• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Koopa Questions: a Bowser Q&A Thread

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
When you say "wait and follow", you mean those characters can be regrabbed through an air release or ground release right? So I should just wait and react/regrab accordingly?

B!squick

Smash Master
Bowser Jr. would have to have some sort of crippling weakness to avoid being a top tier character. Nintendo, either make BJ as I affectionately call him or make Bowser himself more awesome in the next game, plox.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I... really don't like Bowser Jr., lol.

He premiered in the worst "regular" Mario game ever. His role was lame.

Unlike the Koopalings, which Nintendo was obviously trying to replace, he doesn't have any attributes beyond "when I grow up I'm gonna beat Mario".

Super Mario Galaxy only confirmed that.

Of course they didn't dare make a sequel to Super Mario Bros. 3 without the koopalings, so now Bowser doesn't have 1 or 7 kids. He has 8, 1 of which is an obvious favorite, which is really lame.

He's just about as lame as Waluigi.

If he ever made it into Smash, which I hope he doesn't, he would be probably be bottom tier, unless they compensated his short reach with fast movement and combo ability à la Squirtle.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Hey just got some questions about jab-cancelling-

Is it the first or second jab that should be cancelled?

What are the best follow-ups?

Thanks in advance.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
1. You can't cancel the second jab lol, Bowser's jab is a two-hit combo
2. I have no clue since I suck at jab canceling; ask Ixis. However, I'd assume that Grabbing might be a good option, as is following into another jab cancel or jab combo. FTilt might work too.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
If you grab release -> Jab grab cancel F-tilt is it guaranteed or just a mixup?

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Hmm I guess regrab or Klaw out of jab cancel would be good but if you just roll backwards neither would work I just dont get the point lol

The Brown Scourge

Smash Journeyman
Bowzer Jr. shouldn't have firebreath. Instead, he should be able to spew out fireballs.
One of his taunts would be to put on that mask of his and growl
Oh man, I really want him in the next one. If I don't main bowzer then I could always pick up Bjr.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Rolling's bad. That's why no one does it and why you don't need to worry about it.
Whats wrong with rolling back after getting grab released? better then teching and getting re grabbed or jab cancelled and your completely safe

Flayl

Smash Hero
Whats wrong with rolling back after getting grab released? better then teching and getting re grabbed or jab cancelled and your completely safe
- Roll invincibility starts on frame 4
- Succesful hit with Jab1 that can lead to Klaw gives either a +5 or +9 frame advantage
- Ground klaw comes out frame 8

Thus if you try to roll away from a Jab cancel to Klaw, you'll just get grabbed.

B!squick

Smash Master
Yeah, you can get grabbed while invincible anyway. That's why you UpB OoS and not just whenever you're near the opponent. Only a few characters have decent rolls and even then you rarely see it. Rolling is several frames worth of commitment that leaves you vulnerable during the start up and after said roll and rolling away only serves to reset yourself to a neutral position. This same thing can be achieved with a short hop backwards and doesn't leave you anywhere near as vulnerable.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
So your saying if somebody rolls backwards that you can get a guaranteed jab cancel klaw? :O

Flayl

Smash Hero
Depends on the position of the opponent when jabbed and if the klaw is input/buffered correctly, yes.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Hey guys just wandering what you guys think of b-sticking, it's appealiing to me because it'd make Klaw Hopping, upb OOS, and aerial Klaw more comfortable for me (this is all with R to jump).

I was just wondering if this was a good idea, or is c-sticking too valuable to be switched?

Also, with jab cancels, is the idea to press down during the animation of the first jab, then release it before the next command? If yo uwant to jab-grab, do you have to release down before you grab?

B!squick

Smash Master
Bowser's smash are not something that should be used often so B-Sticking should be fine. Just use whatever's comfortable.

When I jab cancel, er, when I played anyway, I just got to the point where I could input my next action at the soonest possible moment, none of these crouching shenanigans. As practice I'd jab "cancel" into jab 1 again.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Bowser's smash are not something that should be used often so B-Sticking should be fine. Just use whatever's comfortable.

When I jab cancel, er, when I played anyway, I just got to the point where I could input my next action at the soonest possible moment, none of these crouching shenanigans. As practice I'd jab "cancel" into jab 1 again.
That's good to hear, because I've started b-sticking with him, and I'm no expert but I really like it.

With R to jump (it's still easy to SH with Bowser with R) you can do some pretty cool things that weaker players like me would normally find hard to do.

Klaw Hopping, retreating Klaw, fast falled Klaw, jab to Klaw, reverse downb (don't know if anyone uses that)and upb all become easy for weaker players like myself.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
They're probably not, but I've only used Bowser for about 30 minutes so it accelerates my precision, before I could only hop 3-4 times in a row, now I can do it indefinitely, before I wouldn't be able to Klaw someone diagonally below immediately as I FF, and I couldn't reverse downb before(don't know that if that's important though), so yeah it just makes things easier.

I did specify 'for weaker players lol'.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Yeah I know he's not the most technical char in the game, but I've never really used him properly before so I wanted a quickfix to Klaw Hop consistenly on wifi.

For some reason I just find it awkward to do attacks out of retreating aerials, and have trouble directing upb properly, so yeah it just helps me for things little things like that. It's not like I'm really losing anything from b-sticking anyway, and it's not like I ever claimed it was going to be a revolution in Bowser's metagame or anything, just thought it'd hep weaker players who haven't used him before that's all lol.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Klawhopping on wifi? Use the same solution that is used on laggy TVs.

Klaw, and then mash jump. Since timing is out of the question, pressing jump a lot helps for it to come out.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I don't get how it's difficult to Klawhop on WiFi. Offline allows your Klawhopping to be precise and SO much easier, I know. D:

But really, unless the lag does a Wolf O Donnell and won't let you do that because it's just extremely atrocious and the button lag makes your jump come out two seconds after (which is where the mash jump thing MrEh was talking about works), I don't see how it's difficult. That's usually the case though lmao. When WiFi actually is bearable, I just do Klawhopping the traditional way with little to no problem (maybe I just get used to WiFi's bull**** easily).

Granted, you shouldn't really be using Bowser on WiFi anyway. But hey, look at me, I don't listen to myself at all, lol.

Oh and laggy TVs are awful. Very much so -.-

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I don't get how it's difficult to Klawhop on WiFi. Offline allows your Klawhopping to be precise and SO much easier, I know. D:

But really, unless the lag does a Wolf O Donnell and won't let you do that because it's just extremely atrocious and the button lag makes your jump come out two seconds after (which is where the mash jump thing MrEh was talking about works), I don't see how it's difficult. That's usually the case though lmao. When WiFi actually is bearable, I just do Klawhopping the traditional way with little to no problem (maybe I just get used to WiFi's bull**** easily).

Granted, you shouldn't really be using Bowser on WiFi anyway. But hey, look at me, I don't listen to myself at all, lol.

Oh and laggy TVs are awful. Very much so -.-
I can normally Klaw Hop consistently on wifi, but only when b-sticking. But why shouldn't Bowser be used on wifi? I thought that'd be the best place to use lower tiers considering it's just mucking around, but I dont' care if I use lower tiers, I don't care so much about placing well in tourneys, my goal is to just do well for my char's standards (even though I don't).

Top Bottom