• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kojin's Sonic Tech Lab *taking another look at Speed's Sonic*

Browny

Smash Hater
wtffff

when i heard the original version of that song for the first time im like... must buy this game, its legendary. id go so far as to say that song was what got me into sonic in the first place, i literally handt played any of his games since SA2b like, 8 years ago at a friends house until i saw the demo trailer with that in the background then went on to acquire sonic heroes lol. btw i didnt end up getting SR:ZG lol reviews were meh :p

infomon

Smash Scientist
Wow, I really don't know the properties of Sonic jumping on a grounded spring o_O

I'ma practice that stuff hardcore tmrw. I never think to Spring > Dair cancel > jump on spring at people; instead I just wait before I try a Spring > Uair which often fails :urg:

w00t s'liek new ATz for mez :laugh:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
wtffff

when i heard the original version of that song for the first time im like... must buy this game, its legendary. id go so far as to say that song was what got me into sonic in the first place, i literally handt played any of his games since SA2b like, 8 years ago at a friends house until i saw the demo trailer with that in the background then went on to acquire sonic heroes lol. btw i didnt end up getting SR:ZG lol reviews were meh :p
0_o

You're lucky you're an entire continent away from me, else I'd find you and rip your throat out...

And shove gallons upon gallons of steak inside, while forcing you to play ALL of the Sonic games from '91-'02.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
bumpity bump.

Anyways. I practiced using the spring offensively. SO far, the most comfortable thing saw that i could possibly use in a match was:

UpB (grounded)> once on floor, bair or fair towards spring> Spring Cancelled Dair, then either
1:wait a split second longer so that the next dair will land on either side of the spring, or
2: Up B immediaetly after the Spring Cancelled Dair> Dair away, to aid in the prevention of counter attack as well.

I need to face some opponents to see what possiblities may come from this, but even it nothing got set up, i liked this because I'd still be relatively safe, while still moving around at high speed. At least that's what I think... I'll hopefully have somehing to talk about later.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
bumpity bump.

Anyways. I practiced using the spring offensively. SO far, the most comfortable thing saw that i could possibly use in a match was:

UpB (grounded)> once on floor, bair or fair towards spring> Spring Cancelled Dair, then either
1:wait a split second longer so that the next dair will land on either side of the spring, or
2: Up B immediaetly after the Spring Cancelled Dair> Dair away, to aid in the prevention of counter attack as well.

I need to face some opponents to see what possiblities may come from this, but even it nothing got set up, i liked this because I'd still be relatively safe, while still moving around at high speed. At least that's what I think... I'll hopefully have somehing to talk about later.
This seems overly compliated with almost no payoffs unless your opponent runs blindly into you.

Is there honestly a good application for this kind of technique?

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
lets see if that is the case. I'd also suggest you do the same. otherwise we will never know for sure, and only speculate.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
sure. I guess.
tired the spring tech in a match today. i messed up,. but it seemed to be okay. on the side note, im trying to implloy more of RATS Movement strategy in addition to my own. the result: when I was patient, I literally did not get touched, and even used SideB>shield and rolled towards my opponent to set up grabs well. When I wasn't patient, i got pwnd. go figure. But, I feel like I got even more mobile now...

dragoncrescent

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if anyone had discovered these ones yet, but here goes:

1) when running, if you come to an abrupt stop, you can still press the A button for about half a second and Sonic will go into his Dash attack animation. I've used it a bit to psych out the timing on Peach and Metaknight, but otherwise not too useful

2) while hanging on the edge, press away and jump. Sonic will do a walljump off the ledge and be facing towards the abyss. You can easily recover (and still have your Spring Jump), but you also set yourself up for a quick B-air on an approaching opponent. The timing is a bit tricky. As far as I can tell, it seems to be tap Away from the ledge, and immediately X or Y.

infomon

Smash Scientist
^^ those are known, and this isn't the right thread for it lol... but yeah I always forget about the instant-walljump thing, it's tricky but I'm sure it could be useful if I practiced it. So thx.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
So I figured out another reason why uair is awesomee.

It seems to increase the range of Sonics Recovery.

Sonic normally Recovers so that his feet are pointing downwards. Uair causes him to flip over and land on his head, so he is essentially gaining some vertical distance. Not to mention the safeness associated with using uair to recover from below.

Sonic normally recovers like this:

O: Sonics Head
ll: Sonics torso and legs

O
ll

Uair makes him go like this.

ll
O

Without actually losing vertical distance, his legs essentially rotate around his body, so that his body is the axis of rotation. Because hs legs move up, he is gaining the vertical distance of about his legs. Not much, but you'd be surprised how useful it can be for recovering sometimes.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
So I figured out another reason why uair is awesomee.

It seems to increase the range of Sonics Recovery.

Sonic normally Recovers so that his feet are pointing downwards. Uair causes him to flip over and land on his head, so he is essentially gaining some vertical distance. Not to mention the safeness associated with using uair to recover from below.

Sonic normally recovers like this:

O: Sonics Head
ll: Sonics torso and legs

O
ll

Uair makes him go like this.

ll
O

Without actually losing vertical distance, his legs essentially rotate around his body, so that his body is the axis of rotation. Because hs legs move up, he is gaining the vertical distance of about his legs. Not much, but you'd be surprised how useful it can be for recovering sometimes.
Would this be useful for grabbing the ledge?

Oh, and Pg. 90 in tourney results, post 1338. NOW.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Would this be useful for grabbing the ledge?
Sadly, my experiments say no. Since the ending lag on Uair is enough that you've lost any height it may have gained you. Which makes me think the only time it might help a recovery is if wall is not grabbable, like the right edge on the first half of Frigate Orpheon. But I haven't been able to conclusively convince myself that the Uair can help. But maybe.... it's a pretty neat discovery, Napz :)

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
I was playing around in training mode today, and i was on the ledge. I fastfell, immediately down B>spinshot into the wall, Wall bounce> regrab the ledge. This looks cool. Ima try to get used to that, i thought that if i did this, and someone tired to gregrab the ledge before i did, not only could I attack them as they hung on there before they could counter, but i still had my spring jump, and the spring could pop them off, and set up gimps. what? that's genious? why thank you. But seriously, havent really seen it in vids at all, so i posted that here. discuss.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
funny thing happened on the way to brawl...

i was online doing that battle anyone thing, and Im positive that i played the same samus like 15 times, because he'd always come at me. I was winning almost every one, so i figtured he wanted revenge, but man, it was so obvious. I chose D3 mostly. It got to the point that it seemed like we got sent to temple every time, then all three would just team on me, while samus shot from afar. I'm runnin my *** off, trying to fight them one at a time. hilarious, since i still won. I hope that samus learned his lesson. You Samus player who is clearly without steak, learn to player. better yet, learn to just play. you suck.

that teaming bull**** got on my nerves.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I was playing around in training mode today, and i was on the ledge. I fastfell, immediately down B>spinshot into the wall, Wall bounce> regrab the ledge. This looks cool. Ima try to get used to that, i thought that if i did this, and someone tired to gregrab the ledge before i did, not only could I attack them as they hung on there before they could counter, but i still had my spring jump, and the spring could pop them off, and set up gimps. what? that's genious? why thank you. But seriously, havent really seen it in vids at all, so i posted that here. discuss.
the new ledge tech i told you about is better

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
i dont remember what youre talkin about. how did i give you the idea for that? you talking about that weird recovery on my vid?

*important announcement!!!* I am planning to make a sonic vid soon about Sonic Dittos! The music and title are set, but one thing is needed: the vids! I call upon the forces of steak and ask for you guys to send me any vids of Sonic ditto matches, especially between good Sonic mains. By doing so, you are granting me permission to use in the video in anyway I see fit, but i assure you its for the making of a kick *** vid. Your name will be in the credits whether you made the vid, or participated in the matches. I really need you guys help on this. even if the match is bad, but had a sweet moment, or wierd moment, those tidbits of steak I am am after. Boxob, Tenki, DNES, Puffball, and you other guys, I'm counting on you...

I will be using Adobe Premire, and the vid will go on youtube, so keep that in mind when formatting the vid. my email is kirby1984@excite.com. thank you in advance for your help.[/B]

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
i dont remember what youre talkin about. how did i give you the idea for that? you talking about that weird recovery on my vid?

*important announcement!!!* I am planning to make a sonic vid soon about Sonic Dittos! The music and title are set, but one thing is needed: the vids! I call upon the forces of steak and ask for you guys to send me any vids of Sonic ditto matches, especially between good Sonic mains. By doing so, you are granting me permission to use in the video in anyway I see fit, but i assure you its for the making of a kick *** vid. Your name will be in the credits whether you made the vid, or participated in the matches. I really need you guys help on this. even if the match is bad, but had a sweet moment, or wierd moment, those tidbits of steak I am am after. Boxob, Tenki, DNES, Puffball, and you other guys, I'm counting on you...

I will be using Adobe Premire, and the vid will go on youtube, so keep that in mind when formatting the vid. my email is kirby1984@excite.com. thank you in advance for your help.[/B]
The WSCs have an abundance of Sonic Ditto videos. However, the videos are all WiFi, and old, so there'd be an issue on that matter. However, there's some awesome moments in those matches.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
I'd like newer matches, the reason being it'll be more unique and fun if we saw some fresh material, not just clips of what we already seen. c'mon, step it up!

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
okay, then next time, just record them with someting else. I'm trying to do the same thing, but I don't see good sonics in my area often at all...

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I think best Sonic dittos will only be online unless you're lucky enough to be in Texas right now. Iron... I fought someone today who I had no clue was gonna use Sonic (and the same color on me)... there's some good stuff in them. I'm going to throw them on youtube and if you like anythink jay I'll send you some better quality vids of the matches.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Kojin, me Boxob have EPIC dittos.

Actually, I have EPIC dittos with almost anyone.

Napilopez has most of my dittos matches.

:093:

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
thanks boxhead. that means a lot. excpet for that no steak part. but i have so much in the fridge, i probably don't need any more from you anyways...

just let me know if you got vids on youtube i should specifically look for on sonic dittos. I may have to go online and play some of you guys unfortunately, VA/MD is not really a Sonic area. Its more about meta. sigh... I don't have recording with me so If I sonic ditto you can you please record it for me and send it to me later? I'm probably going to be on wednsday night so look for me then.

Top Bottom