• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

L Cancel Help

rainsaint

Smash Rookie
I've managed to perfect short hopping and other AT but learning L cancelling has to be one of the most frustrating things I've had to do smash wise. I've heard tips from changing how you hold your controller to L Cancelling with Z but I can't for the life of me get the timing perfect. Any help?

tysquirt

Smash Rookie
Okay, for starters, you need to understand L-canceling has 3 different sweet spots that are to be hit when SHFFLing. There's the missed one (nothing is hit), the one where you hit your opponent (slightly delayed), and the one where you hit your opponents shield (slightly more delayed). The easiest way to L cancel is to perform your aerial attack, and after the animation begins, press down on the control stick to fast fall. When your character is about to hit the ground, you press L. It sounds trivial, but pressing down on the control stick helps significantly when L-canceling. Additionally, Project M has a very nice feature to it: when your character successfully L-cancels, you flash white for the cancelled frames. Basically, you can see if you're L-cancelling if you see your character flashing. My last bit of advice is to really focus on your character. If you focus on what buttons you need to hit, you'll be able to hit them properly in sequence. It's all about the timing.

Kati

Smash Lord
Yeah a common misconception is that you press it as you are landing, but really, it has to be pressed before you land.

Training mode in slow motion is your friend if you are still having troubles.

Top Bottom