• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Video Thread

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
So the game was on BF, and Armada had amazing stage control and platform needles, but I was able to maneuver my crouch tilts and crouch grabs to always be ahead of him in the game. I was also pretty nervous because the whole time I was thinking "oh shoot I'm about to beat one of the best smashers in the world in a legit tournament set." I messed up a lot of recoveries which Armada obviously capitalized on, but overall it was a close 1 stock game.
Was he salty about the loss or did he just brush it off because he was so drink and was just having fun?

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
I recently placed 65th out of 316 entrants at I'm Not Yelling (NorCal Major):
going all Kirby and even beating the #14 rank player Ky in NorCal. I also beat Dkuo who is an amazing Falco and Pikachu.

I also placed 9th out of 92 entrants at GSATF #41:
going all Kirby 2-0'ing Crimson Blur with easy 3 stocks, 2-0'ing drunk Armada's Pichu/Sheik, and a few other great wins.
http://showdowngg.challonge.com/SFGameNight41
http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBM/comments/32lyq8/get_smashed_at_the_foundry_41_ft_armada_leffen/

Here's a match vs MacD at GSATF #41
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA9VUgJCnp8

Nothing else was streamed :(
Keep it up, bro! Someday you'll make it to the NorCal Power Rankings!

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Here are some recent tournaments I went to

Smash At Sac State Weekly #1 May 2, 2015
4th out of 49 in Singles
9 stocks in Crew Battle "Davis vs Sacramento"

C. Rabbit (Kirby) vs Sacramento Crew (Haso = Marth; NintendoKing = Fox, Zelazon = Peach) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urcnqdlhrjc
C. Rabbit (Kirby) vs Zelazon (Peach) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLaFU3IlZn0
C. Rabbit (Marth/Kirby) vs NintendoKing (Falcon) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USOQM8h0aB8
C. Rabbit (Kirby) vs Kev$ (Luigi) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihQKFUNoqnE

A-1 Comic Weeklies Roseville CA, May 6, 2015
5th place out of 30something.

SSC Gamer's Club "Turn the Game Off" Fairfield, CA May 8, 2015
1st out of 19 Melee Singles
http://challonge.com/z0sb5m97
2nd out of 5 Melee Doubles
http://challonge.com/sm03uir1

Bay Area Monthlies "Blue Eyes White Privilege" San Carlos, CA May 9, 2015
4th out of 14 Doubles
https://smash.gg/tournament/bam-11/brackets (Toggle Doubles)
9th out of 50 Singles
https://smash.gg/tournament/bam-11/brackets (Toggle to Singles)

C. Rabbit (Kirby) vs Imyt (Doc) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT3tSrWgt1U
C. Rabbit (Marth/Kirby) vs Toph (Fox/Sheik) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzjKZ9jBrzg

Last edited:

Noce

Smash Rookie
Nice cereal. Always awesome to watch you play on stream and able to learn off of you. I have been having trouble with the marth matchup so it was nice seeing you against that marth. Gives me a little something to learn off of :D.
Also if you have any tips on the marth matchup it would be boss. I am having problems with just getting close and getting hits because he can poke me from a distance or just slash.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
So here is the secret for the Marth match ups.

So you want to crouch for most of the neutral. Most Marths will try to dash dance into d-tilt or hard to punish other tilts/f-smash/side-b. People who tend to not know the match up will go for grabs. D-tilts do throw off your momentum, however your d-tilt can actually poke back at Marth. You don't really out trade him at this point since you're doing 8~10 damage depending on your hit box and he's doing like 11~12. I don't remember the %'s exactly but yeah. His d-tilt does give him more stage control, but the secret is if you catch him into a habit of d-tilting a lot then it's safe to actually approach with f-air. Marth's d-tilt hit box actually only covers feet, so you are pretty much frame positive for like 14 frames to jump over him and get some free f-airs. And Kirby's fair hurts. It combos/strings into your tilts or grabs depending on your opponent's di. Make sure you fastfall mid animation of the f-air so that the f-air landing hitbox lands. When this happens, you stun Marth's shield and you can actually crouch right next to a shielding Marth. He can't really do anything OoS to attack you besides Up-B OoS which will take around 11 frames. This forces easy d-tilt pressure and if Marth goes for a shield grab you pretty much have like 11~14 frames to punish his empty grab. Your options are d-smash, grab, f-smash, f-tilt, turn around u-tilt, d-tilt. These small moves eventually convert into other small moves, but whatever you're still winning the neutral game. The crouching pressure forces Marths to jump and throw fairs. But since your grab range is like 1.6~1.7 units you get easy shield grabs unless the Marth has perfect spacing. Besides that part of the neutral, everything else should be easy. Your b-air should beat most of Marth's aerials if spaced smartly and edgeguarding Marth is super easy. The secret is to dip a kirby hop until him so you're out of range of his aerials but in range to double jump back air off stage. Generally edgeguarding Marths is easy. Respect the tip hit box when he up-B's. Disrespect any Marths recoverying low because they'll never win a trade with your ledge drop back-air. If they're recovering high, use a final cutter or a rock to zone them out back to the easy low marth recovery option.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
I have a very rudimentary but very effective approach to Marth's.....
roll > tilt
FH double bair > multi-jump Bair strings fah days
Dtilt their Up-B recovery until they cry :troll:

Oh and I guess you can get all high level on them and invincible ledge drop Bair their Up-B recovery for style points :kirby:

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
FH double bair is pretty unsafe against high level Marths though lol. Trust me, I've played PewPewU a bit. Roll tilt can be caught on Marth's d-tilt. The best way to play the neutral is just to face Marth and crouch/fair.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
FH double bair is pretty unsafe against high level Marths though lol. Trust me, I've played PewPewU a bit. Roll tilt can be caught on Marth's d-tilt. The best way to play the neutral is just to face Marth and crouch/fair.
I guess we disagree on this, but in my experience:

Once you get a confirm then you can then start a string of Bairs, not only that but it's the only OoS option that is fast enough to hit and start something. I also find it easier to bait out using movement/WD/DD into bair (runaway bairs) since it comes out faster and the hitboxes have much more coverage than Fair. Something that is not used nearly enough by Kirby's is WD back > SH Bair, increased horizontal momentum from the WD and it's faster than Fair. Also roll into Bair (in lieu of tilts) can work wonders as well. Yea Marth can D-tilt, but when he D-tilts the wrong way as you roll you get a free hit/grab on him from behind.

Crouching you can still get D-tilted safely even with CC, our Dtilt has about 75% the range as Marth's and he can spam it faster on account of IASA

Fair isn't that safe actually, Marth's grab range actually allows him to grab Kirby's Foot, right out of the air. Fox's don't know this yet but you can easily Up-Smash Kirby's Fair approach. Not only that but Marth's jab and SHFFL Fair beats Kirby's fair approach all day if we want to get technical, it's not much different from Bair.

You obviously live in a much more talented area, but even those high level players are pretty naive on the MU. When they start figuring it out you might have to alter your tactics.

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Fair does seem to have some merits (I didn't know that the landing hitbox messed with people's shieldstun), but isn't bair strictly better in most instances? Like, bair has less l-cancelled lag, and more shield stun, and is harder to crouch cancel.

You can fox trot in the neutral, and dash away from Marth into bair or just into shield. This way, you can have your back turned to him.

Or you can just turn your back and wavedash around in and out of shield, always having the option to bair oos or just space a bair over Marth's d-tilt.

Also, Marth doesn't really have good answers to inhale. Have you tried short hopping over Marth dtilt with inhale. That option beats shielding, spotdodging, AND crouch cancelling.

Edit: Also, an added benefit of constantly having your back to Marth is sneaking in a wavedash utilt in between swings.

Last edited:

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Fair does seem to have some merits (I didn't know that the landing hitbox messed with people's shieldstun), but isn't bair strictly better in most instances? Like, bair has less l-cancelled lag, and more shield stun, and is harder to crouch cancel.

You can fox trot in the neutral, and dash away from Marth into bair or just into shield. This way, you can have your back turned to him.

Or you can just turn your back and wavedash around in and out of shield, always having the option to bair oos or just space a bair over Marth's d-tilt.

Also, Marth doesn't really have good answers to inhale. Have you tried short hopping over Marth dtilt with inhale. That option beats shielding, spotdodging, AND crouch cancelling.

Edit: Also, an added benefit of constantly having your back to Marth is sneaking in a wavedash utilt in between swings.
Yea and Bair > Utilt is a frame trap I believe and it seems pretty generous in practical use

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
When I know that my opponent will shield, I like doing SH > inhale as a better version of the empty hop > grab mind game and with a more generous hitbox than most command grabs.

Xylq

Smash Rookie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjVEyoIto0c

Picked up Kirby about 5 months ago and I've taken some upseting matches in bracket. Sadly this is the only one that ever got on stream. I figured I'd leave it here in case people didn't know about the 0% instakill (trade) I use at the end of game 1. And, even though the second game is alot of messing around I think it showcases my kirby's style even if you can't see any of my techniques vs....relevant characters. Any critique or questions would be awesome thanks

P.S. the commentator is the most uninspired I have ever heard ever

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
why were you using dash attack so much? the forward throw at the start of the match was questionable, but you probably already know that. i also saw you use stone / hammer time / final cutter in the air, but you probably were just messing around (the stone through PK thunder was funny, btw). the edgeguarding looked questionable, since i saw you jump out there at least once, not do anything, and have to use your jumps to get back.

i only dabble with kirby, so feel free to take this with a grain of NaCl.

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice

Picked up Kirby about 5 months ago and I've taken some upseting matches in bracket. Sadly this is the only one that ever got on stream. I figured I'd leave it here in case people didn't know about the 0% instakill (trade) I use at the end of game 1. And, even though the second game is alot of messing around I think it showcases my kirby's style even if you can't see any of my techniques vs....relevant characters. Any critique or questions would be awesome thanks

When I get my arse back to the Aurora tournament, I challenge you to a Kirby ditto!

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Yea the up-throw backwards off edge is like 2001-2002 stuff

It's even better when you grab them as they recover and then Up throw off edge.

Really though it's a terrible choice because if you're on the tip of the ledge like that already swallowcide works just as often and you keep your life.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord

tl;dr work on your spacing and decision making

~~~

I have a lot of very brutal things to say about your Kirby. But I will hold back my wrath.

Melee Kirby is very unique to Melee. You're playing Kirby in Melee similar to a P:M or Brawl Kirby. This should not be the case. You are in the air way too much. Besides all of the advantage you get out of throwing as many as aerial attacks in the air, stay grounded more and use tilts. Down tilt destroys so many characters in the kirby match up. You have a good idea of back airs, however think about each back air you use and be more intentional about it.

I'm gonna bet you like $500 bucks if you played a good Fox player that was ranked, you wouldn't be in the air so much. This Ness is bad at punishing your air movement, but against a skilled Marth/Fox you will get wrecked. It's much safer (and plus you get more mileage) off of keeping a grounded Kirby. You're probably confused because isn't Kirby's b-air supposed to be a good move in the neutral? It actually isn't because it exposes you to a committed spot. Once you land, it's a free punish or a free spaced move. Use back air to challenge air attacks or if you read air movement against you. Use it also if your opponents are off stage (because they're in the air). So as long as your opponent is on the ground, try to stay on the ground. As long as your opponent is off stage or jumping in the air, wisely use your barrage of B-airs.

Your spacing is also very, questionable. (Questionable was the nicest word I can use LOL) You are always going ham. When you miss an attack, you look like a fool. When you land an attack, you don't get a follow up because of how ham you are, and continue to look like a fool. Just plan everything out as Kirby a little more. If things fail, go back to the neutral and throw d-tilts and get some dash dance grabs. Give yourself a blueprint for success and work hard on making things connect with Kirby, because they will in time.

Keep pursuing your journey as a Kirby player. I am very harsh because people need to stop being bad at Kirby and get better.

Last edited:

Xylq

Smash Rookie
tl;dr work on your spacing and decision making

~~~

I have a lot of very brutal things to say about your Kirby. But I will hold back my wrath.

Melee Kirby is very unique to Melee. You're playing Kirby in Melee similar to a P:M or Brawl Kirby....
Thanks it's what I needed. I wish I could show you games I've had VS ranked players. I like most, play not to seriously when someone tells me they are new (which in itself is a probably a fault of mine on competitive level both for myself and my opponent). I most definitely would stay more grounded in a more serious game. Though I will be the first to admit I suffer from a very pointed attack strategy with Kirby that is not viable for consistent combos or healthy spacing and so far it has been my largest stepping stone in beating players that I consider my peers with Kirby. I'll try to apply as much of what you said in my notes and go from there. It's nice to know that someone can help me with my Kirby. You get this "on your own" feeling playing Kirby in tournament around where I play.

I hope I can get more thought provoking Kirby sets on stream in the next week or two and hopefully I'll be back.

Thanks for being harsh....I like it that way...... . . ..

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Thanks it's what I needed. I wish I could show you games I've had VS ranked players. I like most, play not to seriously when someone tells me they are new (which in itself is a probably a fault of mine on competitive level both for myself and my opponent). I most definitely would stay more grounded in a more serious game. Though I will be the first to admit I suffer from a very pointed attack strategy with Kirby that is not viable for consistent combos or healthy spacing and so far it has been my largest stepping stone in beating players that I consider my peers with Kirby. I'll try to apply as much of what you said in my notes and go from there. It's nice to know that someone can help me with my Kirby. You get this "on your own" feeling playing Kirby in tournament around where I play.

I hope I can get more thought provoking Kirby sets on stream in the next week or two and hopefully I'll be back.

Thanks for being harsh....I like it that way...... . . ..
One thing to add, in spite of going "ham" a lot as C.Rabbit observed, you have a pretty good grasp of Kirby's hitboxes and when you can land them. This shows that you have spent a lot of time with the character, and that will go a long way to propelling you forward and developing a deeper and more optimal game.

Kirby is a very limited character, so most of us Kirby players have taken the route of playing a more solid, risky-free style that involves punishing constantly with grab > up-throws and squeezing every stray hit that we can from poor positioning from the opponent, while remaining as safe as possible ourselves. Thus, I would recommend going for more dash dance grabs which can tilt your opponent into being more aggressive and give you some opportunities for shield grabs or bairs out of shield.

Best of luck, my friend.

Last edited:

Xylq

Smash Rookie
I applied alot of what you all said to the best of my ability this week. I was one win away from playing Lucky and it would have been on steam but I got stuffed by a peach. I've never even looked into the peach matchup but jeez I felt helpless. >_<

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
Good God, props to you people who main Kirby in Melee. I can't risk messing up my Smash 4 Kirby, but you guys are monsters. If I played Kirby in Melee I would def get a stock lead, then Kirbicide and Bthrow/Fthrow them offstage LMAO.

But these vids are pretty swag I want more good Kirby's

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
The Peach match up is a nightmare. I'll talk about it later. LOL
I know, right? The only strategy I got to work against Peach players with Kirby sooometimes is abusing the Fence of Pain and reading with Uairs assuming I can get them above me. And if that doesn't cut it, I switch to my pocket Falcon.

Top Bottom