• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Konga Beat: How exactly does it work?

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Yeah, so, watching this video, I got a better feel of what DK's Final Smash is like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9bqdOH3js0

The video was a bit shakey when they were shooting the part with DK's Kong Beat, but it looks like DK just smacks the bongos and produces wavelengths...

Do they, like, get bigger when you press more buttons or something? What's the deal with this?

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
It would be easier to tell if they didn't freakin' zoom in on DK and let us actually see what was happening >_>

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Hmm Even though he starts it off close, the initial strike threw Mario away, so it wasn't effective...Perhaps it could be used as a edgegaurd?
An edgegaurd for a Final Smash? That's be lame. Anyway, on the Dojo it said," Press buttons in time to the beat to really get things hopping." I assume that means if you presss the buttons it will gain more power and probably distance.

Cojiro

Smash Journeyman
I hope the player was "drumming" really poorly in that vid, because it looked pretty substandard. I hope the effect radius is many times bigger when going with the rhythm.

As an AoE Smash, compare with Mario (DBZ Ahoy!) and Samus' Blue Beam of Doom.

You don't want something looking so gnarly to be craptacular.

nuro

Smash Lord
i think if u press the buttons to the beat on the screen it gets bigger since it appears from a rhythm game after all plus i think i heard someone say thats how it works

also, he was in a bad position since he was all the way at the side of the stage he should of been more in the middle

and i bet when you can hear the sound you can hear a distinctive beat but since its E for all and those boothbabes are screaming at the top of their lungs the guy probably didnt hear any in game music

Cojiro

Smash Journeyman
i think if u press the buttons to the beat on the screen it gets bigger since it appears from a rhythm game after all plus i think i heard someone say thats how it works

also, he was in a bad position since he was all the way at the side of the stage he should of been more in the middle

and i bet when you can hear the sound you can hear a distinctive beat but since its E for all and those boothbabes are screaming at the top of their lungs the guy probably didnt hear any in game music
Good point, especially about those harpy queens.

This is one of the most interesting Final Smashes we have seen IMO, so I'd love it to be 'teh pwnzors'. :)

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Interesting. I haven't seen anything of this Final Smash yet except that one vid you linked to. The concept of drumming suits DK really well, but right of now it seems to me that this Final Smash is not by long any of the better ones in the game. I mean, you stay in one place. Good thing you're invincible or it would be too useless. Judging from the range we can see in that vid combined with the fact you can not move, it does not give me the impression of what a Final Smash should be, just look at some others. That's why I really hope the player in the vid was not executing it at it's best ;o I guess that radius might be able to increase in range.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i updated my final smashes list on my updates thread.. donkey kong's just isnt' very good. I used him and did the whole beat thing, even at its maximum range it is VERY easily avoidable, his final smash shouold've been something completely different, the best application we thought of was a final smash edgeguard.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
i updated my final smashes list on my updates thread.. donkey kong's just isnt' very good. I used him and did the whole beat thing, even at its maximum range it is VERY easily avoidable, his final smash shouold've been something completely different, the best application we thought of was a final smash edgeguard.
I see...

BTW, what's the whole point of "edgeguard"?

NukeA6

Smash Master
So sad that my main has the worst Final Smash so far. It would only be useful for edge-guarding (but will leave you vulnerable when the player revives) and against noobs.

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Let's hope it doesn't have the Kirby Stone kind of lag. Like, when you finish the attack, you're immediately vulnerable again (in Kirby's case, when he transforms back). Such lag can be deadly.

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
BTW, what's the whole point of "edgeguard"?
last i checked, it's merely the strategy of protecting the edge of the arena, preventing someone who's out in the air to get back onto the platform, usually by hitting them before they can reach the platform with an extending attack, or in the metagame, by grabbing the ledge and using a spot of invincibility to prevent the opponent from both grabbing the ledge and attacking you.

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
Yeah, so, watching this video, I got a better feel of what DK's Final Smash is like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9bqdOH3js0

The video was a bit shakey when they were shooting the part with DK's Kong Beat, but it looks like DK just smacks the bongos and produces wavelengths...

Do they, like, get bigger when you press more buttons or something? What's the deal with this?
After playing DK at E for All, i can honestly say his final smash sucks. Sorry guys, im a DK lover too, but his was by far the most dissapointing

Yeah I couldnt really hear the in game music too well because of the booth babes and other noise and such, but i did tap the buttons repeatedly which seemed to have no effect

QFT. His final smash is THE WORST imo. all one needs to do to avoid is just be a minimal range away from DK. Not only is the range of it short, but it only attacks once every second or so. Hopefully myself and others missed the proper technique to use his FS, or maybe they'll buff it up before the final build.

as of right now it is FAIL

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling that the final smash works better if you are able to hear the beat and press the button in rhythm to it.

Manjot

Smash Apprentice
i think it makes you invincible for a while afterwards and the better beat the longer your invincible

Dr.Z

Smash Cadet
It's so sad that DK is possibly going to be the lowest tier of the game...from gimpyfish's perspective atleast...which is saying a lot.

DiscoShark

Smash Apprentice
Just for people who haven't really seen the "maximum range" of DKs FS. You can see random shockwaves going across the ENTIRE field, obviously theres more potential to this then what was previously thought. It's a final smash that requires mastering in order to reach its full effect. The amount of other sounds at E4all probably made it harder to stay in tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12-2MOcHKWo

I apologize if this was previously posted but honestly the FS Compilation really doesn't do DK justice.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
It's so sad that DK is possibly going to be the lowest tier of the game...from gimpyfish's perspective atleast...which is saying a lot.
Which is a shame, seeing as he was never really a high tier to begin with.

...If you believe in tiers, that is. Which I don't.

Chains

Smash Apprentice
Just for people who haven't really seen the "maximum range" of DKs FS. You can see random shockwaves going across the ENTIRE field, obviously theres more potential to this then what was previously thought. It's a final smash that requires mastering in order to reach its full effect. The amount of other sounds at E4all probably made it harder to stay in tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12-2MOcHKWo

I apologize if this was previously posted but honestly the FS Compilation really doesn't do DK justice.
That's AMAZING.
WOW.
I thought this final smash sucked.(and it still kinda does)

Zek

Smash Ace
I think there must be more to DK's final smash than we know about yet. It might not be great but they couldn't have knowingly made it as awful as it looks in the videos. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Dr.Z

Smash Cadet
Most likely they will fix the problem after noticing people's gameplay with him. Hopefully DK won't be a ***** to play.

Icetrash

Smash Journeyman
Maaan have they ruined DK ever since Rare left. Kids now days have to witness DK beating bongos like a pansy instead of seeing his awesome side which is his brute strength in DKC series and DK64. I say base DK, including his FS, on his glory days!

WarioII

Smash Apprentice
Maaan have they ruined DK ever since Rare left. Kids now days have to witness DK beating bongos like a pansy instead of seeing his awesome side which is his brute strength in DKC series and DK64. I say base DK, including his FS, on his glory days!
i thought the bongos were a good way to go but yeah they did ruin the dk series when rare left i second that i hope that microsoft doesnt make a game because it will BOMB

iMichael

Smash Lord
DK still has one of the coolest final smashes to me. It takes time to master it and that's what I like about it, although I'm not a DK player. Those waves got huge and with perfect timing...you'll be able to have each wave be as big as the stage. We can't really just say he has the worst final smash because last time I checked...ZSS turned back into Samus. Yeah how lame. We'll just have to wait for a good DK player to master it and put it up on youtube I guess.

Yes, it's late.......I'm tired.

Top Bottom