• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kritique My Cirby

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
That Ike was weaker than a level 9, lolz.

Learn more "combos" DThrow -> FAir isn't gonna do much.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Ike is easy to gimp with Stone, or for his Side B, a well timed edgehog (you failed at it first try, but you got it second time)

Uair is a more reliable followup from fthrow than fair is

That Ike wasn't amazing, but that throw "combo" he did at 3:17 was pretty epic XD

Watch out when using Final Cutter onstage, it is RIDICULOUSLY punishable

You rolldodged into his upsmash spam...bad

I'm so jealous of you being able to play someone offline :(

Edgehog at 4:49 would have worked if you had rolled onstage (you had over 100% damage so it would have lasted longer than his Aether, and therefore would have been easy to do)

Get into the habit of pummeling at least once when you grab, it is very helpful

Ike's play was very obvious, and you punished him for it. You were a little repetitive at times, but it worked on him.

Keep in mind if you were facing a "top" Ike:
1. he would camp fairs/nairs, Final Cutter is your best option against this
2. your missed Inhales would be punished by ftilt or something else
3. spotdodging against Ike usually gets you hit by his vicious jab, and rolldodging into Ike usually gets you fsmashed XD you learned that I think at the end?
I play both Kirby and Ike so I know the matchup pretty well, especially since I play against Ikes all the time. Kirby might have a small advantage, but it's pretty annoying to fight good Ikes with his freaking jab and aerial camping -.-

Good job though, your Kirby is very good, and your play actually reminds me of myself quite a bit. You sure did make good use of fsmash, lol

Kirby Redux

Smash Journeyman
You need to use Final Cutter less often, practice combos (you use f-throw a lot, but rarely followed up with U-air or comboable air moves), and fight better people lmao. Though FC is good sometimes, you used it too often for my tastes. Other stuff said by Asidoh and Kawaii is good advice. Good, Kirby, not great... just good.

Jimtopia

Smash Apprentice
That Ike was weaker than a level 9, lolz.

Learn more "combos" DThrow -> FAir isn't gonna do much.
Learn more combo's got it. Also, you're lucky my friend doesn't go on Smashboards, lol, though if he did he'd probably be better.

Ike is easy to gimp with Stone, or for his Side B, a well timed edgehog (you failed at it first try, but you got it second time)

Uair is a more reliable followup from fthrow than fair is

That Ike wasn't amazing, but that throw "combo" he did at 3:17 was pretty epic XD

Watch out when using Final Cutter onstage, it is RIDICULOUSLY punishable

You rolldodged into his upsmash spam...bad

I'm so jealous of you being able to play someone offline :(

Edgehog at 4:49 would have worked if you had rolled onstage (you had over 100% damage so it would have lasted longer than his Aether, and therefore would have been easy to do)

Get into the habit of pummeling at least once when you grab, it is very helpful

Ike's play was very obvious, and you punished him for it. You were a little repetitive at times, but it worked on him.

Keep in mind if you were facing a "top" Ike:
1. he would camp fairs/nairs, Final Cutter is your best option against this
2. your missed Inhales would be punished by ftilt or something else
3. spotdodging against Ike usually gets you hit by his vicious jab, and rolldodging into Ike usually gets you fsmashed XD you learned that I think at the end?
I play both Kirby and Ike so I know the matchup pretty well, especially since I play against Ikes all the time. Kirby might have a small advantage, but it's pretty annoying to fight good Ikes with his freaking jab and aerial camping -.-

Good job though, your Kirby is very good, and your play actually reminds me of myself quite a bit. You sure did make good use of fsmash, lol
Thanks man, I'm glad you think I'm good, also thanks for all the advice. I do notice I'm quite repetitive at times, but as I always say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

You need to use Final Cutter less often, practice combos (you use f-throw a lot, but rarely followed up with U-air or comboable air moves), and fight better people lmao. Though FC is good sometimes, you used it too often for my tastes. Other stuff said by Asidoh and Kawaii is good advice. Good, Kirby, not great... just good.
Yeah I don't know why I was using Final Cutter so much, I don't usually use it that often. I guess I just really wanted to distance myself from Ike.

Not Great? Well that's what I'm going for, so I'd better practice more. :laugh:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
If you play wifi, I'd be happy to play you.

I haven't played many good Kirbys lately....last one I lost to was Ron (he's too good) a couple weeks ago.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
If you play wifi, I'd be happy to play you.

I haven't played many good Kirbys lately....last one I lost to was Ron (he's too good) a couple weeks ago.
....*Cough*

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hmmm... I have more to say to that Ike player than to you.... >.<

But anyway:

Never use FC against a shielding opponent. You see the shield, you DI away as you come down, the shockwave should cover you long enough to avoid punishment. However, if that Ike were any good, he would have hit you with canceled Nair>jab>jab cancel>jab>jab>grab/last jab (then if at the edge, grab release>Fair). So yeah, don't use FC against the shield.
I usually use FC more as a projectile or to clear the edge myself.

Also, at the edge, watch out if he grabs you. I know he can do a grab release>Fair on most characters, though I'm not sure if he can on Kirby.

Use more tilts, especially the Utilt. Utilt is ridiculously good for comboing and has insane priority. Works well with the Dthrow too.

You have to be careful when coming from above with Ike, since his Utilt is a good anti-air move and comes out fairly fast.

Your spacing was decent, though it could be better. You were a bit too agressive though. A good Ike could have punished you for it.

Nice Dair>throws though.

When edgeguarding Ike, make sure to grab the ledge as his sword is coming up. If you grabbed it and he hasn't started Aether, get off, or else he will spike you (though it's not too bad since Kirby can recover).

I liked the inhale against QA. However, if you miss, don't hold Inhale for too long, for a good player will punish it rather than run at it.

Your rolling battles were occasionally a bit predictable (on both sides).

Other than that, it was quite good. Sorry if I nitpick, I just try to help.

(By the way, don't make the mistaken assumption that just because I'm a nitpicking critiquer that I'm a good player :laugh: )

Jimtopia

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm... I have more to say to that Ike player than to you.... >.<

But anyway:

Never use FC against a shielding opponent. You see the shield, you DI away as you come down, the shockwave should cover you long enough to avoid punishment. However, if that Ike were any good, he would have hit you with canceled Nair>jab>jab cancel>jab>jab>grab/last jab (then if at the edge, grab release>Fair). So yeah, don't use FC against the shield.
I usually use FC more as a projectile or to clear the edge myself.

Also, at the edge, watch out if he grabs you. I know he can do a grab release>Fair on most characters, though I'm not sure if he can on Kirby.

Use more tilts, especially the Utilt. Utilt is ridiculously good for comboing and has insane priority. Works well with the Dthrow too.

You have to be careful when coming from above with Ike, since his Utilt is a good anti-air move and comes out fairly fast.

Your spacing was decent, though it could be better. You were a bit too agressive though. A good Ike could have punished you for it.

Nice Dair>throws though.

When edgeguarding Ike, make sure to grab the ledge as his sword is coming up. If you grabbed it and he hasn't started Aether, get off, or else he will spike you (though it's not too bad since Kirby can recover).

I liked the inhale against QA. However, if you miss, don't hold Inhale for too long, for a good player will punish it rather than run at it.

Your rolling battles were occasionally a bit predictable (on both sides).

Other than that, it was quite good. Sorry if I nitpick, I just try to help.

(By the way, don't make the mistaken assumption that just because I'm a nitpicking critiquer that I'm a good player :laugh: )
Thanks man, and you didn't seem nitpicky, this was good advice. :) Anyway, yeah I'll try doing more Utilts, and I'll work on my spacing, it felt like I was a little too close to him all the time.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Jimtopia, this is completely off topic, but the second of the six Kirbies in your sig is part of a picture that almost became my avatar.

Now, to the critiquing.

You seem to be doing the same things that I do, so I think I can help. I think I saw, maybe 1 tilt in those 2 matches combined (ftilt in the first one). You weren't really doing many combos (though you did have a few nice ones), and you tried to combo into FCs, which doesn't work. Like fromundaman said, you should have better timing when edge-hogging Ikes. Your inhale usage was extremely punishable, and if the Ike had been very good, that would have been trouble. I also don't think I saw many Uairs (if any). It's a great combo move and would work into a few of the combos that you (no offense) just FAILED when you tried to do (i.e. the FC "combos"). You should use the Gonzo Combo (if you don't know what it is, youtube it). You also didn't copy his ability at all, and Eruption is pretty good. There were also 2 useful moves which I didn't see you use at all (aerial hammer and edgeguarding stone), though I don't think you could've used stone much against that Ike.

It's funny how I need a lot of the advice I just gave you :)...

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
you tried to combo into FCs, which doesn't work.
Actually, at low percents on some characters, you can Uthrow>FC (though they can DI out if they see it coming.), but truly, you have better options at those %s. It's really only good for throwing someone off. Maybe do it the first life of the first match to make the guy think you're either so knowlegeable that you know combos no one else does, or that you're so ******** that you're trying to combo into FC.

You also didn't copy his ability at all, and Eruption is pretty good.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think eruption is a good move for either character.

Also, edgeguarding stone, while useful, is fairly situational (Unless you're on pirate ship, in which case stone your heart out when safe from spikes (AKA opponent has no good spikes/is in the water).

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
While edguarding stone is a bit situational, I can do it every 3 matches or so (sometimes more or sometimes less). Since Ike is slow, Kirby's eruption is a bit better than Ike's (by which I mean that a Kirby eruption would be one of only a few slow moves, while Ike has a bunch.

Top Bottom