• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KoF meets Melee

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
This is kind of a fun little alternative way to play sets that people could play at smashfests or friendlies or whatever. It's obviously not meant to replace any official ruleset just something different to do for fun:

Basically it draws on King of Fighter's use of 3 characters per player. For those of you don't know in KoF you select three characters before the match starts and then determine the order in which those characters will appear. Now for this alternative ruleset, before the set both players announce three characters on their team using the double-blind method of character selection for each choice. Then each player determines the order of those characters in secret (tell a friend, write it down, trust the person to not lie etc etc.). The players then reveal the order of their team to their opponent from then on the characters they've chosen and the order in which their picked is locked and cannot be changed. After that stage striking continues as normal and the first match is played. From there though the rules act as a crew battle. Essentially if you win a match you don't go to your next character you keep the same character, forfeit the appropriate number of stocks and fight the next character on the other person's team.

Here's a breakdown:

- Joe and Bill are going to play a match using the above ruleset.

- Joe announces that he will be using Sheik, Falcon, and Mario. While Bill announces that he will be using Marth, Fox and Yoshi. This is done using the double-blind method

- Joe announces an order of Falcon, Mario, Sheik. Bill announces the order of Marth, Yoshi, Fox. This is also done without any knowledge of what order their opponent would choose.

- Stage striking/bans happens and the first match is played between Falcon and Marth.

- For the sake of the example let's say that Bill's Marth wins with 2 stocks left. Joe's Falcon is now eliminated and must now use his Yoshi.

- Joe chooses a stage. Bill's Marth now faces Joe's Yoshi with Bill sacrificing two stocks at the beginning of the match.

- The method continues until one team is eliminated.

Anyways, let me know if anything doesn't make sense. Try it out for yourselves if it sounds fun and let me know how it goes. I appreciate any feedback as well.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I love modes like this in fighting games. I would be down for one in Smash 4. It is one of my favorite ways to play SC2.

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
That's a neat idea, but I fear that would take foreeeever especially with certain matchups.

It's still following the 8 minutes per match rule. The absolute longest a set could take is 24 minutes and that's assuming three time-outs. You're still only playing a maximum of 3 matches in the set.

This is just doing an iron man, haha.
I didn't think that Iron Man's were character or order locked. Other than that though, yeah this is Iron man with double-blind character selection and order locks. *shrugs*

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
It's still following the 8 minutes per match rule. The absolute longest a set could take is 24 minutes and that's assuming three time-outs. You're still only playing a maximum of 3 matches in the set.
Oh I guess that would make sense. I was thinking you would have sets and not just one match.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
Its actually a maximum of 5 matches, but that is beyond the point. I do like this idea, but I was hoping to see a way to get KoF people into Melee and perhaps supporting their game since their entrants are kinda low at EVO lol. In any case, the only problem with this method is that KoF is a game of counterpicks just like Melee. It is pretty neat, but iron man is still closer to KoF than this method. They have the time to do Bo3 and Bo5 matches, but in this format we really do not. Order locking could cause too much of an advantage for one player or the other. I really like this idea, but I believe that iron man matches just cover the goal better.

The only reason this is bad is because it does not allow for counterpicks and there is not time for a Bo3, let alone a Bo5.

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
So basically a 3 character crew battle?
More or less.

I do like this idea, but I was hoping to see a way to get KoF people into Melee and perhaps supporting their game since their entrants are kinda low at EVO lol.
Yeah that would've been a more worthwhile thread.

Its actually a maximum of 5 matches, but that is beyond the point. In any case, the only problem with this method is that KoF is a game of counterpicks just like Melee. It is pretty neat, but iron man is still closer to KoF than this method. They have the time to do Bo3 and Bo5 matches, but in this format we really do not. Order locking could cause too much of an advantage for one player or the other. I really like this idea, but I believe that iron man matches just cover the goal better.
Er, you're about it being a maximum of 5 matches. Additionally, you're probably right about iron man being the better option. Finally, yeah it does negate counter-picking for the most part.

The idea behind order locking is that it would theoretically be a neutral way of selecting characters; there wouldn't be a conscious way of picking an advantageous character match over your opponent.

The only reason this is bad is because it does not allow for counterpicks and there is not time for a Bo3, let alone a Bo5.
The whole set would just be going through the three characters. You're not going through the process 3 or even 5 times. You get three characters for the whole set and that's it.

They have the\time to do Bo3 and Bo5 matches, but in this format we really do not.
I don't understand where the concern for time constraints is coming from; this is for smashfests and casual events and not for tournaments where time would be a factor.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
I mostly just feel like its too time consuming anyways. I know the point of it. I was just keeping the comparison of KoF. KoF goes through the process 3 and 5 times. Either way...I see what you want to do, and it causes neutrality. That is generally good, but as I said, it could be worse than counterpicking. The more I think about it the more I like the order locking though.

Another reason I keep coming back to Bo3 and Bo5 is it allows the counterpicking within your three characters. It is great casually, but even for smashfests it's a bit time consuming (depending on the size). It really is a fun idea. Sorry if I sounded harsh a bit.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I actually hosted such an event back in june. The only changes in the rules I made, is that all characters are primarly set, the first character is chosen without your opponent knows, but the 2 other characters can be played in any order, which means the loser can counterpick the character he wants. Beside that, my rules were about the se

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if I sounded harsh a bit.

You didn't. Don't worry about it.

I actually hosted such an event back in june. The only changes in the rules I made, is that all characters are primarly set, the first character is chosen without your opponent knows, but the 2 other characters can be played in any order, which means the loser can counterpick the character he wants. Beside that, my rules were about the se

Oh yeah? That's pretty cool. How did it go?

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Everyone picked their main first except for a guy that picked it last and he almost won the tournament, the winner actually kinda cheated by counterpicking all 3 characters step by step. Therefore a good strategy is to pick your main last.

Top Bottom