• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KirbyKaze's Sheik MU Guide - POSTPONED INDEFINITELY

ajajayjay

Smash Journeyman
What do you know

Kick kills Puff at like 80 or something on DL64 whereas u-smash is much higher

In the middle of FD it's like 70 whereas u-smash is like 85 or so (forget, don't ask me)

That's neat

And walking them towards the edge can shrink it a couple percent too (dropping like 3% off your kill percent is really big vs Puff)

Dat metagame

Thanks Ajaydgjsgrkkw

Zelda keeps getting better and better

Next time I fight HBox maybe it'll say KirbyKaze (Sheik/Zelda) in the Youtube if I do all my rest punishes with her :laugh:
I think it's time to make an account with my smash tag and not a ridiculous assortment of a's and j's

never thought of walking them with zelda for an even earlier kill, clever

Henceforth the strategy will be dubbed THE SILLY GOOSE

SillyGoose

Master of QWOP
I think it's time to make an account with my smash tag and not a ridiculous assortment of a's and j's

never thought of walking them with zelda for an even earlier kill, clever

Henceforth the strategy will be dubbed THE SILLY GOOSE
Thanks for the introduction, ajajayjay. But now I'm afraid I have to kill your smashboards account.

Bing

Smash Master
Anyways getting away from the Brawl subjects and non-sense. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on the vs Peach MU. I have a MM coming up and Im not really sure how to go at the match up...

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Your weak ground moves suck vs her if she's any good when she's on the ground because float nair OOS and crouch cancel > lolcombo / d-smash are good. Tipped f-tilt is kind of the exception to this rule (it's vulnerable to super spaced d-tilt but only Armada seems capable of doing that consistently) but it's not much better than grabbing anyway (although f-tilting to bait a d-smash counterattack and then grabbing the d-smash lag is super pro). I have mixed feelings on the rest of her stuff but generally there's a situation where her non-grab ground game can work (d-smash to push her offstage, for instance).

Grab her as much as you can and whenever possible. Fair into grab. Needles into grab. Fair > wait for her to sidestep or d-smash > grab. Anything into grab. Grab ***** her. It puts her in the air in a comboable position.

Speaking of the air... if she's in the air just outrange her in any way that's appropriate. I like bair. Fair combos into f-tilt into more stuff at lower percents. Uair is also generally good because she's vulnerable as hell during her free fall back to the stage because bair is gigantic - overextending uair chains is often totally acceptable (and even recommended) because of this.

Her shield pressure is unsafe if she jabs (but shield-punishing it requires a decent reaction and there are small nuances to doing it). Your shield holds pretty well vs her d-smash; if you can, try to shield DI away from it so you avoid the late hits to your shield (this decreases the chance of shield stab and improves the window to WD OOS grab punish her). Her aerials' frame advantage on your shield are dependent on a mix of how high they hit your shield and how much damage they do. For instance - a high soft bair is probably punishable. But ground float nair or fair is probably not. So get a feel for it. I eyeball it now for the most part. Rolling away from her is generally good because she's slow and needs a read to catch it unless you're by the edge or something.

Shoot needles to deny turnip pulls if you're on the same plane as her. At a certain distance you can also just dash attack or grab her. If you're just barely too far to punish it directly (or your reaction is off by a bit), you can alternatively get all up in her business and wail on her with SH aerials and crap because her defensive options with the veggie are atrocious. Just watch out for umbrella OOS and turnip throw OOS and you're golden.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
I believe fair and ftilt can stuff Peach's approaches, but you need to do them preemptively. Also, as cheap as it sounds, I think Sheik can run away the whole match and win. Needles, punish her approaches, roll away if applicable, more needles... :estatic: Also, you've gotta be tight on your punishes and combos, especially out of grab. That frame 2 nair that Peach has is really dumb when it comes to breaking combos. :facepalm:

If you're just barely too far to punish it directly (or your reaction is off by a bit), you can alternatively get all up in her business and wail on her with SH aerials and crap because her defensive options with the veggie are atrocious. Just watch out for umbrella OOS and turnip throw OOS and you're golden.
I had some questions about this. Can't Peach still FC aerial OoS and wouldn't that help her defensively when holding a turnip?

soap

Smash Hero
Your fair will lose to her fair if she anticipates yours and does it early enough. Its a bit slow so if u surprise her you can stuff it

:phone:

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I believe fair and ftilt can stuff Peach's approaches, but you need to do them preemptively. Also, as cheap as it sounds, I think Sheik can run away the whole match and win. Needles, punish her approaches, roll away if applicable, more needles... :estatic: Also, you've gotta be tight on your punishes and combos, especially out of grab. That frame 2 nair that Peach has is really dumb when it comes to breaking combos. :facepalm:
Frame 3 nair. You'd think it'd be a big problem 'cuz Sheik doesn't have perfect stun lock combos vs Peach but it's really the least of your worries because Sheik can just outrange the nair anyway if you prepare for it (which you should be doing anyway). Treat it like comboing Luigi except factor in float and you're golden.

And yeah running away works. For a variety of reasons. In a very general sense, fast characters laming Peach out with speed is fairly effective. This lame a$$ strat works especially well for Sheik largely because normally the risk of being so passive vs Peach is that Peach can get turnips basically for free and then establish her zoning float stance as perfectly as she wants (jump throw turnip > float is pretty good). But you have needles so nope, naked float only. You also have a gorgeous b-roll that she needs to read the hell out of to punish directly. Sheik is cheap.

I had some questions about this. Can't Peach still FC aerial OoS and wouldn't that help her defensively when holding a turnip?
I suppose it's worth noting but its lower speed and low range limit its utility vs someone like Sheik. Just don't d-smash or f/d-tilt her shield and suddenly this isn't a big deal.

D

Deleted member

Zeldas abhor sheik, or at the least they take pride in not being reliant on her.
i like both about equally. maybe i'm just weird though.

sheik is fun. you slap people until they quit.

Piemaster37

Smash Rookie
im just wondering why sheik blows bowser up 10-0. im not saying its not true but i just saw it on the match up chart im and curious. does she have an infinite on him or something?

It might not end well. There was this little thing called prohibition in the states about hundred years ago. They banned bowser across the nation. It caused such a problem they had to lift the ban on bowser.

~Koen

Smash Cadet
Played a Fox main for the past few days so this has been crazy helpful to me.

hectohertz

Smash Ace
the puff writeup is amazing. the most detailed/useful/cohesive matchup guide ive ever read. plz keep doing these <3 <3 <3

Swedish Delight

Smash Cadet
I should read these guides before each tournament I go to. KK can you do a video series? I lose track of everything I need to do and miss stuff when reading.

Alulim

Smash Apprentice
Implying that KK hasn't already done multiple write ups in the past. I recommend everybody who hasn't done so already to check the FAQ from the older pages and Sheik threads from the older pages. The amount of gold that has been discussed in the past is staggering.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think DruggedFox once said that whenever he has a question about Melee strategy or information, he usually googles his question or subject + "KirbyKaze" and it comes up.

HodgyDot

Smash Apprentice
Is there any thing like this for fighting Falco?

I have incredible hard time dealing with laser pressure into dash attacks/ wave shines/ jump canceled smashes.

and yes i tried to google it lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom