• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Record the GamePad instead. It's a lot easier, and works better. Just set it up like you'd set up the 3DS or something.
hey that's genius. Im doing well so far but lost to one of MA's best players using dr mario. He feels totally different than reg mario, so many of his attacks outprioritize mine guys what do I do

challonge.com/gusmash4singles

ok I got third. Lost to the Dr Mario player (that also used Pacman against some people) that got first, and the same Sonic as last week that got second.

I recorded some matches, I'll probably upload them.

We need to talk about how to make Kirby godlike though. I definitely was happy because I could Dair->Smash for once, it worked much more consistently than it did in 3ds.

Also, Kongo Jungle and Town & City are amazing Kirby stages, you can get great Upthrow kills on these stages.

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I was at a local today and someone discovered a glitch with Kirby where he was on fire for the remainder of his stock on the Wii U version. Is this very known at all? It was hilarious.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I was at a local today and someone discovered a glitch with Kirby where he was on fire for the remainder of his stock on the Wii U version. Is this very known at all? It was hilarious.
What happened leading up to the glitch?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
What happened leading up to the glitch?
No idea, I just heard yelling when it happened, and it happened twice. Only think that puts him on fire like that is the fully charged Side B I believe. It's just visual/neat.

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
please give kirby's upair a disjoint
this crap happens all the time and it's BS
That's sad because Kirby's U-air had intangible feet in Brawl and that looks like it could be diminished or gone now.
Also, I heard Doc's D-air got buffed in 1.0.4. This could be a result of the patch.

Rochette

Smash Cadet
Don't worry about that, there is always a solution. I remember that I used to do U-Air sometimes against Lucario... It was a bad idea.
Then I forced myself for land shifted U-Air. (later I just bait with that)

:kirby:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
It is kind of the reason I don't use U-Air. I can barely land it. I am still surprise how you guys do it.

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
People are now starting to call him the "worst character in the game" afterwards the meta has shifted and left poor Kirbs in the dust. Won't stop me from playing him, though.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
People are now starting to call him the "worst character in the game" afterwards the meta has shifted and left poor Kirbs in the dust. Won't stop me from playing him, though.
All the better to beat people with him. Anyways, the "worst character in the game" is Mii Swordfighter.

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
All the better to beat people with him. Anyways, the "worst character in the game" is Mii Swordfighter.
Yeah, it is quite infuriating though to hear these complaints on why you use a "basically inferior character." Anyways, I'll likely brush up on Smash 3DS some more and experiment with Kirby during the break when I am not playing Tomodachi Life or Alpha Sapphire (because I don't have the Wii U version, poor me).

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
This going for most of the characters in this game, so what do they know?

This stuff is just going to die out sooner or later.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Pretty much what reserved said, it's the character discussion threads. I'm guessing people are feeling that Kirby has to work too hard for his wins compared to the rest of the cast, and that the other character have much more going for them?

I'll quote something @Shaya responded to @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima with.

Probably because being bad in this game is about not being exceptional, which several (actually: MOST) characters are to varying degrees.
What's special about Kirby? What amazing things are they capable of?

This is a rhetorical question.
Seems like we're the only ones all that interested in Kirby. Every time I've tried to get some character talk on Kirby going in the competitive character thread, the subject gets quickly changed back to the the so-call top and high tiers. Seems like they really do feel he's not too good.

Last edited:

KirbyInk

Smash Rookie
Kirby does have to work harder than any other character. Kirby's approach options are abysmal. Kirby players need to 'juke' opponents in order to land hits. Any other character in the game has an 'easy' way to hit opponents. Most F-Attacks have a built in dash, along with large hitboxes.

Kirby will lose to most F-Attacks, specials, or grabs by either range, hitbox, or priority when approaching. And if we do manage to land a hit our knockback at low percents is super high, meaning we are lucky to follow up at all. Coupled with our low damage, its just rough to build %.

SSB4 has a ton of shield and roll dodging with ground play. This would be good if Kirby couldn't be grabbed out of so many moves by other characters.

Air play is atrocious too. Our short jumps are really high, and fast - which limits our approach options even more. The animation lag on Dair, Air Dodging, and Nair are very painful too. This is exemplified with the short range Kirby has.

This all leads to Kirby being a character that requires a ton of mental reads, most matchup knowledge, and relying on the opponent to make mistakes or fall for the jukes.

I win with Kirby just fine, but I'm having to try so much harder than if I played Captain Falcon, ZSS, or even Link.

I feel as if Kirby is a character that was designed to have good air game, short range, fast animations, low damage, and low scaling knockback. Which would lead to combos if you're able to quickly follow up where the opponent moves, and counter their counters in the air. Yet, Sakurai comes off as anti-combo, and this really draws the question on Kirby.

The thing I don't get is why Kirby is so restrained while Jigglypuff, Diddy Kong, and even ZSS have singular traits that are much better than Kirbys, with no clear drawbacks to them. And even most characters have combos that they can pull off 80%+ of the time with skill. With Kirby any follow up hits past 35% feel like luck or misplay from the opponent.

Don't understand why nearly every character has very unique, clearly identifiable game play that is focused on in their balancing. Meanwhile Kirby's entire purpose seems to be restricted.

Kirby's knockback scaling should be reduced on regular attacks, and the overall slowness of Kirby should be looked into. Like, other characters do what Kirby does, just better, and faster. If you're very good with Kirby, chances are you'd perform much better with another character.

MaximTomato

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1118-0313-9599
Come on guys, he's not that bad. You make it sound as if he's the worst character in the game. Everyone has their flaws and while we should be aware of them, we shouldn't make them bigger than they actually are. We should focus on the positives like his excellent edge guarding game or his off-stage play for example, and see how we can make the most of those. He's also not bad at racking up damage either, we just have to have a game plan and be adaptable.

Rochette

Smash Cadet
I agree with that talking Tomato !

Like in Brawl, people underestimates Kirby...

What's special about Kirby? What amazing things are they capable of?
It seems clear to me :

Inhale : We have to work on strategy, on every character, for land it and use the new ability.
Ducking : I saw a Kirby amiibo using some intersting things in purpose or not but it was good.

Last edited:

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I GOT IT.

I WILL BECOME AMAZING. EDIT-- I JUST MADE A CLUTCH PURCHASE. GOT THE LAST GC ADAPTER AVAILABLE FOR 20 BUCKS. DOUBLE EDIT-- I AM UPSET. MY AMIIBO IS NOT SQUISHY.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
To be honest, I think Kirby is pretty good in this game. While I didn't really play competitively in Brawl, he seems far more viable now, especially with Custom Moves. I feel like he DOES require more effort than others, though.

chaosmasterro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chaosmasterro
Once custom moves are legal in normal tourney play there's going to be a brand new meta game. I don't even really play KIrby without his customs since my only reliable special is hammer and final cutter on good days.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Yeah, it is quite infuriating though to hear these complaints on why you use a "basically inferior character." Anyways, I'll likely brush up on Smash 3DS some more and experiment with Kirby during the break when I am not playing Tomodachi Life or Alpha Sapphire (because I don't have the Wii U version, poor me).
Tell people you don't like to play the game on Easy Mode. B)

Rochette

Smash Cadet
Once custom moves are legal in normal tourney play there's going to be a brand new meta game. I don't even really play KIrby without his customs since my only reliable special is hammer and final cutter on good days.
If custom moves are legal in Apex, or other tourney, I'll use custom moves. But I have real doubt about it.

chaosmasterro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chaosmasterro
If custom moves are legal in Apex, or other tourney, I'll use custom moves. But I have real doubt about it.
I doubt customs will be legal by apex but I'm expecting around February or March people will start using customs as regular tournament standards.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Sorry guys, customization for Kirby will not solve his problems; if anything it opens up more problems for him... approximately 50 more problems with all the other characters having more difficult options for Kirby to work around. If you think a leaping Inhale or giant Hammer is going to improve Kirby's atrocious Air Speed and B-air recovery lag, then you are mistaken.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Sorry guys, customization for Kirby will not solve his problems; if anything it opens up more problems for him... approximately 50 more problems with all the other characters having more difficult options for Kirby to work around. If you think a leaping Inhale or giant Hammer is going to improve Kirby's atrocious Air Speed and B-air recovery lag, then you are mistaken.
Upper Cutter though.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Honestly Upper Cutter is in the top percentage of UpBs, customs, and possibly even moves in general.
I really haven't looked too in-depth on most characters' custom moves though, man that's gonna take forever to learn.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Upper cutter is cool if you don't like making lucky unfortunate moments for the opponent with the original.

Also, I'm in the mood for smashing. My 84% win rate on FG is not really fun for me anymore. Anyone can join, but if I randomly disconnect, that's my defected wii u doing its job. Crash.

Last edited:

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Upper cutter is pretty amazing, @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima and I have been practicing combo string that end with Upper cutter. Unfortnately I don't really remember the inputs since I was practicing them as part of mix-ups. But uptilt strings, to aerial juggles to upper cutter seemed like it's decent for damage.

I remember at one point when we were playing, a battle of ours was pretty much mostly offstage as we kept trying to ledge trump, gimp and upper cutter each other. Air Battles!

My win-rate on for glory for the Wii U is 0%. Because I haven't touched for glory there.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Well I lost my first match to a dedede :x feels bad when you beat him up to 150 and then he kills you at 90 ouch

Edit: won 3 sets before I lost to Dthrow-> Upair: The Character
the games were close but I couldn't save the replays because the wiiu is ******** and ends the results screen the instant ONE player presses start or unplugs :/

Need2practice but I've barely played wifi lately because my wifi's been awful

Last edited:

~Shao~

Smash Ace
Hey guys, what's up? Long time no see. Nice to see some familiar names from the Brawl Kirby boards around here (Kewkky, Viper, Triple R, Asidoh (sorry, had to do this), t!mmy). Hopefully some of you remember me :)

I'll try to drop by once in a while

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
After a night of testing with @ GrnFzzTgr GrnFzzTgr , I've been able to re-create another Kirby glitch - Kirby's Hot Head! (yes it's a horrible name, don't kill me)

Several members have talked about Kirby randomly catching on fire mid-match. I was interested in this, so I've been trying to re-create it. With the help of GrnFzzTgr, I've been able to re-create this glitch.

---

Step 1 - Positioning the Characters

To start this glitch, you'll need two players. One of them has to be Kirby, and the other can be any character. However, it is recommended the other player is a character who has a fast aerial. Position the characters right next to each other, with their backs facing each other. After that is done, have Kirby charge up Hammer Flip.

Step 2 - Catching Fire

While Hammer Flip is fully charged, have Kirby jump upwards. While starting to fall, have him release Hammer Flip. Right before Hammer Flip is released, quickly jump up and attack Kirby. The timing is incredibly strict with this glitch. You must hit Kirby right after he starts swinging the Hammer, but before the hitbox comes out. If done succesfully, Kirby will fly away, but have the fire attached to him.

Notes:

The following will de-activate this glitch:

- Getting K.O.'d

- Using Hammer Flip

- Getting hit during Final Cutter

- Being put into a helpless state (so no Upper Cutter!)

If you can avoid those, which shouldn't be too hard, you can keep the glitch up for the remainder of your stock.

The fire is attached slightly above Kirby's left or right hand, where the Hammer would usually be. Which hand the fire is located on depends on where Kirby is facing, as he's one of the characters who is mirrored.

If this was done in an actual match, you could use it to make it harder for your opponent to see what you are doing. Along with that, it's just distracting in general.

---

Here's some more pictures of this glitch!

Due to it being stuck to Kirby's hand, if he quickly moves around with rapid hand movements (rolling, get-up, ledge actions) then the fire will trail behind him.

As seen here, the fire is connected to Kirby's hand. Multiple Kirbys can have the glitch activated at a time.

When using Kirby's rapid jab, as it's only a frame animation, the fire engulfs Kirby as his hand quickly moves around. If used with multiple Kirby, the frame rate will actually drop.

Kirby's "Hi!" taunt... except with fire!

When using Neutral Air, due to how Kirby spins around, he is engulfed in the flames, making it incredibly hard to see him.

Kirby, don't play with fire!

When Kirby ducks, the fire fully covers him, making him impossible to see.

When you eat the opponent, the fire seems to grow in size. If you move left and right, doing the overweight Popstar Shuffle, the flames swoosh around.

As Kirby moves so fast when using Up Throw, the fire trails behind him. Either Kirby is practicing his Rocket copy ability, or he had too much burritos.

Kirby dances frantically, trying to get the fire off him.

It's Fire Kirby!

Last edited:

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
These screen shots came out great! You forgot to mention the weird thing we found when charging F-Smash. That the fire orbits around Kirby's hand despite the fact that his hand doesn't move!

Top Bottom