N-air can bait into a F-smash for a KO!

Just do a N-air right in front of someone so it looks like you've just lagged yourself from some "awful" attack. Then immediately do an F-smash as they approach to punish you... they always approach to punish. WHAM!

Side note:
I did this for KOs vs. a Meta Knight last tournament. It's too good.

Sasha

Smash Journeyman
Remember when the game first came out and everyone thought Kirby and Bowser had INFINITE JUMPZORZ HAX when they used side-b at just the right time over the ground? I played a **** good bowser a few weeks ago (I don't remember his tag), but part of his mindgaming was to do this side-b cancelling into the ground over and over again.

Why don't I see any Kirby's doing this??? It looks cool, it's a strong attack, and it's MINDGAMES SON.

Light-Kratos

Smash Cadet
Possibly because the timing is quite hard. Actually, you take many risks for a few advantages (hammer can't be use anywhere and is very dangerous, but Bowser's side B can).

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I've never been able to do that with Kirby, or anyone besides Bowser.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Just a warning, when you perform the Mirror string, try to make sure you don't U-Tilt > B-Air > U-Air Snake because he can use his broken U-Tilt to stop your string if he blocks your U-Air, just perform U-Tilt > B-Air > Repeat if you want to perform it safer.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Kirby's infinite second jump requirtes FAR more precision than Bowser's. I tried learning it, but the timing for his sideB (and the height in where you should use it) is so precise, you'd be better off just doing your normal Kirby thing.

Just a warning, when you perform the Mirror string, try to make sure you don't U-Tilt > B-Air > U-Air Snake because he can use his broken U-Tilt to stop your string if he blocks your U-Air, just perform U-Tilt > B-Air > Repeat if you want to perform it safer.
I hit with the front part of Kirby's utilt a lot, as well as the front part of Kirby's body when I bair... But stringing hits like that is much more risky than it seems on paper, or at least it feels to me like it is.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
so seeing as we're on the topic of ariel's, whats the best way of using kirb's d-air? ive once gotten into some kind of chain ariel with lot's of short-hopped d-air's because the hitbox you get when you land while doing a d-air stuns ike for a long enough time to recover from your own lag, and once again to do it again straight away. and of ofcourse its a decent metoer smash. but what's the real use of it besides that?

also, is there any way of using his side tilt properly? it dosent seem to be any good

oh, and what kirby's n-air in ssb64 anyhow?

Pink murder

Smash Ace
☠
My opinion probably doesn't matter much in these boards, but I think Ftilt is good for spacing. I've also found that its a good surprise attack. People expect me to try and trick them with a bunch of aerials, so walking up to them and using Ftilt leaves them like, "WTF?!". And to top it all off, its great for low % combos. Using a mix of Bair, Fair, Utilt, Dtilt, Ftilt, and-personally-Uair in succession at the right time is just too good. But I'm pretty sure that most of what I've just said has already been said before on this very thread.

Not to mention that I thought this tread went dead already...
☠

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
☠
My opinion probably doesn't matter much in these boards, but I think Ftilt is good for spacing. I've also found that its a good surprise attack. People expect me to try and trick them with a bunch of aerials, so walking up to them and using Ftilt leaves them like, "WTF?!". And to top it all off, its great for low % combos. Using a mix of Bair, Fair, Utilt, Dtilt, Ftilt, and-personally-Uair in succession at the right time is just too good. But I'm pretty sure that most of what I've just said has already been said before on this very thread.

Not to mention that I thought this tread went dead already...
☠

Yep, ALL of Kirby's attacks (except nair and ground hammer) are great, including his less-used dsmash and usmash... Ftilt is great for spacing, and also a good combo finisher since it knocks opponents far from you so as to prevent them from punishing you... Like, instread of risking an fsmash after a dair, just ftilt and you'll hit them without being in danger of getting hit back... The way you said you use kirby is the best way to use Kirby, so your opinion is just like our opinions when you look at it that way.

And yeah, it's dead... Hmm...

Oh, and to the d-air asking guy... The best way to use dair, in my opinion, is when you hop off the ledge: grab the ledge, immediately press down and jump at almost the same time, then dair while approaching your opponent... If he doesn't expect it, you'll be able to dair>utilt>bair him for 30% easy.

Pink murder

Smash Ace
☠
Thank you.

I also find that Dair and Ftilt are great for poking shields.
But again, I'm sure it's been said already. Is there anything at all we can add that hasn't been said already?
☠

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
☠
Thank you.

I also find that Dair and Ftilt are great for poking shields.
But again, I'm sure it's been said already. Is there anything at all we can add that hasn't been said already?
☠

If we knew what to add that hasn't been said already, we'd have added it already. :p

And yep, they're good shield pokers... Dair is much more risky than ftilt since they can shieldgrab you afterwards, whereas a well-spaced ftilt leaves you relatively safe.

Pink murder

Smash Ace
If we knew what to add that hasn't been said already, we'd have added it already. :p

And yep, they're good shield pokers... Dair is much more risky than ftilt since they can shieldgrab you afterwards, whereas a well-spaced ftilt leaves you relatively safe.
☠
What about hovering over your opponent while Daring? You don't necessarily have to land it.
☠

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
☠
What about hovering over your opponent while Daring? You don't necessarily have to land it.
☠

Sad thing about this is that if your opponent anticipates it and evades it (or shields the whole thing), you're going to get punished by a strong attack, since you're low enough to get bair'd by any character (and worse by other characters... MK can uair juggle you, DDD can utilt you, Snake can utilt you, etc...).

Pink murder

Smash Ace
Sad thing about this is that if your opponent anticipates it and evades it (or shields the whole thing), you're going to get punished by a strong attack, since you're low enough to get bair'd by any character (and worse by other characters... MK can uair juggle you, DDD can utilt you, Snake can utilt you, etc...).
☠
Hmm, you're right. I hadn't thought about that............................
Well I got nothing else. Guess we have to wait a while before we can find something else for kirby.
☠

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
☠
Hmm, you're right. I hadn't thought about that............................
Well I got nothing else. Guess we have to wait a while before we can find something else for kirby.
☠

It's OK, no worries! Speculating and brainstorming ideas like that would eventually lead to new things, which is what we want, so don't get discouraged! I myself am finding out many new things all the time, but they're character-specific and only against specific characters, so nothing really amazing...

The last thing I remember doing is DI'ing MK's dthrow down, so that before he reaches me and has time to do anything at all, I can tech and roll behind/ahead of him in order to avoid any follow-ups.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Meh, it's not too hard to do offline, especially for something like that. (I gotta learn to super-tech Sonic's Dthrow though.)

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
you kno what i hate? when people predict my kirby's grab and sidestep thats really annoying. people will sidestep a lot when fighting kirby...

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
SNO, what I do when people spotdodge my grabs, is dash attacks... It works WONDERS. Even if they shield it, as long as you're using it only as a mindgamed mix-up, they'll let go of the shield thinking it was another attack and eat the whole thing (or if they're spotdodging, they'll get hit by the stronger part of it, and be in the air at a disadvantageous position)...

Utilts also eat spotdodges, as well as grab fights (when both are grabbing and dodging each other), since our utilts come out faster and end quicker than grabs.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Random grounded hammers punish spotdodges too, though don't throw too many of those out since, well, you know... grounded hammer kinda sucks.

Pink murder

Smash Ace
☠
I think grounded hammers are awesome if your opponent is dodgeroll happy. Predict their roll and they're in a world of pain. Not to mention that Dthrow->Reverse grounded hammer works wonders against people who try to attack you out of your Dthrow.
☠

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hmm, you QCDI down and tech or something?
Oops, hadn't seen this.

Actually, you know how Sonic slams you on the ground when he first starts his Dthrow? Well, turns out you can tech that, but he'll still go through the throw animation. Can't find the video of it anymore though...

Also Pink, while it sometimes works, it's a lot more risky than most options in that position (like just shielding and Dthrowing again).

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Actually, you know how Sonic slams you on the ground when he first starts his Dthrow? Well, turns out you can tech that, but he'll still go through the throw animation. Can't find the video of it anymore though...
Oh wow, I gotta try that. o_O

Pink murder

Smash Ace
Also Pink, while it sometimes works, it's a lot more risky than most options in that position (like just shielding and Dthrowing again).

☠
That's what I usually do, I just like to mix it up sometimes. And when it does work the reward is meritorious.

Also, that sonic thing seems pretty cool. Can you hit him during his Dthrow animation, or do you have to wait until its over? Too bad I don't fight many sonic mains...
☠

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Ahhh. Yeah, I do that too sometimes. Also, I'm pretty sure that's not a word :laugh:

Nope, you can hit him during it. So... charged Fsmash or hammer!
It ***** them if you can do it right (which I can't.).

aqua421

Smash Apprentice
if you full hop and Dair immediately after you jump, you can end in a grounded footstool on taller characters, which can lead to an air hammer. it works really well on rob.

Pink murder

Smash Ace
☠
Is that 100% aqua? I can actually use that on rare occasions.

I actually managed to pull off a footstool -> aerial hammer today, although it was completely unintentional.

Of course, my opponent doesn't know that :laugh:
☠

aqua421

Smash Apprentice
the only times it doesnt work for me is due to my own personal error, i havent really tested it too much but im pretty sure that its legit.

aqua421

Smash Apprentice
i cant test right now but it works pretty well on falco too i think. On shorter characters, such as metaknight, if both of you are standing on platform and you drop through and immediately jump and Dair you should be able to get a footstool off.

Top Bottom