• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby vs Olimar

Aiur

Smash Cadet
Hello, I'm new to these boards(clearly), and I am not that great at SSBB. The thing is, I can usually beat my friend when I'm using Kirby, but I seem to get beaten to a pulp when he uses Olimar. It's not like Olimar is even his best character. Are there any Olimar specific strategies that you Kirby pros could tell me about? Thanks in advance. ~Aiur

TLDR: I suck against Olimar. Please help. Don't be so lazy, it's only a paragraph. ~Aiur

viparagon

Smash Ace
sure!
welcome to smashboards.

Try using swallow and stealing his ability. Kirbymar can outspam oli. Try approaching with fair and hammer, and you may try using the up+b if he's not that good with the character. It slashes through pikmen and forces him to approach

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
George likes to WoP bairs. That gets annoying at times.

Aiur

Smash Cadet
Thank you very much, on both statements. Approaching was my main problem against Olimar anyway. If I do it from the ground, I get grabbed. If I do it from the air, I get a face full of Pikmin. Annoying little carrots..... Thank you.

Percon

Smash Lord
Don't listen to what viperagon said, he's just toying with you.

Try using search of looking around before you ask something, though. I JUST briefly explained how Kirby does VS Olimar in another topic in the Kirby forum. Check it out.

Pan!c

Smash Rookie
Get him off the stage, and edge hog. Olimar has a hard time recovering if he's below or even with the level of the stage.

Aiur

Smash Cadet
Ok Percon, I'll trust you. You're a director. I'm rewatching Kirby of the Stars right now though. So I'll do that later. *Hums along to Hoshi no Kaabii theme*

Percon

Smash Lord
Don't trust someone just because they have a blue name. ;)

I know people who managed to get a "smash director" tag despite not hosting any tournaments... >_>

Aiur

Smash Cadet
Oh.... Ok.... This is confusing. You better not be one of these people you're talking about. Why would you have warned me then.... Unless you expected me to answer this way. Wait... Maybe you expected me to come to this conclusion.... *Rants*

CompassTosser

Smash Apprentice
Olimar is my second main. I gotta tell ya, edgehogging is his weakness. try to get him off stage after you kill some of his pikmin. He has longer ranged attacks than kirby, but most have lots of lag frames afterwards. Anyways try not to attack much in the air since his aerials are beasts.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Edgeguard... a lot. Always. Forever and ever and ever.

Also, I like doing cutters into the ledge, just to keep them guessing, so they don't know when you'll hit with a shockwave. I especially like this against Olimar since a well-placed shockwave can decimate his pikmin.

Of course, I don't know any good Olimars, so... *Sigh... how I wish Dayton had a smash scene... or at least that I had internet...*

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
lol ur strategy against olimar should be to do aFthrow Uair Utilt Bair combo and when u build about 20 more damage Fsmash or Dsmash him off the stage, then prtoect the edge with Bairs and then grab the edge b4 he Bups to it, many olimars have tricks for getting the edge so make sure ur Bair doesnt miss when ur off the stage, it may take two Bairs, one for b4 he jumps, then one for after he jumps, when approaching stay in the air, and fastfall a Bair and quickly jump again so u dont get grabbed, space Bairs and stay on the ground as little as possible, that should win u the match

Denzi

Smash Master
Bair WoP = Olimar death, especially if you hit him out of his seccond jump.
Actually, offstage Bair -> ledgegrab = Olimar death a lot of the time, as long as he's used his midair jump.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Edgeguard... a lot. Always. Forever and ever and ever.

Also, I like doing cutters into the ledge, just to keep them guessing, so they don't know when you'll hit with a shockwave. I especially like this against Olimar since a well-placed shockwave can decimate his pikmin.

Of course, I don't know any good Olimars, so... *Sigh... how I wish Dayton had a smash scene... or at least that I had internet...*
Ah, good old midwest. Nobody for me to play within a 45 minute drive 8) haven't played offline for a month and a half...

on topic: Listen to Gonzo. What he said is right, even if it's one huge run-on sentence with lots of crazy abbreviations :p

Top Bottom