• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
if he gets pit's arrows, falco' lazer, and fox's lazer the speed properties are different. his arrows are faster but he shoots them slower. when he is hop lazering he shoots way faster than the spacies. that's all i know on that tho

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'm not sure about that Maharba. I'm not going to say you're wrong with the data you provide (I'll leave that to Jowii) but since you didn't give any frame-data I'm not sure about Kirby shooting arrows slower, or how he shoots 'way faster' than the spacies with lasers. Since you're making the claims, the burden of proof is on you to provide the data.

How many of you kirby mains actually use [Copy Abilities] to fight?
It's actually match-up dependent as well as player dependent. If the Copy Ability is bad, then just go for Star Shot/Kirbycide. Some players know how to get around Inhale better than others, so if Inhale isn't working it's better to change it up and go for something else. Copy plays a much bigger role in Doubles because you have access to your partner's N-Special.

And has anyone tested to se eif Kirby specail is weaker then everyone else? like using falco gun is it weaker or slow in any way compared to the real thing?
And does Lucario kirby specail get bigger?
In general Kirby's specials aren't 'weaker' than the opponent's (as far as damage goes). The properties that change are usually range (most notable with Donkey Punch and Shield Breaker). Kirby doesn't get an Aura multiplier with the Lucario Hat, unfortunately.

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
Even though my opinion isnt taken seriously in here Kirbys specials are USUALLY better because of his multiple jumps

Like he can spam better with projectiles because he does have to touch the ground until hes shot like 3

or he can falcon punch and still be in the air

Even though Olimars can only be used on the ground it still helps change the MU so much it should be considered better

IMO

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Even though my opinion isnt taken seriously in here Kirbys specials are USUALLY better because of his multiple jumps

Like he can spam better with projectiles because he does have to touch the ground until hes shot like 3

or he can falcon punch and still be in the air

Even though Olimars can only be used on the ground it still helps change the MU so much it should be considered better

IMO
Don't worry, your post speaks the truth. We spam better because we can do so from further away and never worry about running out of space. Our floatiness also helps a lot!

DRDN

Smash Master
What does everyone think is the most underrated/used kirby move

I would have to go with down smash its not safe on shield but people with small grab ranges will usually try to grab anyway(like they can from a fsmash) and waste most of their lag plus it pokes kinda early and kills

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820

I would have to go with down smash its not safe on shield but people with small grab ranges will usually try to grab anyway(like they can from a fsmash) and waste most of their lag plus it pokes kinda early and kills
Heck no, down smash is a very nice move! It's my third most used kill move as Kirby, second is bair and first is fsmash... Dsmash is really good, the tips of the toes can send you at a horizontal angle, and the rest of the legs/body sends the opponents upwards and is quite a reliable killer. It also destroys people for airdodging into you, while keeping your fsmash fresh! ;)

Buuut, the most underused Kirby move, I'd have to say nair. That move only has one use, and it's to cancel the sideB/downB phantom lag.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
D-smash is really awesome. It's awesome because of its vertical KO potential (MK I'm looking at you), plus it hits faster than the F-smash. Since it hits faster it can be used in situations where the F-smash/U-smash could otherwise be shielded - even at percents it doesn't KO it can send opponents into the air or off-stage and keeps your F-smash fresh.

N-air is certainly underrated/under-used. I use N-air a good amount of time, though... and not just for getting rid of Phantom Lag. ;)

My most under-used attack at this point would probably have to be whatever laggy/punishable. Not because it isn't useful, just because you can't use it safely. (This would include all Smash Attacks and all non-Copied special attacks).

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I decided to do a write-up for my next "Kirby Analysis" article. I really do like N-air, so I made sure to put a lot of information and excellent data in the article for everyone. -^_^-

The Kirby Analysis: N-air

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Wow, awesome read T!Mmy. I'll start to integrate it more in my gameplay. Mainly as a punisher at higher percentages when my B-air is clearly too stale to punish/KO and I need something faster than a smash attack.

Hmmm... what's the amount of hitstun the opponent gets verses our hitlag?

Snizz

Smash Rookie

Down tilt, because there's a chance it makes your opponent trip and then you have an opportunity to either F-smash, dash attack or grab, and from there you can start a combo.
:)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Wow, awesome read t1mmy.
Thanks. I enjoy making awesome posts for awesome people to enjoy.

Hmmm... what's the amount of hitstun the opponent gets verses our hitlag?
I think the two terms mentioned (HitStun and HitLag) aren't what you're thinking. "HitStun" is the duration in which the guy who got hit (the "opponent") is incapable of doing anything due to the attack. "HitLag" is the time both the attacker and the opponent are "frozen" during the time the attack is hitting.

What you're probably thinking of is the amount of time it takes for Kirby to react versus the opponent's response speed after the N-air has landed. That sounds like good info to know, so I'll go look at it and get the exact data back to you on it.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
What you're probably thinking of is the amount of time it takes for Kirby to react versus the opponent's response speed after the N-air has landed. That sounds like good info to know, so I'll go look at it and get the exact data back to you on it.
Yeah t!M that's exactly what I'm looking to find out. It's that Kirby vibe that you understood the idea behind what I was trying to ask. ;)

I'm not sure if you're trying to make a funny or...
Ah-hem, anyway, no. That's not an AT. That was just a random trip. Not only that... why...? Why would anyone follow up a land canceled D-air to a grounded Stone? A F-smash would have probably ended that stock. :facepalm:
I am disappoint.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
OMFG
U R RETARDEAD

UYOUDSFKajwekldscakjlf'

*******SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssssssss...............ssssssss555555555SSSSSSS.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
:awesome: That's ****ing adorable DRDN. Your name should be ****. It's four letters and still has at least one-fourth from the original name. Besides, it was a trollllllololollolol response post to an obvious trollllllllolol post.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I find the hardest thing about the kirby vs G&W fights is that Game is almost never NOT moving so its hard to see his lag times when are the best times to grab/bair/fsmash him?
Launch him up and bait him to D-air. Just walk away to avoid it and you can punish the land with a tilt/smash/b-air depending on how you see fit %-wise. You can try shield grabing him out of his d-air. You have to be quick about punishing his D-air cause I've seen lots of G&W's Up-B right after it to push you away but that doesn't cure the fact that he is still in the air. All he did is just reset his position. I love how most scrubby G&W's think they can just turtle (B-air all day. If you get hit with it just SDI toward him and up. You'll get out of the attack and get a free b-air/u-air out of it. Also once in a while just shield the whole attack (b-air) and you get a free grab due to how laggy his land cancelled b-air is. Do it only when you have a good amount of shield left or else you'll get shield poked. When at high %'s (90ish) watch out for his ******** smashes. Outprioritize them with your tilts. Not sure if any of that answers your question. I just threw random tips...

DRDN

Smash Master
I did fine against G&W today those tips did help but I lost to pit pretty bad the first game I think I had my bair so stale it was the only move in the list I can't fingure out much to do to get inside of the arrows and pits other attacks

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
i have a friend who just got the game but shows serious potential. I'm going to his house tomorrow he knows all the moves im just gonna teach him short hop and how to sffl. he is best with kirby, whats a good beginner move to show him and how do i do it?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
i have a friend who just got the game but shows serious potential. I'm going to his house tomorrow he knows all the moves im just gonna teach him short hop and how to sffl. he is best with kirby, whats a good beginner move to show him and how do i do it?
Make sure he can do these beginner moves fluidly:

F-throw -> U-air
U-air -> U-tilt
U-tilt -> B-air

So besides me being nervous and doubting myself because I HATE PIT making me roll CONSTANTLY what other pointers can I get
Look to improve your follow-ups. Against this Pit you're doing an adequate job getting in close, and you're also doing a good job landing hits. Once you're in close and getting hits in, learn to maximize your damage because that's pretty much the only place Kirby is going to be doing his damage. At this point you shouldn't care too much about getting punished because that's how you learn what you can get away with and what you cannot. You cannot push your limits if you do not know them.

If you're being nervous and if you're doubting yourself, find out why. What is it about Pit that makes you play any worse than against any other character? Analyze the match-up, learn about it as much as you can. When you understand the opponent, all anxiety and doubt will vanish.

Some quick tips:
Try a U-tilt after you land a B-air, even if you end up hitting a Shield go for a U-tilt. If the opponent misjudges his punish, you'll already be hitting him back before he can put up a shield or try for a secondary attack.

After you tumble-cancel with a U-air and you are in the upper corner of the screen: do not jump to momentum-cancel. Use Kirby's hammer instead. It's known that if you jump when in the upper corner of the screen for a momentum-cancel you'll actually trigger the KO.

how do i kill pikachu with kirby
Honestly the best way is to be patient until you see an opening for a Smash Attack. If you can read the Pikachu it makes it much easier. For instance, if you expect him to QAC toward you, you can send out a U-smash or F-smash; even if he doesn't QAC at you, the distancing should make the Smash Attack much harder to punish.

If you're playing against a defensive/patient Pikachu, it makes things much harder since they will leave themselves open much less often. You can still look for holes in their defense to get your KO attack in, but it's usually safer to keep building the damage until you can refresh your B-air for a KO, or perhaps to get a high-percent KO such as U-throw.

should i be using attack or c-stick while doing kirby's aerials like bair/dair
It really depends on the circumstances and the player's preferences. The general rule of thumb is to use C-stick when you're attacking in a direction that is contrary to your movement (such as using C-stick to B-air when moving forward or to D-air when going left/right).

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Yeah t!M that's exactly what I'm looking to find out. It's that Kirby vibe that you understood the idea behind what I was trying to ask. ;)
It took a while for me to get the info (I blame Pokemon) but here it is in its entirety!

Perfect N-air Frame Data

1 - 4: Short Hop start-up
5 - 24: Airbone
25: N-air executed
26 - 27: N-air start-up
28: Fast-Fall executed
29 - 33: Start-up continues (N-air)
34 - 42: N-air hits! (both Kirby and opponent are in HitLag)
43 - 51: Aerial Attack Lag (opponent in HitStun)
52: Kirby IASA (opponent in HitStun)
53 - 55: opponent in HitStun
56: Opponent can react

Maximum Frame Advantage: +4 for Kirby!

This means you can 'combo' a sweet-spot N-air into a Jab, U-tilt, or D-tilt. You can feasibly go for a Grab or F-tilt as well since the opponent has only a couple frames to put up the proper defense.

Here's another way of looking at the data

Sequence of Events:
Short Hop (4 frames)
Airborne (19 frames)
N-air, start-up (9 frames)
HitLag (9 frames)
Aerial Attack Lag (9 frames)
Kirby attacks (+4 frame advantage)

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
A world of potential! Now I just gotta hit it! :laugh:
I feel like we just found a dollar bill on the floor! :bee:

Also your previous post was win. I really liked how you responded about mentality in MU's. Something I'll be thinking about myself.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
It's amazing how much a little 'common sense' can take you. ;)

There's something that I should emphasize with the N-air data, and that is you must keep in mind that it is a "Perfect N-air". In other words, the N-air was timed to hit exactly 1-frame off the ground (notice how there's no falling time from HitLag to Aerial Attack Lag).

If you hit with N-air at the top of the opponent's head, you'll have to spend time to get back to the ground. Each frame of fast-falling that you have to do will subtract from the frame advantage Kirby gets after Aerial Attack Lag. :o

tekkie

Smash Master
Honestly the best way is to be patient until you see an opening for a Smash Attack. If you can read the Pikachu it makes it much easier. For instance, if you expect him to QAC toward you, you can send out a U-smash or F-smash; even if he doesn't QAC at you, the distancing should make the Smash Attack much harder to punish.

If you're playing against a defensive/patient Pikachu, it makes things much harder since they will leave themselves open much less often. You can still look for holes in their defense to get your KO attack in, but it's usually safer to keep building the damage until you can refresh your B-air for a KO, or perhaps to get a high-percent KO such as U-throw.
a camping pikachu is awful :<

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
D-tilt -> *SMASH!*

There's not much more than that for a guaranteed set-up into a KO, except HUP! -> KO

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
RM, UThrow kills at like...170%ish, or on platforms like..145%ish.

DSmash isn't bad either if they try and land on you.

Charged USmash works if MK tries to glide back to the edge where you can wait for him lawl.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Charged USmash works if MK tries to glide back to the edge where you can wait for him lawl.
I thought glide attack clashes and negates the entire hitbox, and MK can land and Dsmash during your animation. Haven't played that MU much recently though so maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that was what happened.

Top Bottom