• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

Number 4 is not sure because I didn't try it yet and number 1, Kirby is light, one of the lightest so he can't be chaingrabbed right?

~Shao~

Smash Ace
In ICs chaingrabs, you don't get actually thrown, they regrab you right when your leaving their hands, so weight only affects how long the throw animation lasts before you're thrown. Heavy-weights > long animation, light-weights > faster animation.

And Kirby is like one of the easiest characters to chaingrab (with ICs)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Number 4 is not sure because I didn't try it yet and number 1, Kirby is light, one of the lightest so he can't be chaingrabbed right?
As Shao said, he is one of the 2-3 easiest to CG. People who pick up ICs and get ***** by most of the cast for not being able to play their character well can still CG us :p

Also, what is this Belay you're talking about? I am unfamiliar with IC terms.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I don't see anything hard about ICs
Hi. You're wrong.

1.) Chaingrabs are useless against Kirby
What do you mean? If you mean he's hard to chaingrab, he's not. He's probably one of the easiest, if not the easiest to chaingrab. His timing is extremely easy.

2.) Ice shots aren't that hard to deal with unless they're desych'ed (Shield the ice -_o)
Okay, even if they're not hard to deal with, Ice Blocks aren't exactly the main part of the Ice Climbers' metagame. >_> Blizzard on the other hand, is almost impossible to get through unless you Final Cutter it. Lots of ending lag ftw against ICs I guess. Not.

If they're desynching Ice Blocks against you as Kirby, you have to approach. There's nothing else he can do because he doesn't have a projectile to compete against Ice Blocks like R.O.B. or Snake. Approaching against ICs isn't exactly easy, unless you play bad Ice Climbers players.

3.) Kirby has better range and power than ICs
Are you serious? Blizzard has as much range as Marth's FAir. If it's desynched, it's constantly coming out. The entire reason Ice Climbers vs. Kirby is so bad is because he doesn't have the range to poke or camp them. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

4.) Kirby can dair belay (Not sure)
Big ****ing deal. That's why they have Squall Hammer to recover as well.

You must play some really bad Ice Climbers players if they let you pull off some of the stuff you said here. >_>

SkylerSilver

Smash Journeyman
Omg ICs are soooooo annoying as Kirby Dx I barely try to approach them. Only with Bair and sometimes a grab. Which is a result of me getting grabbed :(
I need more practice.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Okay... didn't think it could be that since that's kind of a stupid arguement. Oops.

Anyway, everything Bunny said.

Oh, okay thanks, guess they are very hard but still Kirby has some hopes (Maybe impossible ' -_-)

Sorry I double posted but you might skip the edit anyway, when I was playing in PS 1 with my bro who was using Lucario doing ninja spiking stuff. When I tried doing another ninja spike, it did the up-throw kirbycide from melee. I kirbycided using U-throw and I saw it O_-. I don't know how it happened. How did it happen?

SkylerSilver

Smash Journeyman
Sorry I double posted but you might skip the edit anyway, when I was playing in PS 1 with my bro who was using Lucario doing ninja spiking stuff. When I tried doing another ninja spike, it did the up-throw kirbycide from melee. I kirbycided using U-throw and I saw it O_-. I don't know how it happened. How did it happen?
You did a Double-Suicide. Check out the last page in the Ninja Spike thread.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Yeah, took a game off of YBM way back when because of it, and one off of Blue Rogue recently due to it (Pretty sure both players were sandbagging both times though, and that just caught them off guard.).

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Why would people even sandbag? I find playing under my full potential degrading for both me AND my opponents.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Aww, thats not nice. : /

Still, how will you get better, if people "go easy on you"? You'll just end up keeping your bad habits and repeating the same mistakes... And not teaching others how to play will only make it so that you, as a sandbagger (not directed at fromundaman, more like talking as if to a 2nd person point of view), can't adapt to what your opponents would adapt to... So, you would ALSO keep your bad habits and repeat the same mistakes! The game would stagnate between people who "go easy" on the ones who don't know how to play, and the ones who can't learn properly because others are going easy on them.

And, fromundaman, I dunno about you not knowing how to play... I'm pretty sure they weren't 3-stocking/2-stocking you all the time when they played their best against you, so it wasn't like you were so overwhelmed the only thing you were paying attention to was surviving. : /

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I sometimes sandbag unintentionally if I don't have to go all otu to beat them anyway. x.x I can't help it though.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Well, I guess if you can't help it, you can't help it. Still, getting rid of the habit of going easy on others because there's nothing on the line, will get you ready for when there's something on the line. Who's to say you might want to enter a match with a strategy due to what you read on SWF or what worked against your friends, but during the tourney, your friends play different on you and you get massacred? The cycle would go on, and people would never help each other get better... Giving positive critiques is nice and all, but theoretical advice is different than practical aid, where you can punish your opponent over and over again for the mistakes he does, to make him realize that he should never be approaching the situation like that.

Neon304

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure if I looked, I could find the answer to this somewhere, but I'm in to big of a hurry to really look. Are there any videos with instructions on how to cg with Kirby? Its one thing to read how to do it, its another to see it, but I really need to have the 2 together at once.

~Shao~

Smash Ace
Kirby can't chaingrab. We have grab strings (at low %s). If you watch a match from a Kirby player, you'll probably see at least once.

Mid-weights: grab > f-throw > DI in opponents direction + u-air > reverse u-tilt > b-air OR f-throw > side-b (harder to land)
Heavy-weights/Fast-fallers: grab > f-throw > DI in opponents direction + u-air > regrab > f-throw > DI in opponents direction + u-air > f-smash (usually gets powershielded)/f-tilt/other follow-ups)
Most characters: grab > d-throw > u-tilt > shieldgrab/u-tilt > u-air/b-air/f-air

All escapable through SDI/jump (some chars)/up-b (some chars)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
One I've seen YBM do a bit as well is Fthrow>Uair>Dthrow>Utilt>Bair.

That being said, SDI kills it too, but people don't seem to expect it for some reason.

Also, thanks Kewk, but, to be fair, while I was once 'okay', I am now so out of practice that I am bad. That being said, I have picked up better practice habits, so some aspects improved, and hopefully by the time Pound 4 comes around I'll be decent again :D

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I do the fthow>uair>dthrow>utilt>bair a lot, and while I pay attention to what my opponent reacts like, I might possibly follow up with a second landing bair, and do either a reverse standing grab or an ftilt... It all depends to how my opponent DIs, and if he DIs at all.

A successful throw string from 0% on a heavy character like Snake might look like this for me: fthrow>uair>dthrow>utilt>rising bair>landing bair>(end it with an ftilt, or continue with)reverse standing grab>fthrow>rising fair>fastfalled uair... Thats a LOT of damage, and following my Snake opponent's DI, since he has no GTFO moves in the air that have a good enough hitbox to stop my strings (and his jump probably was used trying to mash out of the double bair string), is easier done than said... Just make sure you got good reaction time to react accordingly and not continue a string (like the one I mentioned here) that probably will fail to work on your opponent.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Well, if you take Snake as an example, he can pull a grenade. He takes damage too, but it interrupts the string.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Well, if you take Snake as an example, he can pull a grenade. He takes damage too, but it interrupts the string.
The awesome thing is, if you aim your attacks where the grenade won't drop once you hit him, it doesn't explode. So, if you hit him and you were about to whiff the attack, the grenade just falls and nothing happens.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
That's good to know. I thought it was just certain attacks (like aerial hammer) didn't set them off.

Triple R

Smash Lord
Yeah, Kewkky's right, it depends where hit him and stuff. Sometimes you can hit him while he's in the air and the grenade just drops. :)

Jab Lock

Smash Rookie
Does Kirby have any 'useless' moves?

F-air perhaps?

Kirby's just the only character I've seen that has uses for all the moves, at least in the matches I've seen. Where most characters sink is their double-hit move *leers at Ganondorf*, but Kirby's is a multi-hit, and I wonder if that makes him the only character without a useless move.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Kirby's Fair is amazing. He really doesn't have any bad moves.
In some matchups, Inhale is the closest thing he has to a "useless" move, and that's only if you're finding it extremely hard to Inhale your opponent. Some opponents with projectiles, or fast movespeed, or disjointed hitboxes can be hard to Inhale, so you end up taking more damage (because Inhale is easily punishable) than you put out.

Jab Lock

Smash Rookie
Kirby's Fair is amazing. He really doesn't have any bad moves.
In some matchups, Inhale is the closest thing he has to a "useless" move, and that's only if you're finding it extremely hard to Inhale your opponent. Some opponents with projectiles, or fast movespeed, or disjointed hitboxes can be hard to Inhale, so you end up taking more damage (because Inhale is easily punishable) than you put out.
What are some examples of it being amazing? Could you please link a video? Thanks for the response, I'm glad I finally found an "all moves" character :)

his nuetral air?
I use shorthop -> Nair against a ledge attack, should I be using something else? I also sometimes use it for midair combat.

BBQTV

Smash Master
i dont know why you need a video dont you know foward air is awesome?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Use it for everything you would use Bair for, but keep in mind that it's 3 hits instead of one. Against an airdodging or spotdodging opponent, it's really useful. It's also good for combos. In the air you can string Fairs together very easily against some opponents. On the ground, if you land after hitting them with the 2nd hit of Fair, it can easily lead into a grab.

Jab Lock

Smash Rookie
Use it for everything you would use Bair for, but keep in mind that it's 3 hits instead of one. Against an airdodging or spotdodging opponent, it's really useful. It's also good for combos. In the air you can string Fairs together very easily against some opponents. On the ground, if you land after hitting them with the 2nd hit of Fair, it can easily lead into a grab.
Ah, I've been using Nair for air and spot dodgers. What's Nair good for then?

Thanks for the answers, I feel like I'm asking too many questions :(

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
All his moves have uses. I personally only use n-air to cancel out landing lag from when you use stone, or aerial hammers (when you do this, regain control in the air, then land, you get nasty lag)... Just n-air while landing and you won't have the horrible lag. I guess it's also good for when you bair won't reach them, or your fair won't be as useful.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I use shorthop -> Nair against a ledge attack, should I be using something else? I also sometimes use it for midair combat.
See, that right there would be a good time for Fair (Or air hammer, or Dair, or Uair...).

Also, there are quite a few characters who, IMO, have no useless moves. Some are more useful than others, but few have *useless* moves IMO.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I'm pretty sure Dair works if you do it long enough ahead of time

Top Bottom