• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kuja's (In)Complete Guide to Making Sonic an annoying ___!

fouxs2

Smash Cadet
It depends, in Adventure 2 I had NO problem with the homing attack, it was perfect, now with Heroes/Shadow/ pretty much all others.......

Really nice guide Kuja, Sonic is my main and I'm glad I read some of those things, specially the homing attack recovery gimping, didn't really thought of that.

Shadow5YA

Smash Cadet
I've been lurking on smashboards for about a couple of months now. But I suppose it doesn't make a bit of difference, guys. The balls ar..... nevermind.

here u get to see a bit of chu using Sonic against Azen's Marth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXyiae7X3pE
Two things I noticed about Sonic's homing attack:

1.) The default path, i.e. where you go when no one is in striking range is diagonally downwards, say about 45 degrees below the horizontal.

2.) Sonic figures out where he goes during that huge startup lag when he's just floating in ball mode for a second or two. If you move out of that path during that time, Sonic will miss. You can see that in effect at 0:07.

And his Brawl homing attack is nothing like his homing attack in the adventure games. Try fighting Shadow the last time on that endless track and homing attack him. Sometimes you can end up flying almost infinitely trying to homing attack him like in this video. You can't follow enemies like that in Brawl. Otherwise, you'd have one broken character.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
There aren't any tiers right now, seriously. Sonic can take anyone currently, if played right, just like CF can. Not Yoshi, though. Never Yoshi. D:

tw1n

Smash Champion
Ya... so sad. Brawl is almost over seas finally so i won't have to drive 30 minutes to play it lol. Hoping to play alot of good Sonics =D

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
man i guess its just not fair how lame yoshi is. feel bad for all his supporters. that they dont have some1 as awesome as sonic to root for.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
^Let's not fanboy this, mmkay.

I can't update this as nearly as often as I'd like until I get my own copy. And with everyone else pulling so many specific guides it's making it more diffficult to not only stand out but still be helpful. Hopefully I'll have some more relevant information, and even pull things from other topics.

tw1n

Smash Champion
Just don't plagarize :D And don't worry once you get your hands on the game you can rip sonic apart and tell everyone how it is

Sonic XD

Smash Ace
That's obviously false dude.

Anywho, they should have given Sonic a Sword so he'd have better priority. Also, his down b should have been Super transformation.
You probably use the gamecube controller rather than wiimote nunchuck its much better and if you can see sonic wont be bottom tier.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
That's obviously false dude.

Anywho, they should have given Sonic a Sword so he'd have better priority. Also, his down b should have been Super transformation.
You could fail less by figuring out how to work with what we got instead of b****ing about Sonic's poor priority. Sonic would be completely ridiculous if he had any high level of priority.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Sonic with a sword=insta-fail.

Saying that using a particular controller "unlocks" him= Super fail.

Having Kuja as part of your name= Whatever, you have to fail to.

JKJK, Kuja doesn't fail. The rest of you do.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
This thread should just be stickied and then locked, the posts being made in it are not that good, but I guess it should remain unlocked for when Kuja needs to update something.

Sharky

Smash Master
*note* it's called a stutter step, rather than a stutter smash. =P Just wanna keep it as much the same as T0MMY originally made it as possible =)

Digital Angel

Smash Journeyman
You could fail less by figuring out how to work with what we got instead of b****ing about Sonic's poor priority. Sonic would be completely ridiculous if he had any high level of priority.
Take a joke? Guys, you need to realize I love Sonic. I'm a bit pessimistic by nature. High priority would be pretty sick but I wish his was just a little better, match ups like Luigi are nigh impossible because seemingly nothing clashes much less out-prioritizes .

Sonic with a sword=insta-fail.

Saying that using a particular controller "unlocks" him= Super fail.

Having Kuja as part of your name= Whatever, you have to fail to.

JKJK, Kuja doesn't fail. The rest of you do.
...I wasn't being serious. More than anything I'm pissed that Sonic isn't seeming to fare well as some of the far less iconic characters. The fact that Olimar is in this game irks me; him having a good chance at being higher than Sonic tier wise is really upsetting, Olimar is a ****ing piece of ****. Seriously.

Shadowlyger

Smash Cadet
...I wasn't being serious. More than anything I'm pissed that Sonic isn't seeming to fare well as some of the far less iconic characters. The fact that Olimar is in this game irks me; him having a good chance at being higher than Sonic tier wise is really upsetting, Olimar is a ****ing piece of ****. Seriously.
DEATH TO YOU. Olimar is awesome. Sonic is more awesome, but Olimar is STILL awesome.

andy6915

Smash Rookie
Orochi says, and you you can tell by his videos, that Sonic's homing attack will go faster if you press the special button more then once. The lag is optional, and the wait that people do while it's just floating is them just making it do it automatically because you waited it's full time limit. If you press it again during the float, he will stop the floating, and just actually do the attack itself right then and there, with very little lag at all. With this, the homing attack is much better and more useful then anyone thought.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
however, isnt holding the special button supposed to make the hit stronger. i mean, we all know that the move is really weak either way but still doesnt it give it a little bit more oomf.

and btw lul'z @ you guys digital angel and XD were failing pretty hard bak there but its all for the lul'z right?
and lets be honest, we all know that having a "Z" in your name is the quickest way to failure anyway

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
however, isnt holding the special button supposed to make the hit stronger. i mean, we all know that the move is really weak either way but still doesnt it give it a little bit more oomf.
Actually, its damage, knockback, and trajectory are all very good. It's just connecting that's tough.

Edit: Just looked at SonicOrochi's video again (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INAunUpdQKo) and the three times that he does quick homing attacks, the damage is the same (7-8%). The knockback distance and trajectory also seem the same. In short, there seems to be no disadvantage.

This just begs the question then: did they purposefully make it so that a non-"charged" version has no advantages?

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
Actually, its damage, knockback, and trajectory are all very good. It's just connecting that's tough.

Edit: Just looked at SonicOrochi's video again (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INAunUpdQKo) and the three times that he does quick homing attacks, the damage is the same (7-8%). The knockback distance and trajectory also seem the same. In short, there seems to be no disadvantage.

This just begs the question then: did they purposefully make it so that a non-"charged" version has no advantages?
Having it take a little longer can be an advantage in itself. That's what's known as a stall.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i touched on that in another thread i think... it can be used to bait a turtle out of their sheild and than smack them

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
lol update, I managed to make the homing attack annoying instead of just stupid.

Still can't beat R.O.B though. That bot is a pain in the ***. Has Eggman FINALLY devised a robot that matches Sonic (not named Metal Sonic)?

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Nah, they shouldn't fall for the stalled version. Even if they react for the quick one, they still have time to counter before the stalled one comes out. Stalled homing attack is sloooooooooooooooow.

RickettsZ22

Smash Cadet
this was definitly helpful, it just makes more angry that I have to wait while japan is already getting better, they released it there first so if there was a world tourney they would have the upper edge

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Well kids, this is my 1337 post!

And I'm here to say kids, there's nothing more cool than developing your own style to Sonic, but if someone tries to KO with unreliable power strikes, that's no good. It's YOUR Sonic, but ya gotta play him smart!

First, you knock 'em off the stage, then ya gimp them until they lose! That's not the only way, but it's one of the best!

This is Kuja, signing out.

Top Bottom