• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby?

MATTS!

Smash Ace
Since everybody doesn't like kirby so much in super smash 64, can you guys deeply explain to me why Kirby is such a "noobish" character. I don't see anything wrong with him, because if you now how to use your character to the fullest, you should be able to beat any character with any character. They say kirby is 2nd top tier, but I don't belive that, all these random charts people are making is there own opinions, and so this one is mine, but if you guys think he's a "noobish" character, why would he be 2nd tier, and not pikachu? Wouldn't kirby be top tier to be the "noobish" character? Pikachu can destroy kirby and all the other characters the most. Plus doesn't pikachu have the highest priority..? So how comes pikachu is not the noobish character..? Plus Pikachu's cancel and recovery is the best in the game. Kirby does have a good tilt, and up-tilt.... buts thats about it, the down-b rock is horrbile and if you use it, it leaves you open for a grab into a combo, or to get killed. Plus kirby's up+b is only good if it connects for a spike for a quick kill. His regular b button kirby's vacuum-suction, just plain blows... So basically, kirby is just a "A" button character, and thats hard to beat somebody with just using almost nothig but the A button. So how is that "noobish" ? That takes mad skill to beat somebody with just using almost nothing but the A button, especially if you beating really good people.

MATTS!

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Hah I wonder if this can stay free of flame. I doubt it but if it does it might actually be interesting.

IMO a few reasons why Kirby would be considered “Cheap” could be
1) Only char with 2 drills, one being a spike.
2) Long distance recovery
3) Extremely high priority attacks (Utilt, Dair, Bair, Nair, Fsmash and Dsmash)
4) He can easily combo all chars with the simplest attacks (Drills and Utilts)
5) Light weight, which makes him harder to combo (refer to #6)
6) People do not like to lose, and people who are at a mid level of smash skill will fall victim to the most basic of traps, and with all of the other 5 combined, this makes for very easy damage building (combined with extremely strong and fast smashes) and for very unhappy people.

This is just what I think, personally I don’t mind Kirby, I don’t think he is 2nd on the Tier list but I do think he is high up there, as for cheap, ask Sirlin about cheap.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
The reason Pikachu is top and not considered "cheap" is because his combos are actually quite difficult to pull off. Pikachu is mostly top tier because of his amazing gimping skillz (grab > throw off edge > aerial > aerial > recover).

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
The reason Pikachu is top and not considered "cheap" is because his combos are actually quite difficult to pull off. Pikachu is mostly top tier because of his amazing gimping skillz (grab > throw off edge > aerial > aerial > recover).
Don’t forget about Uair to Bair combos, and how hard they are to actually pull off consistently.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Do people mean noobish in easy to use, or broken? If it's the former, oh well, if it's only the latter, scrub.

Guilty of the former. I main Ky in GG.

TehBo49

Smash Ace
In an alternate universe, where Brawl does not suc
Hah I wonder if this can stay free of flame. I doubt it but if it does it might actually be interesting.

IMO a few reasons why Kirby would be considered “Cheap” could be
1) Only char with 2 drills, one being a spike.
2) Long distance recovery
3) Extremely high priority attacks (Utilt, Dair, Bair, Nair, Fsmash and Dsmash)
4) He can easily combo all chars with the simplest attacks (Drills and Utilts)
5) Light weight, which makes him harder to combo (refer to #6)
6) People do not like to lose, and people who are at a mid level of smash skill will fall victim to the most basic of traps, and with all of the other 5 combined, this makes for very easy damage building (combined with extremely strong and fast smashes) and for very unhappy people.

This is just what I think, personally I don’t mind Kirby, I don’t think he is 2nd on the Tier list but I do think he is high up there, as for cheap, ask Sirlin about cheap.
To add on to that:

7) He has the only spike that combos.
8) His u-tilt is the fastest in the game.
9) His edgeguarding is almost as good as Pika's.

@ the OP: Ease of use =/= how good a character is.

PillowPants

Smash Apprentice
i mains kirby in 64, and imo he is easy to use, fast as hell, good priority, and his spike comes out allmost instantly and u barely hafta hit the oponant with it, kirby is jus plain sick

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
To add on to that:

7) He has the only spike that combos.
8) His u-tilt is the fastest in the game.
9) His edgeguarding is almost as good as Pika's.

@ the OP: Ease of use =/= how good a character is.
7) He has the only spike that combos. what do you mean by this..combos O_o

8) His u-tilt is the fastest in the game. fastest maybe not the best for combos though it is really good but Pikas Utilt and foxs are pretty vital and usfull too.

9) His edgeguarding is almost as good as Pika's. I dont agree he is floaty so he is easy to dodge

TehBo49

Smash Ace
In an alternate universe, where Brawl does not suc
7) D-air to u-tilt chains, d-air chaining, d-air to f-smash, etc.

8) Exactly

9) Kirby's d-air alone is enough to stop most characters from recovering. His floatiness actually helps because he won't fall to his death while others with spikes could & his spike animation lasts longer than other spikes.

EDIT: Disregard #7. What I meant to say was Kirby's d-air is the only one that has the advantage of being both a spike & a drill kick. I forgot that Ness can combo with d-air.

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
With lag online and from other people's computers its too ****ing hard to face Kirby in a manor you can stay safe. Otherwise you just get caught in UTILT chains which is his most broken move.

I don't mind playing Kirby's though, unless they just spam UTILT, Fsmash, and Dairs all day, then I simply get bored. I also dislike loosing to this stuff online because it's not my fault usually its the delay and framerate lag.

Overall, people get bored of playing Kirby and against Kirby since overall he's a very boring character. That's a fact, Jack.

B Link

Smash Lord
With lag online and from other people's computers its too ****ing hard to face Kirby in a manor you can stay safe. Otherwise you just get caught in UTILT chains which is his most broken move.

I don't mind playing Kirby's though, unless they just spam UTILT, Fsmash, and Dairs all day, then I simply get bored. I also dislike loosing to this stuff online because it's not my fault usually its the delay and framerate lag.

Overall, people get bored of playing Kirby and against Kirby since overall he's a very boring character. That's a fact, Jack.
exactly

it's very easy to beat a kirby who uses predictable stuff but when it lags and u mess up when it's not your fault your opponent will come under the impression that that stuff works even though it doesn't

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
it's very easy to beat a kirby who uses predictable stuff but when it lags and u mess up when it's not your fault your opponent will come under the impression that that stuff works even though it doesn't
That doesn't matter so much, since that player will then proceed to get ***** by a good player on console, but what does matter is how much it PISSES ME OFF to lose in such a manner :mad:

I actually faced a guy online recently who was the best spammer I've ever faced. He spammed moves with every character he used, and managed to trap me many times - right as I would DI out, he might get me in spam-lock again! Naturally, I beat him each time, but not without shedding some stocks here and there. Whereas on console, this kind of spammer would get decimated in no time.

So yeah, that can apply to Kirby.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
That doesn't matter so much, since that player will then proceed to get ***** by a good player on console, but what does matter is how much it PISSES ME OFF to lose in such a manner :mad:

I actually faced a guy online recently who was the best spammer I've ever faced. He spammed moves with every character he used, and managed to trap me many times - right as I would DI out, he might get me in spam-lock again! Naturally, I beat him each time, but not without shedding some stocks here and there. Whereas on console, this kind of spammer would get decimated in no time.

So yeah, that can apply to Kirby.
Uhh.... What did he spam?... What did he trap you in... combos?

MattNF

Smash Lord
I've never had a problem with Kirby. He's pretty predictable and a lot of people use him so I'm used to fighting him.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
most of noobs use kirby because he has a lot of jumps and its easy as hell to use and has a ton of priority. And most of them sooner or later realize how lame he is. hes a lame cheap-*** character that takes not much skill... and I think any decent smasher thinks hes really boring aswell.

Rupus

BRoomer
BRoomer
Please don't use unnecessary characters in your topic names.

And TehBo:
What about C. Falcon?
Samus?
Yoshi?
DK?

All of those can combo with their spike.

Wavekirby

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't matter if a character has a few cheap moves, if you were truly good with that character you wouldn't spam moves anyway (and btw if someone used the same moves over and over again you WOULD be able to counter them).

Rupus

BRoomer
BRoomer
...Wow.

Who cares?
The rules. said:
4. Other types of Spamming

* Hi, I'm New Here! - You can make these threads in the Meet & Greet room after you join.
* I'm back! - 1 point, 2 weeks length
* I'm leaving! (some exceptions if you're a respected member) 2 points, 2 weeks length
* Topics entitled in All caps - 1 point, 1 week length
* Excessive characters in a topic title such as 10 exclamation points after a word (i.e. Guess what happened!!!!!!!!!!) - 1 point, 1 week length
The mods care.

Wavekirby

Smash Journeyman
People who use kirby in a cheap and n00bish way are pretty easy to read, and if you know what attacks and strategies they will try to use then you have a much better chance of winning. Also it's worth it to note that being a super-lightweight kirby is 2x as easy to K.O. I don't know how many times I've been K.O.'d with kirby with damage lower than 60%.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
People who use kirby in a cheap and n00bish way are pretty easy to read, and if you know what attacks and strategies they will try to use then you have a much better chance of winning. Also it's worth it to note that being a super-lightweight kirby is 2x as easy to K.O. I don't know how many times I've been K.O.'d with kirby with damage lower than 60%.
do you know how to recover?

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
yeah, the heavy chars like link and Captian falcon are way better then kirby when it comes to this

ant-d

Smash Lord
Any character can be thrown off and die at 0%

Good players will not consistently die at 0%

Good Link players will not consistently die at 45%

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I disagree that Kirby is weak. I would really like to see what top players can do with Kirby against other top players. Malva totally owned Takamitsu with Kirby.

Zen Yore

Smash Ace
Montreal, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth
I disagree that Kirby is weak. I would really like to see what top players can do with Kirby against other top players. Malva totally owned Takamitsu with Kirby.
The kirby is weak thang was only a quote from JaimeHR.

And yeah.
If that's true, MATTS! is number 2 best kirby cuz Boom's is way better (LOL)

Ya. My fox easily gets 4 stocked by boom's kirby, and I hate the fact my DI sucks on p2p :(

Top Bottom