• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

Shuzaku

Smash Apprentice
sry for being so rude, i thought u were pranking us.

i see it as a very good edgegaurding technique, and in teams i see it practical.

you pretty much covered all the uses for it. i wonder how it would affect kirbys hammer, or rock.

Suna

Smash Journeyman
what do you do when your going against a spammy Zelda that just uses the fire and thin a d-smash whenyou get close and a MK that just planks on the edge and just uses shuddle loop and d-smash when your close

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
what do you do when your going against a spammy Zelda that just uses the fire and thin a d-smash whenyou get close and a MK that just planks on the edge and just uses shuddle loop and d-smash when your close
Against a spammy Zelda, slowly walk in and perfect shield the fires. If you know she'll dsmash you, shield and grab.

Against the MK, 50 ledgegrabs in one game results in an automatic loss at tournaments, so either make him play with that rule or just don't play him.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Well, I am at a friends house and he's an aspiring kirby main. He was reading t!mmy's guide, and as he was doing that I was eating crap with kirby vs falco in training. So, I think I found a combo that works on most characters. If it was already discovered, then sorry xD. It goes as following:

(at 0%)F throw, u air, f throw, hammer.

Goes from 0 to 40 easy.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Well, I am at a friends house and he's an aspiring kirby main. He was reading t!mmy's guide, and as he was doing that I was eating crap with kirby vs falco in training. So, I think I found a combo that works on most characters. If it was already discovered, then sorry xD. It goes as following:

(at 0%)F throw, u air, f throw, hammer.

Goes from 0 to 40 easy.
Yep, it is known as the fthrow combo. You can extend it and change it depending on what you do after the first fthrow, though...

fthrow > uair > fthrow > uair > ftilt is another variation of the same thing.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
I was thinking of making a serious Kirby combo video but all the footage was wifi. Would that invalidate it? The Dorf boards recently released a combo video and im pretty sure 90% of the footage was wifi. It's not like the combos I do online don't work offline.

Well, what do you guys think?

Suna

Smash Journeyman
Against a spammy Zelda, slowly walk in and perfect shield the fires. If you know she'll dsmash you, shield and grab.

Against the MK, 50 ledgegrabs in one game results in an automatic loss at tournaments, so either make him play with that rule or just don't play him.
ok,thanks for the advise

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
Do you have any hints to approach Diddy with Kirby? I already read the matchup thread, but I think I need more information. These hyperfast glidetossing Diddyfreaks are too much for me, I can hardly get around their bananas :( .

kirbz

Smash Apprentice
i just noticed i kind of fail at kirby (from your views) >o<

my only way to fight others is on wifi, so should i fight people who are equal to me, worse than me, better than me, or totally destroy me? thanks <(>.<)>

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Do you have any hints to approach Diddy with Kirby? I already read the matchup thread, but I think I need more information. These hyperfast glidetossing Diddyfreaks are too much for me, I can hardly get around their bananas :( .
You have to jump around them, wait for them to make a move, then swoop in with an attack. The best places to be when fighting them is never in front of them or above them, but diagonally in front/behind them... Never throw him his bananas, throw them upwards or off-stage. If you decide on off-stage, he'll need some time to make more bananas, where you can either get toi him and get off a quick bair or grab, get ready for his next barrage by collecting yourself, or stay far away from him and see what he does (most probably camp you with his peanut popgun)...

And everything else is mostly just learned from experience.

my only way to fight others is on wifi, so should i fight people who are equal to me, worse than me, better than me, or totally destroy me? thanks <(>.<)>
Play all of those, minus the "destroying" ones. When you feel that you're a better player, use them as a test to see how much you've progressed. They won't deny the matches, it's a victory for them (unless you got reaaaally good, then they enjoy it even more cuz they're close matches)!

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519

I would say equal at worst. If you play someone worst than you, you won't upgrade your skills to another level. At best play someone that's better than you, your able to learn from the people who can beat you, do not play someone who ***** you, you won't learn much, and most people who have a stupid amount of skills are anti social. =/

kirbz

Smash Apprentice
k thanks. next question:

what char should i train on (against)? should i just get like 50 fcs and play them all? or something else?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
It really depends on what characters you have trouble playing really. You can also play your conformable match up, but you most likely want to play your personal bad match up.

gopobox

Smash Journeyman
Does kirby need secondaries to do decent in a tourney?

If so can you give me a list of some good secondaries going along with kirby?
Thanks.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
It really depends on how you know or deal with Kirby's bad match up's. Since you'll mostly see Meta Knight or Snake or most of the S or A tier characters at the matter, you have to know how to deal with them or pick a character that can deal with them better than Kirby, I'll list my top five characters that I think would fit the secondary for Kirby:

King Dedede: King Dedede can able to handle a number of Kirby's even and bad match up's. Snake, Marth, Donkey Kong, Wario, ROB, Lucario, Mr. Game & Watch, and Zero Suit Samus mostly. The king can clean near all of Kirby's bad match up's. He's not hard to master if your use to Kirby.

Snake: Same as the King, but can handle Ice Climbers and Meta Knight much better, but a bit more technical.

Marth: He's easier to use, but hard to master. Any character that's not Meta Knight, Snake, or Donkey Kong, Marth can handle Kirby's bad match up's.

Pikachu: Able to handle Snake, Wario, and Ice Climbers for Kirby.

Toon Link: He's easily underestimated, also he can handle Ice Climbers, Wario much better than Kirby. Maybe Mr. Game & Watch.... I have yet to test this, but I don't think so.

That's my thought's. If you know the match up's, Kirby doesn't really need a secondary to place well in a tourney, if you don't know the match up's, I would consider you to have a secondary that can handle his bad match up's.

Also, I love your avatar gopobox. =3

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
That's my thought's. If you know the match up's, Kirby doesn't really need a secondary to place well in a tourney, if you don't know the match up's, I would consider you to have a secondary that can handle his bad match up's.
Definitely true! If you learn Kirby to a high level, you'll probably not need any secondary, since he is a very solid character with no exploitable weaknesses. Still... I second ZSS because she's a very fast character with more range, so I can do better against a couple of MU's than with Kirby (G&W, Luigi [obliterated], and DDD's who are used to my Kirby's styles)...

gopobox

Smash Journeyman
Cool.

Im gonna try be a solo kirby for my next tourney. Practice him a lot too ^^

I used to main falco but hes too boring...

Well thansk for your helps....

TrIkZ

Smash Cadet
Cool.

Im gonna try be a solo kirby for my next tourney. Practice him a lot too ^^

I used to main falco but hes too boring...

Well thansk for your helps....
Yeah you should read the matchups CP the best stages which is usualy JJ or Pokemon stadium.
I don't like the idea of kirby going against a marth so i second TL cause hes fun.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Yeah you should read the matchups CP the best stages which is usualy JJ or Pokemon stadium.
Don't forget to add Rainbow Cruise, that fix's match up's verses Snake, and Ice Climbers mostly. Pokemon Stadium you have to abuse the Rock and Water field for Kirby's advantage.

I don't like the idea of kirby going against a marth so i second TL cause hes fun.
Just to let you know, Toon Link does around even or worst than Kirby when facing Marth depending on where you go, and if a Marth main know how to fight Toon Link. Camping Marth is very hard with Toon Link. >.<

TrIkZ

Smash Cadet
Don't forget to add Rainbow Cruise, that fix's match up's verses Snake, and Ice Climbers mostly. Pokemon Stadium you have to abuse the Rock and Water field for Kirby's advantage.

Oh thats right, i almost forgot thankz viper.

Just to let you know, Toon Link does around even or worst than Kirby when facing Marth depending on where you go, and if a Marth main know how to fight Toon Link. Camping Marth is very hard with Toon Link. >.<

Yeah i know, but TL does have projectiles over kirby so we have that and not to mention if the TL knows the match up as well. I would rather pick TL for a marth than a kirby. Thats just me though.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Yeah i know, but TL does have projectiles over kirby so we have that and not to mention if the TL knows the match up as well. I would rather pick TL for a marth than a kirby. Thats just me though.
I must be very weird then, since I'd rather pick Kirby over anyone else... Even my ZSS does bad against Marths, since they can powershield > DB her approaches... I want to play a high level Marth, though.

TrIkZ

Smash Cadet
I must be very weird then, since I'd rather pick Kirby over anyone else... Even my ZSS does bad against Marths, since they can powershield > DB her approaches... I want to play a high level Marth, though.
I mean i just feel more comfortable using TL in that situation. I too yet to play high level marths but the decent ones give me a run for my money. i want to know the MU better.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Just use mk to own marth....

D3 is good against marth too.
But are the match up guides and cp's in this board up to date?
Yep, in fact, the match-up and cp's guides are SO up-to-date, they're under reconstruction right now! :bee:

And I'm still picking Kirby vs Marth. It's easier than anyone else IMO.

TreK

Is "that guy"
What are Kirb's tricks on norfair ? I heard it was a beast stage for him but I don't really know what to do ._.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
What are Kirb's tricks on norfair ? I heard it was a beast stage for him but I don't really know what to do ._.
Kirby does above advantage on Norfair, there's not really many things Kirby can perform in that stage other than sharking under the high platforms and knock other characters to the lava pits. You can pick this stage vs Luigi, Ice Climbers, Diddy Kong, and King Dedede for success, but beware of Olimar, Zamus, Mr. Game & Watch, Ike, and Sheik, they do really well on Norfair.

Marshmallowman

Smash Apprentice
I dont know if i'm not timing it right, but for someone reason whenever i use a gonzo combo on falco sometimes he can jump out of it before i can get in the second grab. is it supposed to be a dash grab, or am i hitting him with Uair too early after the fthrow?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I dont know if i'm not timing it right, but for someone reason whenever i use a gonzo combo on falco sometimes he can jump out of it before i can get in the second grab. is it supposed to be a dash grab, or am i hitting him with Uair too early after the fthrow?
People can escape the fthrow combo, so it's not really a "combo" per sé. Try this when people get smart and jump out of your combo:

fthrow > uair > turn-around utilt (also known as reverse utilt) > bair

That has a better chance of working and does around the same damage, if not a little less.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Hey, Kirby's, I'm a Wolf. Imagine that.

I've been having trouble with Kirby... Hell, not even Kirby. I'm having trouble with Chudat. lol I played him in a tourney, and he ***** me, mostly because I have no Kirby exp and because he's just amazing. Can I be directed to a thread or post so I can figure out when Wolf can get out of certain juggles, combos, and what not? I don't have a good kirby to play against.

Thanks if you can for betraying your char. ^_^

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Lol, Asaph. :p

Sadly, there are no threads that have talked about Kirby's weaknesses against Wolf, and we still haven't discussed the Kirby:Wolf MU in the thread. So, for now, you'll just have to try different things if your usual strategy fails. :ohwell:

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Lol, Asaph. :p
lol

I'm not looking for strategies, really. I was hoping someone might know off hand if Wolf should SDI out of the utilt juggle, or shine, or jump, etc. And how long the "gonzo combo" works til he can get out specifically.

If no one knows this here from playing a friend's Wolf or something, that's fine. I'll get a friend to juggle me and see what I can do.

Thanks.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Well, let's see... Since you're asking such a vague question (practically everything that should be done in Wolf vs Kirby), it'd be a better idea to just wait until they discuss it in the MU thread. Kirby does very well against all space animals, so you'll have a problem fighting them... And if Kirby knows the MU in and out, it's going to be a very hard fight. I'd suggest a secondary, one that counters Kirby along with everyone else you hate fighting.

But, to answer at least the questions you asked...

Asaph said:
I'm not looking for strategies, really. I was hoping someone might know off hand if Wolf should SDI out of the utilt juggle, or shine, or jump, etc. And how long the "gonzo combo" works til he can get out specifically.
You should SDI away, since Kirby utilts you while you're in hitstun. SDI up and away from Kirby and mash the jump button when you feel like you can get out of it, since Wolf's falling speed is not really a pro in this situation...

And the fthrow combo, well, 2 fthrows (if he grabbed you at 0%). After the second one, you'll be able to get out easily since your % will be high enough to send you flying farther by the uair, so just DI up and try to footstool Kirby when he touches the floor.

Oh and, avoid pulling any 'Asaphs' off in this MU, since Kirby can come back from the depths of any stage... :D

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Well, let's see... Since you're asking such a vague question (practically everything that should be done in Wolf vs Kirby), it'd be a better idea to just wait until they discuss it in the MU thread. Kirby does very well against all space animals, so you'll have a problem fighting them... And if Kirby knows the MU in and out, it's going to be a very hard fight. I'd suggest a secondary, one that counters Kirby along with everyone else you hate fighting.

But, to answer at least the questions you asked...
I have Fox and GnW to back me up if I need them. Thanks for the advice.

You should SDI away, since Kirby utilts you while you're in hitstun. SDI up and away from Kirby and mash the jump button when you feel like you can get out of it, since Wolf's falling speed is not really a pro in this situation...

And the fthrow combo, well, 2 fthrows (if he grabbed you at 0%). After the second one, you'll be able to get out easily since your % will be high enough to send you flying farther by the uair, so just DI up and try to footstool Kirby when he touches the floor.
Alright, thanks for the advice.

Oh and, avoid pulling any 'Asaphs' off in this MU, since Kirby can come back from the depths of any stage... :D
lol A feature only unlocked when the player is sandbagging. =D

gopobox

Smash Journeyman
I got a question, or more about asking your opinion...

If anyone knows falco, you should know iap (instant aerial phantasm)

Well i just had the habit for that when i was playing with kirby..
kirby just jumps and does a hammer, however the hammer animation shows but the hammer doesnt hit or anything. It just shows the beginning animation of the hammer where kirby takes the backswing..

This good for mindgames???

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Not really, since when you hit the ground, it would take you 1.30 seconds to get back up from doing the attack, about that time Falco could use his Phantasm to punish you. But it's good to try something new though. Hammer Out Of Shield would work much better in my option.

Top Bottom