• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby series = OVERUSED in Brawl

Vect0r

Smash Journeyman
Now I know many people already know this, but i'd like to point out in greater detail how terribly overused the Kirby series are in Brawl.

Of course this game is made by Sakurai himself, so it makes sense that Kirby gets some extra recognition in the game, but he just goes WAY too far this time. Kirby isn't even THAT popular to begin with compared to Mario, Sonic, Zelda, Donkey Kong etc.

First, the Kirby characters. All 3 of them are considered REALLY good characters, Meta Jesus needs no introduction, D3 is also totally awesome, and Kirby's good as well.
While some of Nintendo's most popular and loveable characters (Mario, Link, Samus) are considered pretty darn terrible. And these are the flagship characters we're talking about. These three are the top sellers, the main guys. Yet they're freaking terrible characters.

Now, take a look at Subspace Emissary. If you're familiar with Kirby you'll see how similar the levels are compared to Kirby games. The way you fight enemies and bosses by beating them up, all the different healing items and food, the overall style is A LOT like Kirby.

And it's not just obvious ingame. In the story of SSE, Kirby characters play a HUGE role more than any other character. MK's halberd is being used by the bad guys to spread chaos, without the Halberd it wouldn't have been so easy. Mario gets blown away out of the stadium right away when the Halberd appears, while Kirby rescues the princess. Oh but it gets better. (SPOILERS AHEAD)

During the big fight against the Subspace cannon, where the Great Maze lies, while the Starfox ship gets blown away, It's Kirby who destroys the cannon with the dragoon. That's BS.

And when Tabuu turns everyone into trophies, some characters are revived thanks to D3's magical buttons, this saves some characters so they can rescue the others. Without the buttons, who knows what Tabuu could've done, right?

I don't have much more to say, but it had to be said (once again) how obvious it is. Yeah...
Feel free to discuss this matter.

Also... as for tl;dr... Sakurai: *laughs*

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
While some of Nintendo's most popular and loveable characters (Mario, Link, Samus) are considered pretty darn terrible. And these are the flagship characters we're talking about. These three are the top sellers, the main guys.
Metroid doesn't sell too well. The line goes like this:
Mario
Pokemon
Zelda
Donkey Kong
Touch!-Generations

If I remember correctly. I might be mistaken tho. Metroid is 8th-placed-ish, with Kirby being ahead of the series.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
He just wants to make the game he created feel at home in the other game he created.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Metroid doesn't sell too well. The line goes like this:
Mario
Pokemon
Zelda
Donkey Kong
Touch!-Generations

If I remember correctly. I might be mistaken tho. Metroid is 8th-placed-ish, with Kirby being ahead of the series.
Mario actually outsells pokemon? I thought it was because Mario has been around longer, so it has had more time to sell it's games.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Mario actually outsells pokemon? I thought it was because Mario has been around longer, so it has had more time to sell it's games.
Yea, Mario has higher sale numbers than Pokemon, at least as of now.

What surprised me more on that was that Donkey Kong is actually placed 4th. XD

day-day

Smash Ace
He just wants to make the game he created feel at home in the other game he created.

Lol at the Sakurai pic :laugh:
What was the last game DK even had? The jungle beat one that they remade for Wii?
Metroid hasn't had a game since prime 3 or hunters I don't think plus metroid games don't come out a lot anyway. It's probably the lowest selling nintendo series they have. The new one coming out though looks good.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend

Metroid hasn't had a game since prime 3 or hunters I don't think plus metroid games don't come out a lot anyway. It's probably the lowest selling nintendo series they have.
No, Metroid is still among the Top 10.
I forgot which were the other 3 big-selling series next to the Top 5, Metroid and Kirby, to be honest, tho (it's neither Fire Emblem nor Star Fox nor F-Zero, though).

The lowest selling Nintendo series probably would be a newly started one or one of the one-shots.
Nintendo has a few extremely obscure series and games (Famicom Detective Club, Captain Rainbow or Joy Mech Fight, for instance) that all definitely haven't sold well.

But Metroid is definitely not among them, haha... it soundly beats out most of the other Nintendo series.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Yea, Mario has higher sale numbers than Pokemon, at least as of now.

What surprised me more on that was that Donkey Kong is actually placed 4th. XD
Thats depressing. The Mario games are good, but you beat them all in a day, where Pokemon takes weeks to do legit. Plus, pokemon has a competitive scene.

The DK games are a lot like pokemon, they come out infrequentley, but are always amazing, IMO.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Does metroid even beat out Pikmin or animal crossing? It should if it doesn't.
Yes, it definitely does beat Pikmin - easily. Although I'm not sure about Animal Crossing, that climbed the ladder pretty quickly (I think that's one of the Top 10 series I'm missing, actually).

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Donkey Cong Country WAS a pretty awesome game. :lick:
DKC 1 wasnt as good

DKC 2 WAS GODLY

DKC 3 was meh

DK 64 was horrible..way to much collecting

Diddy Kong Racing was very fun, i enjoyed it very much

havent played any other ones after that, but Donkey Kong Country 2 was loving amazing in every sense of the words
Wow. Well maybe the new metroid game coming out will help the series rise in sales. You know about the new one don't you Spade?
Other M looks interesting. It also will have 2 cameras apparently; 1 for side/platforming and one for 3rd person. It looks like they're bringing back some old elements from the SNES series

Im curious to know where Sonic places

REL38

Smash Lord
Metroid M seems like it'll be a hit or miss title. Nintendo will either make a great game or mediocre one. We'll wait n see.

Metroid Trilogy might bring in some new fans, but it's really just the first two getting Wii controls.

The first two Donkey Kong Country games were pure win. The ones after that were pretty bad, more so stuff after the gamecube.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
I think that Donkey Kong 64 had alot of interesting gimmicks to it but it was way to heavily focused on power ups for all the characters..and since its RareWare that did the title you KNOW theres gonna be collecting involved

wanna talk about a similar game that was much more successful?

Banjo Kazooie

****ing
BLEW
MY
MIND

day-day

Smash Ace
DKC 1 wasnt as good

DKC 2 WAS GODLY

DKC 3 was meh

DK 64 was horrible..way to much collecting

Diddy Kong Racing was very fun, i enjoyed it very much

havent played any other ones after that, but Donkey Kong Country 2 was loving amazing in every sense of the words

Other M looks interesting. It also will have 2 cameras apparently; 1 for side/platforming and one for 3rd person. It looks like they're bringing back some old elements from the SNES series

DK 64 was amazing at it's time even though I could never beat it lol
Didn't know that Other M had two cameras in it. Guess they are going back to it's roots.
Sonic's 23rd on the tier list, much higher than before. He was previously 31st on the list.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
DK 64 was amazing at it's time even though I could never beat it lol
Didn't know that Other M had two cameras in it. Guess they are going back to it's roots.
Sonic's 23rd on the tier list, much higher than before. He was previously 31st on the list.
If you look at that trailer yes you can tell they've got 2 cameras. Which will be neat since in the Prime series it was all 1st person-shooter. Which was fine with me Retro did a great job with the water effects dripping on the visor, + all the effects involved especially scanning, keeping track of ammo/missiles etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut_8qkC2KUQ

ninja edit; my bad its first person and 3rd person camera not side scrolling..but there could be one of those if they incoperate the same morphball platforming camera used in the prime series

Throwing this out there but; Day-day, since Other M isnt out yet we cannot safely assume they'll keep those camera views though it's tentative to change untill they actually release it. So we'll see

Also im EXTREMELY excited about Golden Sun DS. I loved the 2 for the GBA and am SO looking forward to this installment.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
Oddly enough, I liked all 3 of the Donkey Kong Country games. DK64 was good, but when they went to the GCN, they should've gone with a similar play style instead of letting the bongos take over the series.

Perhaps it's because I focus more on critical success that I thought Metroid Prime was so widely famous.

As for the Wii Kirby game, their best bet is to release it by the end of 2011 and put full effort into it, blowing The Crystal Shards out of the water. Make it a killer title, and maybe the series will be treated with similar respect to Mario, Zelda, and Metroid.

day-day

Smash Ace
If you look at that trailer yes you can tell they've got 2 cameras. Which will be neat since in the Prime series it was all 1st person-shooter. Which was fine with me Retro did a great job with the water effects dripping on the visor, + all the effects involved especially scanning, keeping track of ammo/missiles etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut_8qkC2KUQ

ninja edit; my bad its first person and 3rd person camera not side scrolling..but there could be one of those if they incoperate the same morphball platforming camera used in the prime series

Throwing this out there but; Day-day, since Other M isnt out yet we cannot safely assume they'll keep those camera views though it's tentative to change untill they actually release it. So we'll see

Also im EXTREMELY excited about Golden Sun DS. I loved the 2 for the GBA and am SO looking forward to this installment.
Oh, haven't seen the trailer just screenshots. Haven't played prime 2 or 3 but loved the first. So it's like the original metroid and prime mixed together then? It looks find the way it is but yea, we'll see what they do with it.
Haven't played GS though. Is it good?
on topic
Of course Kirbs and friends would be used throughout the whole thing. Their Saks pride and joy.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Oh, haven't seen the trailer just screenshots. Haven't played prime 2 or 3 but loved the first. So it's like the original metroid and prime mixed together then? It looks find the way it is but yea, we'll see what they do with it.
Haven't played GS though. Is it good?
on topic
Of course Kirbs and friends would be used throughout the whole thing. Their Saks pride and joy.
Yes, Golden Sun 1/2 for the GBA are very good games. You could probably pick them up used if your lucky. Its a RPG based game;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Sun
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Sun:_The_Lost_Age

Cool thing is, the lost age picks up RIGHT where the first left off. And the first game gives you a long 10 digit code. If you punch this code into The Lost age at the beginning of a new game you get all your equipment/Dijnn back.

I'm not sure, but it has a visual Super Metriod/Metriod feel to it, with a dash of Prime on the side.

Oddly enough, I liked all 3 of the Donkey Kong Country games. DK64 was good, but when they went to the GCN, they should've gone with a similar play style instead of letting the bongos take over the series.

Perhaps it's because I focus more on critical success that I thought Metroid Prime was so widely famous.

As for the Wii Kirby game, their best bet is to release it by the end of 2011 and put full effort into it, blowing The Crystal Shards out of the water. Make it a killer title, and maybe the series will be treated with similar respect to Mario, Zelda, and Metroid.
I think Sonic has a similar problem, where do you take a very kid friendly game? Ultra had alot of mini game stuff in it where as like Kirby's Adventure 1/2/3 was alot more similar to how the original mario games were

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
To The Sleepy One: Threads that date back over a year aren't supposed to be revived.

To D. E.: The trilogy was Dream Land. Adventure was the NES game that introduced Meta-Knight. As for Super Star Ultra having the mini-games, that's how Kirby's remakes are. I just want the next installment, Kirby Wii already!

§leepy God

Smash Master
To The Sleepy One: Threads that date back over a year aren't supposed to be revived.
Not true, the rule is as long as you don't make any unnecessary bumps to very old topics, you are safe, but if you bump a topic with a stupid post or a post to a topic that's been answered, then you shouldn't bump it because it will automatically be closed. Like this thread, the link I posted has the answers already solved already asking a similar question.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
It makes a bit of sense that Kirby gets a bit more recognition in this game. After all, Dedede was axed from 64 because Sakurai didn't want to over represent, and in Melee Kirby just sucked badly.

As for the Wii Kirby game, their best bet is to release it by the end of 2011 and put full effort into it, blowing The Crystal Shards out of the water.
They're gonna have to do more then blow Crystal Shards out of the water. They are going to have to completely destroy Super star ultra with this game. K64 was great and is one of my favorite Kirby games(next to Adventure and SSU), but IMO SSU is the best Kirby game yet....if only a bit on the easy side. At least it isn't Squeak Squad easy. That was just sad.

day-day

Smash Ace
The Kirby chars are all high tier or higher in brawl :/

SSE was practically a Kirby game >_>
that's what we get since the creators of the smash series are the creators of many Kirby games.

Doesn't really bother me that two differently colored puff balls and a overweight mumble pretty much ran the SSE storyline. I just wish that Sonic had a bigger role but I guess his actions were more then enough at the time of development :ohwell:

bleyva

Smash Ace
First, the Kirby characters. All 3 of them are considered REALLY good characters, Meta Jesus needs no introduction, D3 is also totally awesome, and Kirby's good as well.
While some of Nintendo's most popular and loveable characters (Mario, Link, Samus) are considered pretty darn terrible. And these are the flagship characters we're talking about. These three are the top sellers, the main guys. Yet they're freaking terrible characters.
i hate sakurai with a passion for what he did to brawl, and i feel like the over-kirbying of the series is described perfectly here^^^; favoring HIS stupid beanie baby characters at the expense of important flagship characters

regardless of how bad sakurai sucks at his own game, a six-year-old with down syndrome could play every character for 10 minutes and have a good idea of which characters are good or bad. despicable.

mk and ddd are amazing, and mario, link, samus etc are terrible. mario and link are bad, but i think what sakurai did to Samus is especially shameful. i guess he though it would be a good idea to make her huge, slow and incredibly weak? imo shes the worst character, i find her unplayable on any level thanks to Sak.

btw i know this is a bit nitpicky, but does he have to put the kirby series right in the middle of the Character select screen EVERYTIME?!?!

§leepy God

Smash Master
Oh gawd, another "I hate Sakurai" post again, how should I reply again.... Sakurai never attended to make Smash a competitive game, not to mention in some countries this game is for people that's around seven. We all know which characters score high in the tier list, but what some of us don't know is that Smash was never meant to play competitive so he wouldn't know which character performs without items and without playing on every stage. Also the Mario series, LoZ series, and Pokemon series still show more than the Kirby series when it come's to characters, stages, and trophies, Donkey Kong fell off ever since Rare left Nintendo so what's next is Kirby. Only thing that Sakurai is guilty of is the SSE being too based off of Kirby and having the Kirby characters being the main storyline.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
It makes a bit of sense that Kirby gets a bit more recognition in this game. After all, Dedede was axed from 64 because Sakurai didn't want to over represent, and in Melee Kirby just sucked badly.

They're gonna have to do more then blow Crystal Shards out of the water. They are going to have to completely destroy Super star ultra with this game. K64 was great and is one of my favorite Kirby games(next to Adventure and SSU), but IMO SSU is the best Kirby game yet....if only a bit on the easy side. At least it isn't Squeak Squad easy. That was just sad.
screw that, they need to destroy the Canvas Curse Ziggurat to make the best ever.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
I originally thought they added both Meta-Knight and King Dedede because they were in demand by the fans prior to June 2006.

And bleyva... just don't buy Smash 4 if you spit on Sakurai's grave.

Zario777

Smash Apprentice
Is it even possible to beat The Crystal Shards?

@GTA Hater: Thats what i was gonna say!

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Im surprised at those sales numbers.

Is that standardized to per game or as a whole?

Cause I think if it was standardized to purchasers per game on average, I bet zelda would be higher

Uffe

Smash Hero
While Kirby, King DeDeDe and Meta Knight were all seen as the heroes or whatever in the SSE, the true overused in Brawl would be the Mario characters. I know that they all have their own logo, but c'mon, they're all presented in at least one Mario Party game or Mario Kart game. That'd be Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Yoshi and Wario. They've all had their separate game, but each one have met or rivaled each other in some games.

BG3

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure anyone could see Sakurai's bias with this game. It's really darn obvious when you actually look at how much time he spent on everything Kirby related this game has. Really, all you Kirby fans should ask yourself, what Kirby materal in this game is bad? All the characters are high tier or above, the halberd is one of the few stages without OHKO stage hazards, COMPLETE Subspace Emissary bias, a large undeserving amount of trophies, a very unique and useful pack of stickers, has the most remixed music and a majority of them seem well composed and thought out. I could name a bunch of things bad with other series easily, and IMO if you're a Kirby hater, then you might have some trouble enjoying Brawl.

Meccs

@Meccs_
As soon as I started Brawl for the first time the menu reminded me a wwwhhhhhhoooooolllllleeee lot of Kirby AirRide.
But c'mon nobody should be a Kirby hater (especially cause of this)... it's an awesome series :)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Rare left DK? When did this happen? After DK 64 I'm guessing.
Rare left DK when they were bought by Microsoft.
Nintendo still holds the rights on the apes and the crocodiles, though.

Also, lol @ Sakurai hate. We're still in early 2008?

day-day

Smash Ace
Rare left DK when they were bought by Microsoft.
Nintendo still holds the rights on the apes and the crocodiles, though.

Also, lol @ Sakurai hate. We're still in early 2008?

Boy aren't I behind on the times. lol
Their is quite a lot of Sakurai hate on here though. So maybe guy wanted to put a lot of focus on his Kirby characters so he did. Not too much we can do about it now. It might happen again in the next smash bros game and if it does then I'll start caring a lot more then.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
*FACEPALM*

Just because Sega isn't selling consoles anymore doesn't mean they don't own Sonic.

Top Bottom