• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KY/OH Rankings: Round 2

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Accidentally posted this in GAMEFAQs, good start >_>

--

This one will start off smaller and have a bit more stuff added to it.

What this is:

This is not a power ranking, but rather a list showing who is the most successful players that attend OH/KY tournaments. Want to improve your rank on this list? Attend more tournaments and place highly.

While this can be used as a sort of power ranking in that better players will end up higher up, it fails when you have players that attend sporadically and doesn't account for getting a hard or easy bracket, who you beat/lose to, and all those other variables that help determine skill. No one would care if someone played D3 and had a bracket full of Bowsers, but if he had a bracket full of Falcos and Olimars people might care. This ranking system does not; it only cares for the $ amount and the placement.

Some of you may find this to be uncomfortable because it "challenges" notions of skill. Don't take it too far to heart; one month of missed or attended tournaments can drastically change this list and the results of the list at any given point aren't really as important so much as the trends are.

At the end of every month (Starting with April) I will forever catalog the rankings of that month so we can maybe see some trends.

The forumla for the money part of this is simple: I figure out how much people win $-wise and add that to their name. That's it.

The formula for the rankings part is also simple! This might seem familiar to you:

1 - 40 pts
2 - 30 pts
3 - 20 pts
4 - 15 pts
5 - 10 pts
7 - 8 pts
9 - 6 pts
13- 4 pts
17 - 2 pts
25 - 1 pt

You might remember this as the points I used for the Midwest Circuit East. While this does not account for varying factors like attendance, who you beat, OoR competition, etc., that's okay! This point system is designed solely to encourage attendance, not to find skill. It takes skill to make the points, but someone that goes to 8 tournaments and places 9th will earn more points than someone who goes to only one tournament and places 1st (but not by much).

I AM CURRENTLY MISSING TOURNAMENTS ON THIS LIST. See the collapsed section below; if a tournament in Ohio/KY from February 2011 onward (1 month buffer from MK ban) exists, let me know and I'll add it.

Tournaments that fit this list:
-MK Banned
-Total Payouts or entry fee + payout %
-Results plainly listed
-Date and Location of tournament somewhere in the thread
-Ruleset must have some modicum of sanity (conservative or liberal stagelists are fine, but no items / FFA / banned stages only / iron man / other experimental stuff)
-Must have at least 16 players (16 singles entry or in the case of doubles 8 teams)

Tournaments used so far (dates may be approximate):

Okay, halfway through doing Doubles for this I said "eff that". It's a lot of work and it basically is me and Kel winning every event that doesn't have OoR competition followed by whatever top two singles players are teaming together, and people don't have consistent partners. People need consistent partners to do well.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
These results are tentative; they only have 4 tournaments over 3 months! I believe (hope...) that we've had more tournaments than that. So please, by all means, post a link to other tournaments that happened in Ohio or Kentucky that fit the criteria listed above and I'll add it in ASAP.

Money won:

That's right, Ally is the most successful OH/KY player! :p

Vengeance overshadows all the other results, with the 1st/2nd from there coming in on top here, followed by Boss' win of How the Midwest was Won. Coming afterwards in 4th is Kel, currently the highest grossing local player 5th is MJG close behind, then a $40 drop off followed by a 3-way tie between myself, Tako, and Dooms(Joey) for 7th-9th, with Fino taking up the final spot in the top ten.

From this small selection of tournaments, we have literally all OoR players, the entirety of GUNPUNCH!, and Dooms winning money in the top ten. 11th through 17th is all below $50 in winnings, but includes POPS, Luminoth, Reflex, Logic, Blue Rogue, Ralph Cecil, and Mister Eric.

Numbers:

Ally 379.2
Kain 173.8
Boss 154
Kel 126
MJG 110.6
Dooms 70
Overswarm 70
Sneaky Tako 70
Fino 63.2
POPS 49
Luminoth 42
Reflex 31.6
Logic 31.6
Blue Rogue 28
Ralph Cecil 14
Mister Eric 14

For space reasons this only shows to 20th place; it is worth nothing that both Reflex and Logic have the same score at 18th-22nd place and were just cut off arbitrarily for space reasons.

Coming in on top is Kel and Tako with a tied score of 60 with me slightly behind with a score of 55. GUNPUNCH! again. After that are three separate singles winners, Dooms, Boss, and Ally, followed closley behind by Lumi. Kain has a slight drop off from Lumi, and Mister Eric coming in at spot #10.

Numbers:

Kel 20 30 10 60
Sneaky Tako 8 8 40 4 60
Overswarm 30 4 20 1 55
Dooms 40 40
Boss 40 40
Ally 40 40
Luminoth 6 30 36
Kain 30 30
Mister Eric 8 10 8 26
Sorasin 8 15 23
The_Smile 15 6 21
Ralph Cecil 10 10 1 21
POPS 20 20
MJG 20 20
Blue Rogue 15 15
Fino 15 15
Hoboz 10 10
Beta Dyne 6 4 10
Hilt 10 10
Reflex 10 10
Logic 10 10
Ryan 6 2 8
Kassandra 6 2 8
Crash 8 8
Luckay 8 8
Krystedez 8 8
Chuee 6 6
Dead 4 2 6
Sil 6 6
Suyon 6 6
PAPA Z 6 6
Clowsui 6 6
ForwardAir 6 6
Tactical 6 6
DeLux 6 6
Player-1 6 6
Roller 6 6
DRN 6 6
Tony 4 4
JMD 4 4
Sam 4 4
Cameron 4 4
Sombra 4 4
Sleep 4 4
Excel 4 4
Jacob 4 4
Judo 4 4
AlphaZealot 4 4
DLA 4 4
Steven 2 1 3
Dark 2 2
David 2 2
Adam 2 2
XIII 2 2
Reptar 2 2
Carson 2 2
Ricky 2 2
Chris 1 1 2
Blazing Katakiri 2 2
Jiffy 2 2
Soulpatch 2 2
Auspher 2 2
TheKiest 2 2
Framerate 2 2
Taj 2 2
Tomb 2 2
Brad 2 2
Homewrecker 2 2
SAV 2 2
Tony 2 2
Annet 2 2
Zeton 2 2
Dyno 2 2
MX 2 2
Legan 2 2
Fizzle 2 2
FAE 2 2
Zinoto 2 2
Technichal_Chase 2 2
Luna Lang 1 1
Michael 1 1
Josh 1 1
Exdia 1 1
Shurikan 1 1
Nyph 1 1
Yirby 1 1
PeppyWil 1 1
Nakamaru 1 1
JBRO 1 1
Kiba 1 1
Fields 1 1
Riku 1 1
Nomad 1 1
Mr. H 1 1
Denny 1 1
Hadesblade 1 1
FF Ori_bro 1 1
Bpow 1 1
WTP 1 1
Light 1 1
EddieG 1 1

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I like the system, but where's the hat pictures? Also, i don't like the system because of :d3fat: in a :wofl: state.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
only 8 points. Im terrible.
4 points*

The last number in the raw number data is your total.

I have to be missing tournaments. These are seriously the only tournaments since February in these two states? I have to be missing NEOH tournaments or something at least.

Jiffyboob

Smash Lord
4 points*

The last number in the raw number data is your total.

I have to be missing tournaments. These are seriously the only tournaments since February in these two states? I have to be missing NEOH tournaments or something at least.
fine......

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=321469

:grin:

1. Blue Rogue ($126)
2. AlphaZealot ($63)
3. Jiffyboob ($21)
4. Suyon
5. Rikku~
5. Malcolm Blackwell
7. Adam Hynes
7. Joey Rowan
9. Jeremy Biddinger
9. Kristopher Koons
9. Kevin Vaughn
9. Angel Jackson
13. Tyler Harbert
13. Bryce Horner
13. Stuart Lytle
13. Brayden Harbert

It meets your requirements too.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
^ The freest **** I have ever seen.
:denzel:
That's a good thing, imo. Large local tournaments are always way more fun for locals than stacked tournaments full of OoS people coming in. Having one big stacked one every once in a while is great, but OoS people coming in all the time would suck. The only thing worse than that is a really stacked local event where it's a ton of difficult games with no real chance to improve. Mountains to climb instead of hills and all that.

Added that tournament to the excel file, will add more all at once when people add 'em in. If you know of aaaaany tournaments from February to April, let me know so I can fill up April.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Oh that was just more a jab at Jiffy if anything :bee:

I commend you guys for getting proactive about reviving your scene. Its refreshing to see!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
That brought Blue Rogue up to tie me for 2nd place (5 behind Kel/Tako) in points and brought AZ up into the top 10, and brought Blue Rogue up to tie for 3rd place with Boss with $154 won, ahead of Kel in 4th by $28.

Another factoid:

There are a total of 113 unique viable entrants to tournaments in the OH/KY area if we had 100% attendance given the results so far. This includes OoS entrants to Vengeance, but they've already shown they're willing to visit under certain circumstances.

Something more troubling:

Using only points, 19/113 people have gained points at more than one tournament in this time span.

Given the current data, only 16.8% of our entrants are willing to really travel any great distance / attend multiple tournaments, it seems. This is a high estimate because the numbers are inflated as we have two of one series (Louisville) in there right now.

Granted it's only top 25, but still. That's absurdly low.

It also means for people hosting local events that you can get good local attendance without people travelling, apparently.

Of all of the 19 people that have won money so far, a whopping total of 3 have won money (singles only) at more than one event: Myself, Kel, and Blue Rogue. Both my money winnings were from local S2D tournaments, and one of Kel's was.

OH needs more tournaments and more traveling players. Money is up for grabs. o_O

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Oh that was just more a jab at Jiffy if anything :bee:

I commend you guys for getting proactive about reviving your scene. Its refreshing to see!
If no one else is going to do it it might as well be GUNPUNCH!

Kel did a circuit
I did a circuit
we trained the God Kais up from nothing

If it weren't for Kiest in OUGA, Smashfield in Springfield, and AZ with his funsy Wings and Brew tournaments and the like in Columbus I don't think we'd have ever really had anything consistent in Ohio. Daycia/Chi's tournaments were always fairly successful, but more one-off things than month-by-month and whatnot.

Anyway, you haven't seen anything yet. You might not like what you see when you do though, cuz you're MI and you guys are like that. :B

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Don't forget Keist in Columbus as well now, too. I feel like Columbus' scene is like one or two people (or a venue) away from being the actual hub it should be.

Judo777

Smash Master
Did you count Revenge? and or Vengence I forget which is which. I got like 7 at one and 13th at the other (though i had by FAR the hardest bracket, possible exxageration).

Also small suggestion take it as you will, Maybe put some negative number son your scale? Otherwise more tournaments = more points and there is no downside to placing like garbage.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Did you count Revenge? and or Vengence I forget which is which. I got like 7 at one and 13th at the other (though i had by FAR the hardest bracket, possible exxageration).

Also small suggestion take it as you will, Maybe put some negative number son your scale? Otherwise more tournaments = more points and there is no downside to placing like garbage.
Revenge is from November, yo. Vengeance I counted, you got 4 points for 13th place. It's the only ranking tournament you currently have.

More tournaments is supposed to = more points. The only downside to placing like garbage is that individual placement. It's still a good way to improve. You want your score to improve, visit more tournaments, place well. This isn't a power ranking. This is ranking success. You could be the best player in the world, but if you only go to a tournament once every 4 months no one will really care. This goes doubly so for people that aren't the best in the world.

The higher you are on this list, the more successful you've been in OH/KY tournaments; pretty plain and simple.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I absolutely love the premise of this, especially since it encourages more tournament attendance in general. Good call, OS.

Roller

Smash Legend
Pretty sure OS made this thread to pat his own ego for winning some money at some random OH tourney.

He's portraying a specific set of data which allows for him to compare himself to Blue Rogue. lol

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Did we seriously only have 5 tournaments in all that time? No one remembers ANY other tournaments? Can't go through your subscriptions and find 'em? O_o

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Pretty sure OS made this thread to pat his own ego for winning some money at some random OH tourney.

He's portraying a specific set of data which allows for him to compare himself to Blue Rogue. lol
Must have been the same reason I did it last time using Ankoku's data in 2010 through September-February:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=267630

Considering the last time I played Blue Rogue in tournament I 3-0'd him in Winner's Finals and forced him to go Meta Knight in our final match and that was half a year after I got 1st in the circuit he got third in I don't think of all people I'd be comparing myself to, it'd be Blue Rogue. He'd probably be able to beat me now because I change characters every tournament or so, but I already proved to myself that I could best him in tournament more often than not.

The only player in OH that I've never been able to do that with is Shugo (who isn't present), and honestly my most consistent "rival" of sorts would be Alpha Zealot over anyone else. He has been as inactive or more inactive than I have recently, but for a time it was basically "AZ goes to tournament and loses to Mew2King and Lain" and he'd always be a tough match. He's the only player outside of GUNPUNCH! that was willing to actually learn stages. You have no idea how irritating it is to be playing MK, want to take a Diddy to Brinstar, but know that he knows as much about Brinstar as you.

I know it can be hard being from MI, but you guys gotta get over the whole little man syndrome. OH kids really just... don't care. This list isn't a power ranking; it's a list of success. Blue Rogue is currently the most financially successful player in Ohio not because he got 3rd in a larger tournament that Boss and Kel got 1st/2nd at, but because he got first at a local tournament against AZ and Jiffy. The place and the competition is irrelevant. It's just if there was a tournament. That's how this works. Attendance helps every time you make it out of pools (or top 32 bracket), and placing well just shoots you ahead.

Roller

Smash Legend

Judo777

Smash Master
Revenge is from November, yo. Vengeance I counted, you got 4 points for 13th place. It's the only ranking tournament you currently have.

More tournaments is supposed to = more points. The only downside to placing like garbage is that individual placement. It's still a good way to improve. You want your score to improve, visit more tournaments, place well. This isn't a power ranking. This is ranking success. You could be the best player in the world, but if you only go to a tournament once every 4 months no one will really care. This goes doubly so for people that aren't the best in the world.

The higher you are on this list, the more successful you've been in OH/KY tournaments; pretty plain and simple.
Silly OS I don't read posts before I comment on them :p (I didn't even look to see that November wasn't in your criterion haha)

Fair enough.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Roller, chill. His post was sound. I get wanting to call people out on bull**** (when it's warranted)...I do it too (I used to pester OS and Kel in the same exact fashion), but in this case you're just needlessly trying to provoke.

If you don't agree with the method that is fine, but once you've made that clear - just leave it be and move on.

:phone:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Silly OS I don't read posts before I comment on them :p (I didn't even look to see that November wasn't in your criterion haha)

Fair enough.
I just wanted to start at 2012, with January omitted to give time for the MK ban to "sink in" and normalize. February is generally the low point in the year for smash tournaments anyway.

Kel

Smash Master
Roller, chill. His post was sound. I get wanting to call people out on bull**** (when it's warranted)...I do it too (I used to pester OS and Kel in the same exact fashion), but in this case you're just needlessly trying to provoke.

If you don't agree with the method that is fine, but once you've made that clear - just leave it be and move on.

:phone:
Contrary to popular belief, Overswarm and I give less than 1% of a **** about what anyone on these boards say, including ourselves.

Ohio Power Rankings

Smash Cadet
PR revitalization/discussion is now underway. Keep up the good work on this thread Overswarm.

We may use some of this valuable information as a resource for future discussions.

Judo777

Smash Master
Contrary to popular belief, Overswarm and I give less than 1% of a **** about what anyone on these boards say, including ourselves, BUT JUDO'S WORD IS LAW .
Corrected.......lol

Top Bottom